• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child Of Eden |OT| of Amazing Visuals, Fantastic Music and Multi-Platform Bliss

LiK

bigdaddygamebot said:
I wish there was a photo option for this along the lines of Wipeout HD.

I want HD images and I want to turn them into posters.

such a sucky theme cuz they just use press kit images for it. they don't even use anything from in-game.

cakefoo

It looks like cursor control with the analog sticks is pretty inferior. What does a controller do better that improves performance overall?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Um........ isn't having the option to play with a controller or controller-free the ideal method of implementing motion controls? I find it rather silly to NOT support developers that allow hardcore gamers to play with whatever method they prefer while also giving casual gamers the chance to play something as awesome as the spiritual successor to REZ. We should be applauding the developers for their effort here.

Honestly if it wasn't for the amazing Kinect-implication I wouldn't be interested in plopping down $50 for such a title like Child of Eden. I imagine I'm not the only one in this boat. Maybe this means we won't have to wait another decade-plus for Rez 3, and I believe that is a good thing.

saunderez

cakefoo said:
It looks like cursor control with the analog sticks is pretty inferior. What does a controller do better that improves performance overall?
It's easier to hover on something and probably slightly easier to make fine movements. But its so much slower moving around the screen that it ends up being a draw really.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Skiesofwonder said:
Um........ isn't having the option to play with a controller or controller-free the ideal method of implementing motion controls? I find it rather silly to NOT support developers that allow hardcore gamers to play with whatever method they prefer while also giving casual gamers the chance to play something as awesome as the spiritual successor to REZ. We should be applauding the developers for their effort here.

Honestly if it wasn't for the amazing Kinect-implication I wouldn't be interested in plopping down $50 for such a title like Child of Eden. I imagine I'm not the only one in this boat. Maybe this means we won't have to wait another decade-plus for Rez 3, and I believe that is a good thing.
I think it's a great thing to have both implementations here. What isn't amazing is the delay of the PS3 version. If it had been released on PS3 this week, I would have purchased it in a second.

LaneDS

Kinect users, how do you think this would translate to something like the Vita where the game could (conceivably) be played via touch? Think it would be a fun handheld game? Just thinking how Lumines was such a great game to play with headphones when the PSP launched, this could be something similar.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
LaneDS said:
Kinect users, how do you think this would translate to something like the Vita where the game could (conceivably) be played via touch? Think it would be a fun handheld game? Just thinking how Lumines was such a great game to play with headphones when the PSP launched, this could be something similar.

Selecting targets by touch and constantly covering half the screen with your hand seems like it would be a terrible experience. Using the rear touchpad could be neat, although I don't know how comfortable it would be to hold Vita and play the whole game that way.

The rich imagery of this game really benefits from being played on the biggest screen possible. I have a 60" HDTV and am happy with it, but I could only imagine the immersion that can be achieved playing this on a projector. After playing CoE on a 60" screen, trying it on a 40" screen would not be remotely as satisfying, let alone on a handheld screen.

There's a Gaffer who plays Kinect on a projector, I would be really interested to see what he thinks about CoE on his setup. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ad08wQUZ2A

K' Dash

Amir0x said:
not here, there have been other extensive threads to discuss this. If I elaborate any further there will be a hail of whining from people

Just curious, have you tried the game with Kinect?, I have to say that I hate to navigate trough menus with this thing but I was really impressed how responsive it is in child of eden, I'd say you should give it a try at a friends house or whatever.

Anyway it's your choice, being a fan of Miz, it's worth a try.

LaneDS

Aruarian Reflection said:
Selecting targets by touch and constantly covering half the screen with your hand seems like it would be a terrible experience. Using the rear touchpad could be neat, although I don't know how comfortable it would be to hold Vita and play the whole game that way.

This is a game that really benefits from being played on a big screen IMO. I have a 60" HDTV and am satisfied, although I could only imagine the immersion that can be achived playing this on a projector.

That makes sense. Touch ideas aside, I still think it'd be neat to see it on the Vita with traditional analog controls.

I'm trying to think of any other reason I might want a Kinect to go along with this game... the $83 price is pretty tempting but I don't know if I can justify that or not.

goldenpp72

So I decided to take a breather using kinect on this and mess with the pad, it works well but now I feel like going for some score and uh.. how do you get those 800k score achievements and stuff? Is there a breakdown of the scoring system?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Finally took a look at the achievements

Master of Eden 50
Cleared all Archives with a Gold Star Clear Rank.

hoollllyy fuuucckkkkkkkkkk

(I believe gold star = over 800k points + 100% purification in one run) shiiieeettt

Teknoman

d0c_zaius said:
Haha yea

Just when I thought I was getting the Kinect controls down, Beauty kicked my ass O_0

It's an amazing title though. Not a game I would sit and play for multiple hours, but a great daily bite size experience. This is the kinect game for me.

Yeah I keep eyeing kinect in store...might check Amazon. I know i'll probably want a kinect for Steel Battalion, but other than that and Child of Eden, I dunno what else I would play though.

KAOS

Love... love... love Child of Eden!!! Kudos to Tetsuya Mizuguchi, James Mielke and everyone who worked on it!

goldenpp72

Wario64 said:
Finally took a look at the achievements

Master of Eden 50
Cleared all Archives with a Gold Star Clear Rank.

hoollllyy fuuucckkkkkkkkkk

(I believe gold star = over 800k points + 100% purification in one run) shiiieeettt

yeah but how the hell do you even get 800k lol, I don't understand this game like I did rez.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
goldenpp72 said:
yeah but how the hell do you even get 800k lol, I don't understand this game like I did rez.

Maintain 8x combos by launching 8x homing attacks + sync'd to the beat of the music

I have the first 2 levels on normal over 800k and nearly 1 million points on 1st level hard (controller mode)

I love what they did to scoring this time, this game is actually a competitive game now unlike Rez

LiK

Wario64 said:
Maintain 8x combos by launching 8x homing attacks + sync'd to the beat of the music

I have the first 2 levels on normal over 800k and nearly 1 million points on 1st level hard (controller mode)

I love what they did to scoring this time, this game is actually a competitive game now unlike Rez

crazy mang~

GavinGT

Banned
Wow, I'm totally blown away. This has totally justified my Kinect purchase. The cursor movement is so accurate that it makes me wonder why the built-in Kinect dashboard cursor is so awful in comparison.

One question though: are there really only five levels? I'm on level three and I totally have the urge to replay the levels, but I'm hoping there's more than just five.

goldenpp72

Wario64 said:

What do you mean by the beat of the music exactly, i'd like to learn how to do this but i'm not sure if i'm good enough here. lol. Also for the gold star achievements, do those require hard mode too?

bender

What time is it?
goldenpp72 said:
What do you mean by the beat of the music exactly, i'd like to learn how to do this but i'm not sure if i'm good enough here. lol. Also for the gold star achievements, do those require hard mode too?

When you launch an 8x homing attack to the beat of the music you will see "perfect" on the screen which means you are on beat. If you do this consecutively you build a multiplier. If you are close to on beat, you will get a "good". Good will not add to the multiplier but will also not break it. If you see neither "perfect" nor "good", you are off beat and your multiplier will be reset. I'm pretty terrible at this. My best streak is 9x.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
goldenpp72 said:

Not sure if it requires hard mode, if it does not many people gonna be 1000'ing this game!

Just listen to the music and try to find the beat/bass. Play with the controller with vibration on if you need help identifying it. The good/perfect indicators tell you if you're doing it right. Obviously want perfects since it ups your multiplier (8x is the max). If you do full on 8x lock ons and miss the beat, you'll lose the multiplier. Attacking less than 8 lock ons will not drop your multiplier, and I dont think you get the score bonus if you sync with the beat, not sure though.

Just knowing that the scoring system actually revolves around the music this time is mind blowing. It REALLY is a musical shooter this time. They ain't fuckin around!

According to the stats screen, my highest combo is like 87.

LiK

Wario64 said:
Not sure if it requires hard mode, if it does not many people gonna be 1000'ing this game!

Just listen to the music and try to find the beat/bass. Play with the controller with vibration on if you need help identifying it. The good/perfect indicators tell you if you're doing it right. Obviously want perfects since it ups your multiplier (8x is the max). If you do full on 8x lock ons and miss the beat, you'll lose the multiplier. Attacking less than 8 lock ons will not drop your multiplier, and I dont think you get the score bonus if you sync with the beat, not sure though.

Just knowing that the scoring system actually revolves around the music this time is mind blowing. It REALLY is a musical shooter this time. They ain't fuckin around!

According to the stats screen, my highest combo is like 87.

if we miss anything that ruins our star rating right?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
LiK said:
if we miss anything that ruins our star rating right?

Star rating is just based on score, but to get 5 star gold you need 100% purification and a high score, which is god-like since sync'd attacks is already tough, you basically have to do it without any hesitation...and without screwing up at all

hmm I don't remember seeing a stats screen with combo meter on it, I've been curious to see what I've been getting. Where's it hiding or am I just blind from the brilliance on the screen?

LiK

Wario64 said:
Star rating is just based on score, but to get 5 star gold you need 100% purification and a high score, which is god-like since sync'd attacks is already tough, you basically have to do it without any hesitation...and without screwing up at all

haven't checked my stats but i guess memorization is the key. there's no way to adjust sensitivity of the reticule right? someone mentioned that but i can't find it in the options.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Stats screen is menu + Y on controller, should be a button on screen with Kinect

Also, if you're achievement whoring or just a stats whore, go to options, HUD, turn on full HUD. It shows you purification % and score on your HUD.

LiK said:
haven't checked my stats but i guess memorization is the key. there's no way to adjust sensitivity of the reticule right? someone mentioned that but i can't find it in the options.

I dont think you can for controller, only for Kinect oddly enough

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
My god, playing to get multipliers based on button release with the beat makes this game amazing.

Is there an indicator of what your multiplier currently is at any time? Does something happen to show it's broken? I think I had about 20 in a row last round...

What breaks the multiplier? Someone said doing less than 8 won't break it... will accidentally shooting a lock-able target while taking out pink shots with your pink trigger weapon break it?

Also, every once in a while I notice a single or a cluster of these icons that look like four rounded corners with a dot in the middle. What are those?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
FlyinJ said:
My god, playing to get multipliers based on button release with the beat makes this game amazing.

Is there an indicator of what your multiplier currently is at any time? Does something happen to show it's broken? I think I had about 20 in a row last round...

What breaks the multiplier? Someone said doing less than 8 won't break it... will accidentally shooting a lock-able target while taking out pink shots break it?

Also, every once in a while I notice a single or a cluster of these icons that look like four rounded corners with a dot in the middle. What are those?

Multiplier is displayed when you get perfects, it shows you right below the "perfect" indicator. If you get "good," your multiplier is still alive but I don't think it increases. It doesn't tell you if you break multiplier except for resetting to 2x when you get another perfect, but you can usually tell if you have a max lock on and don't see anything pop up when you attack.

If you're locked onto 8 targets and switch to purple weapon, I'm pretty sure that counts whether you get the perfect/good shot or not. If you have bullets coming and you're already locked on, don't max it out to keep your multiplier going then switch to deflecting purples shots.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Got my girlfriend to try this tonight. She died on the first level but after that she seemed to get the hang of it once she realized she didn't have to make such broad hand motions to shoot (which was flipping out her camera) and made her motions a bit smoother. She loved it though. She said "I'm going to be totally addicted to this now".

LiK

Wario64 said:
Multiplier is displayed when you get perfects, it shows you right below the "perfect" indicator. If you get "good," your multiplier is still alive but I don't think it increases. It doesn't tell you if you break multiplier except for resetting to 2x when you get another perfect, but you can usually tell if you have a max lock on and don't see anything pop up when you attack.

If you're locked onto 8 targets and switch to purple weapon, I'm pretty sure that counts whether you get the perfect/good shot or not. If you have bullets coming and you're already locked on, don't max it out to keep your multiplier going then switch to deflecting purples shots.

the purple bullets screw me up during boss fights so i lose the multiplier there. i need to be better.

Teknoman

CoffeeJanitor said:
Just wondering, if any of you have used controllers would you consider Child of Eden a game?

Yes. Its really the same style of game as Panzer Dragoon, Rez, Star Fox, Sin and Punishment, etc. but with different mechanics.

Teknoman said:
Yes. Its really the same style of game as Panzer Dragoon, Rez, Star Fox, Sin and Punishment, etc. but with different mechanics.
Damn I was just making a lame reference to that batshit insane preview of the game. Anyways, it looks amazing.

Teknoman

CoffeeJanitor said:
Damn I was just making a lame reference to that batshit insane preview of the game. Anyways, it looks amazing.

I didnt mean it in a "Damn man, YES its a game" way, lol thought you were being serious :p

Damn level 4 is tough.

LiK said:
If you're using Kinect, it's under "Kinect" in the options menu.

goldenpp72

I get the scoring now, but how does one get 100 percent of the enemies down, I don't even see some of them?

I got almost 900k on level one now :)

Top Bottom