• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxal

I thought existing contracts were still going to be honored?

I thought so too, but no fcs games as of 2016 ...

Brett McMurphy.
Jim Delany says in 2016, B1G will play 1 intersectional game vs. Power 5, 9 conferences games & 0 games vs. FCS

Brett McMurphy.
Jim Delany on potential of new TV deal: “I’m quite optimistic about our position in the marketplace"

Hmmm.

Patrick Engel
One more note on #B1G scheduling: 8 FCS-B1G games are scheduled for 2016. Delany said previous FCS game contracts will be honored

I really don't know what's going on here.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Brett McMurphy.
Jim Delany says in 2016, B1G will play 1 intersectional game vs. Power 5, 9 conferences games & 0 games vs. FCS

Patrick Engel
One more note on #B1G scheduling: 8 FCS-B1G games are scheduled for 2016. Delany said previous FCS game contracts will be honored
LOL

Speaking of FCS schools, Bama has signed a contract to play one to open its 2018 season.

LOL

Speaking of FCS schools, Bama has signed a contract to play one to open its 2018 season.

post-28035-youre-very-good-you-you-unders-HcoL.gif

Jhriad

LOL

So Bama is playing an ACC opponent in 2018 then?

EDIT: LOL. Got curious and decided to look up who it was. To be fair my brother just joined the team so they're bound to be getting better.

mre

Oooo so we'll go 7 years without bama playing an away OOC game
Untwist those panties, Urban. We don't got to do shit, and as long as we only drop one game to one of the other highly ranked teams in the SEC West, we still in the playoffs. That's the benefit of being in such a strong league that produces one true champion. Day in, day out. It's how we do.

As an aside, and in a move motivated by the B1G's leadership on the issue, the SEC has announced that it also will not play any FCS teams in 2016 other than those 14 games already scheduled.

mre

14 seems really low. Only one each?
I mean there are FCS teams and then there are FCS teams, if you know what I mean. The SEC is only committed to not playing FCS teams (other than those already scheduled), but FCS teams can still be scheduled.

mre

Got it, got it. And then there's always the Sun Belt to mine for "FBS" opponents.
That goes without saying. Until the B1G takes a stand against scheduling teams from conferences like the Sun Belt, it would simply put the SEC at a competitive disadvantage to unilaterally do so.

andycapps

Sark is right though. USC doesn't need 13 uniforms.
He is right, and Oregon can boast all they want, USC is 37-19-2 in the series. USC is one of the top programs ever and Oregon has been average at best for most of their history.

Can't believe I just defended USC.

mre

He is right, and Oregon can boast all they want, USC is 37-19-2 in the series. USC is one of the top programs ever and Oregon has been average at best for most of their history.

Can't believe I just defended USC.
Steve Spurrier 'preciates your interest in his football program.

mre

Well, at least Kansas will be able to make some good money for their athletic department while they're busying being everyone's punching bag.
Yes, but they're spending all that money just to feed Weiss, so...

Piggus

While you guys were having your little tearfest about our uniforms, I decided I needed a football fix, so I went to the Pacific Rim Bowl! Someone on Gaf made a thread about it a couple years ago. But basically it's a game played between my old high school (Ashland Grizzlies) and the Japan All Stars, which is made up of student athletes from the Kansai region of Japan. It's played every two years and alternates between country.

It's meant to be more than just a game and instead promotes friendship and an exchange of culture between the two countries. Before the game, the teams go off on various trips together, and the home team's families act as host families for the away teammates. And when it's time for the game, people cheer for both teams.

rQZgERe.jpg

Final score: Ashland 31, Japan 23.

Japan outplayed us for the most part but threw too many interceptions. They were about 5 yards from possibly tying the game but couldn't punch it in on 4th down with about 10 seconds left.

What's cool though is both teams are incredibly even now and the game was really good. There was a stretch in the series (goes which goes back to 1988) where we dominated and then they dominated, but not anymore. The game today was tied 17 - 17 going into the 4th quarter. The final score two years ago was Ashland 32, Japan 30.

But the best part was seeing the Japanese team get a huge ovation after the game from the crowd of about 4000.

cUXvYek.png

Now with that out of the way...

No matter how many postseason losses they pile up, that inferiority complex will never go away:

That's pretty rich coming from someone whose team can't even win the frickin' Cactus Bowl and has a much worse bowl record that we do over the last 10 years. It's funny how people dwell on the past when their team is playing like garbage. Let's see... Since 2009 we've been in the Rose Bowl three times and have won it twice (including setting a scoring record against the defending National Champions), won the Fiesta Bowl, won the Alamo bowl, and have had two National Championship appearances and a Heisman winner. Our record over the last five years is 60 - 8. Wanna know how many teams in the FBS have a better record than that? None.

But yeah, that "inferiority complex." I mean, Oregon's basketball team won the first ever NCAA National Championship like 80 years ago, and Washington has never won it. But who gives a shit? Programs change, and Oregon football is going through that.

Looking forward to extending our win streak against you guys to 12.

cdyhybrid

That's pretty rich coming from someone whose team can't even win the frickin' Cactus Bowl and has a much worse bowl record that we do over the last 10 years. It's funny how people dwell on the past when their team is playing like garbage. Let's see... Since 2009 we've been in the Rose Bowl three times and have won it twice (including setting a scoring record against the defending National Champions), won the Fiesta Bowl, won the Alamo bowl, and have had two National Championship appearances and a Heisman winner. Our record over the last five years is 60 - 8. Wanna know how many teams in the FBS have a better record than that? None.

But yeah, that "inferiority complex." I mean, Oregon's basketball team won the first ever NCAA National Championship like 80 years ago, and Washington has never won it. But who gives a shit? Programs change, and Oregon football is going through that.

Looking forward to extending our win streak against you guys to 12.

You seem upset.

cdyhybrid

More like amused at your goofy attempts to downplay Oregon's recent success. :)

I didn't say anything about your results on the field.

I was just saying that people associated with that program seem awfully quick to rush to its defense at the slightest hint of a comment directed towards it ;)

Wait, he's not? Edit: Damn, I forgot that Turner Gill is their coach.

Nah he was 2 or 3 coaches ago. Now they have a former highschool coach from the state of Texas which explains why his first recruiting class (2015) has 21 recruits from Texas highschools.

Sotha_Sil

While you guys were having your little tearfest about our uniforms, I decided I needed a football fix, so I went to the Pacific Rim Bowl! Someone on Gaf made a thread about it a couple years ago. But basically it's a game played between my old high school (Ashland Grizzlies) and the Japan All Stars, which is made up of student athletes from the Kansai region of Japan. It's played every two years and alternates between country.

It's meant to be more than just a game and instead promotes friendship and an exchange of culture between the two countries. Before the game, the teams go off on various trips together, and the home team's families act as host families for the away teammates. And when it's time for the game, people cheer for both teams.

That's actually a really cool story. My high school band in Florida did the same thing with a group of Japanese high school bands. I was lucky enough to go over once, it was a great experience.

It reminds me of Coca-Cola's defunct regular season "Mirage Bowl", hosted in Japan from 1977-1993. They actually managed to get some big-name programs to play games over there, I wish it still continued.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Whats going on CFB GAF? I saw that Duke picked up 6 votes in the preseason pole, so there's more coaches than just Spurrier pissing off the committee.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Huh. So that's either several pranksters, or the OBC by himself, but putting them higher than usual.

Its probably other ACC Coastal coaches that want their schedules to look better. I guarantee that Beamer is one of the votes.

Jhriad

Wait, he's not? Edit: Damn, I forgot that Turner Gill is their coach.

Turner Gill hasn't been the coach at Kansas since 2011. They fired him after two years. Obviously a two year turnaround was a reasonable expectation from KU and there was no racial motivation to the firing at all. I think he took some FCS team to the playoffs last year.

So the UT lawyers went after shaggybevo because bevo is their trademark, so that site is now shaggytexas. com

Patterson continues to punish the little guys. Didn't even give the site owner a $10 meal at the dining hall.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Is Turner Gil the one who had like 1-2 marginally ok seasons at Buffalo before he got called up to this power program?

he's the one that the KKK members at Auburn refused to hire, instead going with a nobody with a bad case of gum and tooth disease.

Draxal

So the UT lawyers went after shaggybevo because bevo is their trademark, so that site is now shaggytexas. com

Patterson continues to punish the little guys. Didn't even give the site owner a $10 meal at the dining hall.

I know they have to protect their ip ... but talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

he's the one that the KKK members at Auburn refused to hire, instead going with a nobody with a bad case of gum and tooth disease.

Oh I see. Was it Gene Chizik that was there during the Newton years, he's an ex UCF coach. He was passed over for O'Leary for the HC position.

I just realized that UCF has one conference loss in the past two years. They are 15-1. And that one loss came to fucking UCONN.

We are about 4 weeks from FBS football! When do the predictions start again?

mre

Oh I see. Was it Gene Chizik that was there during the Newton years, he's an ex UCF coach. He was passed over for O'Leary for the HC position.

I just realized that UCF has one conference loss in the past two years. They are 15-1. And that one loss came to fucking UCONN.

We are about 4 weeks from FBS football! When do the predictions start again?
Best rivalry in sports. Bar none.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom