• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhriad

Sports Illustrated has released it's preseason top 25.

ND finally gets revenge on mre and is ranked above 'Bama.

ND & Auburn in the top 5? They're definitely grasping at any sort of temporary bump they can find if they're putting that in print. Notre Dame's schedule is mostly cream puffs with practically no real challenging away games so I wouldn't be shocked to see them with a decent record at the end of the season. They're not a better team than a number of others on the list though.

ND & Auburn in the top 5? They're definitely grasping at any sort of temporary bump they can find if they're putting that in print. Notre Dame's schedule is mostly cream puffs with practically no real challenging away games so I wouldn't be shocked to see them with a decent record at the end of the season. They're not a better team than a number of others on the list though.

If they can somehow beat us on the road in October, they'll probably go undefeated until they get curb stomped in the playoffs.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Every sport has boatloads of them.

The Mariners are going to the World Series this year guys!

Maybe it's me or where I live, but I never heard that. Just like I never hear that say the Browns have a real chance of the Super Bowl.

In CFB you will hear team that went 7-5 last year gonna win it all.

cdyhybrid

Biggest thing against Riley is he OLD.

Would you like it if Okie and Kansas were to join the Big Ten west kicking Purdue to the East? I mentioned to our other Husker fan here, and he wasn't thrilled at renewing that rivalry as I thought your fanbase would be.

He's two years younger than Pete Carroll and Nick Saban. He's 10 years older than Meyer and 20 some odd years older than Helfrich.

Maybe it's me or where I live, but I never heard that. Just like I never hear that say the Browns have a real chance of the Super Bowl.

In CFB you will hear team that went 7-5 last year gonna win it all.

That's because college football has a lot more year to year turnover than any of the professional sports. You're adjusting anywhere from 1/4 to 1/3 of your roster on a given year. Plus the variance in scheduling year to year and the lack of unified scheduling means a lot. I also think coaching changes matter more at the collegiate football level than they do in any pro sport.

Disney stock tanking cause of ESPN worries.

Ruh roh

ESPN is precious.

Jrr9sLt.jpg

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Hey now, I'm not the only other Husker here. FelixOrion posts frequently and there are several others. We've actually got a pretty good sized crew even though a lot of us are relatively quiet during the offseason.

Frequently might be a big of an overstatement ;) But yeah it's time baby. I work on campus next to Memorial and it's autograph day, so there are people everywhere right now (just about to start).

Jhriad

You take Lou Holtz and Mark May off the air and look what happens.

Wait... what? Tell me this is true.

Frequently might be a big of an overstatement ;) But yeah it's time baby. I work on campus next to Memorial and it's autograph day, so there are people everywhere right now (just about to start).

Compared to a lot of the fair weather fans we see for some teams you might as well be a daily poster. ;)

inm8num2

Do scum fans/media not realize State/Dantonio (Izzo too while I'm at it) feasts on shit like this?

They know, but they have to keep making everything about Jesus Harbaugh and keep scummers interested and clicking on those articles.

Earlier this year when asked if MSU still has a chip on its shoulder, Dantonio responded, ""Yeah, all you have to do is read the paper every now and then."

I give MD plenty of credit, though - he's always cool and patient with this garbage. My favorite moment is probably from his first season during the ND game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCduwd71plk

That's when I knew I loved this guy. :D

I give MD plenty of credit, though - he's always cool and patient with this garbage. My favorite moment is probably from his first season during the ND game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCduwd71plk

That's when I knew I loved this guy. :D

Forgot about that one, it was a shitty question and he handled it perfectly.

Dantonio doesn't necessarily have this massive chip on his shoulder, he's just concerned about his team and constantly asking him to frame that team through the lens of another and time again would become pretty fucking annoying after awhile.

JESUS CHRIST where the fuck is the ban button

You're not a fan of cosplaying goofballs wielding musical instruments? I don't know if they are the "best" band in a traditional sense, but they are the only band I can watch at a football game that can make me smile, and that has to be worth something.

guy.jpg

c'mon cyan, if you weren't a fan you wouldn't be photobombing in this pic

Limedust

Stanford band versus OSU band at halftime of the next NCG, regardless of the actual teams playing. Just set 'em loose at opposite ends of the field and let nature decide.

Vanillalite

What I don't get is the excuse that they had to move Rese to run Gameday cause Chris was to busy doing the Saturday night primetime game.

If that were the case then why the fuck is Kirk still on the show when he has the same duties?

Seems like Rese's contract was up, and other networks wanted him. So with Lou retiring, they could just ditch the not loved Mark May, and then move Rese to Gameday while keeping Chris on the main game. Supposedly in effort to appease Fowler they offered him either Gameday or the PT Game knowing he'd take the game and leave the Gameday spot for Rese.

Despite all of this I'm not sure I like the Finale replacements. Joey Galloway does jack shit to move the meter for me. I like Captain Virk, but he never seemed like prime time material. He always seemed like the perfect ESPNU host. Plus Danny is a polarizing figure.

I think part of my problem is ESPN hasn't exactly cultivated new young CFB TV talent while losing older people they had for various reasons like Mark & Lou or Craig James (not that I like any of these guys).

I'm kinda surprised ESPN hasn't attracted more high profile talent seeing as they are the TV leader in the CFB space.

Rece Davis is one of the best dudes on ESPN, so im excited hes getting a bigger role now. Although im going to be bummed about gameday final. I kinda like sitting on the couch wrapping up a saturday listening to Rece and then having Mark and Lou yell back and forth at each other.

andycapps

What I don't get is the excuse that they had to move Rese to run Gameday cause Chris was to busy doing the Saturday night primetime game.

If that were the case then why the fuck is Kirk still on the show when he has the same duties?

Seems like Rese's contract was up, and other networks wanted him. So with Lou retiring, they could just ditch the not loved Mark May, and then move Rese to Gameday while keeping Chris on the main game. Supposedly in effort to appease Fowler they offered him either Gameday or the PT Game knowing he'd take the game and leave the Gameday spot for Rese.

Despite all of this I'm not sure I like the Finale replacements. Joey Galloway does jack shit to move the meter for me. I like Captain Virk, but he never seemed like prime time material. He always seemed like the perfect ESPNU host. Plus Danny is a polarizing figure.

I think part of my problem is ESPN hasn't exactly cultivated new young CFB TV talent while losing older people they had for various reasons like Mark & Lou or Craig James (not that I like any of these guys).

I'm kinda surprised ESPN hasn't attracted more high profile talent seeing as they are the TV leader in the CFB space.

I took it to mean that Chris Fowler was the new Brent Musburger. It's a promotion for him, not a demotion. And they seem to be grooming Rece Davis to be the next Chris Fowler. Both are good decisions by ESPN, IMO.

Vanillalite

I took it to mean that Chris Fowler was the new Brent Musburger. It's a promotion for him, not a demotion. And they seem to be grooming Rece Davis to be the next Chris Fowler. Both are good decisions by ESPN, IMO.

Fowler already had that position though. He can't be promoted to something he was already doing last year. They just seemed to not want to have him spread to thin since Gameday wasn't always at the same site as the primetime game.

That all makes sense, but Kirk has the same duties. LoL

Their band is total trash. Stanford is probably the best band in the Pac 12 and maybe even all of CFB.
The band is half the reason I'm contemplating going to the UCF-Stanford game this year.

Although I think they're under sanctions right now and have a travel ban. So they won't be at away games this year. Title IX violations. Drugs, sexual harassment, hazing, etc. Usual band stuff.

http://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/...land-stanford-junior-university-marching-band

ag-my001

Think about their standard operating procedures for their "analysis" shows: high profile, nationally recognized talent. For CFB, those people are going to the NFL. Tebow is the only hire that fits their mold, and that's because they kept him relavent. Ballooning coaching salaries justify staying in the game longer for them. The talent pool just isn't that deep.

Pellini/Chizik Final Verdict

KingGondo

Banned
Their band is total trash. Stanford is probably the best band in the Pac 12 and maybe even all of CFB.
Most unique? Yes.

Best? I have a hard time believing this.

It's honestly hard to compare what they do to what a traditional college marching band does.

Jhriad

Rece Davis is one of the best dudes on ESPN, so im excited hes getting a bigger role now. Although im going to be bummed about gameday final. I kinda like sitting on the couch wrapping up a saturday listening to Rece and then having Mark and Lou yell back and forth at each other.

I haven't watched any ESPN college football programming other than Gameday in years because I wasn't interested in listening to Mark May sit there with that shit eating grin as he trolls everyone. Good riddance.

Vanillalite

I haven't watched any ESPN college football programming other than Gameday in years because I wasn't interested in listening to Mark May sit there with that shit eating grin as he trolls everyone. Good riddance.

While I don't disagree on the May front I'm not exactly sold their replacements are any better.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Y'all are going "Mississippi State, really?" and I'm going "Auburn, really?" I guess they're putting all of their chips in the "Muschamp's going to give Auburn a great defense basket," but he's going to arguably have less talent than he had at UF. I just don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom