• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

I really doubt that UGA getting to go to a state that's directly to the south and Bama going to two states that it borders is going to get either school the chance to meet many recruits that it wouldn't have otherwise been able to get on campus. It'll certainly be interesting to see some SEC schools go into Texas though.
Kids only have so much money and if they're not taking an official somewhere that can be an issue. I wish they'd do away with the camps anyway, but like I said, it'll be interesting. Plus, being able to get some more Texas QB's could be good.

Draxal

I heard the same. Does a decision such as foundation money get made at the administrative level or Board of Trustee level?

Edit: And my god wat are you doing, UCONN.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/6/1/8701123/ucf-uconn-rivalry-trophy

http://espn.go.com/college-football...skies-do-not-need-ucf-knights-consent-rivalry

... I didn't realize that UCF didn't okay this rivalry game, this is insanely weird.

"I didn't know anything about that," O'Leary said last week, according to UCFSports.com. "I was asked about it [by our staff]. I didn't know anything about a trophy, a time thing or anything else. My experience is you're more likely to have a rivalry against a team closer to where you live. When I was at [Georgia] Tech it was Georgia. I think it's UCF-USF here. When you go 10 states away, I think it's hard. North and South thing or whatever, I don't know."

Jhriad

Official visits are still a tool and allow the student to actually see the realities of middle America and the campuses.

You realize that these kids can only take five official visits with a limit of one per school, right? This is the next four years of their lives and you expect them to use one of those valuable paid visits on a school they probably haven't seen much of, is considerably farther away, and might not even be a good fit for them? Oh, those visit also have to come after the start of their senior year. Sorry, but that's just flat out ridiculous. Official visits need to be reworked.

They also have big expensive TV contracts and productions to get the word out. Not sure how a mini camp at Daytona Beach shows off the campus experience.

First, those big TV contracts are in large part the conference specific networks which may or may not be available outside the footprint of the conference. Secondly, it would help if you're one of the big schools that get the majority of the TV exposure. It certainly helps that your conference is on television but if you're Indiana you're not exactly seeing the full benefit of that exposure. Third, with the multitude of basic sports channels available and practically all the major conferences being well represented across that channel spectrum (lol ACC) the benefit is pretty diffuse unless you're arguing that it's a benefit that the P5 have over the other conferences which is without doubt.

Can't help if the south is the popular place to be right now!

It's not really a "right now" thing and doesn't have anything to do with sports. The South & West Coast have seen the lion's share of the population growth over the past couple decades. They also happen to be the best places for year round talent development because of favorable weather year round. Those two combined mean that you see a larger pool of talent available and a number of kids are farther along in their development prior to college.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...skies-do-not-need-ucf-knights-consent-rivalry

... I didn't realize that UCF didn't okay this rivalry game, this is insanely weird.
Yeah really bizarre.

And here is an article where Diaco is doubling down. http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-football-0609-20150608-story.html

"Why do I have to call their athletic department to say we've got them targeted as our rival, period," Diaco said on a Monday morning conference call introducing new media policies for the team going forward. "What control over that would they have and what do I care what they think?... If they don't want to honor our rivalry, we're not their rival, that's on them. I don't control what they want. If they don't want to be a part of the trophy, I don't care about that, either. They don't like the logo ... the logo is a university logo. And I took the logo off our marketing."

It's just funny that they "forgot" to put the 2013 blowout on there and they're not using our stacked UCF logo.

Trying to belittle a competitor's experience when he has much more success than you is a poor idea.

But he hasn't?

That's the whole point of the recruiting infographic.

I think Harbaugh is off to a great start because we've already started stealing recruits and bringing in more visitors and potential gets than we ever did under Hoke. Hell we just got crystal balled the best player out of Wisconsin this year after we stole him right out from under Chryst's nose.

3 months until the Ohio State legion of extremely talented quarterbacks realizes there's only one ball.

Miller staying just strikes me as stupid. Either he's given up on being a QB entirely or he believes he'll get reps this year. Plus if I'm Barrett I'm pretty damn angry that I scored over 40 TD's last year and will lose my job.

You realize that these kids can only take five official visits with a limit of one per school, right? This is the next four years of their lives and you expect them to use one of those valuable paid visits on a school they probably haven't seen much of, is considerably farther away, and might not even be a good fit for them? Oh, those visit also have to come after the start of their senior year. Sorry, but that's just flat out ridiculous. Official visits need to be reworked.
Sure, increase the visits to 10 or something and allow a few to begin in the junior year. That's about the time most college-bound students start taking campus visits anyway.

First, those big TV contracts are in large part the conference specific networks which may or may not be available outside the footprint of the conference. Secondly, it would help if you're one of the big schools that get the majority of the TV exposure. It certainly helps that your conference is on television but if you're Indiana you're not exactly seeing the full benefit of that exposure. Third, with the multitude of basic sports channels available and practically all the major conferences being well represented across that channel spectrum (lol ACC) the benefit is pretty diffuse unless you're arguing that it's a benefit that the P5 have over the other conferences which is without doubt.
Yeah even the P5 have their pecking order, but exposure even on standard channels is pretty good. And blows out what G5 teams, even ones better than P5 teams, are stuck with. So not a lot of sympathy there from me. At least there is a chance of mindshare there or just straight exposure when Indiana is playing Ohio St and Michigan regularly or a Bug 10 extended discussion is going on. Those contracts also allow much more revenue and the ability to spend doing standard visits nationally.

It's not really a "right now" thing and doesn't have anything to do with sports. The South & West Coast have seen the lion's share of the population growth over the past couple decades. They also happen to be the best places for year round talent development because of favorable weather year round. Those two combined mean that you see a larger pool of talent available and a number of kids are farther along in their development prior to college.
This is where I'm not sure Indiana hosting a camp in Daytona for example shows any of the campus qualities. If the idea is to attract students to the Midwest, I think reforms should be aimed at increasing visits to campuses students may not be familiar with. This would be supported by the standard recruiting visits that many schools conduct nationally to generate the initial interest.

Draxal

But he hasn't?

That's the whole point of the recruiting infographic.

Man I don't feel comfortable being a UM fan here.

Errrr, it really looked like he was to me and I have no horse in this race.

And, the only fanbases that get much shit here now are Yellow Jacket or Tig ... War ... Eagle fans.

edit. Oh I forgot about Aggie fans.

If it weren't for camping we'd see a huge drop in walk-on and greyshirt offers.

And, the only fanbases that get much shit here now are Yellow Jacket or Tig ... War ... Eagle fans.

Well I guess if you hate on aggies you're all okay in my book.

Creepy fuckers.

How quickly you forget what it was like when Notre Dame was good that one year.

Miller staying just strikes me as stupid. Either he's given up on being a QB entirely or he believes he'll get reps this year. Plus if I'm Barrett I'm pretty damn angry that I scored over 40 TD's last year and will lose my job.

Barrett has nothing to be angry about. He has THREE YEARS of eligibility left.

In other news, the Whataburger thread is transforming into an Aggy hate thread.

ag-my001

Barrett has nothing to be angry about. He has THREE YEARS of eligibility left.

In other news, the Whataburger thread is transforming into an Aggy hate thread.

*checks thread*

*realizes closest What a burger is 12+hours away*

*considers driving for Honey BBQ Chicken Strip Sandwich anyway*

Jhriad

I think reforms should be aimed at increasing visits to campuses students may not be familiar with.

This is pretty much all that would be required. Allow official visits starting with their junior year and give them an allotment of visits per year. It would solve a lot of problems but unfortunately it doesn't jibe with the early signing period that the big boys are pushing so it's unlikely to be pushed through anytime soon. As it stands the camps are a band aid for the existing problem not a real solution. They're what we have to work with though so we have to make do until we see some progress on earlier/more official visits.

Enron

Banned
Picked these up at the neighborhood art festival this weekend. These are great! Guy also does southeast landmarks in much the same style. The UGA v GT one was sold out, ill have to order that one from his website.

18624529235_162212588d_b.jpg

Before anyone asks about the A&M one - before I moved to Georgia, I was an Aggie fan when I was a kid. Don't judge me.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Picked these up at the neighborhood art festival this weekend. These are great! Guy also does southeast landmarks in much the same style. The UGA v GT one was sold out, ill have to order that one from his website.

Before anyone asks about the A&M one - before I moved to Georgia, I was an Aggie fan when I was a kid. Don't judge me.

Link?

andycapps

Those are really cool. Who's the artist?

Today's the Day!!!!

unnamed.0.0.jpg

*crickets*

Doesn't seem like the GT SBNation site cares too much about the concert. I'm curious to see how many people show up, though I guess Atlanta is big enough that people will come that aren't GT fans and we may actually see a full Bobby-Dodd Stadium for once. I kid, I kid.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

Too late.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It's supposedly sold out whatever that means in this day and age with so many ticket sites and the like. Whether people show up is another matter.

andycapps

I actually kind of wonder if college students these days would even care about the Stones. I work close to the stadium and was offered free tickets and im not even bothering with it.

Who offered you free tickets? Heck, I'd have probably gone when they were here if they were free, but I'm pretty sure they were really steep in Columbus.

Who offered you free tickets? Heck, I'd have probably gone when they were here if they were free, but I'm pretty sure they were really steep in Columbus.
A buddy of mine's company gets tickets for things like these and for sporting events pretty often. He offered me a pair if I wanted them. I think it's a pretty cool event, just not my thing. I've never been all that big of a Stones fan.

I'm looking as closely as I can, but I don't see anything on here about a 2013 game. Are you thinking of a different rivalry, perhaps?
No, he said he didn't put the 2013 game on there because he wasn't the coach at the time. He also used the wrong logo and was like "well that's the one we had in our marketing department!" This from the same school who forgot to put us on their website when we were announced as a new Big East member.

The 2013 game was 62-17 down in Orlando. And yeah if we lose again to them, shut the program down. If we win, burn the trophy.

Genius move by UCONN.

Invent a rivalry and then weird out/annoy the other team until it becomes an actual rivalry.
Apparently this is how Colorado started things with Nebraska? I've heard parallels there. Colorado basically just circled them and made them a rival. Then of course beat them.

But Connecticut is so far away.... Maybe like the I-4 Corridor Clash for USF, something incorporating I-95 can be made. That's about the only link between us. And I guess screw USF. They've actually been in the same conference playing each other for at least 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom