• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tennessee moved to them this season as well. And apparently the money they're getting from Nike is actually less than with Adidas.

When do we talk about Rainey's 20 failed drug tests?

That's an aside really, but Urban isn't without lots of blame for how he's handled player discipline the past. Much of it came to light years later. We'll see what his discipline at tOSU is like in a few years or more and see if he covered things up like at Florida.

I think everyone team will move to Nike and take less money than with Adidas. Kids in the United States are all about Nike, it's The brand in the states unlike in europe

1329022235493760290.gif

I've been reading people trying to defend this guy saying she punched him first but you can clearly see him grasping her arm before the punch was thrown.

About as clear cut as it can get.

I think everyone team will move to Nike and take less money than with Adidas. Kids in the United States are all about Nike, it's The brand in the states unlike in europe

Even if Nike charges more it seems clear that Nike offers the schools more robust graphic design services than the other players in the field. Whenever a school switches to them they almost always get a new graphic identity package with a cleaned-up logo and a (usually) sharp new wordmark, like what Tennessee got this week.

1329022235493760290.gif

I've been reading people trying to defend this guy saying she punched him first but you can clearly see him grasping her arm before the punch was thrown.
He is grasping her arm because she was holding a closed fist and threatening to punch him. Then she punches him with the other arm. He obviously shouldn't have reacted the way he did but the girl should be arrested as well. Pretty ugly incident all around.

andycapps

He is grasping her arm because she was holding a closed fist and threatening to punch him. Then she punches him with the other arm. He obviously shouldn't have reacted the way he did but the girl should be arrested as well. Pretty ugly incident all around.
I see what you're saying but due to him being an athlete and a male, he is going to be much stronger than her. He could have easily just held her back while the bouncers kicked her out. I don't think his response was appropriate even if provoked, and I'm not sure that's what happened here anyway.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Whereas I see her pointing back to the guy behind her, saying she has no more room to go, there's a guy right there, and wondering how you can confuse that as a balled fist, prepared to strike with furious anger.

Whereas I see her pointing back to the guy behind her, saying she has no more room to go, there's a guy right there, and wondering how you can confuse that as a balled fist, prepared to strike with furious anger.
She pretty clearly had a balled fist and was pretty angry with the guy causing him to grab her wrist to stop her from punching him.

I see what you're saying but due to him being an athlete and a male, he is going to be much stronger than her. He could have easily just held her back while the bouncers kicked her out. I don't think his response was appropriate even if provoked, and I'm not sure that's what happened here anyway.
I agree. Im not really defending his reaction. He should have more self control. He deserves to be arrested and he deserves a pretty harsh punishment if not dismissal from the football team.

And he's been dismissed, I honestly think if that video didn't drop he'd still be there.

Video does tend to make it rather easy.

http://floridastate.247sports.com/Bolt/5-star-Jonathan-Isaac-discusses-FSU-pledge-38083922

On the same day video of an altercation with a female was released, Florida State freshman quarterback De'Andre Johnson was released from the football team, per a school release.

"Florida State head football coach Jimbo Fisher announced Monday evening that freshman De’Andre Johnson has been dismissed from the football team effective immediately. Johnson was indefinitely suspended on June 25 following initial reports of an incident that occurred off campus and resulted in a criminal charge."

The guy that punched the girl apparently has retained Jose Baez. The lawyer that was able to get Casey Anthony acquitted.

And in non-CFB news, I was out for a final interview last week. They flew me across the country for it. So hopefully it went well! I should know if I got the job in about two weeks.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
And the last time a player on the team hit a woman he suspended them indefinitely the day the information came out.
The day he knew or the day the information became public?
Also wtf at the bartenders. Yeah well ignore this girl and all the blood all over the counter, now who wants a zima !!
It's Tallahassee, man...
That's almost worse.

As an aside, a trademark search for the terms "maize and blue" returns hits on everybody's favorite The Wiggles IPs, including Henry the Octopus, Captain Feathersword, and Wags the Dog. Oh, and Sportacus also pops up.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
::edit::

Meh, re-thinking my previous Pristine-level post. I'll just leave it at saying that no matter what you think of what he did morally or ethically, IANAL but legally I think there may be enough in the video to call his punch retaliatory and get the charges dropped.

andycapps

What the hell is Chip Brown smoking?

Unless Oklahoma president David Boren was giving us some kind of warning – saying the Big 12 needs to be 12 – before grabbing Oklahoma State and making a mad dash to the SEC, let’s talk about what is likely to be the next big move in realignment:

The Power Five conferences – all 65 teams (if you include Notre Dame) - collectively bargaining one TV contract, instead of each negotiating a TV deal, sometime in the next 10 years.

After discussions with several people connected to P5 schools, this scenario could become more plausible as we get closer to 2024.

andycapps

Well, conference realignment is all a result of TV money, which is all a result of Oklahoma.

Right, but he thinks that the leagues are basically going to be abolished in favor of divisions, collective TV deal like professional leagues get, regular season reduced to 11, and playoff increased to 16 teams. He is nuts. Why does he think that conference commissioners would go along with giving up all of their power or their exclusive TV deals that they've worked so hard for?

I do agree that the NCAA will be going away for the P5 who will likely be negotiating their own rules and other things within the next 10 years, probably much sooner. And the playoff will likely be increased, but I don't know about 16 teams. Maybe eventually, but I hope not.

That FSU QB thread has become a shitshow. It's basically turned into another GAF race thread and a debate over whether a man should be allowed to punch a woman if she punches him, despite the difference in strength and capacity for physical damage.

mre: is there some kind of legal case for the capacity for physical damage?

It might be the relative slowness of the sports calendar, but discussion about realignment has certainly started again, and I'm highly annoyed. So far, the talk has been about gobbling up the Big 12 and getting to 4 power conferences, but I just don't like any of it. In fact, I had entertained the thought of the existing power conferences just coming together as a collective and negotiating a single deal. It would be no different from the NFL in that regard and it would end the musical chairs. It might even help create more cohesion in conferences, as they would no longer need to be these 14 team monstrosities.

Draxal

Right, but he thinks that the leagues are basically going to be abolished in favor of divisions, collective TV deal like professional leagues get, regular season reduced to 11, and playoff increased to 16 teams. He is nuts. Why does he think that conference commissioners would go along with giving up all of their power or their exclusive TV deals that they've worked so hard for?

I do agree that the NCAA will be going away for the P5 who will likely be negotiating their own rules and other things within the next 10 years, probably much sooner. And the playoff will likely be increased, but I don't know about 16 teams. Maybe eventually, but I hope not.

That FSU QB thread has become a shitshow. It's basically turned into another GAF race thread and a debate over whether a man should be allowed to punch a woman if she punches him, despite the difference in strength and capacity for physical damage.

I was joking on the Oklahoma thing.

As for the FSU QB thread, race does have a part of it, not the majority of it, but there's definitely racial elements to it. There's been a narrative of young african male being victims of violence (police or non police), and I can understand why young black men feel like they can't protect themselves. Please note since I'm Sirpopopopopop's ... alt .... A rutgers fan, he was 100% in the wrong in that altercation, Ray 100% escalated that one.

De'Andre overreacted and is paying the price for it, but I cannot see how the woman isn't charged as well.

It might be the relative slowness of the sports calendar, but discussion about realignment has certainly started again, and I'm highly annoyed. So far, the talk has been about gobbling up the Big 12 and getting to 4 power conferences, but I just don't like any of it. In fact, I had entertained the thought of the existing power conferences just coming together as a collective and negotiating a single deal. It would be no different from the NFL in that regard and it would end the musical chairs. It might even help create more cohesion in conferences, as they would no longer need to be these 14 team monstrosities.

It's because Boren wanted to piss off Texas, and it's the dead season.

andycapps

At that point, the history of conferences, rivalries, bowl games, etc goes away and it's even closer to just being the NFL minor leagues. It certainly has some advantages but I don't think those outweigh the pros of sticking to the model that we have now but making some changes.

I was joking on the Oklahoma thing.

As for the FSU QB thread, race does have a part of it, not the majority of it, but there's definitely racial elements to it. There's been a narrative of young african male being victims of violence (police or non police), and I can understand why young black men feel like they can't protect themselves.

He overreacted and is paying the price for it, but I cannot see how the woman isn't charged as well.

Oh I get that you were joking about Oklahoma, it was clearly Okie Lite being the asshole.

I can definitely understand the racial side where black men feel like they have to take everything and not defend themselves. The difference here is that this is not a white man hitting them, it's a female. That said, she should be charged and he should also be charged and kicked off the football team.

mre

Of course there's a case; he punched her in the face. Whether or not there's a case worth pursuing will depend upon (1) whether or not she suffered any significant injury to an organ (eye or brain, in this case), (2) whether or not he has any assets worth pursuing (i.e., is he judgment proof, can she ever collect on a judgment she receives? Probably not, because he's a college student.), and (3) whether or not she can come up with some successful theory for holding the bar responsible (did they over serve him? improperly staffed to handle fights or confrontation? etc.).

Of course, all of this is putting aside any defenses he may have.

andycapps

Of course there's a case; he punched her in the face. Whether or not there's a case worth pursuing will depend upon (1) whether or not she suffered any significant injury to an organ (eye or brain, in this case), (2) whether or not he has any assets worth pursuing (i.e., is he judgment proof, can she ever collect on a judgment she receives? Probably not, because he's a college student.), and (3) whether or not she can come up with some successful theory for holding the bar responsible (did they over serve him? improperly staffed to handle fights or confrontation? etc.).

Of course, all of this is putting aside any defenses he may have.

I guess the question seems to be that if she hits him, and he hits her, are the charges equal? Or since she attempted to hit him first, does she get charged and should he not be charged because he was defending himself by punching her back, even though he is much larger than her? Don't start nothing, won't be nothing seems to be the motto in the thread.

At what point does it cross from defending oneself into aggression? I would think he would have been fine if he just held her back, but once he hit her, the game done changed.

Ganhyun

Isn't this dude 19? How the fuck did he get into a bar?

Like any other bar near colleges. They only half check ids at best? The bars know these kids will spend money and they want it.

Edit: Also, some bars let you in at 18, but you cannot drink, so this could be one of those places?

andycapps

Isn't this dude 19? How the fuck did he get into a bar?

He can get in but the bouncer should have given him a stamp or some indication to the bartender that he couldn't get drinks. But we know he was probably allowed to drink.

I really can't believe what I'm seeing in the other thread. Everyone is circling the wagons and using this as a racial thing, for one, and as some platform to push the agenda that if women want to be equal to men they should also be equal in receiving punches as well. Nothing surprises me anymore.

mre

I guess the question seems to be that if she hits him, and he hits her, are the charges equal? Or since she attempted to hit him first, does she get charged and should he not be charged because he was defending himself by punching her back, even though he is much larger than her? Don't start nothing, won't be nothing seems to be the motto in the thread.

At what point does it cross from defending oneself into aggression? I would think he would have been fine if he just held her back, but once he hit her, the game done changed.
Apologies, I was answering your question from a civil context.

From the video, they could both probably be charged. Her for assault (since I don't think she landed a punch?) and him for assault and battery. He could, at least, raise the self defense issue, but given the relative difference in their physical stature, that could be a tough sell to a jury.

Draxal

He can get in but the bouncer should have given him a stamp or some indication to the bartender that he couldn't get drinks. But we know he was probably allowed to drink.

I really can't believe what I'm seeing in the other thread. Everyone is circling the wagons and using this as a racial thing, for one, and as some platform to push the agenda that if women want to be equal to men they should also be equal in receiving punches as well. Nothing surprises me anymore.

Well, there's been two recent cases of prominent female stars committing domestic violence, Hope Solo and Brittney Griner(albeit Brittney was with her female partner) attacking her nephew and step sister. So I don't think their position is that indefensible The Hope Solo one is key as she did alot of damage to her nephew with punches only.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Police-Hope-Solo-repeatedly-punched-nephew-5573464.php

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...griner-arrested-assault-charge-abrk/26233395/

I don't think you can discount the amount of damage that a woman can do. However, in this case the response was clearly disproportionate (he tried to pull his punch, but he didn't do it nearly enough), I only think she should be charged as well.

Apologies, I was answering your question from a civil context.

From the video, they could both probably be charged. Her for assault (since I don't think she landed a punch?) and him for assault and battery. He could, at least, raise the self defense issue, but given the relative difference in their physical stature, that could be a tough sell to a jury.

I think the punch landed, but it was incredibly soft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom