• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

You guys have me wanting to try Cookout. Unfortunately I'm not within 1000 miles of one.

Area served
Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia

It's not amazing, but it's only like $5. Basically it's what Mc Ds should be instead of $7 for worse food.

Vanilla is right. It's not the best food in the world, but the sheer amount of decent fast food you get for $5 is astounding.

Azwethinkweiz said:
I think you guys are forgetting the best chicken fast food place, raising canes. That place has great chicken and God tier dipping sauce.

Canes is fine but I prefer Zaxby's. But whenever this comes up I feel like it's my duty to say that Guthries was doing that before either of them and will always be the best. Sadly, there are few of those remaining.

KingGondo

Banned
Never had Zaxby's before, but they're putting one in a few blocks from my house.

They're also bulldozing a shady apartment complex to do it. Progress!

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Zaxby's. But whenever this comes up I feel like it's my duty to say that Guthries was doing that before either of them and will always be the best. Sadly, there are few of those remaining.
You're god damned right. Thankfully, they just opened a new one up near me.
Ooooo I see were in Saban excuse season
Excuses or explanations? I have no idea what he said but there is a difference, and I'm assuming he was responding to some sort of question like "what happened in the OSU game?"

Edit: Draft grades? Nope, that's an excuse. Christ, Saban.

mre

Unless you're a complete sociopath of a coach who gives zero fucks about your players' health and safety, shouldn't you always want your players to play not to get hurt?
That was a daft comment by Saban, but no? You should always want your players to not get hurt, but playing so as to not get hurt is not what you want your players to do.

andycapps

Unless you're a complete sociopath of a coach who gives zero fucks about your players' health and safety, shouldn't you always want your players to play not to get hurt?

Right, but then if someone gets hurt that's one more guy that's a candidate for roster management in the offseason.
Kidding, of course nobody wants their players to get hurt

Like mre said above, you don't want them to play tentatively and play not to get hurt. But to pin the loss on that is shifting the blame onto the players instead of accepting it himself.

Poor excuse for poor play. Smart's idea of going to Herman to break down what tOSU did to them in the game was a good idea, and essentially admitting they underestimated Cardale Jones was a much better explanation. I think their real problem was not being able to stop Ezekiel Elliott. That may also lie in not getting a good interior line rush, which ties into why Saban was wanting to take a risk in getting Jonathan Taylor. They need immediate help there and he would have offered that.

mre

Right, but then if someone gets hurt that's one more guy that's a candidate for roster management in the offseason.

Like mre said above, you don't want them to play tentatively and play not to get hurt. But to pin the loss on that is shifting the blame onto the players instead of accepting it himself.

Poor excuse for poor play. Smart's idea of going to Herman to break down what tOSU did to them in the game was a good idea, and essentially admitting they underestimated Cardale Jones was a much better explanation. I think their real problem was not being able to stop Ezekiel Elliott. That may also lie in not getting a good interior line rush, which ties into why Saban was wanting to take a risk in getting Jonathan Taylor. They need immediate help there and he would have offered that.
Taylor is still a mystery to me. We went over this at the time, but it wasn't DLine play that hurt us. It was our miserable depth at MLB. We had:
MIKE

33 Trey DePriest/10 Reuben Foster

11 Shaun Dion Hamilton

WILL

18 Reggie Ragland/10 Reuben Foster

35 Walker Jones
We had two MLBs: DePriest and Ragland. After that, it went downhill:
(1) I don't think Walker Jones ever played. Not even against Southeastern Northwest Michigan U.
(2) Reuben Foster who, while being a human bullet, was limited in his playing time because of his fundamental inability to grasp the need to keep his head up. He played sparingly, and mainly on special teams, for his own safety.
(3) Note that Foster is listed as the backup to both positions.
(4) Shaun Dion Hamilton, a true freshman who will end up being a good player for us but who was undersized and inexperienced. Much like Texas when McCoy went out, we failed to prepare Hamilton to play on a big stage, so when he came in to replace the injured Ragland, Elliott blew right past him for the winning TD.

We've really whiffed at MLB recruiting for several years, but hopefully we've got some good young players that are ready to step up behind Ragland. As of the A-Day game, Foster was no longer wearing that huge collar to keep him from breaking his neck, so I'm hopeful he's learned to keep his fricking head up when he hits. Hopefully, we've filled the holes at MLB, but I guess we'll see against Wiscy.
Is that really possible?
Possibly, but unlikely. SACS threatened Auburn, too, with loss of accreditation but never followed through.

Right, Smarts was an explanation, Saban's was an excuse and is petty

I kind of have a problem with schools losing accreditation over sports activities. Some dude whos never watched a game of football/basketball in his life could have his college career wrecked? Seems to me the best solution is to fire all the shit teachers/admins/etc who are allowing it to happen.

Draxal

Is that really possible?

I would put it as less than 1%, it's really the option of last resort.

I kind of have a problem with schools losing accreditation over sports activities. Some dude whos never watched a game of football/basketball in his life could have his college career wrecked? Seems to me the best solution is to fire all the shit teachers/admins/etc who are allowing it to happen.

It went beyond sports activities.

Jhriad

I kind of have a problem with schools losing accreditation over sports activities.

It had almost nothing to do with actual sports activities and more to do with a university employee exploiting their position to harm children and during/afterward several levels of the school administration chose to do nothing. Regardless of what department those employees are in the ultimate responsibility lies with the university and the upper level staff that were made aware of the problem and chose to ignore it. That's a university-wide problem and should be addressed as such. It might not be directly related to academics but much like the issue of rape on campuses across the nation there are only so many levers that can be pulled, or in this case threaten to be pulled, in order to force institutional change.

Too bad Penn State got off so light.

It had almost nothing to do with actual sports activities and more to do with a university employee exploiting their position to harm children and during/afterward several levels of the school administration chose to do nothing. Regardless of what department those employees are in the ultimate responsibility lies with the university and the upper level staff that were made aware of the problem and chose to ignore it. That's a university-wide problem and should be addressed as such. It might not be directly related to academics but much like the issue of rape on campuses across the nation there are only so many levers that can be pulled, or in this case threaten to be pulled, in order to force institutional change.

Too bad Penn State got off so light.

Guess thats true, just sucks for those others, but hey, life's not fair.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/unc-scandal/article27161878.html

Probably should be posted in OT, but w/e

But it seems like UNC's accrediting agency (SACS OOC) isn't happy with UNC's reforms and is threatening a second year of probation (which means it would lose accreditation.

Yeah SACS COC is huge on assessment. They want schools to prove that whatever they are saying or implementing can be assessed and improved upon. So if UNC gave them a list of 70 reforms, SACS will expect UNC to be able to be detailed in their assessment and show some sort of progress. They apply this from everything to academic programs, student affairs/involvement issues, to how the HR department operates.

It'll take time for UNC. I'm sure if they are at least able to demonstrate assessment for these reforms, they'll be spared a loss of accreditation.

andycapps

Taylor is still a mystery to me. We went over this at the time, but it wasn't DLine play that hurt us. It was our miserable depth at MLB. We had:

We had two MLBs: DePriest and Ragland. After that, it went downhill:
(1) I don't think Walker Jones ever played. Not even against Southeastern Northwest Michigan U.
(2) Reuben Foster who, while being a human bullet, was limited in his playing time because of his fundamental inability to grasp the need to keep his head up. He played sparingly, and mainly on special teams, for his own safety.
(3) Note that Foster is listed as the backup to both positions.
(4) Shaun Dion Hamilton, a true freshman who will end up being a good player for us but who was undersized and inexperienced. Much like Texas when McCoy went out, we failed to prepare Hamilton to play on a big stage, so when he came in to replace the injured Ragland, Elliott blew right past him for the winning TD.

We've really whiffed at MLB recruiting for several years, but hopefully we've got some good young players that are ready to step up behind Ragland. As of the A-Day game, Foster was no longer wearing that huge collar to keep him from breaking his neck, so I'm hopeful he's learned to keep his fricking head up when he hits. Hopefully, we've filled the holes at MLB, but I guess we'll see against Wiscy.

Possibly, but unlikely. SACS threatened Auburn, too, with loss of accreditation but never followed through.

Right, but ideally you want your linemen to stop the play at the line and have it not get through to the second level. Obviously the MLB's for Bama were struggling in the game and getting worn down over the course of the game. Didn't help that one starter goes out, a true freshman goes in and get pancaked on an Elliott run that results in a TD.

MLB is a really hard spot to recruit these days because they're asking the guys to defend passes more and more, as well as stop the run. Most MLB's I've seen are usually better at stopping the run than defending a pass, as you'd expect. Which is why UGA was so happy to get Roquan Smith this year. He's good at defending the pass but is very physical against the run. I'm not sure how much he'll play given the depth ahead of him, especially given he needs to put on a little weight.

Man, someone just reminded me that NCAA Football '16 would have come out yesterday. That's depressing. I might need to dig my PS3 out of the closet and find a copy of the last one-was that '13 or '14?

andycapps

Didn't SACS pull UGA's accreditation once? But it was like in the 50s or 60s?

1940, and it affected more than just UGA. Talmadge was a racist asshole that wanted two professors at UGA fired that were pushing integration, so he ended up firing the entire Board of Regents and the schools lost accreditation.

Not in the 3-4.
Fair, you want a big nose tackle to eat up double teams and DE's to occupy the line so that your linebackers can make plays. I'm just saying that if you have a bad line, those lb's will be running sideline to sideline getting a tackle 4-8 yards downfield rather than stepping up into the gaps for a 2-3 yard gain.

Man, someone just reminded me that NCAA Football '16 would have come out yesterday. That's depressing. I might need to dig my PS3 out of the closet and find a copy of the last one-was that '13 or '14?

14 I think. I wonder if we'll ever get an NCAA game again. Just give all the players fake names for all I care

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I don't think I even purchased the last NCAA football game :(

Do the multiplayer servers even work?

‏@plaxicoburress 3h3 hours ago
I recall Nick Saban telling me to stay in school finish what I started, I wasnt 1st round pick and he left for LSU b4 the season was over

Shots fired! But also Plax so..

andycapps

Malcolm Mitchell, who is part of that women's book club that got him a bunch of news last year, has now written a children's book.

8gamwnKh.jpg

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Don't think I've ever mentioned it but my best friend has a ton of interesting run ins with coaches from the ACC and SEC cause he use to work at a hotel where they'd hold conferences for everyone in the league.

The OBC is as hilarious IRL as you'd imagine. LOL

andycapps

Don't think I've ever mentioned it but my best friend has a ton of interesting run ins with coaches from the ACC and SEC cause he use to work at a hotel where they'd hold conferences for everyone in the league.

I'd love to hang out with the OBC and drink some banquet beer.

1 million copies to be purchased by Georgia fans.

Only if there's a bunch of pictures.

Lunar15

He's still my favorite coach in the league, even after leaving UF.

andycapps

It wasn't a dig at the intelligence of your fans... I'm not a tech fan.

Hey man, I just figured I'd get the jokes out of the way for them.

Feldman has an article up about the book.

HOOVER, Ala. -- Last year the guy who was the most impressive at SEC Media Days was Chris Conley. This year it was another UGA WR -- Malcolm Mitchell.

The Dawgs wideout, who has been very active promoting children to read and has a Twitter account @ReadWithMalcolm, unveiled the book he just wrote called "The Magician's Hat" Thursday using the big media platform to further spread the message.

Asked what he wants kids to take away from his book, Mitchell said, "I can be whatever I want to be if I dream it."

Mitchell said the book cost him around $500 to produce, but it would've cost more had a friend not helped out doing the illustrations. The book is available through his feed for $18.95. It is aimed at children from grades K-4.

Last year Conley came to Hoover and talked about, among other things, the movie he had made. So what's in the water of that UGA wide receiver room?

Mitchell smiled. "Coach Richt doesn't confine us to just be athletes."

I'm sure someone will call into Finebaum today and say "Well this is why Richt can't win at Georgia, PAWWWLL. He's letting them waste time writing books instead of playing footbaw!"

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
and now cowherd is leaving espn, i welcome our Fox Sports 1 overlords.

Sadly it will never happen

I don't necessarily need another network to knock ESPN off of the #1 spot, I would just like for any other network to show enough legitimacy to make it not sound like a joke when you say "you complain about ESPN so much, why not try x station instead?"

I personally barely watch any ESPN anymore (outside of any actual games they are showing, I mean) but I appear to be in the quite small minority. I basically just watch College Gameday during football season and Sportscenter for a day or two every few months (when a particularly interesting story is making the rounds). Don't listen to ESPN Radio, though I do use the ESPN website almost exclusively for sports stories. NFL Network gets the lion's share of my attention for pro football year round.

Wreav

Banned
Sumlin at a Coach's Night dinner, regarding safety-turned-reality-star Clay Honeycutt:

"He's a lot better at acting than playing safety."

giphy.gif

Glad he said it, cause Clay was a disaster on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom