• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.
@TravHaneyESPN
Auburn's Malzahn told me he thinks SEC at disadvantage in CFP because of strength of the league. Others fresher for playoff as result.

Yeah, not everyone can beat Wisconsin 59-0, huh Gus?

andycapps

@TravHaneyESPN
Auburn's Malzahn told me he thinks SEC at disadvantage in CFP because of strength of the league. Others fresher for playoff as result.

I guess he was still recovering from getting beaten 34-7 by UGA last year.

AntoneM

@TravHaneyESPN

Hahahahahaha.

Man, Saban to chicken to play 10 P5 teams a year and now Mahlzan buying that ESPN hype. What's next? Sumlin complaining about 3 road games this year?

Hahahahahaha.

Man, Saban to chicken to play 10 P5 teams a year and now Mahlzan buying that ESPN hype. What's next? Sumlin complaining about 3 road games this year?

Sec good bowl season, sec is just that good
Sec bad bowl season, sec is just that good

Also Gus forgot to factor in what I dub "chicken shit Saturday" the slate of sec games in week 13 every year

Sec good bowl season, sec is just that good
Sec bad bowl season, sec is just that good

Also Gus forgot to factor in what I dub "chicken shit Saturday" the slate of sec games in week 13 every year

That's week 12. That's also when all academic and off field violation investigations are completed.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I feel for all of the Southern ACC and SEC schools starting up soon as well as HS players. This is how hot it is in GA where I live...

20150721_163936vhod2.jpg

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I parked my car under the shade of a large tree yesterday, and got in it around 5:30 pm. Car Temp said 118. I believe it's just broken after a month long run of 106.

@TravHaneyESPN

The SEC loses their guaranteed spot in the title game and the excuses start flowing.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
That one actually makes sense to a degree with how it was laid out.

In this instant the person who chose NCST to win it all literally didn't check the box for them to win their division.

Well this might explain the preseason polls in this ACC Football Media guide

CKY_bU2WUAA_tl8.jpg

andycapps

Evillore went in on the south in that one thread.

I didn't think it was that extreme for this site. It seems to be okay on GAF to make sweeping generalizations of the south, despite that map showing a pretty clear indication that it's an east coast issue, if anything. Seems like it's close to, if not, as prevalent in the NE as the SE.

Draxal

I didn't think it was that extreme for this site. It seems to be okay on GAF to make sweeping generalizations of the south, despite that map showing a pretty clear indication that it's an east coast issue, if anything. Seems like it's close to, if not, as prevalent in the NE as the SE.

It wasn't and I was more joking around (but realized my statement was drier than intended), and yeah the NE is kinda weird in this regard. African Americans are seen as coming from the city, and there is alot of people who hate city folk in the rural areas (especially upstate vs NYC). However, in the urban areas white flight does exist.

But MRE did post a rebuttal!

edit. Intrastatepolitics also have a huge impact here, I'm not lying when I stated in that North Jersey considers South Jersey to be an extension of Alabama, and the Upstate vs NYC and LI.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Hence, my thoughts:
Actually, based upon that map, It would be more correct to say that "the deep south can be extremely backwards and racist, and parts of it do feel exactly like the rural northeast."

Not that being "more [racist] than average" is anything to crow about, but I am surprised by the number of dark red areas in the rural northeast when compared to the number of dark red areas in the southern states.

I found it funny that the study was based on the usage of the n word. If your area only hates Hispanics, Arabs, and Asians, you can still be seen as progressive!

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I found it funny that the study was based on the usage of the n word. If your area only hates Hispanics, Arabs, and Asians, you can still be seen as progressive!
Yeah, others have done a good job pointing out that study's deficiencies. I mean, I'm not sure what sort of searches were being run by these people, but it's hard to measure someone's intentions based off of one word searches.

ag-my001

Yeah, others have done a good job pointing out that study's deficiencies. I mean, I'm not sure what sort of searches were being run by these people, but it's hard to measure someone's intentions based off of one word searches.
A few have posted about the deficiencies and limitations. Most just jumped in on the title and ignored that the study authors were only going for one group, choosing a pot shot at Arizona or Texas instead of reading. The authors even point out they eliminated related search terms that were less likely to be racially motivated.

Still, the chemist in me would title the thread "SHOCKING NEWS: Sociology study gives vague results with entangled variables", but that would be the same title as half the internet.

andycapps

It wasn't and I was more joking around (but realized my statement was drier than intended), and yeah the NE is kinda weird in this regard. African Americans are seen as coming from the city, and there is alot of people who hate city folk in the rural areas (especially upstate vs NYC). However, in the urban areas white flight does exist.

But MRE did post a rebuttal!

edit. Intrastatepolitics also have a huge impact here, I'm not lying when I stated in that North Jersey considers South Jersey to be an extension of Alabama, and the Upstate vs NYC and LI.

True.. People from the city dislike people from rural areas.. So there's dislike between two different geographical areas, then of course racism. The dislike between geographical regions also seems to exist also relating to whenever racism is brought up it's "lol the south again" ignoring the fact that it's not just limited to the south. "Lol the south" does provide a convenient scapegoat due to Civil Rights era history (of which there is much to be embarrassed of) and enables people not in "lol the south" to feel better about themselves and where they live.

So while there's been a bunch of stuff happening in the south that is worthy of derision, let's not act like the problems are limited to that region and ignore them until they become a bigger issue. Like Baltimore.

Hence, my thoughts:

I saw that, and I concur.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Biggest thing that blows my mind/other people's mind is living in GA just the interaction with black people because the population is so high compare to other places. I had a buddy move to Denver for a time cause of his wife's job, and he was like yo I haven't seen a black person since I left the airport. I thought he was bullshitting till I went to visit.

andycapps

Biggest thing that blows my mind/other people's mind is living in GA just the interaction with black people because the population is so high compare to other places. I had a buddy move to Denver for a time cause of his wife's job, and he was like yo I haven't seen a black person since I left the airport. I thought he was bullshitting till I went to visit.
I hear the pacific NW also has low amounts of black people...

andycapps

Denver had a large Mexican population.

Visited Montana once. It was like 100% white people except for the Indian reservation.

They touch on that a little bit in this.

Not wanting SEC coaches to be alone in their whining, Art Briles has chimed in.

Art Briles: “If Baylor or TCU had an older brand name, one of us would have got in the @CFBPlayoff”

— Brett McMurphy (@McMurphyESPN) July 22, 2015

Right, because Oregon has an older brand name. Lack of a conference championship game had absolutely nothing to do with it.

KingGondo

Banned
Eh, I doubt a CCG would have been the difference. It was virtually impossible to leave out any of the 4 teams that got picked.

If Baylor or TCU had beaten a marquee OOC opponent that might have helped. The best win between them was Minnesota.

Eh, I doubt a CCG would have been the difference. It was virtually impossible to leave out any of the 4 teams that got picked.

If Baylor or TCU had beaten a marquee OOC opponent that might have helped. The best win between them was Minnesota.

Which reminds me TCU @ Minnesota is a week 1 matchup for the belt. The belt has been circulating the big 12 for like 5 years so this will be an opportunity to move conferences

KingGondo

Banned
Which reminds me TCU @ Minnesota is a week 1 matchup for the belt. The belt has been circulating the big 12 for like 5 years so this will be an opportunity to move conferences
TCU is gonna smack the shit out of Minny.

Probably won't move conferences for a while.
Yeah. Good luck finding any outside of the Seattle/Portland metro areas unless you're near a military base.
Yeah, all Americans should get down off their high horse regarding race relations. The entire country has a sordid past in one way or another.

Art Briles: “If Baylor or TCU had an older brand name, one of us would have got in the @CFBPlayoff”

— Brett McMurphy (@McMurphyESPN) July 22, 2015

Fuck Briles and fuck Baylor.

Lost his bowl game and he STILL won't shut up about the playoff.

andycapps

The SEC: Where even traditionally garbage programs rocket to the Top 10 when they have a semi-competent season.

Hey man, I'm with you there. I don't get why the little sisters of the SEC are suddenly ranked in everybody's top 10. Then again, when they get the shit beat out of them by the big boys it's a good reality check.

KingGondo

Banned
Hey man, I'm with you there. I don't get why the little sisters of the SEC are suddenly ranked in everybody's top 10. Then again, when they get the shit beat out of them by the big boys it's a good reality check.
Yeah, except it still fucks over other conferences because Bama gets a huge amount of credit for beating a "top 10" Arky and Ole Miss.

KingGondo

Banned
Valid point.

It's hilarious how much credit Dan Mullen and Hugh Freeze have gotten while never winning their division.
Hey now, Ole Miss finished 2nd in the SEC West in 2008.
Under Houston Nutt.

Yeah, you're right. Those dudes make a killing in spite of never winning a damn thing except the Egg Bowl.

Lunar15

Yeah, SEC makes no sense. Can't disagree there.

All the shit with the missippi teams makes no sense. A lot of it is completely self-fulfilling prophecy.

Old Miss is good because they beat Alabama, Alabama is good because they only lost to Old Miss who is good, but only because they beat Alabama.

To be fair, it helps with other teams do stupid things like losing to Iowa State.

I know a friend from Ames. Never gonna let him live this one down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom