• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2015 Off-season thread: 12 Gauge backfires on Super Mariota, Mario FPS unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntoneM

I'm not really sure if you're actually serious but I'll go ahead an correct some of the misconceptions present in your posts as if you are:

The average team size for the FCS, FBS, and Div II schools are 101, 118, and 109 respectively. FCS programs are also allowed up to 30 players counted toward their yearly 'counter' limit whereas FBS programs are only allowed 25 (with an allowable oversigning limit of up to 28). This, in addtion to equivalency rather than headcount (which I'll go into in a moment), gives FCS programs a little more flexibility in shoring up low roster numbers at a much greater clip.

D2 & FCS teams use a different scholarship model than FBS teams are allowed to use. Instead of the headcount model where it's one player per scholarship, they're allowed partial scholarships. In essence they're allowed to split a scholarship between two players and that counts as '1' for their respective scholarship limits. With the much smaller athletic department budgets the the smaller scholarship limits help keep costs manageable as well as ensure a more even playing field. Much like the reduced scholarship limit of 85 has done in FBS/Division 1-A football.

Because men in their mid-twenties to thirties who have been refining their craft for over a decade, including their time in college, are the same as someone just coming out of high school right? A lot of scholarships at all levels of play are tied up in young players that will never see the field. NFL rosters are all players that will see some playing time or are important backups. The NFL also allows an additional 10 players on the practice squad that don't count against the roster limit. That 10 also doesn't count any international players which can be in addition to the practice squad limit if their place of residence is outside the US. In addition, teams can add/drop personnel throughout the season and there's the injured reserve list, which frees up a roster spot in event a player will be out for an extended period. Hoo-boy, that roster of 50+ veteran players sure is sounding restrictive now!

Tell that to the schools that have a ton of attrition to the NFL over a short period or see a bevy of injuries at important positions. Hope those freshmen are ready to play!

That's true, but, none of the contenders really do that, if they do it's maybe for 4 or 6 players. The big FCS teams draw 15,000 to 25,000 to games and have no need to split scholarships.

Of course the NDSU Bison are a bit of an outlier, but they play in a dome with 19,000 some, max, and charge $155 for their cheapest season tickets with upwards of $205 plus a required "donation" of $2750.

That's true, but, none of the contenders really do that, if they do it's maybe for 4 or 6 players. The big FCS teams draw 15,000 to 25,000 to games and have no need to split scholarships.

Of course the NDSU Bison are a bit of an outlier, but they play in a dome with 19,000 some, max, and charge $155 for their cheapest season tickets with upwards of $205 plus a required "donation" of $2750.

Damn those fracking dollars are really helping North Dakota's economy if enough alum can afford that yearly donation without batting an eye

edit: Hey bucknut where's that spreadheet??

Jhriad

That's true, but, none of the contenders really do that, if they do it's maybe for 4 or 6 players.

All of them do it and that range you're quoting exists in part because FCS schools still share the 85 player 'headcount' limit with FBS despite their ability to use partials. Most programs will also switch kids over to full scholarships or increase the degree of their partial as they start contributing. NDSU and programs like it are outliers in much the same way that a program like Alabama is an outlier. Success will naturally yield advantages even with the subsequently increased player turnover to the next level. Talented kids are much more willing to take a preferred walk-on spot for a big program at any level. Having a captive populace that has few local options competing in the same space helps as well. It's one of the pillars that has propped up Nebraska over the past decade.
We'll be good again someday.
Please God, let it be soon.

Ok boys and girls time for our annual whos the biggest idiot on GAF contest!
Please use the below template and either PM it to me or reply on here with your conf/playoff winners. Divisions winners award 1 point, conf champs award 2, Each playoff team correct is 3, finals game 4 and National Champion gets you 7 points.

-ACC
Coastal
Atlantic

-B1G
East
West

-Big 12

-PAC 12
North
South

-SEC
East
West

-AAC
East
West

Playoff Semi
Finals
Champion

Jhriad

It's bad enough that practically every page on ESPNdotcom has some shitty video that automatically plays but do half of them really have to be from that train wreck of a show that Finebaum runs?

Bolded the conference winners. Ignore those black bars for point considerations. I'll stick with my goofy picks.

-ACC
Coastal: Ga. Tech
Atlantic: Clemson

-B1G
East: Ohio State
West: Nebraska
Haha, no. Well... maybe? Nah. It'll be Wisconsin.

-Big 12
TCU

-PAC 12
North: Oregon
South: Utah

-SEC
East: Georgia
West: Texas A&M

Playoff Semi
1 Ohio State
2 Georgia
3 TCU
4 Utah

Finals
1 Georgia
Of course it'll be Ohio State. That roster is siiiick.
2 Utah

EDIT:
AAC East: Cincinnati
AAC West: Memphis

Piggus

On a totally random note, I had no clue that Autzen Stadium only seats 54,000 people.

That seems insanely low for a program that has become as prominent as Oregon.

There was a plan for an expansion at one point but I don't know if that went anywhere. Too many other factors keeping it from happening, but it will happen at some point. It's still a really nice (and loud) stadium.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
No Mountain West predictions? The entire process is set up for the power conferences! I'm boycotting on principle.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
It's bad enough that practically every page on ESPNdotcom has some shitty video that automatically plays but do half of them really have to be from that train wreck of a show that Finebaum runs?

When I got tired of that I went in and blocked Flash from playing on ESPN. Now I can tell the videos to play if I want but nothing runs automatically.

I was surprised by how terrible an idea it seems to have videos autoplay with no audio controls whatsoever back when they first did their site redesign, but now I'm really just thoroughly confused as to how it has been months since then and they still don't have a volume slider.

I also bolded the conference winners

-ACC
Coastal: Miami
Atlantic: Clemson

-B1G
East: tOSU
West: Wisconsin

-Big 12: TCU

-PAC 12
North: Stanford
South: USC

-SEC
East: Missouri
West: Alabama

Playoff Semi
1 Ohio State
2 Alabama
3 USC
4 TCU

Finals
1 TCU
2 Alabama

Champion: Alabama

Ok boys and girls time for our annual whos the biggest idiot on GAF contest!
Please use the below template and either PM it to me or reply on here with your conf/playoff winners. Divisions winners award 1 point, conf champs award 2, Each playoff team correct is 3, finals game 4 and National Champion gets you 7 points.

-ACC
Coastal
Atlantic

-B1G
East
West

-Big 12

-PAC 12
North
South

-SEC
East
West

Playoff Semi
Finals
Champion
Woooow. My prediction...

AAC - UCF

lol, bitch conferences.
Man fuck your couch.

Jhriad

I had the American on last year and went back and forth for 5 minutes deciding if i should include it. If the consensus is we want to the include the AAC ill put it on.

The consensus is that no one actually knows what teams are in the AAC because, well, it's the AAC.

No idea how good any team in that conference is so I'll just shit out a guess.

AAC East: Cincinnati
AAC West: Memphis

-ACC
Coastal: Duke
Atlantic: Florida State

-B1G
East: Ohio State
West: Wisconsin

-Big 12: TCU

-PAC 12
North: Oregon
South: UCLA

-SEC
East: Rocky Top Tennessee
West: Alabama

Playoff Semi
1 Alabama
2 Ohio State
3 Florida State
4 Auburn
Finals
1 Alabama
2 Florida State
Champion: Florida State

Draxal

-ACC
Coastal: GTech
Atlantic FSU

-B1G
East tOSU
West Husker

One True Champion: TCU

-PAC 12
North Oregon
South USC

-SEC
East Georgia
West Bama

-AAC
East Uconn
West Houston

Playoff Semi
1tOSU
2TCU
3Bama
4Oregon
Finals
1tOSU
2TCU
Champion
tOSU

This ain't West Virginia!

I was at happy hour with my new coworkers on Friday and one guy mentioned he went to West Virginia, so I asked him if he burned any couches. The entire rest of the group had no idea what I was talking about, but he knew.

-ACC
Coastal
FSU
Atlantic
GA Tech

-B1G
East
Ohio St
West
Wisconsin

-Big 12
Baylor

-PAC 12
North
Oregon
South
USC

-SEC
East
Georgia
West
Alabama

-AAC
East
Cinci
West
Memphis

Playoff Semi
1 Ohio St
2 Bama
3 Baylor
4 Oregon

Finals
1 Ohio St
2 Baylor

Champion
Ohio St

AntoneM

-ACC
Coastal - Florida State
Atlantic - Georgia Tech

-B1G
East - Ohio State
West - Minnesota

-Big 12 - Baylor

-PAC 12
North - Oregon
South - Arizona State

-SEC
East - Georgia
West - Alabama

-AAC
East - Cincinnati
West - Navy

Playoff Semi
1 Ohio State
2 Alabama
3 Baylor
4 Oregon
Finals
1 Ohio State
2 Alabama
Champion
Alabama

-ACC champ: Ga Tech
Coastal - Ga Tech
Atlantic - Clemson

-B1G champ: OStU
East - OStU
West - Wiscy

-Big 12 - Ten-way tie.

-PAC 12 champ: Oregon
North - Oregon
South - Arizona

-SEC champ: Alabama
East - Missouri
West - Alabama

-AAC champ: UCF
East - UCF
West - Navy

Playoff Semi
1 Alabama
2 Ohio State
3 TCU
4 Michigan State
Finals
1 Alabama
2 Ohio State
Champion
Alabama

I finally told my mom I was an atheist. Went better than I expected.
You're not an atheist.

You worship the all-knowing, all-powerful Citronaut.

Who shall, upon the end of the world, deliver all UCF faithful to a glorious planet with orange groves as far as the eye can see and an automatic berth in the College Football Playoff.

andycapps

-ACC
Coastal - GA Tech
Atlantic - Louisville

-B1G
East - tOSU
West - Wisconsin

-Big 12 - TCU

-PAC 12
North - Oregon
South - UCLA

-SEC
East - Georgia
West - Alabama

-AAC
East - UCF
West - Houston

Playoff Semi
1 tOSU
2 Georgia
3 Oregon
4 TCU

Finals
1 tOSU
2 Georgia

Champion
tOSU

-ACC
Coastal - Georgia Tech
Atlantic - Louisville

-B1G
East - Ohio State
West - Nebraska

-Big 12 - TCU

-PAC 12
North - Oregon (just the ducks and the rest sucks pick)
South - USC (admitted homer pick)

-SEC
East - Georgia
West - Alabama

-AAC
East - East Carolina
West - Houston

Playoff Semi
1 - Ohio State
2 - Georgia Tech
3 - Georgia
4 - TCU

Finals
1 - Ohio State
2 - Georgia

Champion - Ohio State

Ganhyun

-ACC
Coastal - GA Tech
Atlantic - Louisville

-B1G
East - tOSU
West - Wisconsin

-Big 12 - TCU

-PAC 12
North - Oregon
South - UCLA

-SEC
East - Georgia
West - Alabama

-AAC
East - UCF
West - Houston

Playoff Semi
1 tOSU
2 Georgia
3 Oregon
4 TCU

Finals
1 tOSU
2 Georgia

Champion
Georgia

cashman

Banned
Texas ain't doing shit this year Cyan

-ACC
Coastal - FSU
Atlantic - GTech

-B1G
East - OSU
West - Michigan St

-Big 12 - Baylor

-PAC 12
North - Oregon
South - UCLA

-SEC
East - Tennessee
West - Auburn

Playoff Semi
1 Auburn
2 OSU
3 UCLA
4 Alabama

Finals
1 Auburn
2 OSU

Champion
Auburn

andycapps

Oh that would be a fun semi-final....on GAF

Would people really want to see that rematch when we already play them the week of Thanksgiving?

Ganhyun said:
Champion
Georgia

I admire your faith, and I had my vote that way but immediately changed it to pick tOSU. I wanted to bring the requisite level of Munsoning to this thread that will be required in order to appease the CFB gods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom