• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child Of Eden |OT| of Amazing Visuals, Fantastic Music and Multi-Platform Bliss

Appollowexx said:
Damn this looks so good. It's all I can do not to watch any more footage, I want the experience as untainted as possible. I swear if this was / ends up - a kinect exclusive, I'm snapping one up.

This is the Kinect system seller, not Dance Central.
Unfortunately the game is too niche and shipping in too small amounts to really be a killer app and get mainstream attention. There's no push behind it at all, a bunch of dedicated gamers in this thread (me included) didn't even know it was out this week!

Dance Central is still the mainstream Kinect standard-bearer IMO.

Gary Whitta said:
Unfortunately the game is too niche and shipping in too small amounts to really be a killer app and get mainstream attention. Dance Central is still the mainstream Kinect standard-bearer IMO.
Yup, and it's a shame because if this game had (has?) a casual mode, I'd bet a good deal of non gamer types, would have a great deal of fun with it. What with it's trippy, dreamlike visuals and calming music.

soloscout

Neo Member
Gary Whitta said:
Unfortunately the game is too niche and shipping in too small amounts to really be a killer app and get mainstream attention. There's no push behind it at all, a bunch of dedicated gamers in this thread (me included) didn't even know it was out this week!

Like for instance when you go to GS's homepage right now it's not mentioned anywhere at all :(

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
dark10x said:
Regarding Kinect, does it completely eliminate the cursor lag present in every other Kinect software? You know, when you move your hand and the cursor doesn't respond immediately (like a mouse cursor). That disconnect always annoyed me, but I've heard good things about the targeting in this game and was wondering if that has been solved.

Yes, it's very snappy and responsive. I noticed the difference right away in the main menu. I'm not going to say there is NO lag but I certainly don't feel any while playing.

Appollowexx said:
Yup, and it's a shame because if this game had (has?) a casual mode, I'd bet a good deal of non gamer types, would have a great deal of fun with it. What with it's trippy, dreamlike visuals and calming music.
It does have a casual mode where you can just explore Eden without getting killed.

StuBurns

Banned
Appollowexx said:
Rez had a traveling mode, but you had to beat it to unlock it, and it didn't include Area 5.

Abooie

Banned
Amir0x said:
i am shocked

can't wait for the PS3 version.

Oh c'mon, this sounds like the post from someone that had made their mind up before any reviews then cherry picked a quote to back up this stance.

LiK

Prophet Steve said:
Is there a lot of post game content like in Rez (HD)? Would be interesting if true, not very important though.
Not gonna spoil what it is but yes. Unlockables ftw.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Loving this score system. Ranked #3 on Matrix, hard controller. Almost hit a million points!

I dont think I can go back and play Rez the same anymore. Always gonna listen to the beat now, lol

derFeef

I am nailing the perfects better with Kinect, weird. I am not a score hunter, but it does feel good to nail it several times in a row.

RedSwirl

This game is a lot harder than Rez. I don't have a Kinect so I'm using a regular controller, and I can only get three stars on most levels. Actually died on the fourth level.

Curufinwe

Gary Whitta said:

That and you don't need the Kinect to play it, and it'll be on the PS3 fairly soon so it's not even an exclusive 360 title.

ToyBroker

Banned
Abooie said:
Oh c'mon, this sounds like the post from someone that had made their mind up before any reviews then cherry picked a quote to back up this stance.

I'm waiting for the PS3 version too. Move ftwinz.

Abooie said:
Well he had, he said he's getting the PS3 version in the first reply to the thread.

StuBurns

Banned
Having seen a little of the intro, any word on if the FMV will be higher quality on PS3? What about 3D? Not sure I care about Move right now, but I think it'd be pretty much the most amazing 3D game ever.

StuBurns said:
Having seen a little of the intro, any word on if the FMV will be higher quality on PS3? What about 3D? Not sure I care about Move right now, but I think it'd be pretty much the most amazing 3D game ever.
3D has been hinted at for the PS3:

Miz said:
"It's really immersive to make a 3D experience for the game but we haven't announced it yet. Sony has [support for] 3D glasses and the Move Controller on PS3 but we haven't announced it.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/297954/child-of-eden-ps3-set-for-3d-support/

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Zeouterlimits said:
Well he had, he said he's getting the PS3 version in the first reply to the thread.

He was talking about his sarcastic "I am shocked" comment after cherry picking the one line in the review that said the controller was the best choice, ignoring that they were talking about best choice for score hunting. The same review said if you want the full experience the best choice was to play with Kinect. Not to mention that MANY reviewers preferred the Kinect controls.

StuBurns

Banned
StudioTan said:
He was talking about his sarcastic "I am shocked" comment after cherry picking the one line in the review that said the controller was the best choice, ignoring that they were talking about best choice for score hunting. The same review said if you want the full experience the best choice was to play with Kinect. Not to mention that MANY reviewers preferred the Kinect controls.
No, the review did not say that.

I would double dip for a PS3 version with 3D. I couldn't care less about motion control but I can see this being amazing in 3D on my Panny plasma.

Oh and I absolutely LOVE the song that plays over the last section just prior to the credits where you're
converting the branches on the tree into pictures
I believe it's called "Flow". There is a Child of Eden remix of it available on Amazon I'm going to download. Hopefully that's the one.

Wario64 said:
Anyone think they were trying to aim for a XBLA release, hence the small install size?

I think Microsoft hare forcing things behind the scenes with both this and The Gunslinger been retail games

StudioTan

StuBurns said:
No, the review did not say that.

Eurogamer said:
If you want the full-body physical experience - feeling part of the music, sweeping your arms like a conductor in wide arcs that call the timpani section to action at your signal - then Kinect is the way to play Child of Eden. With the lights down low and the right ambiance and mind-set, it's a dance-like experience - but not in the orthodox video game understanding of Simon-says rhythm-action routines.

Rather, you move with the light and music and as the chords rise wave after heightening wave; it's close to a transcendent experience, the kind you might have alone in a 2am club, or atop a mountain at sunrise with your headphones on.
This entire quote is regarding playing it with Kinect. Then he says:
Eurogamer said:
But once you've experienced the jaw-dropping sights on offer, the more gritty business of competition and completion begins. Within these parameters, Child of Eden is indisputably best played like Rez: with a controller.

So playing with Kinect is close to transcendental but when you want to go for high scores, use the controller.

StuBurns

Banned
When it was announced last E3 the Ubisoft webstore had it listed as full retail. I don't think MS pushed anything.

StudioTan said:
So playing with Kinect is close to transcendental but when you want to go for high scores, use the controller.
So, it doesn't say 'the full experience', like I said.

Keyser Soze said:
I think Microsoft hare forcing things behind the scenes with both this and The Gunslinger been retail games
That would be a dick move, not every Kinect game needs to be at retail to succeed.

Amir0x

Banned
Alx said:
My general impression, based on those and the different feedbacks here, is that (no surprise) the control is tighter with a controller, but the experience is richer with motion.

good because I don't want an "experience", I don't want to experience Nirvana, I don't want a spiritual or religious release. I want to play a VIDEOGAME in the best possible, most precise, efficient, least laggy skill-based way. No substitutions! And if you throw in some trippy drugs with that, all the better.

Can't wait. Its September release on PS3 is the only unfair part of this release.

derFeef

Keyser Soze said:
I think this game was always meant to be retail. I was looking forward to Gunstringer though, hope they really add stuff as it comes in September now :/

Amir0x said:
Can't wait. It's September release on PS3 is the only unfair part of this release.

You could get the 360 version and play it with a controller, since you own a 360 (at least that's what I remember).

Being a fan of REZ and mizuguchi, I'd want the game as soon as possible.

StudioTan

Neuromancer said:

3D for this game would definitely rock big time.

I'm not sure how I feel about using Move though. When I'm playing it with Kinect I'm not worried about having to keep my hand pointed at the screen in the way I would holding a wand. It's very freeform and I'm making sweeping gestures with my hands. Somehow I think I would feel constrained having to use the wand as a laser pointer.

StudioTan

StuBurns said:
When it was announced last E3 the Ubisoft webstore had it listed as full retail. I don't think MS pushed anything.

So, it doesn't say 'the full experience', like I said.

That was me paraphrasing. The fact he said "full-body experience" in the review was coincidence. Sorry for the confusion.

Amir0x

Banned
metareferential said:
You could get the 360 version and play it with a controller, since you own a 360 (at least that's what I remember).

Being a fan of REZ and mizuguchi, I'd want the game as soon as possible.

i am probably the biggest Rez fan on Earth but i don't want to send the wrong message by putting money toward a Kinect product. Only when there are no other options for a game I want will I suffer it, like with Forza 4.

StudioTan

Amir0x said:
good because I don't want an "experience", I don't want to experience Nirvana, I don't want a spiritual or religious release. I want to play a VIDEOGAME in the best possible, most precise, efficient, least laggy skill-based way. No substitutions! And if you throw in some trippy drugs with that, all the better.

Can't wait. Its September release on PS3 is the only unfair part of this release.

Fair enough, but the sarcasm is still unwarranted.

I don't see how playing with Kinect makes this any less a videogame. Why do you have such a narrow view of what constitutes a game?

StuBurns

Banned
StudioTan said:
That was me paraphrasing. The fact he said "full-body experience" in the review was coincidence. Sorry for the confusion.
Oh I see, because the exact same thing happened the previous page, I thought you were referring to that, my apologizes.

I'd like try it with Kinect, alone, late at night in the dark, really loud. I imagine it's great. My own experience with it and Kinect was pretty crap, but it wasn't under those conditions certainly.

Wario64 said:
Anyone think they were trying to aim for a XBLA release, hence the small install size?

I think this is partially going to hurt the game. Outside of the people who cast it aside because of the "$50 for TWO HOURS?" argument, Rez is available for $10. Granted, Child of Eden is the spiritual successor and is Kinect compatible but I really think misconceptions and comparisons like that will hurt the game. As if it needed any more sales problems.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Amazing game.

My only gripe is the intro was like a Summer's Eve feminine hygiene commercial. Actually, I'd go so far to say that it wasn't like one, it actually was one. I wouldn't be surprised if they hired the same ad agency to make it.

goldenpp72

Amir0x said:
i am probably the biggest Rez fan on Earth but i don't want to send the wrong message by putting money toward a Kinect product. Only when there are no other options for a game I want will I suffer it, like with Forza 4.

You don't even deserve to be in this thread, this game rocks with and without kinect, you can send the right message by simply not using kinect and being tracked on a leaderboard as a controller user.

Jesus, there is no reason not to own this game if you own the system unless you dislike rez, I expected rez lite, I got rez 2. This is a great GAME with kinect and finally showcases the device can be used for precision and a new experience, i can't stand this i'm 60 when I was your age we played games using sticks mentality, and I'm about as hardcore a gamer as one can get -_- You are by far one of the most close minded people I have ever encountered on a forum.

Amir0x said:

Oh, that's why.

I can't say I'm with you on this, but I get your point, I guess it makes sense (even though it's a lost cause). Good thing is that it's not going to impact CoE sales, since you'll be getting it anyway.

But I'll never resist the temptation xD

And besides, I'm really looking forward to - finally - get use of my Kinect.

atomsk

Party Pooper
played through half a stage with Kinect, said fuck that noise, and played through the rest with a controllers

so so so amazing

Amir0x

Banned
goldenpp72 said:
You don't even deserve to be in this thread, this game rocks with and without kinect, you can send the right message by simply not using kinect and being tracked on a leaderboard as a controller user.

Jesus, there is no reason not to own this game if you own the system unless you dislike rez, I expected rez lite, I got rez 2. This is a great GAME with kinect and finally showcases the device can be used for precision and a new experience, i can't stand this i'm 60 when I was your age we played games using sticks mentality, and I'm about as hardcore a gamer as one can get -_-

are you guys gonna derail with this seriously? I won't support games with such massively regressive controls. It's just the principle of the thing. I'm getting the game on PS3, Miz will be fine.

Thought about this game all day at work today, I might sound crazy but I felt like I was in a better mood than I have been in awhile and I think it has to do with me playing this game last night. The music and visuals just put me in a good mood.

Amir0x said:
are you guys gonna derail with this seriously? I won't support games with such massively regressive controls. It's just the principle of the thing. I'm getting the game on PS3, Miz will be fine.

Confused as you can use kinect or the controller on the 360 version. Wouldnt the regressive controls be in the ps3 version?

Top Bottom