• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhriad

You won't get any defense of the Big 12 from me.

Nobody here can possibly hate my conference as much as I do.

Oh I think I can find a few people that hate the Big 12 as much as you. It's been a shit show conference for years and we were fortunate enough to get out when we did. I miss playing Big 8/12 opponents, I don't miss the conference one bit.

KingGondo

Banned
Oh I think I can find a few people that hate the Big 12 as much as you. It's been a shit show conference for years and we were fortunate enough to get out when we did. I miss playing Big 8/12 opponents, I don't miss the conference one bit.
I miss the old conference. It's a shame it got wrecked by terrible leadership and lack of foresight.

Even when we had the opportunity to make the league significantly better we left Louisville hanging so the ACC could pounce on them.

I'm still hoping for the league to dissolve in the next few years so the bigger football schools can join real conferences.

tDJfi6V.jpg

https://twitter.com/ESPNCFB/status/623531653659406336/photo/1

I miss the old conference. It's a shame it got wrecked by terrible leadership and lack of foresight.

Even when we had the opportunity to make the league significantly better we left Louisville hanging so the ACC could pounce on them.

I'm still hoping for the league to dissolve in the next few years so the bigger football schools can join real conferences.

Goddamn Texas and its LHN ruining the MDC.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Well, big xii is going to crack down on offensive lineman being down the field on run pass options. Auburn would die if the sec followed suit.

andycapps

Riding that SEC jock as always. #SurprisedNotSurprised

Isn't this less a popularity contest and more of a computer generated indicator of success based on players returning, schedule, etc?

Well, big xii is going to crack down on offensive lineman being down the field on run pass options. Auburn would die if the sec followed suit.

They only call that when it's UGA with an offensive lineman downfield. I'm being sarcastic, but I think it goes by the philosophy that Richard Sherman follows regarding pass interference. If you do it every play, they'll never/rarely call it. Auburn does it every play, and they never get called.

They only call that when it's UGA with an offensive lineman downfield. I'm being sarcastic, but I think it goes by the philosophy that Richard Sherman follows regarding pass interference. If you do it every play, they'll never/rarely call it. Auburn does it every play, and they never get called.

You're growing soft. Surely, you could have worked in Georgia Tech and chop blocks.

Speaking of preseason, ACC was predicted to go like this:

Full results of the preseason ACC Championship vote:

1. Clemson Tigers (84)
2. Florida State Seminoles (41)
3. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (20)
4. Virginia Tech Hokies (7)
5. North Carolina Tarheels (3)
6. Miami (FL) Hurricanes (2)
7. NC State Wolfpack (1)

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/07/21/clemson-football-acc-preseason-champions

I guess this is breaking news: ACC to only use 7 schools this year. I guess Duke and Wake Forest and the rest will be gone fishing.

And again, what homer writers are voting for Carolina again? Every year with this.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Speaking of preseason, ACC was predicted to go like this:

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/07/21/clemson-football-acc-preseason-champions

I guess this is breaking news: ACC to only use 7 schools this year. I guess Duke and Wake Forest and the rest will be gone fishing.

And again, what homer writers are voting for Carolina again? Every year with this.

If you want to know how stupid these type of polls are NCST got a vote to win the conference, but they got 0 votes to win their division.

If you want to know how stupid these type of polls are NCST got a vote to win the conference, but they got 0 votes to win their division.

That's actually a good question.

I mean, I saw an SEC poll last week that had Alabama winning the west and Auburn winning the conference, which was a funny anomaly, but this one above defies all reason.

The SEC one has Auburn winning the title but Bama winning the division soooo

At least that one can be explained, unless (like the ACC) Auburn had no votes for the division at all. If the votes were 50 Alabama, 40 Auburn, but the 40 were more confident than the 50 in terms of beating whomever from the east, then the results make sense. 100-0, and the 0 wins? Nope.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The SEC one has Auburn winning the title but Bama winning the division soooo

That one actually makes sense to a degree with how it was laid out.

In this instant the person who chose NCST to win it all literally didn't check the box for them to win their division.

Draxal

I'm not knocking the current Big 12, I just had to knock the situation they were in last year.

Louisville/Cinci/WV would be great. Ohio is a good football state that should have more than one BCS school.

Honestly, even though Rutgers benefitted the most along with TCU and Utah in this round of conference expansion, I do wish there was more benefit to having a more regional conference make up than this spread out one we have right now.

andycapps

BTW if you haven't noticed... gosh I fucking hate preseason polls.

I have some good news for you. Summer camp starts two weeks from yesterday. Or at least it does for UGA. That's when we can look forward to some FSU shirtless pictures! The next phase of offseason doldums will commence shortly.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

I'll welcome Okie State to the MWC with open arms.

Oh any yeah, the Big XII seems to be taking the Big East's how to run a football conference approach. OU is going to get to a boiling point if they continue to be reactive rather than proactive.

Draxal

FSU has to be increasingly getting pissed as the ACC network continues to be nonexistant.

Yeah, I think Florida got 31 from the sec last year as well .... so that's the number that they're really targeting.

Speaking of the ACC.network.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/20/still-no-timetable-for-an-acc-network/

FSU numbers were also from 2013-4 and not 2014-5 so the difference will not be as large with FSU making the playoffs (so the bowl money should be good for the ACC last year).

Yeah, I think Florida got 31 from the sec last year as well .... so that's the number that they're really targeting.

Speaking of the ACC.network.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/20/still-no-timetable-for-an-acc-network/

FSU numbers were also from 2013-4 and not 2014-5 so the difference will not be as large with FSU making the playoffs (so the bowl money should be good for the ACC last year).

Wasn't the promise of an ACC Network one of the major things that convinced FSU to stay on with the conference? Still seems like the conference still hasn't gotten it together on that front.

andycapps

It must thrill Sparty to see all of these chucklefuck programs above them in preseason rankings every single fucking year.

I'd have that reaction if I was Dantonio and I saw Texas A&M, Arkansas, and Ole Miss in there. Then again, they keep getting overlooked and keep having great seasons. The joke's on the media, who live on controversy, and have nobody to answer to when they're wrong.

ag-my001

FSU has to be increasingly getting pissed as the ACC network continues to be nonexistant.
Oh it exists alright. It exists solely to force my local CBS station that has the rights to stay with a Virginia/Wake Forest game with twelve minutes left instead of switching to the national SEC broadcast.

And :jnc at A&M being on that poll. My most optimistic dreams has us at 10-2 this year, but I'm expecting an 8-4.

6-6 if non conference gets ugly.

We lost Randolph!?

And I don't understand why FSU isn't on the preseason top 10. Jameis wasn't all that dominant last season so losing him wont be as impactful as people may believe. They have Cook back which is huge.

Draxal

We lost Randolph!?

And I don't understand why FSU isn't on the preseason top 10. Jameis wasn't all that dominant last season so losing him wont be as impactful as people may believe. They have Cook back which is huge.

It had to be a requested ban .. as I don't see anything banworthy.

Oh it exists alright. It exists solely to force my local CBS station that has the rights to stay with a Virginia/Wake Forest game with twelve minutes left instead of switching to the national SEC broadcast.

And :jnc at A&M being on that poll. My most optimistic dreams has us at 10-2 this year, but I'm expecting an 8-4.

6-6 if non conference gets ugly.

You guys should do well considering you only play 3 true road games this year. That's impressive even for SEC standards.

ag-my001

I'm just trying to keep an even head about it this year. Last year I went in expecting 8-4, then the USCe game happened, and I bought into the hyped more than I should have.

I just look at this year's schedule and don't see a ton of obvious wins. Plenty of winnable games, yes, but not gimmes. The ASU opener is a 50/50 toss-up to me. Miss. St. is at home and they lost a bunch of starters, but who knows. Arky makes me nervous; I would've loved to have the bye week before them over Alabama to be honest.

We should beat Ball State, Nevada, W. Carolina, and Vandy. We have a good chance against ASU, Ole Miss, Miss. St., and USCe. LSU, Arky, and Auburn, I have no clue about. Like I said, I can foresee anywhere from 10-2 down to missing a bowl game.

Still, there's room for optimism. SBNation's pre-season nonsense (as this all is) has A&M as seventh in the west, but with their own projections, an A&M win over Ole Miss (and all else the same) moves them to third.

ag-my001

And now that I'm back from my honeymoon, it's time to judge all the states I passed through based on their roads and drivers.

Virginia: Every driver and road north of the 295 split sucks. No exceptions. My trip back was two hours longer than it should have been. Only five minutes of that didn't happen in your state and involved an upside-down SUV. You were just stupid congestion.

North Carolina: Why do you randomly drop the speed limit down to 65? Weird. Also, I've never seen adult products stores with such optimistically sized parking lots.

South Carolina: Your roads need work, but at least your interstate drivers are classy. Everyone drives in the right lane, passes on the left, and gets back into the right. A+.

Georgia: Only crossed over into Savannah, but very well done. People stopped for pedestrians at crosswalks. My wife, who has never really traveled south, even said she found it weird how nice and polite everyone was. If only the public schools were better...

Yeah noticed that with SC. Interstate roads suck, but the drivers are reasonable. And Savannah is a very pedestrian friendly town, so no shock there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom