• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child Of Eden |OT| of Amazing Visuals, Fantastic Music and Multi-Platform Bliss

OK, I'm now stuck on the third stage, but yes, trying both controller and with Kinect, Kinect controls feel more fun, even if it's less accurate.

Coldsnap

Realized I need to buy this game tonight, didn't know it was out. Amazon made it really easy because I guess you can buy stuff directly with your Amazon credit card points.... got the game for free then. AWESOME!

AwShucks

Playing with a controller. Beat 2 levels so far (didn't get enough stars for the 3rd level yet). I'm loving it and honestly it feels and sounds like Rez 1.5 or like...Rez DLC or something. Which is great because Rez is great and this is great. Yea.

Jintor

Perfects aren't about damage, they're about maintaining or increasing the point multiplier

By the way, post when you defeat the last boss of the boss rush, I want to talk about something I thought when playing the game

bryehn said:
you nerds need wrist weights.

I'll have your mom bring some over.

Zing!

With that out of the way...there needs to be more themes and wallpapers and posters to print out from the images this game has.

Simply glorious.

jlevel13

I didn't have a ton of time to play yet, but here are my first impressions...

I was surprised (after the tutorial) how challenging the game is right away - much more so than Rez which has a kind of downtempo feel and slowly builds as you move through a level, it seems to me that Child of Eden plays much faster and more intense. Also the more abstract graphics probably adds to the challenge (to start). This is not a complaint - challenge feels good.

I started with Kinect (and I'm not a kinect hater), but I just couldn't get the hang of it - felt vague and confused. I tried both standing and sitting down, but just couldn't get my head around it. Eventually decided to try out the controller and right away (for me) the game felt a lot better. Turned on the vibration and it really started to make a lot more sense - I like that extra sensory input to the beat and feelinglockingckng on and destroying objects that I wasn't getting with kinect. Also I just had an easier time switching between the different shot types in an instant and with aiming my shots. Possibly I'm just mentally lacking when switching between my left and right hands with kinect, but for me the controller felt much better and actually more immersive thanks to the rumble feedback.

Game is beautiful and as much as I loved Rez, so far this feels like a step up, a real progression - I can't wait to play more.

jlevel13 said:
I didn't have a ton of time to play yet, but here are my first impressions...

I was surprised (after the tutorial) how challenging the game is right away - much more so than Rez which has a kind of downtempo feel and slowly builds as you move through a level, it seems to me that Child of Eden plays much faster and more intense. Also the more abstract graphics probably adds to the challenge (to start). This is not a complaint - challenge feels good.

I started with Kinect (and I'm not a kinect hater), but I just couldn't get the hang of it - felt vague and confused. I tried both standing and sitting down, but just couldn't get my head around it. Eventually decided to try out the controller and right away (for me) the game felt a lot better. Turned on the vibration and it really started to make a lot more sense - I like that extra sensory input to the beat and feelinglockingckng on and destroying objects that I wasn't getting with kinect. Also I just had an easier time switching between the different shot types in an instant and with aiming my shots. Possibly I'm just mentally lacking when switching between my left and right hands with kinect, but for me the controller felt much better and actually more immersive thanks to the rumble feedback.

Game is beautiful and as much as I loved Rez, so far this feels like a step up, a real progression - I can't wait to play more.

Sitting definitely doesn't work for me.

...and I use the "clapping" feature to switch between lock on and auto-fire.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
bigdaddygamebot said:
I'll have your mom bring some over.

Zing!

With that out of the way...there needs to be more themes and wallpapers and posters to print out from the images this game has.

Simply glorious.

There's a theme on XBL for this game that went live today. No idea how it looks

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
My reaction upon seeing this thread:

gaijin4koma2_peersblog_1200684608.jpg

Then I open it and...

PS3
EU 26 August, 2011
NA September 1, 2011

gaijin4koma_peersblog_1200684654.jpg

Yeah, no. By then I won't give a fuck because I'll be too busy playing Human Revolution whereas I've got nothing to play right now.

Liberty4all

Banned
Ok played through first level tonight. Got through prt of second level before dying ... Didn't even realize I was so close to death I was so sucked into the experience. Playing with pad.

Game is sublime

Shaneus

Coming out tomorrow in Australia. I *could* import it for $50 but I'd rather pay an extra $30 and have it day one. Mizuguchi, you had me at "hello".

saunderez

goldenpp72 said:
I beat level 1, before I go any further, what is the easiest method to release the lock on using kinect?
I push my hand forward like I'm a Jedi doing force push. Works well for me.

Jintor

By the way, you can change the options to show the HUD so you can see your score, if you like. You can also change it to turn off the cursor, which is odd.

Got all the way to the beauty boss and died, playing with kinect, 55 inch tv, and wireless headphones is an amazing experience. Switching to the left arm to shoot the purple objects feels so smooth. To me the game looks and sounds similar to rez but the gameplay feels differnt in a good way (with kinect)

Clunker

Agent Icebeezy said:
Amazing. I don't want to know how this feels without the Kinect. It feels so right to me.
Seriously. I started up tonight playing with Kinect, and the only downside is that I don't have any rumble. Tomorrow night I will be playing with a hoodie and one controller tucked into the hood on my back.

This game is so goddamned amazing, both as a sequel to Rez (which I still consider one of my favorites of all times and all generations) and as an actual full game for Kinect. For the "flick to fire," I found after some finagling that a side-arm swipe worked really well -- instead of pitching a baseball, try tossing a frisbee, only with your palm facing out, if that makes any sense. I definitely have some Wii Tennis Elbow-level soreness in my elbow, but I think that's just because I was getting so into the groove.

Child of Eden with Kinect feels like some kind of fevered sweat lodge dream of the future. It is the first thing I've really enjoyed with Kinect, and as a sequel to Rez so far it's jawdropping.

I've only played through the first 3 worlds but the game really is amazing and controls like a dream with Kinect, better than I thought it would. Not sure I like the music and visuals as much as Rez but that's just a matter of personal taste, it still looks incredible.

I had a couple controllers in my pockets for the vibration but I was having problems with them activating and turning off the Kinect so I had to take them out. =\

HOLOGRAPHIC SPACE WHALE!

Okay this game is amazing. I am a big fan of Rez and this really feels like Rez to the nth degree. The Kinect control is terrific and doesn't feel gimmicky at all, it's perfectly suited, almost as though Mizuguchi's style of gameplay and this controller were made for each other. By removing the controller and having you feel like you're interacting directly with the trippy shit on the screen it really takes the whole transcendent feel to the next level; this game makes you feel like some kind of Lawnmower Man cyber-Jesus. AWESOME. I think even more than Dance Central this is the game to convert Kinect skeptics into believers.

I played the first two archives then decided to take a break for tonight as I know the experience is short and really want to pace it out, even though I know the game will have a lot of replayability like Rez did.

And of course the music is beautiful, please tell me there is a soundtrack I can buy!

jlevel13

Played some more - through the first two levels... I feel like this is one of the greatest games I've ever played... possibly the greatest.

Gary Whitta said:
And of course the music is beautiful, please tell me there is a soundtrack I can buy!

The music is awesome but some of the transitions seemed awkward and didnt really flow. Maybe I wasnt conducting good enough :p

For some reason this game feels differnt than other kinect games. Its the only game I feel like I have actual control over. I got really into so much I started flinging my arms to the beat of the music thinking somthing would happen.......like light beams were gonna shoot at the enemies or some shit. Game sucks you.

saunderez

Jintor said:
By the way, you can change the options to show the HUD so you can see your score, if you like. You can also change it to turn off the cursor, which is odd.
Also there are multiple speeds for the reticule and multiple settings for movement smoothing. I tried changing the reticule to fast and it moves a long way with very little movement. Haven't had time to try out the various movement smoothing modes, default is set to Low.

Jintor

Gary Whitta said:
HOLOGRAPHIC SPACE WHALE!

Okay this game is amazing. I am a big fan of Rez and this really feels like Rez to the nth degree. The Kinect control is terrific and doesn't feel gimmicky at all, it's perfectly suited, almost as though Mizuguchi's style of gameplay and this controller were made for each other. By removing the controller and having you feel like you're interacting directly with the trippy shit on the screen it really takes the whole transcendent feel to the next level; this game makes you feel like some kind of Lawnmower Man cyber-Jesus. AWESOME. I think even more than Dance Central this is the game to convert Kinect skeptics into believers.

I played the first two archives then decided to take a break for tonight as I know the experience is short and really want to pace it out, even though I know the game will have a lot of replayability like Rez did.

most of the songs are from here, but the specific mixes you'll have to ask Q directly. Mind you a lot of it is elements that activate with the gameplay, so dunno how that would work as well.

Also, if you 100% purify an area the next area's visual style will change.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Got my first 5 star ranking! And over 800k achievement! All with a controller! See, controllers aren't bad! :)

I think I might play with the controller long term from this point forward

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
LiK said:
Damn you. Beat me to it!

Vibration + sound mixer FTW! Sound mixing = controller exclusive!

It's a shame there's no trance vibrator for this game. It's CRUCIAL to getting high scores, unless you're some kind of freak.

LiK

Wario64 said:
Vibration + sound mixer FTW! Sound mixing = controller exclusive!

It's a shame there's no trance vibrator for this game. It's CRUCIAL to getting high scores, unless you're some kind of freak.
Hook up a few more 360 controllers and put them in your pants. They serve as trance vibrators just like in Rez HD ;)

bycha

Eurogamer says:

"But once you've experienced the jaw-dropping sights on offer, the more gritty business of competition and completion begins. Within these parameters, Child of Eden is indisputably best played like Rez: with a controller. The accuracy of the analogue stick combined with the short jabbing motions required to switch between shot types make this a more precise, controlled experience."

The question is -- should i buy Kinect for it or play on a controller or wait for move version?

If it is not precise enough -- i would prefer something with buttons.

Top Bottom