• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
This isn't a team rules violation, and those are typically spoken of by Richt. Or, it's very obvious due to the suspension levied what occurred.
And Saban said this concerned his amateur status, so it's obvious he received an impermissible benefit. It's been reported to the NCAA, and since the particulars aren't known yet, it's a safe bet the violations were self-reported. So, why do you need to know how much and from whom?

Apparently a Texas player stole some shit from Wal-Mart yesterday, which is in violation of one of Strong's core values. However, he surprisingly hasn't been released from the team yet. I'm not a $9.95er so I don't know the details. Fortunately fall practice starts tomorrow so hopefully the players will stay out of trouble from here on out.

andycapps

And Saban said this concerned his amateur status, so it's obvious he received an impermissible benefit. It's been reported to the NCAA, and since the particulars aren't known yet, it's a safe bet the violations were self-reported. So, why do you need to know how much and from whom?

Better to control the message now than let it leak out later, for one. As far as why, how will EDSBS know how to update the Fulmer Cup standings for Bama? Anyway, I'm sure it'll come out.

"they are counting on a kid transferring from Fordham, & he looks like he played at Fordham"

- @pat_dooley on UF O-line with @CubeShow

Go Gata

mre

Better to control the message now than let it leak out later, for one. As far as why, how will EDSBS know how to update the Fulmer Cup standings for Bama? Anyway, I'm sure it'll come out.
And Richt does this? I must have missed that press conference where Richt spelled out exactly what Harvey-Clemons* did to earn a suspension that carried on over from the 2012 bowl game and into the first three games of 2013?

If it's inevitable that the story is going to leak out anyway (as was the case with Gurley, as was the case with Clinton-Dix, etc.), then, sure, go ahead and get in front of it. If it's not likely to leak, then why on earth would you leak any details?

Your Fulmer Cup explanation doesn't make any sense. (1) It's dead. (2) It only tracks criminal violations.

*First player's suspension I found from Googling.

andycapps

And Richt does this? I must have missed that press conference where Richt spelled out exactly what Harvey-Clemons* did to earn a suspension that carried on over from the 2012 bowl game and into the first three games of 2013?

If it's inevitable that the story is going to leak out anyway (as was the case with Gurley, as was the case with Clinton-Dix, etc.), then, sure, go ahead and get in front of it. If it's not likely to leak, then why on earth would you leak any details?

Your Fulmer Cup explanation doesn't make any sense. (1) It's dead. (2) It only tracks criminal violations.

*First player's suspension I found from Googling.

That's a team rules violation. At almost any other school he wouldn't have missed any playing time for smoking pot in his dorm room. at UGA the first offense is a one game suspension. What Scarborough got was an NCAA violation, that's the only reason I'm surprised that the school isn't saying what violation he committed.

mre

That's a team rules violation. At almost any other school he wouldn't have missed any playing time for smoking pot in his dorm room. at UGA the first offense is a one game suspension. What Scarborough got was an NCAA violation, that's the only reason I'm surprised that the school isn't saying what violation he committed.
And I don't see the distinction. Plus your straw man "UGA is so tough" argument is irrelevant. Harven-Clemons was suspended twice, first for one game and then for four games, but good guy Richt never disclosed the basis for either suspension. Sure, you can infer what it was based upon the lengths of the suspension, but if that's the case, why not just come out and say it?

Either way, these things are usually not disclosed by the school by citing to the student's privacy concerns. The only way coaches ever comment on it is if they feel that the information has been leaked and that disclosure is imminent. Saban certainly isn't perfect, but I find it amusing that you want to criticize him for doing the exact same thing every other coach, including your own sainted coach, does.

andycapps

And I don't see the distinction. Plus your straw man "UGA is so tough" argument is irrelevant. Harven-Clemons was suspended twice, first for one game and then for four games, but good guy Richt never disclosed the basis for either suspension. Sure, you can infer what it was based upon the lengths of the suspension, but if that's the case, why not just come out and say it?

Either way, these things are usually not disclosed by the school by citing to the student's privacy concerns. The only way coaches ever comment on it is if they feel that the information has been leaked and that disclosure is imminent. Saban certainly isn't perfect, but I find it amusing that you want to criticize him for doing the exact same thing every other coach, including your own sainted coach, does.

Let's just agree to disagree. For the record, I don't think Richt is a saint, but I do think certain compliance programs and athletic directors push coaches to be more open or less open depending on the cultures in their athletic department. My opinion on Richt is fairly complicated.

mre

Let's just agree to disagree. For the record, I don't think Richt is a saint, but I do think certain compliance programs and athletic directors push coaches to be more open or less open depending on the cultures in their athletic department. My opinion on Richt is fairly complicated.
But how has Richt been any more open than Saban when discussing player suspensions?

andycapps

But how has Richt been any more open than Saban when discussing player suspensions?

Can't really give you any examples. The Gurley stuff was known in the media due to the asshat who paid him trying to sell his story. The AJ Green stuff was also known and there really wasn't much for Richt to say. In both cases, UGA compliance/AD filed petitions with NCAA to have sentences reduced, but when both were denied, Richt just has to play with what he has at that point. Situations aren't really comparable.

mre

Can't really give you any examples. The Gurley stuff was known in the media due to the asshat who paid him trying to sell his story. The AJ Green stuff was also known and there really wasn't much for Richt to say. In both cases, UGA compliance/AD filed petitions with NCAA to have sentences reduced, but when both were denied, Richt just has to play with what he has at that point. Situations aren't really comparable.
So you're saying that Richt and UGA publicly discuss cases where the information was going to be made public anyway?

Saban and Bama have similarly been upfront in cases where the information was inevitably going to be made public. Clinton-Dix. Marcel Dareus. All were discussed because it was obvious that the information was going to come out.

andycapps

Minnesota's AD has resigned (aka fired) after sending sexual drunk texts to female employees

Looks a little like George Bluth.

iDYwoVs.jpg

Yeah, not too funny. There were some good ones in there.

"Hold my gun while I snort this" was spot on, at least.

The Texas A&M one is the worst by far IMO.

Any cord-cutters in this thread that can share their experiences?

Existing streaming options nowadays are great. The only way you get boned is if you want a decent selection of G5 conference games, since those often are on CBSSN and they don't have any streaming options whatsoever.

watch Iowa/Purdue.

beamer0-0.jpg. It suppose it can't be more painful to watch than Michigan-Northwestern last year. (god the vines here from that game are amazing: http://www.insidenu.com/2014/11/8/7178853/embracing-the-suck-of-northwestern-michigan )

Draxal

I actually had Indiana/Rutgers at first but swapped it before posting out of deference to you, haha.

Heh, funny thing is that the Rutgers/Indiana game was a good close game (Tevin Coleman had like 2,000 yards in that game and still lost)

Rutgers/Ohio State was really the worst game as that game was over in 2 minutes.

edit. My memories are failing as me getting older but it was 45-23 ... so yeah, that game still works. Maryland-Rutgers however was definitely a good game.

HOW DID INDIANA BEAT MIZZOU in MIZZOU, I DON"T GET IT.

Draxal

I don't see how Hackenberg gets over Zettel in every one of these lists. Zettel's really good, but just gets overshadowed by Bosa and Calhoun.

Leonte Carroo got screwed in this list, but he made higher in the Big 10 specific list so w/e, the BIG Ten specific list is much better imho, as they had Zettel in the right place.

andycapps

Damn. That's actually kinda crazy.

The list does seem to be heavy on guys from teams that had success last year. It's also SECSECSEC-heavy, but what's new?

Ogbah (our DE on the list) is projected to go in the first round next year, if not top 10.

These lists are very "conventional wisdom" heavy and don't always mean the best players. For example, how the NFL often ends up with guys we've never even heard of from lower tier schools like UCF. I only looked at the top 10 and it looked like a decent list.

KingGondo

Banned
These lists are very "conventional wisdom" heavy and don't always mean the best players. For example, how the NFL often ends up with guys we've never even heard of from lower tier schools like UCF. I only looked at the top 10 and it looked like a decent list.
Sure. I'm not taking it terribly seriously anyways, it's just discussion fodder during the agonizing final few weeks before the season starts.

andycapps

Sure. I'm not taking it terribly seriously anyways, it's just discussion fodder during the agonizing final few weeks before the season starts.
I hope our fighting Citronauts fan doesn't take my dig seriously. And I get what you're saying. This time of the year is so big on lists because it drives click views for these sites. Especially when ESPN pieces it out 10 players at a time and makes you click through each one to see everything.

Speaking of the fighting Citronauts, in my bizarro NCAA dynasty a guy named Victor Gray broke the all time NCAA sacks record in his senior year. I was thinking, "man this dude is a beast I wonder if he's in the NFL?". I looked up online and he retired before graduating because of injury :(

Humble and hungry. That's how the program is run. Someone like Bortles was overlooked and recruited only as a tight end.

Speaking of the fighting Citronauts, in my bizarro NCAA dynasty a guy named Victor Gray broke the all time NCAA sacks record in his senior year. I was thinking, "man this dude is a beast I wonder if he's in the NFL?". I looked up online and he retired before graduating because of injury :(
Yeah he was a beast. Sucks he had to hang it up. Great guy too. Met him once near campus with some mutal friends.

andycapps

Humble and hungry. That's how the program is run. Someone like Bortles was overlooked and recruited only as a tight end.
UCF is a great program given how long they've been in existence. If they weren't in Florida I'm not sure if they'd be quite as good, but they are so they're making the best of the talent that they get. Even when it's not the top tier talent in the state, Florida's tier 2 and 3 talent is still really good, particularly if you know how to coach them up.

Including incoming freshmen, Kansas is down to 61 scholarship players. They are under no sanctions afaik. I just hope they don't lose many more players because it could start to get dangerous for the players on the field when there's no depth.

61 seems low, but FCS programs go with 63 scholarship players. D2 and below teams like UCF go with 36. Even the NFL plays 16 game schedules plus playoffs with 53 man rosters.

Be right back, I have to go propose that D1 schools reduce scholarships across the board.

Draxal

61 seems low, but FCS programs go with 63 scholarship players. D2 and below teams like UCF go with 36. Even the NFL plays 16 game schedules plus playoffs with 53 man rosters.

Be right back, I have to go propose that D1 schools reduce scholarships across the board.

It's lower than PSU had under sanctions.

mre

Including incoming freshmen, Kansas is down to 61 scholarship players. They are under no sanctions afaik. I just hope they don't lose many more players because it could start to get dangerous for the players on the field when there's no depth.
Time to cheat.

Another Saturday morning comes, still no CFB.

Regarding Kansas, can't they get some more players via walk-ons during the current pre-season camp?

Jhriad

Between the ridiculous coaching turnover and Charlie Weis' brilliant move to dismiss 29 players from the team two years ago they have no one to blame but themselves. Maybe don't fire your coaches every two years? You're fucking KU, expect some mediocre football.

On a totally random note, I had no clue that Autzen Stadium only seats 54,000 people.

That seems insanely low for a program that has become as prominent as Oregon.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
On a totally random note, I had no clue that Autzen Stadium only seats 54,000 people.

That seems insanely low for a program that has become as prominent as Oregon.

they have trouble with non-conference games filling it up, plus traffic is horrendous in Eugene already and there are a lot of roadblocks to increasing the size there.

They got so big so fast they didn't go through that natural fan growth process and are kind of stuck now

Jhriad

I'm not really sure if you're actually serious but I'll go ahead an correct some of the misconceptions present in your posts as if you are:

FCS programs go with 63 scholarship players.

The average team size for the FCS, FBS, and Div II schools are 101, 118, and 109 respectively. FCS programs are also allowed up to 30 players counted toward their yearly 'counter' limit whereas FBS programs are only allowed 25 (with an allowable oversigning limit of up to 28). This, in addtion to equivalency rather than headcount (which I'll go into in a moment), gives FCS programs a little more flexibility in shoring up low roster numbers at a much greater clip.

D2 and below teams like UCF go with 36.

D2 & FCS teams use a different scholarship model than FBS teams are allowed to use. Instead of the headcount model where it's one player per scholarship, they're allowed partial scholarships. In essence they're allowed to split a scholarship between two players and that counts as '1' for their respective scholarship limits. With the much smaller athletic department budgets the the smaller scholarship limits help keep costs manageable as well as ensure a more even playing field. Much like the reduced scholarship limit of 85 has done in FBS/Division 1-A football.

Even the NFL plays 16 game schedules plus playoffs with 53 man rosters.

Because men in their mid-twenties to thirties who have been refining their craft for over a decade, including their time in college, are the same as someone just coming out of high school right? A lot of scholarships at all levels of play are tied up in young players that will never see the field. NFL rosters are all players that will see some playing time or are important backups. The NFL also allows an additional 10 players on the practice squad that don't count against the roster limit. That 10 also doesn't count any international players which can be in addition to the practice squad limit if their place of residence is outside the US. In addition, teams can add/drop personnel throughout the season and there's the injured reserve list, which frees up a roster spot in event a player will be out for an extended period. Hoo-boy, that roster of 50+ veteran players sure is sounding restrictive now!

I acknowledge it's low by FBS standards. But I'm also saying FBS roster sizes -- 85 scholarships plus however many walk-ons -- are kind of ridiculous.

Tell that to the schools that have a ton of attrition to the NFL over a short period or see a bevy of injuries at important positions. Hope those freshmen are ready to play!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom