• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child Of Eden |OT| of Amazing Visuals, Fantastic Music and Multi-Platform Bliss

I'm debating whether I should pick this up and whether I should buy a Kinect or just play it with a controller and everyone seems to be split on which method is better. No help! I am a fan of Rez so...This is a tough decision. My biggest fear is that I'll never really use Kinect again if I buy it.

Gary Whitta said:
Anyone else get a lot of "Kinect failure" warnings? I just dismissed the warning and kept on playing, the sensor seemed to be working fine to me.

Same here.

I slept on it.

I think I might try to tweak my "Kinect facial recognition" when I get him. I think that might be the cause for the warnings.

derFeef

bigdaddygamebot said:
Same here.

I slept on it.

I think I might try to tweak my "Kinect facial recognition" when I get him. I think that might be the cause for the warnings.
Don't think so, you do not need the facial recognition or non-IR stuff during gameplay in most cases. Tried calibrating with the smiley card, yet?

Special J said:
no moar clapping?

as far as latency goes i wouldnt be surprised if they improved the input.

take this video for example, notice how responsive it is, latency seems reasonably low. this demo shows mostly hand inputs so they might actually be using their api instead of full body tracking with ms api.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkjOPAwa-sg

I changed the option to the clapping to swap. I'm enjoying it more than using both arms.

derFeef said:
Don't think so, you do not need the facial recognition or non-IR stuff during gameplay in most cases. Tried calibrating with the smiley card, yet?

Good suggestion.

I'll bust out Kinect Adventures with the card tonight. :) I hadn't used the Kinect in months and months so it's probably gotten wonky or something.

Bamelin said:
no worries hitoribhoshi. I think he understood you but was shocked you cried. I'm not. If any game is going to evoke an emotional response it's this one. On par with Flower in that sense ....

that's another difference between this and Rez 1. Child of Eden is a much more emotional experience.

oh, I see, well, yeah, it's not like I cry at all at movies or while games, but with this game at some point, I mean if you play on a big screen, turn the volume up, and are really into it, I guess you'll blink less because what's happening on screen is incredible, if you add to that the beauty of what's on screen plus the entrancing music that's been building up for a few minutes and that fits perfectly what's on screen, yeah it can be a bit emotional or overwehlming (in a good way!^^) (I'm playing with the controller as I don't own a kinect yet so maybe that makes me a bit more passive in that gaming experience than kinect players?)

Anyways, I'm so glad this game happened, especially the way it did, because I'm a huge fan of Rez, but this game is so much more in every ways, I mean if you don't like this game, I guess you don't like life or something lol

LiK>oh, yeah, forgot to mention that, those would be tears of joy obviously ^^ (might not be obvious for those who haven't played the game yet)

Zeouterlimits said:
\o/
Miz on next 8-4 podcast!

2km1q.jpg
Will listen.

near

Gold Member
ToyMachine228 said:
I'm debating whether I should pick this up and whether I should buy a Kinect or just play it with a controller and everyone seems to be split on which method is better. No help! I am a fan of Rez so...This is a tough decision. My biggest fear is that I'll never really use Kinect again if I buy it.

Same. Except I have no intention of buying Kinect, I'm just waiting for impressions from people who are playing it with a normal controller. :(

Nemesis_

Are there any tips peopel can give to get me some better scores? I'm finding it hard to do better than four stars. =/

Great game so far though, too scared to move on from the first level, I don't want it to end!

near said:
Same. Except I have no intention of buying Kinect, I'm just waiting for impressions from people who are playing it with a normal controller.
I completed all of the archives last night using the standard controller. I've no interest in Kinect at all and am a HUGE, HUGE fan of Rez and practically everything Miziguchi has put to a game disc. So there was no question I was buying this. ;)

Frankly, it's an incredible experience even on a standard gamepad. The visuals, music and gameplay combine to form a perfect synthesis of emotion, eye candy and interactivity. Truthfully this is an experience more than just a game you play through to its conclusion and it's fucking brilliant. I'd prefer to be at home playing it right now than sitting at work.:(

If there was any justice in the world, Child of Eden would be selling millions of copies.

Hitoribhoshi said:
if you add to that the beauty of what's on screen plus the entrancing music that's been building up for a few minutes and that fits perfectly what's on screen, yeah it can be a bit emotional or overwehlming
I think the Joystiq review put it very well. It's stirring more than outright emotional in the sense of crying at a movie, etc. If you let yourself get caught up in the experience, it can be quite affecting. Much like listening to any good piece of music...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Wee, just 5 star ranked the 2nd level (Evolution). #4 on the controller leaderboards for now.

Speaking of leaderboard data, look at this huge difference in Kinect/Controllers for the first level on normal difficulty:

3569 (Kinect) vs 1767 (controller)

StuBurns

Banned
Wario64 said:
Wee, just 5 star ranked the 2nd level (Evolution). #4 on the controller leaderboards for now.

Speaking of leaderboard data, look at this huge difference in Kinect/Controllers for the first level on normal difficulty:

3569 (Kinect) vs 1767 (controller)
Is that number of scores, the highest scores of each?

near

Gold Member
Futurevoid said:
I completed all of the archives last night using the standard controller. I've no interest in Kinect at all and am a HUGE, HUGE fan of Rez and practically everything Miziguchi has put to a game disc. So there was no question I was buying this. ;)

Frankly, it's an incredible experience even on a standard gamepad. The visuals, music and gameplay combine to form a perfect synthesis of emotion, eye candy and interactivity. Truthfully this is an experience more than just a game you play through to its conclusion and it's fucking brilliant. I'd prefer to be at home playing it right now than sitting at work.:(

If there was any justice in the world, Child of Eden would be selling millions of copies.

So there are no down sides to using a standard controller with this? :p

I'm on the verge of running outside to GAME before it closes!

near said:

I am too but I'm also kind of thinking of waiting for a price drop as Shadows of the Damned hits next week and I kind of want to save as much money as possible as I'm looking at buying a house. And all the stuff that comes with owning a house. God damn decisions!

Sullichin

near said:

I've beaten the first four levels with a controller (don't have Kinect). It controls beautifully. It was a bit awkward at first to put myself "on top" of the targets, but then again I might have been under the influence of a certain psychedelic substance ;P

Chocoboko said:
Did anyone in here submit a photo when Q entertainment was asking for them to put in the game? I didn't think much of it at the time but I feel like i missed out on something great now having played through the game. Still a very touching moment non the less. :(
I tried but their site never worked, I could never upload anything.

near

Gold Member
ToyMachine228 said:
I am too but I'm also kind of thinking of waiting for a price drop as Shadows of the Damned hits next week and I kind of want to save as much money as possible as I'm looking at buying a house. And all the stuff that comes with owning a house. God damn decisions!

My bet is that SotD is going to get a price drop quicker than CoE will. EA don't seem to be pushing it all too much with very little marketing to it being none existent. I'll pre-order my copy of CoE now since it's coming out Friday over here! :p

I've beaten the first four levels with a controller (don't have Kinect). It controls beautifully. It was a bit awkward at first to put myself "on top" of the targets, but then again I might have been under the influence of a certain psychedelic substance ;P

So glad it plays well with a standard controller, I'm certainly getting this day one. :p

derFeef

Gotit! The back cover is beautiful. Hope I can test it out today.

The "better with Kinect" badge in German translates literally "Kinect-sensor recommended". Never noticed that.

Sullichin

I can't praise this game enough, but I wish it had more levels for $50, is all. I know I will come back to these levels again and again, though.

Chocoboko said:
Did anyone in here submit a photo when Q entertainment was asking for them to put in the game? I didn't think much of it at the time but I feel like i missed out on something great now having played through the game. Still a very touching moment non the less. :(
I did, a photo of my girlfriend and I. Would be a huge boon if we were in it, but the chances are slim.

near said:
Same. Except I have no intention of buying Kinect, I'm just waiting for impressions from people who are playing it with a normal controller. :(

as Futurevoid said, it's really good with the controller.
I have yet to play it with kinect, but for now, at least for me it feels exactly like Rez, a "core gamer"(I don't like that word much though) experience, like a complete experience with the controller. (I'm not sure kinect player will be able to play for score for instance, I might be wrong though; but kinect might and is expected to let you enjoy the game in another way, I guess)

Yuterald

This game looks so hot. I wish there was a date for the PS3 version. I'm holding out until then. Glad to hear impressions are positive.

LiK

Yuterald said:
This game looks so hot. I wish there was a date for the PS3 version. I'm holding out until then. Glad to hear impressions are positive.
Confirmed for September

jlevel13

near said:

I tried both methods and definitely prefer it with the controller over kinect, for the more precise control (for me, easier and quicker to switch shot types and easier to aim & I just felt more "in control" w/ the 360 controller and a little too vague & disconnected using kinect) and added vibration (makes a big difference). I don't think there's a downside. Get running!

Doodis

Eurogamer says:

"But once you've experienced the jaw-dropping sights on offer, the more gritty business of competition and completion begins. Within these parameters, Child of Eden is indisputably best played like Rez: with a controller. The accuracy of the analogue stick combined with the short jabbing motions required to switch between shot types make this a more precise, controlled experience."

It's statements like this that make you realize that the whole "controller vs. Kinect" argument is a bit ridiculous. It all comes down to what kind of experience you want to have. Would you rather make short jabbing motions with your fingers, or wave your arms and hands around?

Sure, it's faster to make short jabbing motions, and that's what most gamers are used to, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a better experience within the context of the game. It's just different. It's all just an arbitrarily abstract motion, no matter how you slice it.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Amir0x said:
i am shocked

can't wait for the PS3 version. Rez is so amazing for a connoisseur of the psychadelic arts

Way to ignore the other part of that review since it didn't match your expectations:

Eurogamer said:
If you want the full-body physical experience - feeling part of the music, sweeping your arms like a conductor in wide arcs that call the timpani section to action at your signal - then Kinect is the way to play Child of Eden.

The part where they say you should play with a controller is AFTER you have played it numerous times with Kinect and are only concerned about getting a high score. Most other reviews say Kinect is the best way to play.

Joystiq said:
The proud progenitors of the Kinect bolstered its capacity for total immersion during its announcement, but no software for the device has delivered on that promise until now. When you reach this level of connection with each stunning stage of Child of Eden, the walls between player and game come crumbling down. It's more than just synesthesia -- it's an indescribable feeling of involvement which no other video game has elicited from me before.

okenny

Banned
Wario64 said:
Got my first 5 star ranking! And over 800k achievement! All with a controller! See, controllers aren't bad! :)

I think I might play with the controller long term from this point forward

No one is saying controllers are bad. It's the freaks that keep saying Kinect shouldn't exist that need to calm down!

feel

ToyMachine228 said:
The upcoming xbox metroUI dashboard will make great use of it too, moving around the interface with hand motions like a jedi or giving your xbox all kind of voice orders is pretty damn cool and should be unobtrusive, even if you don't plan on using it for other games, there's always that dashboard stuff.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm very tempted to pick this up, but the Kinect stuff has me second guessing. I don't want Kinect and my room doesn't support it properly, but not having it makes me feeling like I'm missing out on something with this game.

I would like to play it with Move, but I'm disappointed by the PS3 delay. I'm sure it plays well with a controller, but it seems better suited to a pointing device of some sort.

LiK

dark10x said:
I'm very tempted to pick this up, but the Kinect stuff has me second guessing. I don't want Kinect and my room doesn't support it properly, but not having it makes me feeling like I'm missing out on something with this game.

I would like to play it with Move, but I'm disappointed by the PS3 delay. I'm sure it plays well with a controller, but it seems better suited to a pointing device of some sort.

plays fine with controller. you can always get Kinect later when it goes on sale.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
LiK said:
plays fine with controller. you can always get Kinect later when it goes on sale.
I can't, though. The way I designed my theater makes Kinect very difficult to hook-up and use.

LiK

dark10x said:
I can't, though. The way I designed my theater makes Kinect very difficult to hook-up and use.

oh ok, i'm sure playing with Kinect has its own perks but i had fun playing with the controller.

bedlamite

Playing the game with a controller will probably get you better scores. Playing the game with Kinect is more involving, and possibly more fun. That's really all that needs to be said about controller vs Kinect discussions

Also, once again, there'll be a wide-angle lens attachment coming out soon that should fix space issues

Phreaker

LiK said:
Hook up a few more 360 controllers and put them in your pants. They serve as trance vibrators just like in Rez HD ;)

I tried this but it seemed each time the analog stick got moved it reverted it back to gamepad control!?

Muffdraul

ToyMachine228 said:

I'm a huge fan or Rez (and Panzer Dragoon) and I'm loving the shit out of Child of Eden via regular controller. I'm sure it's a very cool fresh experience to play it via Kinect, but I don't own one, so I'll worry about that later. If you were into Rez, you should have no problem playing this with a controller.

Clunker

If there were any justice in this world, "trancey synesthesiac rail shooters" would become the next mainstream, strip-mined game genre after Spec Ops-fetishist first-person shooters and Angry Birds clones.

I only got to finish the Beauty zone last night before getting exhausted and needing to go to bed, but my afternoon meeting got canceled, so I am going to go home and play Space Jesus for a little while more!

I think what Wario64 said about getting two games in one is absolutely right. Once I'm done playing with Kinect I'm going to go back and do it all again with the controller and it's going to feel like a different, more conventional Rez-style (but still awesome) experience.

LOVE THIS GAME SO MUCH, it's a lock for my 2011 Top 3.

LiK

Gary Whitta said:
I think what Wario64 said about getting two games in one is absolutely right. Once I'm done playing with Kinect I'm going to go back and do it all again with the controller and it's going to feel like a different, more conventional Rez-style (but still awesome) experience.

LOVE THIS GAME SO MUCH, it's a lock for my 2011 Top 3.

i hope you pimp the shit outta this game on next Tested podcast.

LiK said:
i hope you pimp the shit outta this game on next Tested podcast.
This will happen. This is one of those games that is so good you want to evangelize it as much as possible.

Also, I think that Eurogamer quote about the game being "indisputably better with a controller" might be bullshit. I haven't tried the controller yet but my guess is that the transcendent cyber-Jesus feel you get from the Kinect trumps the improved accuracy, unless your concern is less about a joyful experience and more about high score (and maybe that's where they are coming from).

The change over is rarely smooth as the reticule jolts and the camera gets dragged slightly if one hand falls to your side before the other is in play. It can really put you off your stride and, more importantly, makes you more aware of the game rather than immersed. Scratch your nose when you're playing and it's all over.
Oh fuck off CVG. I never had a problem with hand-switching, one of my earlier comments was how well this worked. You just bring your other hand in before removing the one you're currently using. And scratching your nose? When I'm playing this game all I am aware of is The Archive and my own digital soul as it becomes infused with it. I cannot scratch my nose if I am not aware of it.

THERE IS NO NOSE.

LiK

Gary Whitta said:
Oh fuck off CVG. I never had a problem with hand-switching, one of my earlier comments was how well this worked. You just bring your other hand in before removing the one you're currently using. And scratching your nose? When I'm playing this game all I am aware of is The Archive and my own digital soul as it becomes infused with it. I cannot scratch my nose if I am not aware of it.

THERE IS NO NOSE.

yea, i watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look and switching reticules was super smooth. scratching nose seems like a weird excuse. they can pause right?

Actually how DO you pause with Kinect? I never even tried that!

Also, I bought the Genki Rockets album and I like it but it doesn't really sound much like the in-game music, it must have been HEAVILY remixed. Please let them release an official game soundtrack with the remixed tracks!

Top Bottom