• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2015/06/09/belated-parting-thoughts-from-associate-ad/

“Near miss? I think one of the things that I would have loved to have done, and I still think there’s an opportunity to, I really, really would have loved to have scheduled a football game or a series with Auburn. Not that that won’t happen, it just hasn’t happened in my four years. We haven’t been able to find a time to do it. I think Auburn wants to do it, I think we do, too, and I think our fans are pretty excited about that matchup. So to do a home-and-home with them would be something that I think would be kind of neat, just from a geographical standpoint.”

(Bamford had noted previously that there is a logistical challenge on both sides, in that Auburn wouldn’t want to play at Georgia and Tech in the same year, and Tech wouldn’t want to play at Georgia and at Auburn in the same year. But given that both Tech and Auburn play in Athens in even years – and host the Bulldogs in odd years – a home-and-home may be untenable. A neutral-site game, like the Chick-fil-A Kickoff game, might be the solution.)

In reality I've heard it's because the last two games Burn lost, and the fans were especially pissed that they had even scheduled GT for their home opener after the year they went undefeated and missed the championship. Fans wondered why they didn't schedule a cupcake warm up team to keep the win streak and good vibes going.

It's not surprising though. To many teams think "why should we schedule a tough OOC opponent when other schools are scheduling automatic wins?!"

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2015/06/09/belated-parting-thoughts-from-associate-ad/

In reality I've heard it's because the last two games Burn lost, and the fans were especially pissed that they had even scheduled GT for their home opener after the year they went undefeated and missed the championship. Fans wondered why they didn't schedule a cupcake warm up team to keep the win streak and good vibes going.

It's not surprising though. To many teams think "why should we schedule a tough OOC opponent when other schools are scheduling automatic wins?!"

If they both play in Athens in even years, if they really wanted to get a series done they could probably just schedule the home-and-home series in two odd years with a break between.

andycapps

I don't mean any offense by this, but there's a lot of teams out there that just wouldn't want to play a triple-option team because they don't want to practice all week for cut blocks and then face it in a game and risk a bunch of injuries.

But, I could see it being a kickoff game at a neutral site and maybe Auburn would agree since they could practice a couple weeks specifically for the style they'll be seeing from GT.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I don't mean any offense by this, but there's a lot of teams out there that just wouldn't want to play a triple-option team because they don't want to practice all week for cut blocks and then face it in a game and risk a bunch of injuries.

But, I could see it being a kickoff game at a neutral site and maybe Auburn would agree since they could practice a couple weeks specifically for the style they'll be seeing from GT.
"What is the phrase spoken by anyone who is about to say something they know will be offensive?"

Draxal

For reference, Rutgers actually plays the triple option well as Navy is a tradiitional OOC for us, but most teams don't want to schedule a team like Tech because it takes multiple games to get used to that offense.

And we average 2 hurts players per game against Navy.

There's your Rutgers reference for the offseason Randolph Freelander, ARE YOU HAPPY NOW!

andycapps

For reference, Rutgers actually plays the triple option well as Navy is a tradiitional OOC for us, but most teams don't want to schedule a team like Tech because it takes multiple games to get used to that offense.

There's your Rutgers reference for the offseason Randolph Freelander, ARE YOU HAPPY NOW!

Exactly, when you face it once a year you know what you're getting into, and you still have some walking wounded the next week or have some players actually out for a period of time. No reason to play that if you don't have to.

There is more to this than that. We almost scheduled Auburn when Gene Chizik was head coach and he vetoed the series because he didn't want to prepare for our offense.

Can you name all of the UGA players who were injured last year during our game? All I can remember injury wise is the cheap shot that your guys took on Deandre Smelter ending his college career.

Yes.

UCF
Rutgers
Duke

I'll handle this one. Wallace Wade renovations are still ongoing. This photo is from April.

tVmvES5

The project will not be complete for another year, but it will be ready enough to host games this season. The home opener is September 12 against NC Central, which (as mre will attest to) is another member of the UNC system and will probably be banned from football once the NCAA wraps up this UNC academic scandal inquiry.

Limedust

So if internet rumors are correct, then Jimbo's wife wasn't very good at the whole "being married" thing. Kind of a shitty way to end it all.

I ought to introduce him to my friend Kiki. They would totally hit it off.

My rival in highschool tennis was named Kiki. He was some boy who grew up in Hawaii. One of his teammates was named Sylvester. They all had unique names at that school I guess.

And is "Jimbo" the real name of Mr. Fisher? I thought that might be his nickname.

andycapps

Can you name all of the UGA players who were injured last year during our game? All I can remember injury wise is the cheap shot that your guys took on Deandre Smelter ending his college career.
Don't remember any injuries this last year or any cheap shot on Smelter. He was a good receiver.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Apprently Bama is ready for the UGA game. Why they have a picture of JJ Green, who transferred to Ga Tech, I have no idea. Maybe they forgot which RB Nick Chubb was.
What you can't see here are the "Power T"s on the urinal cakes.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Nothing like spending $400 on PC upgrade parts to make yourself feel better about the impending doom of your job :lol

andycapps

ESPN OTL article points out that Florida and FSU athletes that are named as suspects avoid prosecution or criminal charges about 2/3 of the time.

Rainey's experience as a star athlete accused of criminal activity -- stalking, fighting, injuring someone with fireworks -- but ending up with a mostly clean record is not uncommon: From 2009 to 2014, male basketball and football players at the University of Florida and Florida State University avoided criminal charges or prosecution on average two-thirds of the time when named as suspects in police documents, a result far exceeding that of non-athlete males in the same age range, an Outside the Lines investigation has found.

But available reports showed that Rainey's alma mater, Florida, had the most athletes -- 80 -- named as suspects in more than 100 crimes at Florida. Yet the athletes either never faced charges, had charges against them dropped or were not prosecuted 56 percent of the time. When Outside the Lines examined a comparison set of cases involving college-age males in Gainesville, 28 percent of the crimes ended either without a record of charges being filed or by charges eventually being dropped.

dpMjrsJh.jpg

Was looking over schedules today, and we can go ahead and use a permanent marker to put Wisconsin in the B1G title game, they somehow avoid MSU,UM,OSU, and PSU in the regular season.

ESPN OTL article points out that Florida and FSU athletes that are named as suspects avoid prosecution or criminal charges about 2/3 of the time.

I'll preface by saying that the Florida and FSU players are most likely dirtbags as much as the report shows. However, talk to any UF student and you'll know that the police are overly aggressive when arresting anyone for anything (e.g. speeding tickets on bicycles at 9am, barking at police dogs). Not sure about FSU police, but I've heard roughly the same.

I would bet that in Columbus, Lincoln, Norman, etc, that the players just aren't being picked up after it's realized who they are for the most part.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I'll preface by saying that the Florida and FSU players are most likely dirtbags as much as the report shows. However, talk to any UF student and you'll know that the police are overly aggressive when arresting anyone for anything (e.g. speeding tickets on bicycles at 9am, barking at police dogs). Not sure about FSU police, but I've heard roughly the same.

I would bet that in Columbus, Lincoln, Norman, etc, that the players just aren't being picked up after it's realized who they are for the most part.

That doesn't explain the gulf between player prosecution rates and general student prosecution rates.

OTE's Iowa writer took a look at season ticket prices around the Big Ten. I now understand why Ohio State fans consistently go to all these road games, holy shit @ those prices...

Also good luck getting just single ticket gen pop release for tickets. Theyll have some for the little schools but theyll be the tickets up against the boxes meaning you maybe see 60-20 yards of the field. Oh, and you still have to pay the full price of $85 face value for those.
Im so glad I have connections that are able to get me really good seats every game. #humblebrag

That doesn't explain the gulf between player prosecution rates and general student prosecution rates.

Oh that's total good ol' boy stuff. Huntley Johnson and his counterparts in other cities. Access to well connected, top flight counsel.

I was just responding to the fact that UF and FSU get hammered the worst when offending athletes at other schools probably don't even get picked up by police.

andycapps

I'm going to guess the large difference between player prosecution rates and general student prosecution rates is because the general students aren't able to afford an attorney like Huntley Johnson

We beat writers used to joke that if Johnson didn’t represent a player who got arrested, it meant that player was probably already kicked off the team. That wasn’t true all the time, but Johnson almost always seemed to get retained when a player got sideways with the law. Johnson rarely talks to the press about cases, typically letting the plea deals he negotiates do the talking for him. I tried to interview him in 2007 after former (and future) Florida lineman Ronnie Wilson pleaded no contest to battery and discharging a firearm in public. Wilson had hit a man and spit on him, and after realizing the man was following him to give Wilson’s information to a 911 dispatcher, Wilson switched to a vehicle that had an AK-47 in the trunk. Later, he would pull that AK-47 and fire it in the air to scare the man he had hit and spit on. The man said in court that Wilson pointed the gun at him before firing into the air. Thanks to Johnson, Wilson served no jail time beyond the brief period between his arrest and his posting bail. He got two years of probation. I asked Johnson after the change of plea hearing if he’d talk about the case. “What do you think I’m going to say?” Johnson asked. My reply was something to the effect of, “Your client pulled an AK-47 on a guy and won’t spend a day in jail, so I’m guessing not much, but I’m going to ask anyway.” Johnson smiled. “You’re pretty smart,” he said. End of interview.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
OSUw Grad transfer WR Richard Mullaney commits to Alabama

1st thoughts: We still had scholarship room? Guess maybe he's the Jonathon Taylor roster spot.

6'3" 209 lbs

After redshirting his first season at Oregon State, Mullaney combined for 83 catches for 1,160 yards and five scores for the Beavers over the past three seasons. His best season came in 2013 when he caught 52 balls for 788 yards and three touchdowns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom