• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.
So UAB got the death penalty, is basically what happened at the end of the day.

And, like SMU, this is a hole they'll never climb out of. But hey at least it's back so the university can take some solace in that.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
So UAB doesn't care if they stop donating? I don't get Alabama school politics.
Did you not see my earlier post? There were no donations specific to the football program, and the donations that were already going to UAB were (and I don't care to find a source for this) 99.9% likely tied directly to the medical school. Those people are not going to stop making their donations regardless of whether the school has a football team or not.

Edit: I'm not saying that no contributions to athletics made it to football. But there have been numerous, numerous reports on the radio here from people who wanted to donate to UAB football, but were told that UAB would take their money, but that they wouldn't put it all directly to the football program.

Did you not see my earlier post? There were no donations specific to the football program, and the donations that were already going to UAB were (and I don't care to find a source for this) 99.9% likely tied directly to the medical school. Those people are not going to stop making their donations regardless of whether the school has a football team or not.

Edit: I'm not saying that no contributions to athletics made it to football. But there have been numerous, numerous reports on the radio here from people who wanted to donate to UAB football, but were told that UAB would take their money, but that they wouldn't put it all directly to the football program.
I heard the same. Does a decision such as foundation money get made at the administrative level or Board of Trustee level?

Edit: And my god wat are you doing, UCONN.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/6/1/8701123/ucf-uconn-rivalry-trophy

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Hmm, money to go towards Medical research or a mid-level C-USA team. decisions deciohyouchosemedicalshit.

andycapps

I still don't get the whole idea of people wanting to give your football program money, and then you turning them away. It's almost like they wanted the football team to fail...

Okay, I'm doing some research into Baby Bear and all this is making a bit more sense now. I knew the cards were stacked against UAB, didn't realize the extent of control that Bama has over UAB. This is a really interesting article, some funny musings in there about picking up Saban as HC. And Baby Bear sounds like a real piece of work. Member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans. :jnc

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I went to two otherwise D1 schools (transferred from one to the other) that didn't have football. The one has just added it in the past two years. The other still has no plans to do so (to my knowledge). I'm good with that. But then, I have no affinity for either's athletic program. I wonder if it's a chicken and egg thing? No football, no affinity? Whatever, who cares.

It will be interesting to see if Charlotte's football team if they garner any success, if that influences the other UNC satellite schools to get one. Surely UNCW could support one easy enough, UNCG is in a decent size metropolitan area and of all the colleges and universities in Greensboro, its the only one that doesn't have a football team, but has by far the largest enrollment.

Limedust

I heard the same. Does a decision such as foundation money get made at the administrative level or Board of Trustee level?

Edit: And my god wat are you doing, UCONN.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/6/1/8701123/ucf-uconn-rivalry-trophy

There's no way to say "Civil Conflict!" in an aggressive manner and not sound like a doofus.

This appears to be a real quote from Bob Diaco:
We're excited about this North/South battle. You want to call it the Civil Conflict? Maybe I'll win my money and make a trophy. I'll buy it myself. Put a big giant Husky and a big giant Knight on it. Make a stand. Put it in our hallway. The Civil Conflict. The loser, maybe they've got to put nutmeg on the stand when it's not there and we'll put a sack of oranges.

It will be interesting to see if Charlotte's football team if they garner any success, if that influences the other UNC satellite schools to get one. Surely UNCW could support one easy enough, UNCG is in a decent size metropolitan area and of all the colleges and universities in Greensboro, its the only one that doesn't have a football team, but has by far the largest enrollment.

UNCC is going (back) to C-USA this year, I believe. They'll make that conference forget all about UAB.

I think UNCG should start a program just to have a cross-town rivalry game with A&T.

mre

I have no clue, though I would not be surprised that it came down from the BoT.
I still don't get the whole idea of people wanting to give your football program money, and then you turning them away. It's almost like they wanted the football team to fail...

Okay, I'm doing some research into Baby Bear and all this is making a bit more sense now. I knew the cards were stacked against UAB, didn't realize the extent of control that Bama has over UAB. This is a really interesting article, some funny musings in there about picking up Saban as HC. And Baby Bear sounds like a real piece of work. Member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans. :jnc
The University of Alabama System has three schools: UA, UAB(irmingham), and UAH(untsville). The System Board of Trustees sees them as essentially being one large school, with UA as the state's flagship university. UAB has the system's (fantastic) medical school. UAH has a very well regarded engineering school, especially it's aerospace program. UA is the system's liberal arts college, but also has an excellent law school and is sinking money left and right into its STEM programs. The thinking with some (apparently, at least a majority) of the BoT members is that if these schools are all just cogs in the same UA machinery, then why does there need to be a duplication of things such as athletic departments / teams? UAB isn't the first school in the system to get fucked this way. The BoT tried to kill UAH hockey a few years ago, too. Thankfully, that also failed.

However, problems arise because the two satellite schools just don't see themselves this way. They look at themselves as wholly independent universities that just happen to be part of a larger system. They see themselves as equals to UA in every way. Except they're not. And I don't mean to disparage them, only to say that their interests are not equally represented in either the state legislature or on the BoT. UAB has tried to gain its independence in the past. Hell, a bill has recently been proposed to sever them apart. It's not going to happen because UAB has no leverage or power in the state, and the UA System BoT has no desire, much less a reason, to split the satellite schools off on their own. The Bot will never, ever let UAB go as long as UAB has the medical school.

andycapps

I have no clue, though I would not be surprised that it came down from the BoT.

The University of Alabama System has three schools: UA, UAB(irmingham), and UAH(untsville). The System Board of Trustees sees them as essentially being one large school, with UA as the state's flagship university. UAB has the system's (fantastic) medical school. UAH has a very well regarded engineering school, especially it's aerospace program. UA is the system's liberal arts college, but also has an excellent law school and is sinking money left and right into its STEM programs. The thinking with some (apparently, at least a majority) of the BoT members is that if these schools are all just cogs in the same UA machinery, then why does there need to be a duplication of things such as athletic departments / teams? UAB isn't the first school in the system to get fucked this way. The BoT tried to kill UAH hockey a few years ago, too. Thankfully, that also failed.

However, problems arise because the two satellite schools just don't see themselves this way. They look at themselves as wholly independent universities that just happen to be part of a larger system. They see themselves as equals to UA in every way. Except they're not. And I don't mean to disparage them, only to say that their interests are not equally represented in either the state legislature or on the BoT. UAB has tried to gain its independence in the past. Hell, a bill has recently been proposed to sever them apart. It's not going to happen because UAB has no leverage or power in the state, and the UA System BoT has no desire, much less a reason, to split the satellite schools off on their own. The Bot will never, ever let UAB go as long as UAB has the medical school.

That's interesting. It's crazy that they're outvoted on the BoT and could be forced to make decisions not in their own interest.

I'm glad Ohio's major public universities aren't all tied together at the hip they way they are in many states.

I mean, there's a unified state system with a board of regents, but each university has a distinct identity and internal structure, and their own board of trustees.

I'm totally, completely, redundantly OK with UAB taking donations from football boosters and applying them where needed, athletically or otherwise. Football isn't the core mission of the university, so build a new science building if it makes sense. Just be honest with the finances, that's all. Don't say the program isn't making money, when perhaps millions of dollars are coming in because of football but aren't direct football revenues (ie., tickets, concessions, TV money) and further aren't being used to maintain the program.

andycapps

I'm glad Ohio's major public universities aren't all tied together at the hip they way they are in many states.

I mean, there's a unified state system with a board of regents, but each university has a distinct identity and internal structure, and their own board of trustees.

Georgia is the same way. My grandfather was part of the state Board of Regents at one time.

I'm totally, completely, redundantly OK with UAB taking donations from football boosters and applying them where needed, athletically or otherwise. Football isn't the core mission of the university, so build a new science building if it makes sense. Just be honest with the finances, that's all. Don't say the program isn't making money, when perhaps millions of dollars are coming in because of football but aren't direct football revenues (ie., tickets, concessions, TV money) and further aren't being used to maintain the program.

If you were giving specifically to the football program, but the university took your money and applied it to education and told you that the football program was being cut because of lack of funding would you be okay with that?

mre

If you were giving specifically to the football program, but the university took your money and applied it to education and told you that the football program was being cut because of lack of funding would you be okay with that?
I don't think that's the issue. I think the issue is that boosters wanted to donate specifically to the football program, but were told that their donations would be used how the university best saw fit, irrespective of the booster's intent. Now, on the one hand, UAB was always (from what I've heard) upfront about this to the boosters, so those who did give really have no leg to stand on. On the other hand, this policy prevented millions of dollars from ever being donated at all, because some people just wanted to support the football program.

mre

Shits fucked up, for sure. From the UA system's website on the BoT:
Established in 1969, The University of Alabama System includes The University of Alabama (located in Tuscaloosa), The University of Alabama at Birmingham, and The University of Alabama in Huntsville. The System is governed by a self-nominating Board of fifteen elected and two ex-officio members.

The Constitution of the State of Alabama provides that the Board is composed of three members from the Congressional district in which the Tuscaloosa campus is located and two members from each of the other six Congressional districts. The Governor and the State Superintendent of Education are ex-officio members of the Board. Those members who are not ex-officio are elected by the Board, subject to confirmation by the State Senate and may serve up to three consecutive, full six-year terms.
"Self-nominating." :jnc

I believe I specifically stated otherwise -- I want the university to be honest about the finances. If the donations are football driven, then they should be treated on par with football-related revenue. I just don't care how it's spent.

To provide a clear example, if the football program took in $20 million in tickets, concessions, TV, etc., and cost $21 million in scholarships, coaches salaries, facilities, transportation and boarding, etc., then the program could show a loss. But if the program additionally generated $5 million in donations -- regardless of how the university chooses to spend it -- then the football program is clearly a net contributor to the university. Keep the program, build the science building.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Shits fucked up, for sure. From the UA system's website on the BoT:

"Self-nominating." :jnc

So Troy and South Alabama aren't also part of the U of A system? Here, every public university is tied to the UNC system whether they have UNC in their name or not...but you went to UNC Raleigh so you probably knew that already.

mre

So Troy and South Alabama aren't also part of the U of A system?
No, the lesser universities such as Troy, USA, Auburn, UNA, Alabama State, Alabama A&M, Auburn University (Montgomery) and the University of West Alabama (I'm sure I missed some) are not part of the UA system.
Here, every public university is tied to the UNC system whether they have UNC in their name or not...but you went to UNC Raleigh so you probably knew that already.
I just threw up in my mouth. Is this right?

Edit: http://www.northcarolina.edu/?q=content/our-17-campuses

God dammit. Where's the gif of the guy at a desk knocking shit over with the caption fuck this shit firing off around him?

mre

You could prefer to think of the other place as NC State-Chapel Hill.
The only saving grace is that it's actually listed on the website as "UNC-Chapel Hill." If it had just been "UNC" I would have totally flipped over this folder I have on my desk in anger.

andycapps

I believe I specifically stated otherwise -- I want the university to be honest about the finances. If the donations are football driven, then they should be treated on par with football-related revenue. I just don't care how it's spent.

To provide a clear example, if the football program took in $20 million in tickets, concessions, TV, etc., and cost $21 million in scholarships, coaches salaries, facilities, transportation and boarding, etc., then the program could show a loss. But if the program additionally generated $5 million in donations -- regardless of how the university chooses to spend it -- then the football program is clearly a net contributor to the university. Keep the program, build the science building.

Gotcha.

No, the lesser universities such as Troy, USA, Auburn, UNA, Alabama State, Alabama A&M, Auburn University (Montgomery) and the University of West Alabama (I'm sure I missed some) are not part of the UA system.
I just threw up in my mouth. Is this right?

Edit: http://www.northcarolina.edu/?q=content/our-17-campuses

God dammit. Where's the gif of the guy at a desk knocking shit over with the caption fuck this shit firing off around him?

Don't think it's the one you're looking for but this one is pretty good.

0O8TFdQ.gif

Yup this is basically how Florida is setup. Except USF.. They're special and have tried to create their own university system with mixed results.

And of course that doesn't stop UF and FSU using their weight in the legislature to get their way if the Board Of Governors doesn't play along.

AntoneM

Yup this is basically how Florida is setup. Except USF.. They're special and have tried to create their own university system with mixed results.

And of course that doesn't stop UF and FSU using their weight in the legislature to get their way if the Board Of Governors doesn't play along.

I'd like to see directional USF's that would be fun.

I'd like to see directional USF's that would be fun.

There is University of South Florida Sarasota-Manatee and University of South Florida St. Petersburg. There used to be a USF Lakeland (that became Polytechnic), but that campus and it's expansion was taken from them by the legislature to become the 12th public university.

I doubt either of the former two campuses would ever be allowed to start a sports program other than intramurals. From my understanding, those campuses are barely above community colleges anyway - regional focus and that's it.

Other state universities have multiple locations, but they are setup as regional campuses rather than completely different university entities.

andycapps

Joe Schad is reporting that Greyson Lambert is transferring from Virginia to Georgia. He graduated already and will have 2 years of eligibility remaining. So we now have 4 QB's, though I'm guessing that Richt was thinking one would transfer out after the summer when they don't get the job and wants to have depth. Or, he's not sure he has 1 good QB out of that lot, which I don't get. Really, we need someone to hand the ball to Nick Chubb and dump short passes. Anything else is gravy.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So out of the loop, was the holdover from the old academic shit that UNC pulled, or new, continuing academic shit?

mre

So out of the loop, was the holdover from the old academic shit that UNC pulled, or new, continuing academic shit?
Seems to be a holdover, with some new allegations tossed in from UNC's non-compliance from the previous round of investigations.

andycapps

"In a statement, Chancellor Carol L. Folt and Director of Athletics Bubba Cunningham said:

'We take the allegations the NCAA made about past conduct very seriously...'"

I'll never believe that someone who goes by Bubba is taking anything seriously.
I don't know, Bubba Watson has two Masters jackets.

woof woof

"In a statement, Chancellor Carol L. Folt and Director of Athletics Bubba Cunningham said:

'We take the allegations the NCAA made about past conduct very seriously...'"

I'll never believe that someone who goes by Bubba is taking anything* seriously.

*With the possibly exception of shrimp.

I don't know, Bubba Watson has two Masters jackets.

woof woof

There you go, once again obsessed with the jackets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom