• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

Fowler already had that position though. He can't be promoted to something he was already doing last year. They just seemed to not want to have him spread to thin since Gameday wasn't always at the same site as the primetime game.

That all makes sense, but Kirk has the same duties. LoL

I'm guessing he got tired of being up so early for Gameday and all the prep that goes into that along with prepping for the game he was doing in primetime that night, across the country sometimes. It is funny that Kirk still has to do that, but I don't think anybody looks at Kirk as the leader of that Gameday crew.

mre said:
Y'all are going "Mississippi State, really?" and I'm going "Auburn, really?" I guess they're putting all of their chips in the "Muschamp's going to give Auburn a great defense basket," but he's going to arguably have less talent than he had at UF. I just don't get it.

Well both of the picks are surprising. Mississsipppi State being picked to be so great is surprising, but I agree that Auburn is the bigger surprise. They think that Auburn will go from 8-5 to winning the SEC while breaking in a new QB and new defensive scheme. The media loves them some Malzahn and Muschamp (at least as a defensive guy), so that's why they're getting so much love.

Auburn does have some good talent on defense, but they also have some big question marks and the transition to a new system could be confusing for veterans.

Y'all are going "Mississippi State, really?" and I'm going "Auburn, really?" I guess they're putting all of their chips in the "Muschamp's going to give Auburn a great defense basket," but he's going to arguably have less talent than he had at UF. I just don't get it.

Oh trust me, I'm also mystified by the Auburn love.

In fact I'm shocked that Mispsppssisi State got the SI cover instead of them.

Can Duke get an SI cover? I mean, come on.

mre singing Rocky Top while watching Notre Dame play Army said:
fnuIrSE.jpg

That works.

You're not a fan of cosplaying goofballs wielding musical instruments? I don't know if they are the "best" band in a traditional sense, but they are the only band I can watch at a football game that can make me smile, and that has to be worth something.

guy.jpg

c'mon cyan, if you weren't a fan you wouldn't be photobombing in this pic

The Stanford "band" is a disgrace to humanity. You don't even have to play an actual instrument to be in it and their half time shows are not funny.

In other news SBNations' Wazzu blog ranked the Pac 12 uniforms from worst to first:

http://www.cougcenter.com/2015/8/3/8703751/ranking-the-pac-12-football-uniforms

12. Oregon St
11. Arizona
10. Utah
9. UCLA
8. UW
7. Colorado
6. Stanford
5. ASU
4. WSU
3. Cal
2. Oregon
1. USC

Gotta say I disagree heavily, I know its a Cougar blog but I think UW is too low, their classic combos are probably one of the most iconic looks in West Coast football (behind only USC in my book). ASU is way too high, they've never had good uniforms ever. Maybe this is all just based on the modern uniforms, a lot of the Pac 12 teams have really nice classic looks, Oregon included.

Stanford band versus OSU band at halftime of the next NCG, regardless of the actual teams playing. Just set 'em loose at opposite ends of the field and let nature decide.

A boring HS band vs the worst abomination known to mankind. Can we root for no one?

cdyhybrid

ASU's black unis are decent. Definitely agree that USC should be #1 and UW is too low. Especially with our gold chrome helmets.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2015/08/espns-college-football-announce-teams-locked-2015/

College football booth teams have been determined for the 2015 season and are highlighted by new pairings for ESPN’s Thursday and Friday night games. Joe Tessitore, host of SEC Network’s pregame show SEC Nation and new host of College Football Final Presented by AT&T – both on Saturday – will move into the Thursday night play-by-play slot previously held by Rece Davis who will take on hosting duties for College GameDay Built by The Home Depot. Tessitore will work alongside Jesse Palmer and David Pollack with sideline reporter Kaylee Hartung. In addition, second-year analyst Mack Brown will join Dave Flemming and Allison Williams for the Friday night game while retaining his Saturday ABC studio role.

Chris Fowler and Kirk Herbstreit with reporter Heather Cox will return to call ABC’s Saturday Night Football presented by Wells Fargo as will Brad Nessler, Todd Blackledge and Holly Rowe for ESPN College Football Primetime presented by Hampton Hotels. Both teams will call a College Football Playoff National Semifinal on New Year’s Eve with Fowler, Herbstreit and Cox then calling the championship game on January 11, 2016.

A complete opening weekend schedule for ABC and ESPN networks will be announced soon.

Click the link to see every game slot's paring, and que the bitching about who's working who or if you hate who's gonna be doing some of your team's games.

Any cord-cutters in this thread that can share their experiences? I'm moving at the end of the month and don't want to make my new roommate get cable so I can watch Iowa/Purdue.

cdyhybrid

Any cord-cutters in this thread that can share their experiences? I'm moving at the end of the month and don't want to make my new roommate get cable so I can watch Iowa/Purdue.

Will there be any sports bars near you? If it's a decent set up they should have most games on at some point.

Live sports is about the only reason I keep DirecTV. Especially college football season since no one has a package like MLB.tv for CFB.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Good news: Bo Scarbrough is already healthy enough to practice with the RBs after tearing his ACL this spring.

Bad news: He's suspended for the first four games due to an NCAA violation.

Good news x 2: He probably wouldn't have played anyway due to his rehab, so fuck the NCAA.

Jhriad

It varies with a few factors. Do you have good options for local sports bars or other venues like Buffalo Wild Wings where you could watch the game? Is support for your team large enough locally that your game will be the one with audio/on the big screen? Or do you have friends that cheer for the same team that have cable? If you answered yes to the first two or the last one you're probably good. If you only answered yes to the first one be prepared to watch your game on a small tv from a distance and, depending on whether your venue supports headphones, probably without audio. It's not the best but if it's your only option it's better than nothing.

I will say that having someone's login info for BTN 2 Go is pretty nice if the games are televised on there. Being able to watch games after they've aired on there is pretty nice as well for those times when you don't have a DVR to record the game and you're unable to watch it.

Draxal

You don't know how much it meant to me that you didn't mention Maryland/Rutgers instead.

andycapps

Good news: Bo Scarbrough is already healthy enough to practice with the RBs after tearing his ACL this spring.

Bad news: He's suspended for the first four games due to an NCAA violation.

Good news x 2: He probably wouldn't have played anyway due to his rehab, so fuck the NCAA.
I love that Saban just didn't say why and blames that on his comments in the past essentially being taken out of context. Hopefully the media digs up why. God knows that excuse wouldn't work for Richt and he never tried it with Gurley.

I'm assuming impermissible benefits, signed merch, or something.

Will there be any sports bars near you? If it's a decent set up they should have most games on at some point.

A feature of my new place is a decent amount of bars within walking distance, including a couple sports bars. Unfortunately the Buffalo Wild Wings packed up shop and moved 5 miles down the road, so that's now a short drive. Thankfully, Metro Detroit has hundreds of sports bars, just concerned about the size of my bar tab after a few weeks.

For what it's worth, if you want to convert to being a SEC fan, you can pretty much be covered by Sling TV for $25 / month: https://www.sling.com/package

This looks like a good Plan B, thanks.

It varies with a few factors. Do you have good options for local sports bars or other venues like Buffalo Wild Wings where you could watch the game? Is support for your team large enough locally that your game will be the one with audio/on the big screen? Or do you have friends that cheer for the same team that have cable? If you answered yes to the first two or the last one you're probably good. If you only answered yes to the first one be prepared to watch your game on a small tv from a distance and, depending on whether your venue supports headphones, probably without audio. It's not the best but if it's your only option it's better than nothing.

I will say that having someone's login info for BTN 2 Go is pretty nice if the games are televised on there. Being able to watch games after they've aired on there is pretty nice as well for those times when you don't have a DVR to record the game and you're unable to watch it.

Yeah, I can probably get by between bars, friends, and the 7 home games that'll eat up the better part of 7 football Saturdays. It's just those occasional hungover saturdays where I want to lay around in my underwear and flip between 4 games that I'll miss.

Completely forgot about BTN 2 Go. I think my mom's tv provider is supported, I'll make a point get her login info. Thanks!

You don't know how much it meant to me that you didn't mention Maryland/Rutgers instead.

I actually had Indiana/Rutgers at first but swapped it before posting out of deference to you, haha.

mre

I love that Saban just didn't say why and blames that on his comments in the past essentially being taken out of context. Hopefully the media digs up why. God knows that excuse wouldn't work for Richt and he never tried it with Gurley.

I'm assuming impermissible benefits, signed merch, or something.
He said it had to do with his eligibility to participate as an amateur athlete. Not sure what more you want him to say?

andycapps

Why are the particulars anybody's business? He announced the violations concerned Bo's status as an amateur athlete. Why do you need to know more than that?
Why does anybody ever tell the media why the NCAA suspends one of their athletes?

mre

Why does anybody ever tell the media why the NCAA suspends one of their athletes?
Oh, so every suspension of every athlete gets explained by the coach? Richt has never suspended a player for unarticulated violations of team rules?

andycapps

Oh, so every suspension of every athlete gets explained by the coach? Richt has never suspended a player for unarticulated violations of team rules?

This isn't a team rules violation, and those are typically spoken of by Richt. Or, it's very obvious due to the suspension levied what occurred.

How is no one in the media talking about lsu reinstating a player with felony domestic abuse case pending?
That's a very valid point. I forgot to bring this up earlier. Hey, there's no league rule that you can't unsuspend a player yourself that was arrested for a major offense, just that you can't take one from another conference school that was arrested for a major offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom