• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child Of Eden |OT| of Amazing Visuals, Fantastic Music and Multi-Platform Bliss

LiK

Gary Whitta said:
Actually how DO you pause with Kinect? I never even tried that!

Also, I bought the Genki Rockets album and I like it but it doesn't really sound much like the in-game music, it must have been HEAVILY remixed. Please let them release an official game soundtrack with the remixed tracks!

the official Rez OST never sounded like the music in the game either. the game music you create is pretty much better than the official tracks.

Jeff-DSA

You jerkfaces (Gary most of all) are going to make me pick up a Kinect. I've been playing the game with a controller and loving it, but now I think it's probably worth experiencing with Kinect.

Gary Whitta said:
This will happen. This is one of those games that is so good you want to evangelize it as much as possible.

Also, I think that Eurogamer quote about the game being "indisputably better with a controller" might be bullshit. I haven't tried the controller yet but my guess is that the transcendent cyber-Jesus feel you get from the Kinect trumps the improved accuracy, unless your concern is less about a joyful experience and more about high score (and maybe that's where they are coming from).

that quote was taken out of context, this was pointed out two posts later

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Made it near the end of the 4th stage, died, and then stopped playing last nite... Freaking amazing game, some environments are absolutely jaw-dropping. I love the "quick laser" for firing down bullets with ease. My only complaint is that the music isn't as memorable as Rez so far.

bedlamite

Gary Whitta said:
Actually how DO you pause with Kinect? I never even tried that!
To pause the game using Kinect hold your left hand out with your palm facing the sensor at a 45 degree angle

and yes, weapon switching is seamless. All reports to the contrary are plainly wrong

LiK

djtiesto said:
Made it near the end of the 4th stage, died, and then stopped playing last nite... Freaking amazing game, some environments are absolutely jaw-dropping. I love the "quick laser" for firing down bullets with ease. My only complaint is that the music isn't as memorable as Rez so far.

4th stage last boss is pretty brutal. took me 3 retries to beat it.

bedlamite said:
To pause the game using Kinect hold your left hand out with your palm facing the sensor at a 45 degree angle

and yes, weapon switching is seamless. All reports to the contrary are plainly wrong

Can't you voice activate pause?

"Xbox Pause"

Surely more efficient than any motion.

Using the controller to pause is not viable not just because you'd have to pick it up but because it has probably turned itself off. There has to be a "pause pose".

bedlamite said:

So basically do a Hitler salute? :eek:

I will try that later, even though I haven't thought to pause the game once yet.

IJoel

Gary Whitta said:
Using the controller to pause is not viable not just because you'd have to pick it up but because it has probably turned itself off. There has to be a "pause pose".

I think there is. You have to extend your left hand to a 45 degree angle from your body.

Edit: Beaten!

LiK

Gary Whitta said:

I will try that later, even though I haven't thought to pause the game once yet.
Heil Xbox!

Aruarian Reflection said:
Did you listen to the Genki Rockets album you bought? This particular remixed song is in there along with a few others.....
Oh I didn't get to the remixes yet, they are at the end!

Gary Whitta said:
Haha not really... Middle part of the image is the pause gesture.

kinect-review-press-kinectleft-arm-control-2-rm-eng_600x338.jpg

bedlamite

Dead Man Typing said:
Can't you voice activate pause?

"Xbox Pause"

Surely more efficient than any motion.
I actually don't think you can use voice commands ingame to pause, no idea why that is, but yeah.

I'm seeing people misconstruing Eurogamer's opinion on Kinect for the game. I mean, does this sound like they're writing off Kinect in the game:

"If you want the full-body physical experience - feeling part of the music, sweeping your arms like a conductor in wide arcs that call the timpani section to action at your signal - then Kinect is the way to play Child of Eden...it's close to a transcendent experience, the kind you might have alone in a 2am club, or atop a mountain at sunrise with your headphones on."

They follow that up with the CAVEAT, that the controller will probably work better for score attacks since the gesture for smart bomb attacks are a bit imprecise.

entremet

So is Kinect the best way to experience this game? Can't believe I'm gonna 200 bucks when it is all said in done for this game. But I loved Rez.

Voice pausing in a Kinect game is theoretically possible but only if the devs put it in. My understanding is it burns up some processing power just to have the thing listening for it all the time.

Liberty4all

Banned
near said:
So there are no down sides to using a standard controller with this? :p

I'm on the verge of running outside to GAME before it closes!

I'm using a standard pad and having a blast. It's REZ man!

entrement said:
So is Kinect the best way to experience this game? Can't believe I'm gonna 200 bucks when it is all said in done for this game. But I loved Rez.
Both are viable.
From impressions here, there are people on both sides of the line. Playing with Kinect is very enjoyable and is almost a separate experience from playing with the controller, closer to 'synaesthesia'. It does tire out the arms after an hour or two.
It also seems you can get higher scores with the controller (they have separate leaderboards in the game depending on input).

I'm a little confused about how to use Euphoria - can I only use one when it appears on screen or any time so long as I have one in my inventory? When one appears on screen am I supposed to shoot it to add it to my store?

Teknoman

Ok I keep getting perfects, but its really on accident. How exactly do you time your attacks with the music? Release lock on in time with the beat vibration?

Gary Whitta said:
I'm a little confused about how to use Euphoria - can I only use one when it appears on screen or any time so long as I have one in my inventory? When one appears on screen am I supposed to shoot it to add it to my store?

When you see a dark purple sphere, shoot it to add Euphoria to your inventory. You can use it at any time though. Just think of it like picking up a bomb or grenade in any other game. Think you can hold a max of 3.

K' Dash

entrement said:

I tried it both ways, kinect is the way to go if you want the full experience, I can't believe the controls are so refined and almost lag free.

Beautiful game.

derFeef

This game is omazing. Yes, with an O.
Kinect works perfect. It spazzed out 3 times tough and gave me the message for no reason.

LiK

Gary Whitta said:
Its in your inventory when you grab it. Lower left of screen. They're just smart bombs.

Teknoman said:
Ok I keep getting perfects, but its really on accident. How exactly do you time your attacks with the music? Release lock on in time with the beat vibration

Yes let go of the RT when you fill up the whole attack right at the beat of the music (when the controller is about to rumble)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Regarding Kinect, does it completely eliminate the cursor lag present in every other Kinect software? You know, when you move your hand and the cursor doesn't respond immediately (like a mouse cursor). That disconnect always annoyed me, but I've heard good things about the targeting in this game and was wondering if that has been solved.

dark10x said:
Regarding Kinect, does it completely eliminate the cursor lag present in every other Kinect software? You know, when you move your hand and the cursor doesn't respond immediately (like a mouse cursor). That disconnect always annoyed me, but I've heard good things about the targeting in this game and was wondering if that has been solved.

It's light years ahead of the dashboard's Kinect accuracy, shockingly good.

soloscout

Neo Member
ultron87 said:
Best Buy had a copy! Yes! *really excited to get home from work*
Is it hard to come by or is selling out? I have a kinect, but won't be able to pick this up till next week... should I be worried about finding a copy?

goldenpp72

dark10x said:

Yep, it's even better when you go into the settings and adjust the speed and smoothness for your preference, I can't believe how well it works after struggling with the shitty dashboard/KS/sonic free riders menus.

ElNino

Jack Random said:
It's light years ahead of the dashboard's Kinect accuracy, shockingly good.
This was the first thing I noticed when I got to the main menu... how quick and accurately it tracks you.

The Lamonster said:
Totally getting this game but no way will I ever pay $50 for "90 minutes of gameplay."

You pay 50 bucks for an incredible experience, that's the difference.

But I can understand your point, since it perfectly makes sense. It's REZ 2 we're talking about, though.

StuBurns

Banned
The Lamonster said:
Totally getting this game but no way will I ever pay $50 for "90 minutes of gameplay."
I've played thru Rez like twenty times in the last ten years. Thirty hours of content!

Man, I want to get this game for the music alone. Ugh. Why do I have to be without a console right now.

I wonder if Q is planning on making a version for Vita or iPhone.

soloscout

Neo Member
LiK said:
Low print run from what I gather. One dude only found two at his Gamestop.
And only 16 available on Amazon as of this post. I better get my arse out to the store I guess, I don't want this to turn into another Radiant Historia hunt :D

LiK

soloscout said:
And only 16 available on Amazon as of this post. I better get my arse out to the store I guess, I don't want this to turn into another Radiant Historia hunt :D
That's Amazon's second shipment. Their initial shipment was sold out as well.

Damn this looks so good. It's all I can do not to watch any more footage, I want the experience as untainted as possible. I swear if this was / ends up - a kinect exclusive, I'm snapping one up.

This is the Kinect system seller, not Dance Central.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The Lamonster said:

I'm already at 4 hours game time, which I'm sure will reach hundreds more easily.

Top Bottom