• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlie Hebdo attacks - Hostage situations ended, 4 hostages reportedly killed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the police got pretty damn lucky, especially in avoiding friendly fire. Particularly the first and weirdly only cop to enter who was lucky not to receive friendly fire in his back or get hit by the terrorist in front.

I find it amazing how the terrorist managed to just about make it outside the shop after being shot what must have been dozens of times.

Also imagine if the terrorist had pulled the pin of a grenade before he made his suicidal dash for the doors. He could have easily blown up a huge amount of police.

It felt good seeing him get pumped full of bullets at least.

Not terrorists, but funnily enough they have tested bullets vs bodies (in one of their Hollywood myth episodes). Mostly because of the whole "shotgun = fly backwards" thing.

if the bullets go through the body, you won't fly backward

if the bullet hit your vest, the mass and velocity will transfer to you : getting throw backward is usually a good sign if you are shot, it means your vest took it for you.

Fixed.

Unless you have that from an official Free Gaza source don't attribute the beliefs of an individual to a group just by virtue of their belonging to said group. Seems to be a bad habit that is easy to do. Been guilty of it myself.

And wow is her logic fucked up. Perfect French is no the sign of Mossad? Fucking idiot.

She is the co founder of the group.

Why is there no news on the final gun-woman? People are talking like the search is off but she's still running around, no?

She's not a suspect beside being the girlfriend/fiance to the kosher shop guy. She's still being looked for questioning in relation to her boyfriend and circle of friends but I don't think she's wanted for any violence commited in the past days.

in the print factory, where the two brothers were hidden, they found :
2 AK, 2 automatic pistols, 10 smoke grenades, one M82 rocket launcher with a live rocket loaded.

And they had molotov cocktails left in their original car.

They also aren't in it to kill civilians though. I was reading about the air France hijacking and the pilot said the hijackers had many opportunities to kill the hostages during the raid but chose not to do so

They dont care about killing civilians. During the hijacking they killed 3 of the hostages before they took off from alger. The pilot was in the cockpit when the raid happened and the copilot even jumped from the windows breaking his two legs . The raid was very quick for the first part because terrorists where grouped around the cockpit. The last part was a bit longer because the last terrorist standing was in the cockpit and firing on Gign so yeah maybe he could have killed the last two hostages (pilot and steward) but maybe with the raid violence and the surprise terrorist they do not think of hostages first.

So their motive may be not to kill civilians at first like suicide bombing in the street but in the end they don't care.

Front page of weekly magazine Le Point (conservative/center-right)

ob_95c4d8_b65kduycqaempsq.jpg

Alx

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I found this New Yorker piece by Teju Cole interesting:

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/unmournable-bodies

Woah that's completely missing the point of what Charlie Hebdo is. Maybe an understandable mistake from a US standpoint, but still ... I think you have to watch the video of the conception of the muhammad edition in 2006 to get their state of mind. They're just a bunch of old brats, not respecting any institution and trying to make fun of everything. They're anarchists, sure, many of them "68ers" as we call those whp took part in the cultural mini-revolution of 1968.
I don't even like most of their output because it's often in bad taste and immature, but it's certainly not a message of hatred.

Woah that's completely missing the point of what Charlie Hebdo is. Maybe an understandable mistake from a US standpoint, but still ... I think you have to watch the video of the conception of the muhammad edition in 2006 to get their state of mind. They're just a bunch of old brats, not respecting any institution and trying to make fun of everything. They're anarchists, sure, many of them "68ers" as we call those whp took part in the cultural mini-revolution of 1968.
I don't even like most of their output because it's often in bad taste and immature, but it's certainly not a message of hatred.
Most people in the US do not know about the 68 stuff that happened in Europe :/

Hence not getting it.

She's not a suspect beside being the girlfriend/fiance to the kosher shop guy. She's still being looked for questioning in relation to her boyfriend and circle of friends but I don't think she's wanted for any violence commited in the past days.
Going by Le Monde's article about it, which sources public statements by the prosecutor's office, they do believe Coulibaly and the Kouachis communicated through their wives/girlfriend. She was also with these guys back in 2010 when they spent time with Beghal (in Cantal of all places), a super hardcore proselyte. That's when Coulibaly devised a plan to try to get out of jail one of the 1995 bombers. That plan was foiled and he spent 4 years in jail as a result. Note they were meeting Beghal in the countryside because that's where he lives and has to stay.

Her being part of the cell isn't entirely unlikely and she's certainly a person of interest.

But yeah, another massive reporting fail when everyone put her in the mart and then as an escapee. Journalism, how does it work.

Edit: lol @ that piece of shit newyorker article. Get bent, you ignorant fucks. I stopped at "Islamic cultural expression, such as hijab". The truth of it is that 25 years ago, you couldn't see a hijab in France and it was a minor thing in Algeria and Tunisia. The veil came with radical Islam. So yeah, there's nothing remotely racist about despising that fucking veil.

Jisgsaw

Eh, I was halfway into typing my response when I saw you already said exactly what I was gonna say.

If the Fn is rising, it's not because of terrorism but because french politics are a joke and are thinking only about themselves for more than twenty years now. They lie non stop and can't keep a straight line of thought. French people aren't racist, xenophobic or anti Islam. They just have enough of shitty politics. Marine lepen and Philippot are smart and aware of this fact, they rightfully get more and more popular, even amongst people who belong to the first waves of immigration from North Africa, because they don't treat people like fools. They are coherent in their speeches and very clear. They also don't hesitate to talk about sensible topics no other politicians have the guts to tackle, too afraid to turn away their traditional voters.

Yeah, french politics are pretty bad... but that includes the FN.
Sorry to bring it to you, but they aren't really better than the others. They "just" stay more coherant (usually) in their speech.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Well great to see Palestine is now in an influential position with the UN. We really needed a voice of reason such as this to persecute the real enemy. The Jews.

There I said it. No nevermind, it is not the Jews, it is the Zionists, because putting a political or philosophical label on it removes racist connotations.

The Zionists can now be persecuted by the peaceful people of Palestine.

But it is all for not. Plus it is a continuing joke as far as the UN.

Oh wait, Russia is invading the Ukraine, China and Russia block intervention. Oh wait though, some evil scum is selling nukes yo other evil scum, Russia and China ate the sellers and the veto powers.

Oh wait, the West wants yo save a lone starving baby in Western Africa... Sorry, China and Russia will veto it. Fuck the UN. The United States should use it as a way to arrest all of the cunts of the world in one swoop.
While this tweet was stupid I have to wonder why you react so over the top aggressive against half of the world because of said tweet.

Rocked

It was very worrying to hear a number of interviews with "ordinary British muslims" on Radio 4's Today programme. Of course they all condemned what went on in Paris, but one said he loved the prophet more than he did his own family and all said that what the cartoonists had done was unacceptable and that they "brought it upon themselves".

Flintty

It was very worrying to hear a number of interviews with "ordinary British muslims" on Radio 4's Today programme. Of course they all condemned what went on in Paris, but one said he loved the prophet more than he did his own family and all said that what the cartoonists had done was unacceptable and that they "brought it upon themselves".

That's shocking :(

Having thought a bit deeper about it though, if a Muslim was burning the poppy in public and got attacked and killed by some/one of the UK darling scum, how many 'normal' people would say 'he brought it on himself'?

Food for thought.

Eh, I was halfway into typing my response when I saw you already said exactly what I was gonna say.

Yeah, french politics are pretty bad... but that includes the FN.
Sorry to bring it to you, but they aren't really better than the others. They "just" stay more coherant (usually) in their speech.

Indeed they jus had yet their hand in the honeypot. they only want a piece of the pie, once that happen, they will fall in line

The only truly scary people in french right wing was MNR.

spekkeh

Banned
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I found this New Yorker piece by Teju Cole interesting:

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/unmournable-bodies

While I agree with most of his points, I don't think you can equate ideological killings with states trying to suppress the divulging of secrets, nor that drone strikes can be called similar to targeted attacks on free speech institutions (well, in a very culturally relativistic way maybe).

So in the end it kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe it's just too early, I don't know.

dosh

That's shocking :(

Having thought a bit deeper about it though, if a Muslim was burning the poppy in public and got attacked and killed by some/one of the UK darling scum, how many 'normal' people would say 'he brought it on himself'?

Food for thought.
The Charlie Hebdo cartoonists didn't burn the prophet in public though. And nobody in the west would kill a cartoonist because he makes fun of the pope.

Assault

Well, any depiction of Mohammad is considered to be blasphemous from an Islamic perspective. It's not hard to see why an "ordinary British Muslim" who seemingly takes his religion seriously would find the cartoons unacceptable. The important thing to note is that they all condemned the attacks. If they went around showing support for what happened, then that would be an issue.

Flintty

The Charlie Hebdo cartoonists didn't burn the prophet in public though. And nobody in the west would kill a cartoonist because he makes fun of the pope.

The act was different but the emotions and outrage would be similar and yes, sadly we do have people in EU who would do that sort of thing, hence the reprisal attacks.

I'm not defending it. Just playing devils advocate.

Well great to see Palestine is now in an influential position with the UN. We really needed a voice of reason such as this to persecute the real enemy. The Jews.

There I said it. No nevermind, it is not the Jews, it is the Zionists, because putting a political or philosophical label on it removes racist connotations.

The Zionists can now be persecuted by the peaceful people of Palestine.

But it is all for not. Plus it is a continuing joke as far as the UN.

Oh wait, Russia is invading the Ukraine, China and Russia block intervention. Oh wait though, some evil scum is selling nukes yo other evil scum, Russia and China ate the sellers and the veto powers.

Oh wait, the West wants yo save a lone starving baby in Western Africa... Sorry, China and Russia will veto it. Fuck the UN. The United States should use it as a way to arrest all of the cunts of the world in one swoop.

Mary Hughes Thompson speaks for all Palestinians? Like, she's their official spokesperson on all things?

Say word, son.

Say word....

Drencrom

What a bunch of fucking idiots

Rocked

Well, any depiction of Mohammad is considered to be blasphemous from an Islamic perspective. It's not hard to see why an "ordinary British Muslim" who seemingly takes his religion seriously would find the cartoons unacceptable.

Maybe it's time for Islam to start modernising as other religions have? Most Christians don't follow the bible to the core these days, apart from the likes of Fred Phelps. Much of the bible is disregards for being incompatible with the modern world.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Well, any depiction of Mohammad is considered to be blasphemous from an Islamic perspective. It's not hard to see why an "ordinary British Muslim" who seemingly takes his religion seriously would find the cartoons unacceptable. The important thing to note is that they all condemned the attacks. If they went around showing support for what happened, then that would be an issue.

Suggesting that innocent victims brought a crime upon themselves does not qualify as outright condemnation for me. The appropriate and acceptable analysis is that the murderers are completely in the wrong, full stop.

lefantome

Well they may condemn the attacks but they still don't get freedom of expression and that's problematic. They get offended on behalf of their god.
Religious belifes are not exempt from criticism and people should not expect them to be enforced on others.

Charli hebdo staff was not muslim, therefore they shouldn't follow its rules just like we do when we eat pork, we pray other gods or we consider ourselves atheist.

Lime

I'm really sorry and sad that this has happened, especially with the 4 additional deaths that I found out about this morning.

I hope the wounds will heal over time and that people will be brought together in combating extremist thought. My thoughts go out to everyone affected by this.

Eligor

Neo Member
The fact that a lot of them still don't get that the cartoons were only targeting radical islam and are just focusing on "depicting the prophet is wrong" is extremely worrying.

Joni

It is not a condemnation. It is partial victim blaming. It is rape is bad, but the girl should really have worn a longer skirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom