• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child Of Eden |OT| of Amazing Visuals, Fantastic Music and Multi-Platform Bliss

Jintor

supermackem said:
So you cant sit down and play? dont understand why you would need to stand when it only uses your hands?.

I think you can. It's honestly never occured to me to try, though.

a1m said:
Really? Source? I have to buy another move.

one up the back alley would really put you in the game... just have a good excuse ready incase you get busted with a purple globe sticking out your arse :D

Clunker

If the game lives up to the initial strong impression it made on me, I am totally going to double-dip and see how the game plays with a Move controller. The bar with Kinect is set immensely high, however ... a phrase that I never saw myself ever writing.

Atolm

Pre-ordered the PS3 version.

I've realized Mizuguchi has never disappointed me. He has been ignored by western mainstream media, but to me, he's up there with people like Ueda, and he has never been a prick like many other relevant videogame directors. He deserves my money.

kiryogi

Banned
That does make me wonder now... Is it possible maybe the PS3 version will be full on uncompressed for videos? If so, I would double dip... and get a move D:

Amir0x

Banned
bycha said:
Eurogamer says:

"But once you've experienced the jaw-dropping sights on offer, the more gritty business of competition and completion begins. Within these parameters, Child of Eden is indisputably best played like Rez: with a controller. The accuracy of the analogue stick combined with the short jabbing motions required to switch between shot types make this a more precise, controlled experience."

i am shocked

can't wait for the PS3 version. Rez is so amazing for a connoisseur of the psychadelic arts

kiryogi said:
That does make me wonder now... Is it possible maybe the PS3 version will be full on uncompressed for videos? If so, I would double dip... and get a move D:

If the 360 install is only 2-3GB then there was plenty of room for higher quality videos. It must be a quality vs speed of loading issue. Do the videos on 360 look low quality?

Want a Kinect for this, but can't find a price that suits me. Might buy the game now and Kinect later.

kiryogi

Banned
Dead Man Typing said:
If the 360 install is only 2-3GB then there was plenty of room for higher quality videos. It must be a quality vs speed of loading issue. Do the videos on 360 look low quality?

Want a Kinect for this, but can't find a price that suits me. Might buy the game now and Kinect later.

Can't say I've noticed much, but my only playtime was last night. I think Wario was mentioning how the videos do seem slightly compressed.

StuBurns

Banned
If Move didn't have that horrible glowing ball, I could have seen it being the best way to play, but alas, gamepad it is.

angrybus

Banned
Alex Dee said:
Hurry up and ship this Amazon! I don't think I can wait much longer.
I'm assuming by your Heather Trott avatar that you're from the UK -- has this game been released here or something? My LOVEFiLM account lists it as released.

Picked this up late yesterday, didnt get a chance to even break the plastic. Cant wait to get home and give this puppy a whirl. Nice to see so many positive impressions!

Alx

Amir0x said:
i am shocked

So am I... by your selective bolding. The eurogamer review states that the controller is better for score attack, which is no surprise (a mouse and keyboard would probably have been even better). It went just after their comment on the "full-body experience" :
If you want the full-body physical experience - feeling part of the music, sweeping your arms like a conductor in wide arcs that call the timpani section to action at your signal - then Kinect is the way to play Child of Eden. With the lights down low and the right ambiance and mind-set, it's a dance-like experience - but not in the orthodox video game understanding of Simon-says rhythm-action routines.

While we're at it, the preferences of the reviewers seem very subjective.
Ign prefers motion
After trying both control options for Child of Eden, I found that I preferred Kinect's superior responsiveness. Yes, Kinect makes navigating Eden's databases far easier. In fact, the analog sticks seem clunky compared to swiftly moving your hand around the screen.

CVG prefers controller
It might be a case of practice makes perfect to a large extent; using Kinect with the two weapons assigned to each hand is more difficult than using the pad we're all accustomed to. What can be attributed to a Kinect short coming though is the way you have to swap hands to switch weapons. The change over is rarely smooth as the reticule jolts and the camera gets dragged slightly if one hand falls to your side before the other is in play. It can really put you off your stride and, more importantly, makes you more aware of the game rather than immersed. Scratch your nose when you're playing and it's all over.

And gamespot is somewhere in the middle
Both control schemes work well, but the standard controller is easier to use. The Kinect tracking is good and the camera sensitivity can be adjusted in the menu system, but there are times when weapon changes will unintentionally move the camera and leave you feeling disorientated. But what the Kinect loses in ease, it makes up for by being the more immersive experience. Aside from allowing you the freedom to move in time to the music, it gives you the feeling of conducting an electronic orchestra as your movements directly affect the music and sound effects.

My general impression, based on those and the different feedbacks here, is that (no surprise) the control is tighter with a controller, but the experience is richer with motion. I'll probably play the game mainly with kinect when I get it, and keep the controller for the slouching sessions if I get too lazy.

Amir0x said:
i am shocked

can't wait for the PS3 version. Rez is so amazing for a connoisseur of the psychadelic arts

I'm not sure how many people in this thread agree with that eurogamer quote, I know I don't. Maybe a controller ends up better for scoring but the game certainly feels better with kinect. I do agree with them about the smart bomb thing though.

Liberty4all

Banned

StuBurns

Banned
Alx said:
So am I... by your selective bolding. The eurogamer review states that the controller is better for score attack, which is no surprise (a mouse and keyboard would probably have been even better). It went just after their comment on the "full experience" :
How can you comment on 'selective bolding' with your editorializing?

"Full experience" and "full-body physical experience" are completely different.

MY GOD. this game is amazing, fantastic. it's like my brain exploded over and over again while playing :D

teared up and saw jesus too (j/k, but almost did tear up a few time yeah)

played on 360 with the controller, the game isn't easy, prolly harder that Rez, I suppose kinect mode is much esier though.

Was surprised not to see it anywhere on japanese webshops (only asian version, us imports) (I own a jp 360) in the end I just picked up the european version, since the game is region free.

Is it 3D compatible on PS3?

Alx

StuBurns said:
How can you comment on 'selective bolding' with your editorializing?

"Full experience" and "full-body physical experience" are completely different.

My bad, editing the missing word...

Hitoribhoshi said:
Is it 3D compatible on PS3?
I remember reading in something where Miz was asked that question and he said something to the effect of "That would be a good idea". No confirmation either way.

I am so god damn jealous of all of you playing. God damn release dates.

saunderez

Tried the controller in the hoodie thing for the vibration quickly this afternoon.

Awesome. I could feel the back of my neck pulsing in time with the rhythm.

Can't wait to try it again when I have a bit more free time.

\o/
Miz on next 8-4 podcast!

2km1q.jpg

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Woah, CheapyD on the 8-4 show? He has been an adamant Kinect hater but yesterday tweeted that he bought the Kinect with Child of Eden. Being on the podcast must have convinced him to join the winning side.

saunderez said:
Tried the controller in the hoodie thing for the vibration quickly this afternoon.

Awesome. I could feel the back of my neck pulsing in time with the rhythm.

Can't wait to try it again when I have a bit more free time.

That's a good idea. I'm going to try 2 controllers in cargo pants pockets, 1 controller in hoodie hood, and 1 controller in hoodie pocket.

Roarer

Damn you Miz, now I'm 120 bucks in the hole with a Kinect sensor arriving tomorrow and one copy of Child of Eden to be picked up soonish. You've made me buy an expensive ass peripheral which I have no other interest in and with nothing but dire shovelware coming out for it for the foreseeable future. Thanks a lot, asshole.

<3 <3 <3 Mizuguchi, all hail the future of motion gaming <3 <3 <3

Liberty4all

Banned
Hitoribhoshi said:
I meant cried, sorry, english isn't my mother tongue :)

no worries hitoribhoshi. I think he understood you but was shocked you cried. I'm not. If any game is going to evoke an emotional response it's this one. On par with Flower in that sense ....

that's another difference between this and Rez 1. Child of Eden is a much more emotional experience.

LiK

Bamelin said:
no worries hitoribhoshi. I think he understood you but was shocked you cried. I'm not. If any game is going to evoke an emotional response it's this one. On par with Flower in that sense ....

that's another difference between this and Rez 1. Child of Eden is a much more emotional experience.
To me, Rez is more melancholy but Child of Eden is much more joyful.

Liberty4all

Banned
LiK said:
To me, Rez is more melancholy but Child of Eden is much more joyful.

thanks LiK ... I knew it came out wrong the way i said it .... BOTH games play on the emotions through music and visual input, but the emotions they tug at are somewhat different in terms of how one feels while playing.

Top Bottom