• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child Of Eden |OT| of Amazing Visuals, Fantastic Music and Multi-Platform Bliss

Jintor said:
What do you prefer: high scores or a brain-bursting experience? (previous sentence contains slight hyperbole)
I always prefer experience over score. At least that's my excuse for never getting high scores at anything.

saunderez

goldenpp72 said:
What kinect setting is everyone using, I just switched to high speed and medium smoothing and it seems a lot nicer.
That's what I settled on last night but I didn't have a lot of time to test the other settings.

Jintor

The controller is more accurate (in that it will do what you want it to do) but you can't 'jump around' the screen nearly as fast as the Kinect allows you to.

Chocoboko

Did anyone in here submit a photo when Q entertainment was asking for them to put in the game? I didn't think much of it at the time but I feel like i missed out on something great now having played through the game. Still a very touching moment non the less. :(

fernoca

Gary Whitta said:
I always prefer experience over score. At least that's my excuse for never getting high scores at anything.
You and me both.
Same with Geometry Wars 2, Rez, and this (probably..when I get it..later this month). The visuals, sound, music, everything fits so well..that I don't mind if I end each stage with a low score, I just play it and replay it. :p

Anyone else get a lot of "Kinect failure" warnings? I just dismissed the warning and kept on playing, the sensor seemed to be working fine to me.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Gary Whitta said:
Anyone else get a lot of "Kinect failure" warnings? I just dismissed the warning and kept on playing, the sensor seemed to be working fine to me.

Yeah, I'm have the same thing happen often. Get warnings, but plays fine after dismissing it.

Jintor

0qKfzGD

Man, your twitter followers move fast

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Gary Whitta said:

Never seen that. I keep getting popups saying to take a break if I feel tired or sore. lol

That box art is funny, the twitter community works fast :)

I am really impressed with how good the Kinect control is, particularly with how seamlessly it distinguishes between my left and right hand as I switch off, even when they're occupying much the same space.

I started out the game just waving my hands around like a lunatic but once you get the hang of it it's possible to do some really finesse stuff. Clearing a whole wave of incoming bullets with the tracer just feels sooo good.

Magnus

People have sore arms? lol. I played about an hour and a half, and worked out another hour. Nothing to report, haha.

Jintor

What kind of conductor works sitting down? :T

Gary Whitta said:
That box art is funny, the twitter community works fast :)

I am really impressed with how good the Kinect control is, particularly with how seamlessly it distinguishes between my left and right hand as I switch off, even when they're occupying much the same space.

I started out the game just waving my hands around like a lunatic but once you get the hang of it it's possible to do some really finesse stuff. Clearing a whole wave of incoming bullets with the tracer just feels sooo good.

The more experienced you get with the game, the more you realise that just waving your arms around can be enough. You don't need to jankily point-stop-point-stop anymore; everything starts flowing in a manner that is just... beautiful. For tracer fire, anyway.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Magnus said:
People have sore arms? lol. I played about an hour and a half, and worked out another hour. Nothing to report, haha.

I have a sore wrist but it's mostly from having carpal tunnel in my right wrist so all the shooting is making it a bit sore. Although I'm taking breaks a lot.

Passion is kicking my ass though. Failed 3 times now.

Articalys

Okay, so let me see if I understand the general opinions here: I have a 360 but no Kinect, and I really loved Rez, so if I get this in my current state I'm still going to enjoy a great game, but with Kinect I would have a better experience?

AwShucks

I do have to say I am not a fan of needing stars to progress. It is probably only there to artificially extend the game, but I love playing through Rez straight through no break. I want to be able to do that here as well.

Jintor

StudioTan said:
I have a sore wrist but it's mostly from having carpal tunnel in my right wrist so all the shooting is making it a bit sore. Although I'm taking breaks a lot.

Passion is kicking my ass though. Failed 3 times now.

Focus on the birds before they launch the shitloads of projectiles in the gears... where are you losing most of your health?

Okay, so let me see if I understand the general opinions here: I have a 360 but no Kinect, and I really loved Rez, so if I get this in my current state I'm still going to enjoy a great game, but with Kinect I would have a better experience?

I believe so. On the balance of probabilities.

AwShucks said:
I do have to say I am not a fan of needing stars to progress. It is probably only there to artificially extend the game, but I love playing through Rez straight through no break. I want to be able to do that here as well.
When I didn't have enough stars to go from level 2 to level 3 I was actually happy because it meant I had an excuse to replay level 2 which is awesome :)

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Jintor said:
Focus on the birds before they launch the shitloads of projectiles in the gears... where are you losing most of your health?

I think that's where. The projectiles from the birds are what's killing me. I'll give it another go tomorrow.

Crisis

Banned
Articalys said:

I personally think so, yeah. There's no real way you can replicate the Kinect experience with this game. You can probably get a higher score with the controller but the controller is less fun or engaging if you want to call it that.

Not that MS needed it given the sales of Kinect so far but it's a shame this wasn't a launch title, I think it would have made believers out of a lot more people than even Dance Central did.

StudioTan

Articalys said:

In my opinion, yes. Especially if you have a decent sized TV. I feel very connected to the game playing it with Kinect.

My girlfriend saw me playing and asked if I was attacking them with magic LOL.

Jintor

StudioTan said:
I think that's where. The projectiles from the birds are what's killing me. I'll give it another go tomorrow.

Good luck! If you get too swamped, the tracer is very useful against everything at the cost of your point bonus.

StudioTan

Jintor said:
Good luck! If you get too swamped, the tracer is very useful against everything at the cost of your point bonus.

Yeah, that's why I'm avoiding using it.

Similarly on that note, how satisfying is it to throw your hands up and see everything blow up? Glorious! FEEL THE POWER!

StudioTan

Gary Whitta said:
Not that MS needed it given the sales of Kinect so far but it's a shame this wasn't a launch title, I think it would have made believers out of a lot more people than even Dance Central did.

I would agree except I have a feeling MS has improved the tracking since launch. This is way more responsive than the first demos we saw.

fernoca

alphaNoid said:
Wait .. is there a demo out on 360? wat

edit. What is this? Some kind of beta or something?
No demo. :p
The game was released (first) on Xbox 360 just today/yesterday depending on the region. :p

EDIT:
Late, but meh! :p

Special J

Banned
no moar clapping?

as far as latency goes i wouldnt be surprised if they improved the input.

take this video for example, notice how responsive it is, latency seems reasonably low. this demo shows mostly hand inputs so they might actually be using their api instead of full body tracking with ms api.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkjOPAwa-sg

Special J said:
no moar clapping?

None, just right hand for beat moves, left hand for rapid fire. Works exceedingly well.

Just don't don't over do it with the beat moves, or you could destroy the ligaments in your arm.

alphaNoid

Banned
So I've seen a few reviews that score it well? Wow.. thats refreshing. So whats the verdict on GAF? I read some post about it being tiring but thats a-ok with me. For me this is a drink my ass off, stand up and wig the shit out to music, visuals and motion control video game.

$50 is a bit pricey for little replay, so I'm wanting to hold off for a sale but should I? I have a $50 AMEX card sitting on my desk staring at me... taunting me. :lol

golem

alphaNoid said:
So I've seen a few reviews that score it well? Wow.. thats refreshing. So whats the verdict on GAF? I read some post about it being tiring but thats a-ok with me. For me this is a drink my ass off, stand up and wig the shit out to music, visuals and motion control video game.

$50 is a bit pricey for little replay, so I'm wanting to hold off for a sale but should I? I have a $50 AMEX card sitting on my desk staring at me... taunting me. :lol
$40 at TRU

alphaNoid said:

Considering Amazon sold out already and most places only got a few copies, better get it sooner than later.

And if you go back through the thread, it's been overwhelmingly positive.

Teknoman

This game is amazing with a controller (fan of Rez and Panzer Dragoon) but I bet its incredible with the kinect...

And now I kinda want one :(

Euphoria should be activated by a finger snap.

Jintor said:
What kind of conductor works sitting down? :T

The more experienced you get with the game, the more you realise that just waving your arms around can be enough. You don't need to jankily point-stop-point-stop anymore; everything starts flowing in a manner that is just... beautiful. For tracer fire, anyway.

So you cant sit down and play? dont understand why you would need to stand when it only uses your hands?.

d0c_zaius

SCHUEY F1 said:
Yeah, I'm have the same thing happen often. Get warnings, but plays fine after dismissing it.

yea I got this 3 times as well.

kinda annoying, especially since theres no actual problem

feel

Wow, very positive impressions around here, will add it to my Amazon cart. Should be really fun with kinect.

Top Bottom