• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlie Hebdo attacks - Hostage situations ended, 4 hostages reportedly killed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alx

I don't know if this has been posted yet but this employee of the Kosher supermarket, who happens to be a muslim from Mali, apparently saved 15 people by hiding them it the store refrigerator, including a 1 month old baby.

B6-8llsCUAAhujO.jpg:large

http://www.leparisien.fr/faits-dive...rie-a-cache-des-otages-10-01-2015-4435025.php

Even provided the cops a map of the grocery through his phone... it has probably been useful to plan the raid.

And there was so many reports of retaliations against muslism last night ...hopefully we will be able to pass thourght this situation ASAP...

I don't see any reports of retaliations yet, do you have any sources for it perhaps? Not that I'm drilling you or anything, I'm just trying to find some info :p

I don't see any reports of retaliations yet, do you have any sources for it perhaps? Not that I'm drilling you or anything, I'm just trying to find some info :p

Unfortunatly my main source for info is TV ( French Tv , Itélé ) with a bit of Radio ( France Inter ) so i can't provide links but it shouldn't be hard to find those.

There has been attacks on Muslims in France ever since the Charlie Hebdo attacks... Thankfully no deaths, but I've read things like plaster grenades thrown at a mosque, etc.

EDIT: http://www.lemainelibre.fr/actualit...r-des-grenades-et-une-balle-08-01-2015-121884

Yeah I know about the grenade one and some other incidents right after the original attack, but I thought he/she was alluding to a high number of attacks on Muslims from last night or something? So I mean, after the hostage situations.

Unfortunatly my main source for info is TV ( French Tv , Itélé ) with a bit of Radio ( France Inter ) so i can't provide links but it shouldn't be hard to find those.

Ah okay, thank you. Can't see anything on Dutch news sites or CNN and such, but I'm guessing we'll see some info later in the day then.

Yeah I know about the grenade one and some other incidents right after the original attack, but I thought he/she was alluding to a high number of attacks on Muslims from last night or something? So I mean, after the hostage situations.

That's what i was refering to

Will try to find some links

That's what i was refering to

Will try to find some links

Ah okay, thank you. Can't see anything on Dutch news sites or CNN and such, but I'm guessing we'll see some info later in the day then.

Well , i can only find articles on the previous night (Thursday to friday) but i can confirm that last night ( friday to saturday ) , more stuff happenned accross the country , nobody seems to have made a list of the events. Yet

BUt here is the list for the first night i guess ?

SOrry but i swear i heard it on radio not long ago.

Well , i can only find articles on the previous night (Thursday to friday) but i can confirm that last night ( friday to saturday ) , more stuff happenned accross the country , nobody seems to have made a list of the events. Yet

BUt here is the list for the first night i guess ?

SOrry but i swear i heard it on radio not long ago.

It's fine really. I assume local news will be a lot faster with picking up info on that, so it'll surface sooner or later. Thank you very much for trying to find some articles there though and for that list of events from the night before!

Mac_Lane

I'm amazed at how many heads of states and governments will be in Paris on Sunday.

Cameron, Renzi, Rajoy, Merkel will be there. But so will Davutoglu (Turkish premier), Jooma (Tunisian premier), Lavrov (Russian foreign minister...)...

Security will have to be very tight. Plus, there could be as many as one million people in that march.

Just woke up... it looks like the female terrorist is still on the loose. Have they debunked the theory that she escaped with the hostages at the Kosher store?

http://www.liberation.fr/societe/20...o-les-dernieres-avancees-de-l-enquete_1177733

Apparenty the reason the 18 year-old Kouachi brother-in-law was wanted by the police at one point was because one of the witnesses heard the Kouachis mention a "Mourad" during their escape from Charlie Hebdo. The 18 year-old then saw his name in the media and immediately went to the police to clarify that he has nothing to do with this event especially since he was at school when it happened.

Interesting interview of one of the remaining caricaturist of Charlie Hebdo (in french though...).

In a nutshell: he's a bit dismaid at what people push Charlie to be (especially considering the next paper on Wednesday), aas Charlie Hebdo was fighting against symbolisms, and they now became (or were made to be) a symbol themselves.

I'm beginning to wonder what they'll do for their cover. Maybe something like this, or a mock on the march planned tomorrow... ?

Very interesting interview, thanks for sharing.

hommages.jpg

Translation:

Cavanna (Charlie Hebdo co-founder, deceased in January 2014): "Homages are really shit!"

"What a genius!"

Zaph

Shit. Policeman Ahmed Merabet's widow just confirmed during the press conference that she first heard about his death via the video as it was aired on a TV channel in a restaurant she was in. She then tried to call him and knew.

Networks need to hold themselves to a higher standard than liveleak.

Sayad

Shit. Policeman Ahmed Merabet's widow just confirmed during the press conference that she first heard about his death via the video as it was aired on a TV channel in a restaurant she was in. She then tried to call him and knew.

Networks need to hold themselves to a higher standard than liveleak.
She heard his name or saw the shooting video?... Either way, it's pretty fucked up.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
What a fucking hero.

I hope he gets the french citizenship and la légion d'honneur as a reward.

Yeah instead of giving the Légion to people who don't deserve it, he definitely should get it.

Do we know the actual reason they search for her? I thought that she wasn't involved in the shootings nor in the supermarket incident.

She might know stuff relevant to the investigation and might even have provided the terrorists support, in one way or another:

The Paris prosecutor, François Molins, said there was “constant and sustained” telephone contact – more than 500 calls last year – between Boumeddiene and Izzana Hamyd, the wife of Cherif Kouachi.

Boumeddine also reportedly accompanied Coulibaly and Kouachi on visits to Djamel Beghal, a radical preacher under house arrest in the Cantal in southern France, and Le Monde published photographs of her, wearing full niqab, in a nearby forest, apparently training with a crossbow
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/10/french-forces-search-ex-girlfriend-hostage-siege-gunman

The whereabouts of Hayat Boumeddiene are unknown after police named her as an "armed and dangerous" suspect.

(...)

According to Le Monde, Boumeddiene said she and Coulibaly practised firing crossbows together in the countryside while on holiday visiting Beghal, who claims to have met Osama bin Laden in Afghanistan to plan a suicide bombing. (...) Beghal, a convicted terrorist who was once based at London’s Finsbury Park mosque, was jailed for plotting to bomb the American embassy in Paris and mentored Coulibaly and Cherif Kouachi, according to Le Monde.

Boumeddiene was previously interviewed by French anti-terror police in 2010, it was reported, but it was unclear whether any action was taken against her. During interrogation, she reportedly said she was inspired by her boyfriend and radicals she lived with to "read a lot of books on religion". "When I saw the massacre of the innocents in Palestine, in Iraq, in Chechnya, in Afghanistan or anywhere the Americans sent their bombers, all that… well, who are the terrorists?" she said, according to the Daily Mail.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ans-girlfriend-hayat-boumedienne-9969144.html

Joni

Do we know the actual reason they search for her? I thought that she wasn't involved in the shootings nor in the supermarket incident.
She was the lead contact between the brothers and her boyfriend. There are more than 500 calls between her and the girlfriends of the brothers which makes it very likely they were communicating through them.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
She's still suspected of supporting his activities one way or another. Also, when terrorist attacks take place, it's standard procedure to question the families and friends (e.g. the Toulouse shootings in 2012)

Edit: She also had many phone calls with one of the Kouachi brothers' wives.

She was the lead contact between the brothers and her boyfriend. There are more than 500 calls between her and the girlfriends of the brothers which makes it very likely they were communicating through them.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Wow.. Now that's one brave man. A hero.

He says he shut down the lights and the freezer, then told them to stay there and stay calm and he would go up. I'm guessing when he went up the gunman asked him if anyone else was downstairs and he must have said no. If he hadn't gone up, who knows if the guy would have gone downstairs to check.

Koren

Just woke up... it looks like the female terrorist is still on the loose. Have they debunked the theory that she escaped with the hostages at the Kosher store?
Yes, it's debunked, I think.

In fact, she's apparently in Syria.

She left Europe for Istambul by plane on january 2nd (from Madrid, Spain). She should have came back yesterday, but she's been spotted passing the Syrian frontier on the 8th, according to turkish officials.

http://www.europe1.fr/la-trace-d-hayat-boumeddiene-retrouvee-en-syrie-2340449

When were those calls?

Edit: Found it... That's over 2014. There's still very few cues that proves she took part in the attacks themselves (although the fact that she has apparently fled suggest she knew... But at the same time, people in Algeria apparently had heard about it, so that's not surprising)

He says he shut down the lights and the freezer, then told them to stay there and stay calm and he would go up. I'm guessing when he went up the gunman asked him if anyone else was downstairs and he must have said no. If he hadn't gone up, who knows if the guy would have gone downstairs to check.

Even if the gunman went downstairs though, I think you can lock the refrigerator from the inside.

Koren

Even if the gunman went downstairs though, I think you can lock the refrigerator from the inside.
I would find it surprising, but assuming you can, the gunman would just have to put it back online...

But should he go downstairs, people upstairs would probably have been able to escape the shop. I don't expect him to perform a search downstairs just in case more people are hiding.

That's of no interest, though. He acted well and cleverly in an unexpected situation, and was brave enough to go back in the shop. That deserve a lot of respect.

Amedy Coulibaly's girlfriend (Hayat Boumeddiene) has left France to Syria

Boumeddine 'left France before attacks' – reports

There are reports in Le Monde and other parts of the French media that Hayat Boumeddiene – currently labelled France’s most-wanted woman for her suspected involvement in the atrocities committed by her partner, Amedy Coulibaly – could have fled the country before this week’s attacks took place.

Le Monde reports that Boumeddiene is suspected to have flown to Istanbul on 2 January, from where she reportedly travelled to Syria.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/li...lice-hunt-accomplice-terror-hostages-al-qaida

Chariot

I hope nothing will happen at the march tomorrow. It sounds risky. :(
Yeah, this would be the perfect opportunity for a big public attack. One bomb in the mass, even a tiny one could make dozens of deaths through panic and a cut right into the moral of people. Let's pray that everyone stay save.

Mrmartel

Banned
Tomorrow's march is an unbelievably huge target. With both the estimated number of common people attending and the world elite's that will be there as well. I'm actually shocked that they are going through with it so soon afterwards. You figure they would let things cool down a bit. I understand they want to promote a unified front against terror, but it could easily become the opposite of what they want if there are attacks tomorrow. It's a big risk. Really if the goal of these fanatics is to put a shiv between the population, this march is a silver platter.

Chariot

Well, let's hope that they bring a few special units with them. French forces are good, but a coordinate ATLAS operation would be even more save and - if it works - another symbol for the unity of Europe against threats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom