• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iowa State is the biggest fan of the Big 12. I don't see a power 5 conference taking them if the Big 12 dissolves.
Yeah, Iowa State is fucked if anything happens to the Big 12. They have AAU membership, but that's about it. They don't have anything else that any major conference would want.

Iowa never would have let them into the B1G. Not in a million years.

KingGondo

Banned
I would feel somewhat bad for TCU. After the SWC dissolved 20 years ago, they FINALLY got back into a BCS conference, and would yet again be left out to dry. Baylor was fortunate to be in the Big 12 to begin with thanks to some lobbyists that ensured they were In
TCU is lucky to be in the Big 12 too.

I like them better than Baylor, but neither should really be in a Power 5 conference.

Draxal

TCU is lucky to be in the Big 12 too.

I like them better than Baylor, but neither should really be in a Power 5 conference.

I don't know what to really thing about this truth be told. I mean TCU is only a Power 5 team because of Gary Patterson ... but they survived this far with such meager conference payouts earlier, it's kinda impressive.

KingGondo

Banned
I don't know what to really thing about this truth be told. I mean TCU is only a Power 5 team because of Gary Patterson ... but they survived this far with such meager conference payouts earlier, it's kinda impressive.
I think TCU is Power 5-worthy as a program, especially considering how well they've adapted to the Big 12.

I just don't know where they'd go if the bigger football schools left.

And trust me, I'm aware of the risk that OSU could end up on the outside looking in too.

Draxal

I think TCU is Power 5-worthy as a program, especially considering how well they've adapted to the Big 12.

And trust me, I'm aware of the risk that OSU could end up on the outside looking in too.

I think OSU, KSU, and Tech will be fine as the state governments/congress will but in if they're left out of the party.

ag-my001

I know Nebraska lost their AAU membership after joining, but wasn't that a big reason they were able to join in the first place?

My dream scenario:

Mizzou and KU to B1G

OU, OSU, and Texas to the SEC.

The rest of the Big 12 to the dumpster.

They had AAU at the time, but I believe spinning off their medical school hurt their rankings. I think the Nebraska spin before the move was that the other B1G schools would recognize Nebraska's true academic potential.

Also, why would Mizzou leave the SEC now?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Still, for an unauthorized biography, I wouldn't be mad if Saban actually said this:

CK7y-y8WsAESMdD.jpg

If you haven't caught it by midnight, it ain't worth having.

KingGondo

Banned
They had AAU at the time, but I believe spinning off their medical school hurt their rankings. I think the Nebraska spin before the move was that the other B1G schools would recognize Nebraska's true academic potential.

Also, why would Mizzou leave the SEC now?
Because they've always wanted to be in the B1G. It's a better cultural fit according to them.

I honestly don't really care what happens as long as we stay in a P5 conference. I just hate the current Big 12. It's rinky-dink as fuck.

Jhriad

TCU was originally supposed to have the slot in the formation of the Big 12 that Baylor got until Texas politicians got involved.

They were known to be on their way out and Wiscy/Michigan's chancellors were key reasons they were getting kicked out.

Hardly. Nebraska was always on the the lower end of qualifications but a good part of that was because it's a land-grant university and the focus of such universities is typically held in pretty low esteem by the AAU. As far as Wisconsin & Michigan go Nebraska almost certainly lost more votes from the Big 12 AAU schools voting no as a final bit of vindictiveness than they did for two Big Ten schools voting no. Nebraska was the first school to ever to be voted out and a large part of that falls on how the qualifications are weighted in addition to their former conference-mates all voting against them.

This is correct. NU spun off their medical school not long before the AAU review process in such a way that it was subsequently recognized as essentially a separate school as far as AAU qualifications go. They also hold the school's primary areas of emphasis like agricultural sciences in low esteem and those two things combined tipped the scales so Nebraska fell three votes short of retaining AAU status. Up to that point UNL had been an AAU member for over a century.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

TCU and Baylor's recent success on the field (in multiple sports) has, I think, clouded a few people's minds on how desirable they really are.

Conference realignment is about adding new markets, and TCU is the 4th largest fanbase at best in their own hometown (behind UT, A&M, Tech, and possibly OU). Baylor is in a city that nobody concerned about realignment cares about and they're probably 3rd at best even there (behind UT and A&M at least). If you combine the enrollments of both schools they would still be something like the 9th largest university in Texas. Neither school gives you a bigger part of the Texas market than the aforementioned UT, A&M, Tech, and OU, and maybe even Oklahoma State as well (pretty decent presence in Dallas at least).

When a conference is looking to expand, IMO they couldn't care less if the football team has been 0-60 over the last 5 years as long as they deliver a boatload of eyes on television sets. Baylor was lucky that they got into the Big XII when it was formed while all the other Southwest Conference private schools (TCU, Rice, SMU) were left out in the cold, and TCU got lucky that they were on a hot streak when the Big XII got desperate and they had UT in their corner when a number of other schools wanting Louisville instead.

Draxal

Hardly. Nebraska was always on the the lower end of qualifications but a good part of that was because it's a land-grant university and the focus of such universities is typically held in pretty low esteem by the AAU. As far as Wisconsin & Michigan go Nebraska almost certainly lost more votes from the Big 12 AAU schools voting no as a final bit of vindictiveness than they did for two Big Ten schools voting no. Nebraska was the first school to ever to be voted out and a large part of that falls on how the qualifications are weighted in addition to their former conference-mates all voting against them.

They were on the way out, like Syracuse was (but Syracuse quit before they were forced out), the AAU really wanted to contract, once it go to the voting stage it was a tough sell.

Don't discount how important Wiscy/Michigan voting against Nebraska was, if they both voted yes Nebraska would still be in the AAU (they were two votes short).

Jhriad

They were on the way out, like Syracuse was (but Syracuse quit before they were forced out), the AAU really wanted to contract, once it go to the voting stage it was a tough sell.

Don't discount how important Wiscy/Michigan voting against Nebraska was, if they both voted yes Nebraska would still be in the AAU (they were two votes short).

No, they were three votes short. It would have taken at least 42 votes to oust them and they got 44. Even if Wisconsin and Michigan had both voted to keep Nebraska they still would have been booted. Barring those two schools convincing others to vote against Nebraska for some reason their votes had no realistic bearing on whether or not Nebraska retained AAU status. Contraction is and was an insignificant consideration given how little a single school being booted matters as far as funding goes especially considering that they actually added another school not that long ago.

Draxal

No, they were three votes short. It would have taken at least 42 votes to oust them and they got 44. Even if Wisconsin and Michigan had both voted to keep Nebraska they still would have been booted. Barring those two schools convincing others to vote against Nebraska for some reason their votes had no realistic bearing on whether or not Nebraska retained AAU status. Contraction is and was an insignificant consideration given how little a single school being booted matters as far as funding goes.

Source?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/03/education/03aau.html

According to association rules, it takes a two-thirds majority — 42 votes — to remove a member; 44 voted against Nebraska.

And to get away from this tangent, if Oklahoma wants into the B1G, the B1G would take them.

Jhriad

Okay, so you just quoted the section that would confirm exactly what I said. Subtract two votes from 44 and you have 42, the minimum required to boot Nebraska. The article also mentions Georgia Tech being added to the AAU not long before so "contraction" wasn't a real consideration for the review process.

And to get away from this tangent, if Oklahoma wants into the B1G, the B1G would take them.

Oklahoma, along with a few other Big 12 schools, approached the Big Ten about joining prior to the whole realignment process. At least according to a very recent article from the Omaha World Herald.

Draxal

Okay, so you just quoted the section that would confirm exactly what I said. Subtract two votes from 44 and you have 42, the minimum required to boot Nebraska. The article also mentions Georgia Tech being added to the AAU not long before so "contraction" wasn't a real consideration for the review process.

Oklahoma, along with a few other Big 12 schools approached the Big Ten about joining prior to the whole realignment process. At least according to a very recent article from the Omaha World Herald.

Yeah, I should have edited out the source? comment once I found the source myself, Boston U was added afterwards as well, but there's been a strong desire to keep the AAU small and I don't think a school like Iowa State would have voted against Nebraska as their status is also kinda tenuous.

My point was that if you're a school like Nebraska/Oklahoma/FSU AAU status doesn't matter for the Big Ten, it more matters if you're a Maryland/Rutgers mid tier school, otherwise they wouldn't have invited a school like Nebraska that was clearly at risk of being booted.

Jhriad

I don't think a school like Iowa State would have voted against Nebraska as their status is also kinda tenuous.

Probably not but you still have TAMU, UT, KU, Mizzou, & Colorado voting against Nebraska. The administration at Kansas and Nebraska have been relatively friendly for a long time though so I have my doubts as to them voting for the ouster.

My point was that if you're a school like Nebraska/Oklahoma/FSU AAU status doesn't matter for the Big Ten, it more matters if you're a Maryland/Rutgers mid tier school, otherwise they wouldn't have invited a school like Nebraska that was clearly at risk of being booted

Totally agree with ya there. Grabbing Nebraska was about the national television sets that Nebraska pulls in. I'm not entirely familiar with the ratings that Oklahoma garners and I'm too lazy to go searching so I won't comment on that but I have a hard time believing that the Big Ten would consider adding OU without another border state (preferably one with additional media markets like Kansas, Missouri, or Texas). They're not a big enough draw on their own to make them worth inclusion because of their geographic isolation compared to the rest of the conference. Oklahoma City is a decently sized market and there might be an argument to be made that they would create inroads in Texas for BTN but I'd have to see some actual numbers to be convinced. OSU and OU splitting ways could potentially add some complication as well. I know that the proposition of splitting KSU and KU was brought up at one point and barring the Big 12 actually imploding those two are practically attached at the hip. Then again that recent article by the OWH did indicate that it was possible so who knows.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Because they've always wanted to be in the B1G. It's a better cultural fit according to them.

I honestly don't really care what happens as long as we stay in a P5 conference. I just hate the current Big 12. It's rinky-dink as fuck.
You have the One True Champion(TM) thing going for you at least.

Draxal

Probably not but you still have TAMU, UT, KU, Mizzou, & Colorado voting against Nebraska. The administration at Kansas and Nebraska have been relatively friendly for a long time though so I have my doubts as to them voting for the ouster.

Totally agree with ya there. Grabbing Nebraska was about the national television sets that Nebraska pulls in. I'm not entirely familiar with the ratings that Oklahoma garners and I'm too lazy to go searching so I won't comment on that but I have a hard time believing that the Big Ten would consider adding OU without another border state (preferably one with additional media markets like Kansas, Missouri, or Texas). They're not a big enough draw on their own to make them worth inclusion because of their geographic isolation compared to the rest of the conference. Oklahoma City is a decently sized market and there might be an argument to be made that they would create inroads in Texas for BTN but I'd have to see some actual numbers to be convinced. OSU and OU splitting ways could potentially add some complication as well. I know that the proposition of splitting KSU and KU was brought up at one point and barring the Big 12 actually imploding those two are practically attached at the hip. Then again that recent article by the OWH did indicate that it was possible so who knows.

Current rumor is Oklahoma and Kansas, I don't buy it for one second as you're going to have rep/senators from Oklahoma and Kansas bitching up a storm for KSU/OSU. I do think the two of them would be perfect and even the divisions out a bit (knocking Purdue into the East), and get Nebraska more excited about being in the Big Ten (imho your fanbase really needs Oklahoma in the division).

Current rumor is Oklahoma and Kansas, I don't buy it for one second as you're going to have rep/senators from Oklahoma and Kansas bitching up a storm for KSU/OSU. I do think the two of them would be perfect and even the divisions out a bit (knocking Purdue into the East), and get Nebraska more excited about being in the Big Ten (imho your fanbase really needs Oklahoma in the division).

If Oklahoma indeed moves conferences, it will be interesting to see if Texas and OU schedule an annual game. Seems obvious, but when Arky moved conferences, Texas only scheduled the occasional home and home. And when aggy asked for annual games after bolting we said "get fucked" or "ask again in 2018". OU is our last remaining rival we play annually, so I assume we'll use a non-conference game to play them but who knows...
rivalries are overrated anyways right?

Draxal

If Oklahoma indeed moves conferences, it will be interesting to see if Texas and OU schedule an annual game. Seems obvious, but when Arky moved conferences, Texas only scheduled the occasional home and home. And when aggy asked for annual games after bolting we said "get fucked" or "ask again in 2018". OU is our last remaining rival we play annually, so I assume we'll use a non-conference game to play them but who knows...
rivalries are overrated anyways right?

If this were to happen Texas would be in the Pac, (as well as 2 other schools would need soft landing spots), 5 schools will need to leave the Big 12 to stop the GOR from mattering.

They can end up in the BEAST/AAC AAC AAC like originally planned!

Jhriad

I'd be okay with that but at 32 I'm barely old enough to remember when the OU game was still annual and that was several years after OU had slid into the gutter. There was a short period during the first 2-3 years of the Bob Stoops era where it was possible that there would be a resurgence of interest in the rivalry and then Nebraska slumped and with them in the Big 12 South we didn't see them often enough for it to stick. The majority of Nebraska fans that are younger than say, 35, aren't old enough to remember when the rivalry was interesting or relevant so the interest among the fans is pretty minimal. I wouldn't complain about a better yearly opponent given how uninteresting the most of the Big Ten West is but I'd be much more interested in playing a yearly game against Kansas State, Colorado, or Mizzou. At least those are border states that had teams that were relevant during my lifetime. Hell, Missouri always put up a hell of a fight even if they lost practically every time. Colorado was pretty mediocre most of the time but they always put up a fight and given how unbelievably shitty their fanbase is it was always a satisfying win.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Texas-OU generates a ton of reliable revenue for both programs. Doubt it would go away.

I understand OU fan frustration. I would not want to write a big check for tix for that lame home schedule: Akron, Tulsa, W. Virginia, Tex. Tech, Iowa St., TCU. But I do not want them in the SEC West.

KingGondo

Banned
Texas-OU generates a ton of reliable revenue for both programs. Doubt it would go away.

I understand OU fan frustration. I would not want to write a big check for tix for that lame home schedule: Akron, Tulsa, W. Virginia, Tex. Tech, Iowa St., TCU. But I do not want them in the SEC West.
My favorite scenario still involves Mizzou bolting for the B1G, then OU, OSU and Texas joining the SEC West.

West: OSU, OU, Texas, Aggy, Arky, LSU, Ole Miss, MSU
East: Kentucky, Tennessee, Bama, Auburn, USCe, Georgia, Florida, Vandy

We'd have virtually no chance of winning the SEC but I'd be much more excited for that football schedule as opposed to playing Kansas, Iowa State, and West Virginia.

Draxal

My favorite scenario still involves Mizzou bolting for the B1G, then OU, OSU and Texas joining the SEC West.

West: OSU, OU, Texas, Aggy, Arky, LSU, Ole Miss, MSU
East: Kentucky, Tennessee, Bama, Auburn, USCe, Georgia, Florida, Vandy

We'd have virtually no chance of winning the SEC but I'd be much more excited for that football schedule as opposed to playing Kansas, Iowa State, and West Virginia.

You know you're just setting yourself up for this.

KingGondo

Banned
You know you're just setting yourself up for this.
We deserve all the shit we got for losing to Iowa State.

I say this seriously: if those same teams played 100 times, OSU would win at least 97. We played like dogshit and still should have won.

BertramCooper said:
Yeah, I highly doubt that.

Just because Nebraska is no longer in the AAU doesn't mean that the B1G isn't still going to require it for any future members.
The B1G should just take Kansas and Missouri.

Draxal

SEC still has a higher payout than the B1G, right?

If that's the case I see no reason why Mizzou would want to leave.

I know they badly wanted in the B1G, but I would imagine they're pretty content at the moment.

Mizzou will leave if they're gently pushed out the door with a soft landing, Big Ten's payout will be gigantic after 2016 (when they get the new Tier 1 deal out of ESPN ---- hence Espn cutting down costs now), but Mizzour won't reach full shares till 2025 or something like that. Maryland and Rutgers won't be fully vested member of the Big Ten until 2022.

Yeah, I highly doubt that.

Just because Nebraska is no longer in the AAU doesn't mean that the B1G isn't still going to require it for any future members.

They're some schools that aren't AAU that Big Ten would waive the qualifications for, ND is a certainty, and Oklahoma would count as well, imho. I mean I we have no Oklahoma fans in CFB gaf posting atm, but Oklahoma's is an incredibly important football program.

SEC still has a higher payout than the B1G, right?

If that's the case I see no reason why Mizzou would want to leave.

I know they badly wanted in the B1G, but I would imagine they're pretty content at the moment.

B1G is saying next tv contract will put teams at 45-50 mil a year. But with realignment the news teams have to wait 3 years, so UNL will finally get their first full paycheck this year.

They're some schools that aren't AAU that Big Ten would waive the qualifications for, ND is a certainty, and Oklahoma would count as well, imho. I mean I we have no Oklahoma fans in CFB gaf posting atm, but Oklahoma's is an incredibly important football program.

OU is an historic CFB program, to be sure, but to think the B1G would put them on the same level as Notre Dame is pretty crazy.

Notre Dame, as repulsive as we all find them, resides smack dab in the B1G's current footprint and has a massive nationwide fanbase.

And no disrespect meant to OU, but Notre Dame's academic standards are beyond question, even without AAU membership. (There aren't a lot of religious universities in the AAU, so it's understandable that ND isn't in it.) The lack of AAU membership would not have been a barrier for Notre Dame, but it would absolutely be one for Oklahoma.

KingGondo

Banned
Not to mention that OU isn't even close to attaining AAU levels of academic achievement. It isn't like they're aiming to get in within the next few years.

Supposedly that's a big reason the proposed Pac-16 didn't happen. The Pac-12 presidents didn't want OU, OSU, or Tech.

ag-my001

Off-topic:

I just got a new S6 Active, and I saw there were some PSX emulators available from the Play store (ePSXe and FPse). Anyone have any reviews or experience with either of these on Android? Since moving in with the Mrs., I haven't been able to set up a gaming area (long story that involves three households worth of stuff in one house), so portable playing would be nice.

On-topic (sorta...):
Why the hell did we make this t-shirt?! It's worse than the Bama one.
tshirts_zpsny2jqwwr.jpg

mre

Credit? You want to give the person who designed this, presumably a Tennessee employee, credit for doing nothing more than sobering up enough to look around his (or her) office and seeing the multitude of Jack Daniel's bottles that he (or she) has used to literally drink away the last 10 years of their life?

They can get their credit at their nearest AA meeting by getting their 1 day chip.

Jhriad

Credit? You want to give the person who designed this, presumably a Tennessee employee, credit for doing nothing more than sobering up enough to look around his (or her) office and seeing the multitude of Jack Daniel's bottles that he (or she) has used to literally drink away the last 10 years of their life?

They can get their credit at their nearest AA meeting by getting their 1 day chip.

To be fair, their football team hasn't been worth being proud of as a state for a long time so they wanted to highlight something else their state is known for. Using this logic I would like to propose that all of the 2016 Nebraska season tickets have a Kool Aid theme.

Lunar15

Tennessee fans associating their season with the whiskey they'll drink it off with sounds about right.

Where's my Lagavulin themed UF tickets?

andycapps

Come on, now. Y'all aren't even trying now.

True, you've got to give the link a title that will be enticing to you. Like "Slow-mo FSU athletes in preseason camp" or "Cutest animals/kids named after Bear Bryant" or "Top 10 Matlock moments".

mre

True, you've got to give the link a title that will be enticing to you. Like "Slow-mo FSU athletes in preseason camp" or "Cutest animals/kids named after Bear Bryant" or "Top 10 Matlock moments".
Meier is over there, friend ------>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom