• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a bingo.

I'm so happy that the UFARTED sign is real. So happy.

Texas brought $161 million in revenue last year. So it may come as a surprise that they're reducing the amounts of free meals that coaches can get. Makes me happy that our AD has released the purse strings and is on a spending spree right now.

And guess what, we ended up poaching aggy's womens tennis coach as her replacement. I hope Patterson doesn't scare him off after 1 season as well.

Tickets are sold out to the Oklahoma game here in Knoxville.

Secondhand ticket prices are insane. The hype is real.

GBO

I'm seeing Texas @ Notre Dame tickets start at $500+ on the secondary market. Any Texas fan willing to pay that much to watch Texas football in its current state needs to have their head examined. We go back to South Bend in 4 years so its not like this is a once in a lifetime opportunity or anything. Hopefully we'll be back in contention by 2019.

edit: nvm apparently the second home and home with the Domers has been canceled and I didn't get the memo/forgot

I saw that. Paul Johnson would be proud.

I get that it must suck for any Ohio recruit to give up on the dream of playing at OSU, but Jesus Christ, what a stupid move by that kid.

It's obvious that he's not going to get an offer from Ohio State, and he just pissed away the next best thing.

andycapps

I get that it must suck for any Ohio recruit to give up on the dream of playing at OSU, but Jesus Christ, what a stupid move by that kid.

It's obvious that he's not going to get an offer from Ohio State, and he just pissed away the next best thing.
Yeah but I don't see the big deal. In the SEC, it's normal for kids to continue taking visits after they commit somewhere. It's rare that coaches would pull an offer because a recruit visited a rival school. All these top kids are being recruited by the same schools so if you want those top kids, you can't be upset when they all visit the same schools.

ag-my001

I can only imagine (and hope) that Dantonio also has a policy of not rescinding offers once they've been accepted at the "committed" level a la Bobby Petrino. He promises not to pull your offer, you promise not to look at other pastures.

Jhriad

In the SEC, it's normal for kids to continue taking visits after they commit somewhere.

It's pretty common everywhere. This just feels like a crutch used by a staff that has a hard time retaining undervalued talent once higher profile programs start to look at their senior film and reevaluate whether to offer the kid. Pelini used to do something similar though he would basically tell them to get all their visits done first and then decide to commit instead of dropping them once they had. It was pretty annoying sitting at like 5 commitments when the season started only to have a flurry of commits after the season to try to fill out the class in the last few weeks.

I can only imagine (and hope) that Dantonio also has a policy of not rescinding offers once they've been accepted at the "committed" level a la Bobby Petrino. He promises not to pull your offer, you promise not to look at other pastures.

Pelini did this as well though he took it farther by promising a 4 year scholarship regardless of injury during your senior year of high school. He was a terrible recruiter but he was as committed to the kids that committed to Nebraska as he could be.

Yeah but I don't see the big deal. In the SEC, it's normal for kids to continue taking visits after they commit somewhere. It's rare that coaches would pull an offer because a recruit visited a rival school. All these top kids are being recruited by the same schools so if you want those top kids, you can't be upset when they all visit the same schools.

I agree, actually. I'm 100% in favor of giving kids as much freedom as possible during the recruiting process. They're high school kids, and it's a huge decision. They should be allowed to second-guess it until they've signed that L.O.I.

It's just that this kid was dealing with Dantonio, who's very old school when it comes to recruiting, and he probably should have known better than to test him.

Draxal

Well he still has a Michigan offer.

Well he still has a Michigan offer.

wUG6kim.jpg

andycapps

I agree, actually. I'm 100% in favor of giving kids as much freedom as possible during the recruiting process. They're high school kids, and it's a huge decision. They should be allowed to second-guess it until they've signed that L.O.I.

It's just that this kid was dealing with Dantonio, who's very old school when it comes to recruiting, and he probably should have known better than to test him.
Oh I see what you're saying. I know he has offers from Georgia and some other big programs so things will likely work out okay. But yeah, I could see Dantonio being like this.

andycapps

Paul Johnson's policy is, if you are looking then we are looking. I see nothing wrong with that policy.

It's okay if you're primarily recruiting 2-3 stars like they do, but if you want to pull in the big players, it doesn't work like that. Kids are going to commit and then continue to make visits to other schools. Paul Johnson did the same thing Dantonio did.

Such was the case with former recruit, defensive tackle Tre Jackson, who had verbally committed to GT back in October. In recent weeks, however, Jackson gained interest from Florida State and three-star prospect decided to take an official visit to Tallahassee.

It was at that point that Johnson decided to pull Jackson’s scholarship offer.

“If you say you’re committed to Georgia Tech and you’re still visiting people, then in my mind, you’re not committed to Georgia Tech,” Johnson told the Atlanta Journal Constitution. “Now that also clarifies the other aspect of it. If people who are committed to other schools are visiting here, then in my mind they really aren’t committed to other schools.”

Draxal

So expansion rumor time.

Dick Weiss
@HoopsWeiss
Fox sports mulling idea of Kansas OU leaving big 12 for Big to give that conference 16 teams. Just another rumor? @BlueStarMedia1

Dick Weiss is a hall of fame writer for the NYDN.

I would love this, I think Nebraska needs Oklahoma badly.

So expansion rumor time.

Dick Weiss
@HoopsWeiss
Fox sports mulling idea of Kansas OU leaving big 12 for Big to give that conference 16 teams. Just another rumor? @BlueStarMedia1

Dick Weiss is a hall of fame writer for the NYDN.

I would love this, I think Nebraska needs Oklahoma badly.

nice. get the rumor mill churning so Bowlsby's narrative of "We are just fine and healthy with 10 programs" won't be believable

Draxal

nice. get the rumor mill churning so Bowlsby's narrative of "We are just fine and healthy with 10 programs" won't be believable

Apparently, Clay Travis said the same thing last night (about those 2 teams).

If Oklahoma and Kansas go to Big Ten, I think that would guarantee Texas to the Pac 12.

fwiw, I think there's zero chance of this happening as you would have three state governments intervening on the behalf of Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, and Kansas State.

It's okay if you're primarily recruiting 2-3 stars like they do, but if you want to pull in the big players, it doesn't work like that. Kids are going to commit and then continue to make visits to other schools. Paul Johnson did the same thing Dantonio did.
Tre Jackson was planning official visits the weekend before signing day without telling any of the GT coaches and he was ignoring phone calls from GT coaches trying to get more information. If you try to play some secret game with Paul Johnson then you aren't playing at GT. It doesn't matter if you are the number one recruit in the country. He isn't the type of coach to bow down to the whims of a 17 year old.

KingGondo

Banned
Apparently, Clay Travis said the same thing last night (about those 2 teams).

If Oklahoma and Kansas go to Big Ten, I think that would guarantee Texas to the Pac 12.

fwiw, I think there's zero chance of this happening as you would have three state governments intervening on the behalf of Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, and Kansas State.
I doubt the B1G presidents would be keen on OU since they aren't even close to their academic standards.

KU and Mizzou makes more sense. More moving parts in that scenario though.

andycapps

Tre Jackson was planning official visits the weekend before signing day without telling any of the GT coaches and he was ignoring phone calls from GT coaches trying to get more information. If you try to play some secret game with Paul Johnson then you aren't playing at GT. It doesn't matter if you are the number one recruit in the country. He isn't the type of coach to bow down to the whims of a 17 year old.

Hey, at least all these 17 year olds know who the real boss is. Reminds me of this gif.

B7g2aR4.gif

Draxal

I doubt the B1G presidents would be keen on OU since they aren't even close to their academic standards.

KU and Mizzou makes more sense. More moving parts in that scenario though.

Academic standards only matter for mid tier schools/lower tier, Oklahoma's legacy gets them by this (just like Nebraska). I still think the GOR/and state legislatures are by far the bigger issues.

Hey, at least all these 17 year olds know who the real boss is. Reminds me of this gif.
Wow, that point went way over your head didn't it? I know you come from the worship every guy with 5 stars next to his name cult, but not everyone thinks that way. If a kid wants to play games then he can move on to someone else. Simple as that.

andycapps

Wow, that point went way over your head didn't it? I know you come from the worship every guy with 5 stars next to his name cult, but not everyone thinks that way. If a kid wants to play games then he can move on to someone else. Simple as that.

As usually happens when we talk about anything, I'm just going to say enough after this post because we clearly disagree, and as is typical, you get defensive about anything related to Georgia Tech.

But I'll say that I don't give a shit about stars at the end of the day, but there is a good correlation between higher ranked recruits panning out better than lower ranked recruits. So yes, it matters but I don't think any coaches currently getting those high ranked recruits pander to them. One would like to think that recruits are picking a school because the school has a need at their position, they think they can succeed there, they like the academics, etc. But there are some whiny coaches that can't stand a recruit exploring his options prior to signing day and who then pull the kid's offer because they're looking around. Some call this old school, I call it whiny and petulant.

KingGondo

Banned
Academic standards only matter for mid tier schools/lower tier, Oklahoma's legacy gets them by this (just like Nebraska). I still think the GOR/and state legislatures are by far the bigger issues.
I know Nebraska lost their AAU membership after joining, but wasn't that a big reason they were able to join in the first place?

My dream scenario:

Mizzou and KU to B1G

OU, OSU, and Texas to the SEC.

The rest of the Big 12 to the dumpster.

Draxal

I know Nebraska lost their AAU membership after joining, but wasn't that a big reason they were able to join in the first place?

They were known to be on their way out and Wiscy/Michigan's chancellors were key reasons they were getting kicked out. I think Texas goes PAC or they ND the ACC before going to the SEC.

edit. Saw Mizzou leaving ... so that would make the Sec at 16 so I chopped that out.

As usually happens when we talk about anything, I'm just going to say enough after this post because we clearly disagree, and as is typical, you get defensive about anything related to Georgia Tech.

But I'll say that I don't give a shit about stars at the end of the day, but there is a good correlation between higher ranked recruits panning out better than lower ranked recruits. So yes, it matters but I don't think any coaches currently getting those high ranked recruits pander to them. One would like to think that recruits are picking a school because the school has a need at their position, they think they can succeed there, they like the academics, etc. But there are some whiny coaches that can't stand a recruit exploring his options prior to signing day and who then pull the kid's offer because they're looking around. Some call this old school, I call it whiny and petulant.
Give me a break. I made a comment and you responded with a 3rd grade remark and a gif of a coach blocking a kid in basketball. Don't be a jerk and you might not get a response to you being a jerk. Im not sure why you haven't learned that by now.

As for Paul Johnson. You still don't get it. The ratio of 5 star recruits who succeed doesn't matter to him. He isn't going to pander to them like other coaches do. GT has scholarship spots to fill. If a kid is telling us he is committed and then he is visiting other schools without telling us then we are going to go find another kid to fill his spot. Im not sure what is so evil about that. It is very easy for a kid to not commit if he isn't ready to.

Ganhyun

Lets see, ncaa football starts up in about a month, and fans are getting feisty. Yep. All is well in the world.

(Fuck Ga Tech)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
They need to get of all of these hand shake deals or LOI or whatever fuck else there is across all sports.

I know they do it to help with the processes, but fuck it. I thought the same thing in the DeAndre situation. Ditch the whole soft verbal commit, and either you're signed or you aren't. Should be like that for everything.

KingGondo

Banned
Deadspin: 5 Big 12 teams considered jumping to the B1G in 2010.
Was this a concrete proposal for realignment? No.

But it was much, much more than cocktail-napkin speculation.

A Big 12 athletic director, who spoke to The World-Herald on condition of anonymity, said he contacted Big Ten athletic directors and presidents with whom he was familiar in June 2010.

The topic: Was the Big Ten, which had 11 members at the time, interested in adding five Big 12 schools?

The feedback from Big Ten school officials was positive, both sources said. The sticking point was devising a revenue-sharing plan to satisfy all. It would have taken at least three to four years for that many incoming schools to hit the financial payoffs sought for moving.

Baylor will be in a tough spot too.

I would laugh pretty hard if they end up in the AAC.

I would feel somewhat bad for TCU. After the SWC dissolved 20 years ago, they FINALLY got back into a BCS conference, and would yet again be left out to dry. Baylor was fortunate to be in the Big 12 to begin with thanks to some lobbyists that ensured they were In

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom