• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child Of Eden |OT| of Amazing Visuals, Fantastic Music and Multi-Platform Bliss

StuBurns

Banned
Amir0x said:
i am probably the biggest Rez fan on Earth but i don't want to send the wrong message by putting money toward a Kinect product. Only when there are no other options for a game I want will I suffer it, like with Forza 4.
That's some masochistic self-restraint.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
StuBurns said:
Oh I see, because the exact same thing happened the previous page, I thought you were referring to that, my apologizes.

I'd like try it with Kinect, alone, late at night in the dark, really loud. I imagine it's great. My own experience with it and Kinect was pretty crap, but it wasn't under those conditions certainly.

Maybe it was subconscious! :p

Anyway, this is interesting from the Gamespy review:

Gamespy said:
With a controller, Child of Eden remains a wholly enthralling game, as the rhythmic shooting action -- in which you guide a cursor to blast waves of flying foes -- and thoroughly dazzling visuals and sound design capture you in a way that few other games can.

Gamespy said:
That changed significantly once I switched over to Kinect. Child of Eden absolutely comes to life as an interactive experience with motion controls....With Kinect, it's easier to shoot down entire waves of missiles, plus the whole game takes on a surprisingly amplified tenor thanks to the steady physical interaction. By the end of each stage, I was tapping my feet like a madman and shaking to the beat, as if the virtual energy beams I fired from my hands were still pulsing through my body.

FWIW I was playing it in the dark with the music blaring. It was fun. I wouldn't let past experiences with Kinect prevent you from at least trying it.

goldenpp72

Amir0x said:
are you guys gonna derail with this seriously? I won't support games with such massively regressive controls. It's just the principle of the thing. I'm getting the game on PS3, Miz will be fine.

You haven't played it, the controls are MORE fun with kinect, not worse, I would rather use kinect with this game than to use a controller because it's fast, precise and MORE fun. This isn't like trying to struggle a play session of halo using shitty kinect controls, this is the real deal and it works beautifully, but someone as close minded as you will never give it the chance.

Of all the reasons people will not buy this game, too short, I didn't like rez, your reason is by far the worst of all because it doesn't even hold merit due to close minded views. I'm a gamer who beat NG2 on all the hardest modes, I play dozens of games a year across all ranges, and I can say that kinect is USUALLY laggy, unresponsive and fickle to a point you have to work with it just for it to function, COE is great because finally something simply works perfectly with the device with little calibration. One of the reasons i'm loving this game is because it finally shows kinect is not only a different way to play, but it can be more fun on a game that uses traditional controls as well. I don't expect this to occur often, but it feels good that it finally did.

StuBurns

Banned
StudioTan said:
FWIW I was playing it in the dark with the music blaring. It was fun. I wouldn't let past experiences with Kinect prevent you from at least trying it.
My only experience with Kinect is with CoE. I thought it was no where near responsive enough, it felt like virtually dragging the reticule, not it tracking me.

It's strange I'm reading so many claims about it being dance-like or whatever, the first Rez was always like that for me anyway. I can't imagine someone sitting perfectly still playing it.

I will eventually play thru it on Kinect I'm sure.

Kud Dukan

goldenpp72 said:
You haven't played it, the controls are MORE fun with kinect, not worse, I would rather use kinect with this game than to use a controller because it's fast, precise and MORE fun. This isn't like trying to struggle a play session of halo using shitty kinect controls, this is the real deal and it works beautifully, but someone as close minded as you will never give it the chance.

Of all the reasons people will not buy this game, too short, I didn't like rez, your reason is by far the worst of all because it doesn't even hold merit due to close minded views. I'm a gamer who beat NG2 on all the hardest modes, I play dozens of games a year across all ranges, and I can say that kinect is USUALLY laggy, unresponsive and fickle to a point you have to work with it just for it to function, COE is great because finally something simply works perfectly with the device with little calibration. One of the reasons i'm loving this game is because it finally shows kinect is not only a different way to play, but it can be more fun on a game that uses traditional controls as well. I don't expect this to occur often, but it feels good that it finally did.

Excellent post...I completely agree.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
StuBurns said:
My only experience with Kinect is with CoE. I thought it was no where near responsive enough, it felt like virtually dragging the reticule, not it tracking me.

It's strange I'm reading so many claims about it being dance-like or whatever, the first Rez was always like that for me anyway. I can't imagine someone sitting perfectly still playing it.

I will eventually play thru it on Kinect I'm sure.

Oh, I misread sorry. Did you play it an early version? It seems like the Kinect controls have improved in terms of precision since the initial demos.

Alx

Amir0x said:
good because I don't want an "experience", I don't want to experience Nirvana, I don't want a spiritual or religious release. I want to play a VIDEOGAME in the best possible, most precise, efficient, least laggy skill-based way. No substitutions! And if you throw in some trippy drugs with that, all the better.

The quality of a game is not necessarily measured by precision, efficiency, lag. I understand that it's something that is dear to you, but please stop considering that other elements cannot be considered relevant of the quality of a VIDEOGAME.

I think that it's not too far-fetched to consider that the only universal "measuring stick" of the quality of a game is entertainment, because that's the only reason we play games : to entertain ourselves. It can be achieved by story, graphics, tight gameplays, music, all kinds of emotions and many other things and their combinations.
Of course evaluating how entertaining a game is is very subjective, and that's why there's no universal truth of what should or shouldn't be used to make a game entertaining.
From my opinion, the "experience" from Mizuguchi's games is entertaining in itself, and I suppose I'm not the only one. It's not only games where you shoot things on screen, it's games where you feel in harmony with the music an the visuals. That's all the spirit of Rez (hence the gameplay linked to music, evolving graphics, vibrating peripherals), and I'm sure that motion is in the spirit of Child of Eden.

StuBurns

Banned
StudioTan said:
Oh, I misread sorry. Did you play it an early version? It seems like the Kinect controls have improved in terms of precision since the initial demos.
It was a couple of weeks ago, I can't speak to the age of the build though. I didn't ask.

People talking about how 'responsive' it is, it's just factually not possible to be comparable to a pad in that regard. The Kinect is only 30fps to begin with, let alone with additional latency.

Amir0x

Banned
Alx said:
The quality of a game is not necessarily measured by precision, efficiency, lag. I understand that it's something that is dear to you, but please stop considering that other elements cannot be considered relevant of the quality of a VIDEOGAME.

It is to me, sorry. I won't acknowledge any control form that steps back from these ideals.

*sigh*

ANYway, how is the music in this game?

goldenpp72

StuBurns said:
It was a couple of weeks ago, I can't speak to the age of the build though. I didn't ask.

I have a tv that has no input lag when using one of the hdmi ports (think like a pc mode) and I find absolutely no lag in moving the cursor when you set the cursor up, I set mine up to high with medium cursor smoothing and it practically feels like aiming 1:1.

Compared to the other kinect titles i've played, which include sonic, KS, KA and DC, it's much more responsive and snappy, and it makes me wonder what they did to make it feel so tight. I think the only thing I would change in this game is making it so gripping your palm would release the lock on rather than pushing forward, but I guess that wasn't available to them by this point.

Amir0x said:
It is to me, sorry. I won't acknowledge any control form that steps back from these ideals.

*sigh*

The music is great, its more trance and less upbeat than rez but its still great. It gets going at parts. The stage beauty was amazing. Why dont you just use the controller, kinect is an option

StuBurns

Banned
goldenpp72 said:
I have a tv that has no input lag when using one of the hdmi ports (think like a pc mode) and I find absolutely no lag in moving the cursor when you set the cursor up, I set mine up to high with medium cursor smoothing and it practically feels like aiming 1:1.

Compared to the other kinect titles i've played, which include sonic, KS, KA and DC, it's much more responsive and snappy, and it makes me wonder what they did to make it feel so tight.
Like the build, I can't speak to the TV settings they were using. But I'd think Ubisoft wanted to show it at it's best. I doubt it had lots of TV post processing on or anything.

Teknoman

Amir0x said:
are you guys gonna derail with this seriously? I won't support games with such massively regressive controls. It's just the principle of the thing. I'm getting the game on PS3, Miz will be fine.

If its any help, the game plays great using a standard 360 controller.

EDIT: Wow Beauty...the difficulty just kicked into high gear.

Amir0x said:
original stuff? The Genko abuse wears thin on me since I don't think they're special
I could be wrong but it sounds like it's all Genki Rockets to me. There may be some original stuff mixed in but not much.

Amir0x

Banned
Neuromancer said:
I could be wrong but it sounds like it's all Genki Rockets to me. There may be some original stuff mixed in but not much.

yeah i meant Genki.

That's a shame if so. I'll live though

Amir0x said:

*sigh*

Think of it like the old Quake days, where people would run the game at lowest detail with no textures etc because it ran faster. Did they do better that way? Absolutely. Were they experiencing the game in a better way though?

Oppo

StuBurns said:
If Move didn't have that horrible glowing ball, I could have seen it being the best way to play, but alas, gamepad it is.
Of all the games to be annoyed by that feature... :)

Hell the Ubi people were encouraging people to play the demo at PAX while holding glow sticks.

StudioTan

StuBurns said:
Like the build, I can't speak to the TV settings they were using. But I'd think Ubisoft wanted to show it at it's best. I doubt it had lots of TV post processing on or anything.

Just to about 1 min in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf9FeZC0IJA

He's playing with Kinect at that point. The cursor is pretty fast.

Amir0x

Banned
PortTwo said:

Hell the Ubi people were encouraging people to play the demo at PAX while holding glow sticks.

really?

Ecstasy it is then!

StuBurns

Banned
StudioTan said:
Just to about 1 min in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf9FeZC0IJA

He's playing with Kinect at that point. The cursor is pretty fast.
The cursor is very fast, but I can't see his hands to see the latency, so it's meaningless.

PortTwo said:

It's distracting though. The game is on the screen, not in my hands.

StudioTan

StuBurns said:
The cursor is very fast, but I can't see his hands to see the latency, so it's meaningless.

True but I'm referring to the fact it doesn't have the floaty feeling you get with the Kinect dashboard. You can see the movements are snappy. If you watch the whole video he eventually switches to controller and you can see how sluggish it seems compared to Kinect. It's more precise though.

It sucks not being able to play. I'm using a projector and I don't have a sealed theatre room so I need to wait until it gets dark.

Been playing this all day with Kinect and I must say, it really is the way to play. I prefer it much more using Kinect than with the standard controller and so does my brother, and he's not one to enjoy motion-control gaming.

I hope MS or Ubi advertises this more, it really deserves it.

derFeef

StuBurns said:
It's distracting though. The game is on the screen, not in my hands.
Well.. if you are playing with a controller... ;)
That said, I failed on World 3 with controller as well... I might need some sleep. Glad I bought this game, really good.

Oppo

Neuromancer said:
I am kind of embarrassed by this
Oh man it was raver central at PAX East. They were even giving away EL-lit t-shirts to people who would Friend CoE right there on the show flow, had a computer set up on the FaceBook page and everything.

And, not to sound petulant, but the Move glow-ball being a distraction is a really dumb complaint. For real. Anyone who says that hasn't played, or is searching for an excuse to hate on it.

I'm very tempted to double dip on this, sell back the 360 version forthe PS3 one, as I believe the vibration will make a difference and hopefully they won't crush the video sequences. I felt the Kinect controls were really on to something when I played this, but the aiming wasn't the touchy part, it was the shooting/power ups. Move seems like the most natural fit to me.

That said it's great that the Kinect players have a real game-game now, and bodes well for more like it.

StuBurns

Banned
StudioTan said:
True but I'm referring to the fact it doesn't have the floaty feeling you get with the Kinect dashboard. You can see the movements are snappy. If you watch the whole video he eventually switches to controller and you can see how sluggish it seems compared to Kinect. It's more precise though.

It sucks not being able to play. I'm using a projector and I don't have a sealed theatre room so I need to wait until it gets dark.
I've not used the Kinect dashboard so I can't say.
derFeef said:
Well.. if you are playing with a controller... ;)
That said, I failed on World 3 with controller as well... I might need some sleep. Glad I bought this game, really good.
That kind of touches on my greater disdain for motion controls, the idea is for an abstracted control of a game so you can more easily be immersed, a gamepad does that perfectly. I don't want to derail the thread with waggle and jazz hands hate, I know lots of people like it, and that's cool, I'm just not one of them, yet at least.

I'm giddy excited for the game, I'll be playing it soon enough.

PortTwo said:
And, not to sound petulant, but the Move glow-ball being a distraction is a really dumb complaint. For real. Anyone who says that hasn't played, or is searching for an excuse to hate on it.
You are wrong. I have played it, it is lame.

d0c_zaius

Teknoman said:
If its any help, the game plays great using a standard 360 controller.

EDIT: Wow Beauty...the difficulty just kicked into high gear.

Haha yea

Just when I thought I was getting the Kinect controls down, Beauty kicked my ass O_0

It's an amazing title though. Not a game I would sit and play for multiple hours, but a great daily bite size experience. This is the kinect game for me.

Captain N

I'm really enjoying this bad boy and totally glad to have gotten it.

Amir0x said:
i am probably the biggest Rez fan on Earth but i don't want to send the wrong message by putting money toward a Kinect product. Only when there are no other options for a game I want will I suffer it, like with Forza 4.

wait, what's the problem with Kinect products?

Amir0x

Banned
not here, there have been other extensive threads to discuss this. If I elaborate any further there will be a hail of whining from people

kiryogi

Banned
Anyone played with the trippy effects yet? Tried the Matrix with it and while it was a different experience, I found it pretty hard to figure out when I was getting attacked. I realize that purple is now green with this filter, but still.

kiryogi said:
Anyone played with the trippy effects yet? Tried the Matrix with it and while it was a different experience, I found it pretty hard to figure out when I was getting attacked. I realize that purple is now green with this filter, but still.
Sounds like the filters in Rez then, interesting as a novelty but you don't really want to play with them for too long.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Don't tell me if you know, but I hope there's some super duper secret unlockable that's only attainable by playing this game shitloads amount of times. I mean. there has to be a reason why stars accumulate over time, right?

Wario64 said:
Don't tell me if you know, but I hope there's some super duper secret unlockable that's only attainable by playing this game shitloads amount of times. I mean. there has to be a reason why stars accumulate over time, right?
If you get them all, Yoshi appears on the top of the castle.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
B-Dex said:
The last video you unlock is Lumi with a trance vibrator..... Once you have 1 billion stars.

Wow

(Actually it says beat the game in hard mode to unlock that)

B-Dex

Clearly I was joking.

Having a blast with the game though. Used to Rez and just mostly locking on but some parts are meant for tracer. Once I adjusted it's been amazing. Loving Passion's steampunk vibe.

Dunlop

Amir0x said:
not here, there have been other extensive threads to discuss this. If I elaborate any further there will be a hail of whining from people
Agreed, I don't know why people would whine just because you feel the need to post in almost every Kinect thread or topic about how inferior it is.

Totally need to rent this before I bite

This looks mindblowing.

One question though: As a colorblind gamer, is this going to be unplayable for me? A lot of these kinds of trippy games tend to require quick color recognition.

LiK

NullPointer said:
This looks mindblowing.

One question though: As a colorblind gamer, is this going to be unplayable for me? A lot of these kinds of trippy games tend to require quick color recognition.

you can play it perfectly fine as long as you can tell the difference with purple. all the enemy bullets are purple only.

LiK said:
you can play it perfectly fine as long as you can tell the difference with purple. all the enemy bullets are purple only.
Well, hmmm. Guess I'll need a demo to be sure. I can tell a hawk from a handsaw when the wind is southerly, but I'm not sure I'll be able to tell the difference between purple, blue, dark blue, and somewhat mid-range blue in real time if my life depended on it.

I had the same problem in Planetside. I played the Purple dudes but I had to shoot the Blue dudes. Yeah, that didn't work out so well for me or my comrades in arms. So I switched team to the Red guys where life was much easier.

LiK

NullPointer said:
Well, hmmm. Guess I'll need a demo to be sure. I can tell a hawk from a handsaw when the wind is southerly, but I'm not sure I'll be able to tell the difference between purple, blue, dark blue, and somewhat mid-range blue in real time if my life depended on it.

I had the same problem in Planetside. I played the Purple dudes but I had to shoot the Blue dudes. Yeah, that didn't work out so well for me or my comrades in arms. So I switched team to the Red guys where life was much easier.

hopefuly they have a demo, if not, worth watching some gameplay videos in HD to check.

Top Bottom