• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alabama DC Kirby Smart Calls OSU Offense a 'Buzz Saw', Says Defense Didn't Respect Cardale Jones

COLUMBUS — Not that you couldn't have figured all of this out by watching the Sugar Bowl at the time, but Alabama's defense was not prepared to play the Ohio State Buckeyes back in January, despite having weeks to get ready.

Speaking with 680 the Fan in Atlanta this week, Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart talked about just how ill-prepared his Crimson Tide defense was for the Ohio State offense, which he called a 'buzz saw', and why he thought his defense ended up on the wrong end of a 42-35 defeat in the College Football Playoff semifinal game.

" And looking back, we have exit interviews with our players, and when you look in hindsight, I asked every kid, Landon Collins, Nick Perry, Jarrick Williams, the really smart seniors on our team, I said 'Where did we go wrong? What did we do wrong?'

"All three of them said they did not respect the quarterback, and our job as the coaches was to make them respect the quarterback. Well they heard from the media, they heard from ESPN, they heard from everybody that he was a third-string quarterback. How can a third-string quarterback beat Alabama? We didn’t promote him enough and they didn’t value his talents enough, and he came in — we thought he was a really good passer, well he ran the ball well, too. We had not seen him run the ball — and not a runner like Blake (Sims) and not a runner like their other guy, just big.

http://theozone.net/Ohio-State/All-...-Saw-Says-Defense-Didnt-Respect-Cardale-Jones

Draxal

COLUMBUS — Not that you couldn't have figured all of this out by watching the Sugar Bowl at the time, but Alabama's defense was not prepared to play the Ohio State Buckeyes back in January, despite having weeks to get ready.

Speaking with 680 the Fan in Atlanta this week, Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart talked about just how ill-prepared his Crimson Tide defense was for the Ohio State offense, which he called a 'buzz saw', and why he thought his defense ended up on the wrong end of a 42-35 defeat in the College Football Playoff semifinal game.

" And looking back, we have exit interviews with our players, and when you look in hindsight, I asked every kid, Landon Collins, Nick Perry, Jarrick Williams, the really smart seniors on our team, I said 'Where did we go wrong? What did we do wrong?'

"All three of them said they did not respect the quarterback, and our job as the coaches was to make them respect the quarterback. Well they heard from the media, they heard from ESPN, they heard from everybody that he was a third-string quarterback. How can a third-string quarterback beat Alabama? We didn’t promote him enough and they didn’t value his talents enough, and he came in — we thought he was a really good passer, well he ran the ball well, too. We had not seen him run the ball — and not a runner like Blake (Sims) and not a runner like their other guy, just big.

http://theozone.net/Ohio-State/All-...-Saw-Says-Defense-Didnt-Respect-Cardale-Jones

Errr, Barrett can ball, he's a good passing qb (it wasn't in the quoted part).

Brian Brohm and Zach Collaros are duking it out in the CFL right now. I wonder if most of the American QBs who end up in the CFL are guys who played in some form of the Air Raid.

cashman

Banned
Recruiting will never not be awful

3694498.jpg

ag-my001

Did they just shop his face onto a character that gets killed?

On a football tangent, but one that will ensure my happiness for many Saturdays to come, what the heck should I but my fiancee for our wedding next Sunday? She doesn't wear much jewelry, so that's out. Thoughts from married CFB-GAF?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Did they just shop his face onto a character that gets killed?

On a football tangent, but one that will ensure my happiness for many Saturdays to come, what the heck should I but my fiancee for our wedding next Sunday? She doesn't wear much jewelry, so that's out. Thoughts from married CFB-GAF?

What do you mean? You're supposed to give a present on your wedding day? We didn't do that.

She is getting a ring. And a wedding. And some loving.

ag-my001

It's traditional (in some circles) for the bride and groom to exchange a small gift before the ceremony via the maid of honor and best man. I have strong reason to believe she has something for me, and I would like to not repeat my best friend's wedding, where she got him a pocket watch, and all he had was a "dammit I forgot!"

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It's traditional (in some circles) for the bride and groom to exchange a small gift before the ceremony via the maid of honor and best man. I have strong reason to believe she has something for me, and I would like to not repeat my best friend's wedding, where she got him a pocket watch, and all he had was a "dammit I forgot!"

I asked my wife if we gave each other gifts and she said no because she knew I wasn't going to do it so she didn't do it either. Low expectations are they key to a happy marriage.

Maybe I'm missing some sarcasm or something but Brandon Jones is rated higher on Rivals than any of Houston's current commits.

It wasn't total sarcasm but I'm only looking at the ever so credible ESPN. According to them, UH has the #5 overall player in the country committed, and Brandon Jones is #27.

andycapps

NCAA is investigating Tunsil now. Meeting with his stepfather and such. Stepfather is claiming Ole Miss falsified transcripts and gave him gifts. Claiming agents gave him all kinds of things.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Well, we always knew something was odd that year in Ole Miss. Too many 5 star recruits. Done in by a deadbeat dad :lol

andycapps

Well, we always knew something was odd that year in Ole Miss. Too many 5 star recruits. Done in by a deadbeat dad :lol
It did seem really weird that UGA led for him for about 2 years and then in one weekend he decides to flip to Ole Miss of all places. I know there were rumors at the time so this isn't surprising, but it is ironic. Wonder if Nkemdiche got anything.

It did seem really weird that UGA led for him for about 2 years and then in one weekend he decides to flip to Ole Miss of all places. I know there were rumors at the time so this isn't surprising, but it is ironic. Wonder if Nkemdiche got anything.

Nkemdiche was committed to us for a while and then his mom flew in from Africa to tell him he's going to Ole miss. Since that was like the first time she flew to the states in like two years, I'm pretty sure she got some pretty hefty campaign contributions from them.

andycapps

Nkemdiche was committed to us for a while and then his mom flew in from Africa to tell him he's going to Ole miss. Since that was like the first time she flew to the states in like two years, I'm pretty sure she got some pretty hefty campaign contributions from them.
Yeah, I mean, I know Hugh Freeze is a better coach than they've had there for a while but to go from awful recruits to beating out Bama, UGA, and Clemson in one offseason was odd in my opinion.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
It wasn't total sarcasm but I'm only looking at the ever so credible ESPN. According to them, UH has the #5 overall player in the country committed, and Brandon Jones is #27.

Houston definitely caught lightning in a bottle with their two DT commits (one being the guy you're talking about, the other being technically lower rated but whose offer list looks the same). Apparently they're trying to sell the local recruits on a strategy to lock down Houston recruits like Miami did back in the 80s/90s with their own city when they started winning championships.

Looks like the strategy caught fire with a few big fish but outside of 2 or 3 guys the class isn't too far out of their normal wheelhouse IMO (though still a bit better than average for them, don't get me wrong). Heck, their second highest rated commit on Rivals is a guy that was committed to Tech but was told to look around by our new DC, and we're normally not exactly in the business of turning down 4-stars on defense.

Let's wait and see what happens with them as the season moves along, as they'll be fighting practically every school in the country all season long to keep the two DTs and I think there are some other commits that may look around now that the initial excitement wave from the big guys committing is wearing off.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Nike Owns the trademark to the color "Maize"
o_O When did Michigan first start using the colors Maize and Blue and refer to them as "Maize and Blue"?
How do you trademark a natural color and a common name?

mre, please advise.
From my one trademarks class, I would have told you, "no." But Michigan switched colors, so....
To clarify, colors have been trademarked, but only for use with respect to specific industries or specific products. My confusion isn't so much that Maize was trademarked, but that it was Nike not Michigan who trademarked it.

o_O When did Michigan first start using the colors Maize and Blue and refer to them as "Maize and Blue"?

From my one trademarks class, I would have told you, "no." But Michigan switched colors, so....
To clarify, colors have been trademarked, but only for use with respect to specific industries or specific products. My confusion isn't so much that Maize was trademarked, but that it was Nike not Michigan who trademarked it.

according to UM Blog:

The selection of school colors for Michigan has an interesting background. The first recorded association of any color with the University appears in 1859, when a ribbon of deep blue was attached to the diploma of an Elisha Jones. It was not until 1867 that a group of students formally met and adopted azure blue and maize as its official school colors. However, no one actually specified the exact colors until 1912, when school officials chose fabric ribbons depicting the actual shades.

The athletic department adopted its own shades of deep blue and bright yellow (gold) and Michigan athletic teams have been wearing the Maize and Blue for more than 100 years.

Michigan left nike in I want to say 2007, because I believe they still had on Nike gear during the 1 vs 2 game

You can trademark a color?

We've gone too far.

Owning rights to an RGB/pantone isn't new. I'm pretty sure "Carolina Blue" is a trademarked by UNC. It's apparently RGB (#56A0D3). Bottom line is the school needs to own it, not their current athletic sponsor. The school should realize that athletic deals don't last forever.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
according to UM Blog:

The selection of school colors for Michigan has an interesting background. The first recorded association of any color with the University appears in 1859, when a ribbon of deep blue was attached to the diploma of an Elisha Jones. It was not until 1867 that a group of students formally met and adopted azure blue and maize as its official school colors. However, no one actually specified the exact colors until 1912, when school officials chose fabric ribbons depicting the actual shades.

The athletic department adopted its own shades of deep blue and bright yellow (gold) and Michigan athletic teams have been wearing the Maize and Blue for more than 100 years.

Michigan left nike in I want to say 2007, because I believe they still had on Nike gear during the 1 vs 2 game
But how did Nike end up trademarking it? What in the...

Draxal

Looks like Rutgers will honor Carli Lloyd at one of the games this year. I'm hoping it's Kansas and not Sparty or OSU.

1329022235493760290.gif

I've been reading people trying to defend this guy saying she punched him first but you can clearly see him grasping her arm before the punch was thrown.

1329022235493760290.gif

I've been reading people trying to defend this guy saying she punched him first but you can clearly see him grasping her arm before the punch was thrown.

Also wtf at the bartenders. Yeah well ignore this girl and all the blood all over the counter, now who wants a zima !!

Normally this stuff gets swept under the rug when there's no video and you can "downplay" the severity of it.

There's clear fucking video of this. Even Urban couldn't get him out of it.

andycapps

I think pretty much everyone is going to be with Nike eventually.

Probably everyone except for Maryland.
Tennessee moved to them this season as well. And apparently the money they're getting from Nike is actually less than with Adidas.

And the last time a player on the team hit a woman he suspended them indefinitely the day the information came out.

When do we talk about Rainey's 20 failed drug tests?

That's an aside really, but Urban isn't without lots of blame for how he's handled player discipline the past. Much of it came to light years later. We'll see what his discipline at tOSU is like in a few years or more and see if he covered things up like at Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom