• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how my Craig James thread morphed into two discussions: one a semantic argument over whether or not it was respectful to refer to five fictional dead women as "hookers," and the other a nurture vs. nature debate about homosexuality.

Draxal

I hope those aren't just an alternate. Those are sick as hell.

Well, Ohio State is in the East so that would make it the Leaders division but then Penn State is in the East as well so it should be the Liars as well... Maybe they're both the East and the West just has a blank space where it's name should be. It'd be appropriate given the media coverage of the respective divisions.

Media coverage of 2 (maybe 3 teams) in the East. It's all about Ohio State and Michigan, and Michigan is all about how weird Jim Harbaugh is.

Jhriad

Media coverage of 2 (maybe 3 teams) in the East. It's all about Ohio State and Michigan, and Michigan is all about how weird Jim Harbaugh is.

To be fair Michigan State has gotten a decent amount of coverage as well. Outside of those three though the rest of that division (and the rest of the conference tbh) hasn't gotten a lot of coverage. It's a little amusing to see Penn State & James Franklin go from media darlings last year to basically being ignored in favor of Jim Harbaugh and Ohio State. Fall camp can't start soon enough. I need more substantive CFB talk damnit.

Draxal

http://www.connect-bridgeport.com/c...ance-and-Failure-to-Renew-Backyard-Brawl17619

Luck Sr on WVU joining the Big 12.

ACC was never an option due to WVU breaking up the Southern Conference back in the day and the grudges over that.
SEC was almost an option as Mizzou sat on the SEC invite for 8 months and WVU might have taken that spot.
BIG wasn't an option, because WVU isn't that strong of an academic school and it's sports profile didn't make up for it.

Edit.

Man I really miss college realignment, Nebraska and aggies leaving was huge.

http://www.connect-bridgeport.com/c...ance-and-Failure-to-Renew-Backyard-Brawl17619

ACC was never an option due to WVU breaking up the Southern Conference back in the day and the grudges over that.
SEC was almost an option as Mizzou sat on the SEC invite for 8 months and WVU might have taken that spot.
BIG wasn't an option, because WVU isn't that strong of an academic school and it's sports profile didn't make up for it.

Edit.

The ACC folks will also tell you they didn't want WVU in their conference for academic reasons. But of course they did eventually pick up Louisville to replace Maryland. Louisville is the only ACC school ranked outside the 2014 US News Top 100, at #161 (FSU and NC State are the next lowest tied at #95).

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I love how my Craig James thread morphed into two discussions: one a semantic argument over whether or not it was respectful to refer to five fictional dead women as "hookers," and the other a nurture vs. nature debate about homosexuality.

6dy5R2x.gif

Edit.

I bet Cincy would have gotten a Big 12 invite over West Virginia if they actually had a decent football stadium.

Draxal

I'm rooting for Uconn to ruin UCF's otherwise perfect season just because I want to see Diaco's presser afterwards.

I bet Cincy would have gotten a Big 12 invite over West Virginia if they actually had a decent football stadium.

Honestly, b12 should have taken Cinci, Ville, and WVU, WVU by itself is just horrible for WVU, they're on such an island.

I'm rooting for Uconn to ruin UCF's otherwise perfect season just because I want to see Diaco's presser afterwards.

Here is the story with quotes: http://www.theuconnblog.com/2015/8/...-doesnt-care-what-you-call-the-civil-conflict

Diaco doesn't care about any of the negative press, the criticism over the name, the opponent or the previous scores going on the trophy. That doesn't matter to him.

"I'll peel every plaque off the thing. I do not care," Diaco said. "You want me to take the score from a year ago? Done. You want to add the score from 2013? Done. I don't really care. You want to change the name because the first part of it is an implication from a few hundred years ago? Fine. I thought about all of it. We'll call it 'The Conflict.' We can capitalize the "fl" and capitalize the "ct." The semantics of it, I'm good on it. Whatever is least offensive to everyone involved. Whoever's the most offended, you make it. I'm fine with that.

"It's about our team, and our locker room and the energy coming from that group."
"Coach O'Leary runs a football program the way I would like to someday run a football program," Diaco said. "He's created one of the best football programs in America, in any conference. So we're in that half. So who better?"

Do you really want to support that, Draxal!?

Funny thing there has been talk since last year that UCF would have contended for the Access Bowl slot if not for the UConn loss. I guess it's plausible as we would have ended the regular season on a 10 game winning streak. Not sure if that would have been enough to stay ahead of Boise and Marshall.

I'm looking forward to the first annual AAC championship game. Where's it being held? Either way, it will have better attendance than a classic ACC champ game

andycapps

Here is the story with quotes: http://www.theuconnblog.com/2015/8/...-doesnt-care-what-you-call-the-civil-conflict

Do you really want to support that, Draxal!?

Funny thing there has been talk since last year that UCF would have contended for the Access Bowl slot if not for the UConn loss. I guess it's plausible as we would have ended the regular season on a 10 game winning streak. Not sure if that would have been enough to stay ahead of Boise and Marshall.

"Coach O'Leary runs a football program the way I would like to someday run a football program," Diaco said. "He's created one of the best football programs in America, in any conference. So we're in that half. So who better?"

Hold the phone. One of the best football programs in America? This is a great example of a coach talking up an opponent. Vince Dooley used to fret about the long snapper and punter on the opposing team, then they'd blow said team out.

UConn does suck, so I guess when you're at the bottom, from your perspective every other team is a great program.

Hold the phone. One of the best football programs in America? This is a great example of a coach talking up an opponent. Vince Dooley used to fret about the long snapper and punter on the opposing team, then they'd blow said team out.

UConn does suck, so I guess when you're at the bottom, from your perspective every other team is a great program.

Well, UCF did manage to win the AAC and Big XII conference titles in 2013.

Can't explain that.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Big & Rich is the featured artist/album on Google Play this week

It's like Google KNOWS the season is soon.

PS: The line in the original CTYS

Well we broke down in Greeneville
In the middle of a hayfield
But a BudLight truck pulled up and helped us out

Always reminds me of the first time I ever drove, and wrecked into a farm fence. LoL

Lunar15

Can't wait to find out which song we'll have nightmares about due to constant use in every single promo ESPN runs this year.

RE MEMBUH MEEEEEE

FO CENTURIEEEEEES

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I'm back bitches. Let's Mike Riley this up. The fact that Nebraska stole Wisconsin's best 2015 recruit (and he's a RB with my first initial and last name) gets the blood going.

Also - I'm formally declaring my second team this year as USC. The girlfriend is a Trojan, and so the gettin' is good (yes, it sucked when USC beat us in the holiday bowl and I lost that bet with her).

Go Big Red! Fight On! Let's do this fall camp shizzle.

cdyhybrid

I'm back bitches. Let's Mike Riley this up. The fact that Nebraska stole Wisconsin's best 2015 recruit (and he's a RB with my first initial and last name) gets the blood going.

Also - I'm formally declaring my second team this year as USC. The girlfriend is a Trojan, and so the gettin' is good (yes, it sucked when USC beat us in the holiday bowl and I lost that bet with her).

Welcome back!

How do you feel about Mike Riley?

Draxal

Nebraska fired Pelini (rumored that while Pelini was all right him self, some of his assistant coaches ... were disasters, and well he was kinda insane on the side line).

Nebraska hired Riley from Oregon State (not the Ohio State, or Texas Te... Oklahoma State).

Oregon State hired Anderson from Wisconsin (Anderson was really grumpy about admissions denying him players ... the player that Nebraska got from Wisconsin was denied by Wisconsin admissions and he was upset about assistant pay as well).

Wisconsin hired Chryst from Pitt.

Pitt hired Narduzzi (DC) from MSU.

I'm an old man now. I get confused really easily.

I got your back.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Welcome back!

How do you feel about Mike Riley?

Love him. He's undefeated.

He reminds me of Tom Osborne a lot, but actually even more personable.

He hasn't done as much with less as say, a Bill Snyder, but Bill Snyder also didn't have Oregon as his in-state competition.

The staff he brought is experienced and quite professional. The recruiting organization and effort is vastly improved. The coaching seems to be vastly improved too. We went from having coaches who were previously GAs or golf-instructors to having guys that were NFL DCs, or NFL assistants, and have decades of experience.

I think player management will be better too, no more favoritism and weirdness.

Pelini ran a shoddy organization. Our talent has fallen off since he arrived. Riley's first class being Top 30 despite transition is great, and I like this next one a lot.

The real question is, if Riley has all the bells and whistles, can he actually win championships. I think everyone is rooting for him to do it, and he seems energized and excited to give it a shot. It'd be a hell of a story.

Gonna be hard to judge him on this year though, Armstrong isn't the best, Abdullah is gone, the OL should improve thanks to the lack of nepotism on it this year (Pelini's nephew and our TE coach's son were both starting and both awful, the backup line bulldozed people when in). WR looks ok, and TE should be better.

Defense was a total mess under Pelini (this is what helped get him fired). We may start two true freshman at LB this year. Some nice young talent there. The DL doesn't have Randy Gregory but might be just as good. DB looks pretty solid esp on the corners, and I have confidence in safety.

Pierson-El makes our return units some of the most dangerous in the country, and should feast on the fly sweep that Riley likes to run.

This season comes down to a few things for Nebraska:

1. How well Riley/Langsdorf adapt their offense to the pieces Nebraska has, and how well Armstrong comes on.
2. How much the Oline improves and in combination with our new RBs if they can be productive.
3. Linebacker, and if that spot can be productive, if not, the defense will have a rough year.

Our schedule doesn't do us favors. BYU in the opener (testing our opener winning streak and @Miami a few weeks later. If Nebraska can get through those two in the non-conference, the next big bump is Wisconsin and it's in Lincoln. Minnesota is a little scary, but I think if we're 5-0 going into Wisconsin, we'll be in good shape.

I could see 7-5/8-4... I could see 10-2. Either way I won't read into Riley's record too much until Year 3 or so

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Nebraska fired Pelini (rumored that while Pelini was all right him self, some of his assistant coaches ... were disasters, and well he was kinda insane on the side line).

Nebraska hired Riley from Oregon State (not the Ohio State, or Texas Te... Oklahoma State).

Oregon State hired Anderson from Wisconsin (Anderson was really grumpy about admissions denying him players ... the player that Nebraska got from Wisconsin was denied by Wisconsin admissions and he was upset about assistant pay as well).

Wisconsin hired Chryst from Pitt.

Pitt hired Narduzzi (DC) from MSU.

I got your back.

Pelini had lots of nepotism and favoritism in his organization. He's a good coach, but inexperienced at being a leader at that level.

The best part about hiring Riley was it started dominos that took out Wisconsin's coach and MSU's defensive coordinator. Just stellar work by Eichorst there.

Alvarez sounds like a pain in the ass to work for.

cdyhybrid

I do think Riley was very underappreciated. It was probably time for him to move on though.

It's not just that he had to compete against Oregon, but that he had to compete against basically everyone in the conference for California players. OSU and WSU are by far the hardest places to recruit to in the conference.

Draxal

Biggest thing against Riley is he OLD.

Pelini had lots of nepotism and favoritism in his organization. He's a good coach, but inexperienced at being a leader at that level.

The best part about hiring Riley was it started dominos that took out Wisconsin's coach and MSU's defensive coordinator. Just stellar work by Eichorst there.

Alvarez sounds like a pain in the ass to work for.

Would you like it if Okie and Kansas were to join the Big Ten west kicking Purdue to the East? I mentioned to our other Husker fan here, and he wasn't thrilled at renewing that rivalry as I thought your fanbase would be.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Biggest thing against Riley is he OLD.

Would you like it if Okie and Kansas were to join the Big Ten west kicking Purdue to the East? I mentioned to our other Husker fan here, and he wasn't thrilled at renewing that rivalry as I thought your fanbase would be.

Oklahoma can rot in the Big XII for siding with Texas all those times....

Just kidding. I don't see it happening as I don't think KU has that much value and OU'sacademics are a challenge. I think OU/KU/UT/ND to the ACC is more likely.

Or OU + ??? To the SEC.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Meh, Saban is older :p Riley does *seem* older though.

Riley's baldness is the main issue there. He looks younger in a ball cap and/or at the media day with a shaved head.

I think his skinny build plays into it a bit too.

He's super healthy be energetic.

The real question is what can he do with all the resources to win at the college level. Everyone is about to find out

cdyhybrid

Riley's baldness is the main issue there. He looks younger in a ball cap and/or at the media day with a shaved head.

I think his skinny build plays into it a bit too.

He's super healthy be energetic.

The real question is what can he do with all the resources to win at the college level. Everyone is about to find out

I think it's because Riley is generally pretty calm on the sidelines, whereas Saban is all fire and brimstone on any play that isn't executed perfectly.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
hey possible ebola patient at UAB, at least until Ray Watts shuts it down for a year.
If he'd shut down the medical school instead of the football team, there wouldn't be an Ebola patient at UAB. Thanks, Obama Ray Watts.

andycapps

Welcome back!

UGA had a big media thing on their site yesterday for the first day of practices with interviews with a bunch of players, coaches, AD, showing segments of practice, etc. Jeremy Pruitt actually voluntarily spoke to the media for the first time in 259 days. He's of the Saban mold in that he "doesn't have time for this shit." He's in a slightly less hateful mood than he was this time last year when he was "just trying to find 11 guys that can play defense." Lost some players to the NFL, but the 2 deep is going to be much more talented this season.

Media at practice said they'd be shocked if Brice Ramsey didn't win the starting job. He's got the best arm and looks like the best candidate. Faton Bauta is okay, but not as good, and they said Greyson Lambert looked awful and lost in the playbook. So Pollack and McElroy seem completely wrong when they predicted Lambert would start. Granted, one day of practice, but Ramsey was the guy last year when Mason went out with an injury and most expected him to be the guy until Eason shows up next year.

I love fall camp time! Beat writers get to tell us that everyone on the team is a chiseled adonis that runs a 4.3 40 and if practice is any indication, the team is going undefeated. Oh, what a time to be alive!

Jhriad

I'm back bitches.

Woo! It's about time. We need some backup with all these Buckeyes running amok around here.

Defense was a total mess under Pelini (this is what helped get him fired). We may start two true freshman at LB this year. Some nice young talent there. The DL doesn't have Randy Gregory but might be just as good. DB looks pretty solid esp on the corners, and I have confidence in safety.

Barring injuries, I'd be surprised to see us starting two freshmen at linebacker. Banderas and Rose-Ivey are almost certainly starters with a rotation of freshmen at the will backer spot. Of course, given the depth issues at linebacker and at defensive end we'll probably see a good number of freshmen in that front seven throughout the year. I'm a little concerned about our OL depth as well over the long haul. We've got a solid core of starters there but it's not real deep. Center could be a real concern if Reeves can't stay healthy, as has unfortunately been the case throughout his career. Here's hoping the new Strength & Conditioning staff has done good work over the summer to keep the guys healthy.

Hey now, I'm not the only other Husker here. FelixOrion posts frequently and there are several others. We've actually got a pretty good sized crew even though a lot of us are relatively quiet during the offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom