• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child Of Eden |OT| of Amazing Visuals, Fantastic Music and Multi-Platform Bliss

Coldsnap

How well does the kinect work in this game? I booted up Fun Labs in anticipation of receiving this game tomorrow and realized how broken kinect can be at some times and how my space is still not big enough even though it is 6 feet.

venne

Coldsnap said:
How well does the kinect work in this game? I booted up Fun Labs in anticipation of receiving this game tomorrow and realized how broken kinect can be at some times and how my space is still not big enough even though it is 6 feet.

If Kinect doesn't work well for you in your setup, I strongly doubt this game is going to change anything.

Coldsnap said:
It works 100x better than i would have expected. Honestly it's amazing. 6 feet for this game will be more than enough.

Tain

Renting this.

Very pretty game so far. Controls with Kinect seem finicky when it comes to releasing lock on, especially if you're trying to time it. Switching shot types, too. Not used to being this far from the TV, either! I've just started though.

LiK

FootNinja said:
I get that. Thing is, I can pay 50 dollars for a game with a ton more content and then have replay value on top of that. I am not trying to bad mouth this game in any way, but I cant rationalize 50 dollars for something that (based on what I am hearing) has content comparable to some 15 dollar xbla games. At this point I am adding nothing to the thread though, enjoy this bad ass game, people.

Sin & Punishment 2 was $50 and it's shorter than this.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Sweet called the videogame store and he said they have this in stock.
Gonna go in a few hours to pick it up.

LiK said:
shmups just aren't big sellers anymore, especially outside Japan.
Heard this called a shmup
by lesser, overly reductive men

I was really just poking fun at S & P 2, I should work on my sarcasm or something, let's just say it's 2am.

LiK

Zeouterlimits said:
Heard this called a shmup
by lesser, overly reductive men

I was really just poking fun at S & P 2, I should work on my sarcasm or something, let's just say it's 2am.

yea, i thought your comment was weird since you made THIS thread, lol

Tain

Lol, this is so much better with a controller now that I've tried it. Harder than Rez, too, thankfully, and the rhythm scoring serves as a nice distraction.

When I started playing this game I was worried that the Kinect support wasn't to my liking. But after setting the cursor speed to fast and getting to level 3 I now don't even really want to play it with a controller.

watership

Coldsnap said:

Were you sitting? Kinect fun labs is buggy as crap if you sit. Anyone sitting for COE?

goldenpp72

I FINALLY got my first gold star (level 1 :( ) Good lord I easily had all the collectables before I finally got it, i'm scared to go on lol

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
goldenpp72 said:
I FINALLY got my first gold star (level 1 :( ) Good lord I easily had all the collectables before I finally got it, i'm scared to go on lol

How many tries? And what was your score?

goldenpp72

900k with 100 percent purification, I missed a health pickup on the way. As for how many tries, I am on level 3 and have like, 60 stars, so while i'm not sure how many, it was a LOT imo. My finger hurts. My top score is only slightly higher with 99 percent.

I will say, kinect doesn't work so well for going for these for me, trying to keep rhythm while not missing one thing is pretty insane, but it's worse because you can actually stop some enemies from ever appearing by not playing 'right' :(

Cheska

I succumbed to the pressure and picked this up today for $10. Oh.my.god. It's so much better than I expected. The game is visually stunning and just so much fun, holy shit. I think it's going to take me a while to get used to it though, because I was no where near a gold star :(

fernoca

Cheska said:
I succumbed to the pressure and picked this up today for $10. Oh.my.god. It's so much better than I expected. The game is visually stunning and just so much fun, holy shit. I think it's going to take me a while to get used to it though, because I was no where near a gold star :(
$10?
In-store credit? :p

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Only a small handful of people are gonna get gold stars in this game...it's probably the equivalent to getting S rankings in Ikaruga. Except not nearly as impossible as Ikaruga, but that difficulty barrier is pretty high in this game

goldenpp72 said:
900k with 100 percent purification, I missed a health pickup on the way. As for how many tries, I am on level 3 and have like, 60 stars, so while i'm not sure how many, it was a LOT imo. My finger hurts. My top score is only slightly higher with 99 percent.

I will say, kinect doesn't work so well for going for these for me, trying to keep rhythm while not missing one thing is pretty insane, but it's worse because you can actually stop some enemies from ever appearing by not playing 'right' :(

After playing with controller and knowing the scoring system, I don't see myself using Kinect much at all. I'd like to see someone kill this game with Kinect though.

goldenpp72

Wario64 said:
Only a small handful of people are gonna get gold stars in this game...it's probably the equivalent to getting S rankings in Ikaruga. Except not nearly as impossible as Ikaruga, but that difficulty barrier is pretty high in this game

After playing with controller and knowing the scoring system, I don't see myself using Kinect much at all. I'd like to see someone kill this game with Kinect though.

Kinect is pretty fun and immersive, but yeah now that I'm more hardcore into it, I see myself using the pad way more.

i do plan on trying to gold star on normal (there is none for hard thank god) but yeah, i was expecting this to be a breeze like rez and instead I'm getting something that tears my throat out ala NG2 on master or some shit. Sheesh.

Chocoboko

Soooo... how bout that challenge mode? Does anyone know how long it goes on for. It is kicking my ass. I keep dieing at the same place. The purple bullets are so hard to see since they just blend into the background.

Anyone have any tips on how to stay alive longer since there seem to be no additional life power-ups?

Gaspode_T

If you are tall you might have to put it on top of your TV to capture your hand movements. It really depends on each game and how it uses the play space, the Your Space game seems to want me to be back further than I can possibly go, Kinect Adventures is somewhere in the middle and Kinect Sports works pretty well even in a small Japanese apartment. My impression is they are continuously improving the way it works for smaller spaces and didn't really know how to do it well for the launch titles.

kiryogi

Banned
Arrrrrrrgh. Finally going for the multipliers and the most I've managed is 400kish on Matrix normal D: Reaching 800k seems like a pipe dream. What the hell. But my purify % was like 84 tho. . .

Doodis

So apparently I really suck at this game. I cruised through the first two levels but have died four times now on the third. Ouch.

What are you guys generally finding to be the best settings for the Kinect speed and smoothness? I moved it up to fast speed and just felt like it was way too janky.

kiryogi

Banned
Anabuhabkuss said:
I'm not getting the beats. Do you release lock-on when the bass hits? Think I'm over thinking this.

Here's supposedly a idea of it if you're rhythmically inclined

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997620-child-of-eden/59467318

1- Tapping your feet or just singing the rhythm. So lets say you are tapping the beat "1-2-3-4" in 4/4 time, you release the "Octa-lock" during any of those beats and you will not lose the score multiplier, so don't be afraid to release on 2 or on 3 because you are still in time.

I finally got to play my copy of Child of Eden. At first I was disappointed with Kinect... I found it difficult to get used to and thought the changing between hands made things unnecessarily more difficult because the camera would move wildly from its previous position, so I decided to play through the first two Archives with a controller to get a feel for the game.

After reaching the Beauty Archive (hard!) I decided to hop back over to Kinect and try the first Archive again - and everything just fell into place. My God, the word 'experience' is thrown around so much in the gaming industry, but Child of Eden actually lives up to the claim. I'm even grinning like a fool while typing this.

The game is just beautiful.

(My right arm is fucking killing me)

Oh and I love the music that plays during your Space Whale encounter.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Really enjoying it so far. Have barely scratched the surface though.
Some of the FMV background stuff is too cheesy for my taste, but the gameplay is there.

Shaneus

Hey, anyone know about not installing the game to the 360 HDD? I've read a few reports here and there and want to know what the optimum playing conditions are before I get right into it.

LiK

Chocoboko said:
Soooo... how bout that challenge mode? Does anyone know how long it goes on for. It is kicking my ass. I keep dieing at the same place. The purple bullets are so hard to see since they just blend into the background.

Anyone have any tips on how to stay alive longer since there seem to be no additional life power-ups?
Bullets are always priority. You need to take them out asap. I dont bother with lockons too much there.

robot

Anabuhabkuss said:
Guys,

If you're getting that kinect sensor error repeatedly, uninstall the game from your harddrive. problem solved.

I'll try this later - I knew this error message had to be a bug.

RedSwirl

So I shouldn't be mad about only getting three-to-four stars most of the time. I had to really work for a four-star on the first level.

kanugo

Don't know if this was posted already, but here's confirmation that the UK version of the game also have the dual cover.

Just received mine from ShopTo.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Played it with Kinect today... Took a while to get used to it but it was great fun. I'll pick it up when I finally get Kinect for Forza4.

My copy arrived yesterday and I got the chance this afternoon to sit down and spend some time with it.

Oh. My. God.

Oh. My. God

I can't believe how amazing an experience it was. I literally played for two and a half hours with goosebumps. Granted, I am a huge dance music/Rez/Mizuguchi fan so I knew I was going to enjoy the game, but it has completely exceeded my huge expectations.

The first couple of stages are a nice introduction and a nice way of getting back into the Rez groove (haven't played it since Rez HD came out on 360 a couple of years ago) again.

Stage 4 was a nice
little tribute-of-sorts to Rez with the wireframe visuals, human-looking enemies and harder music, much like the Techno of Rez.

I'd read/heard about the
fact that pictures of happy scenes were going to be incorporated into
the ending, but it completely blew me away. I can't have been the only one who was welling up, close to tears but with a huge grin on my face while playing through it.

Hats off to Miz. He has taken Rez and evolved it, making Child of Eden at the very least as amazing as Rez is.

It's going to take a hell of a lot to stop this being my game of the year. It's already one of my games of the generation and one of my favourite games I have ever played, being an evolution of Rez.

Absolutely amazing.

Finally got to play it with Kinect: amazing!

At first it was a bit awkward, but after changing crosshair speed to high and smoothing to low, it was nearly perfect (I don't know why, but it seemed to me that smoothing added some latency; I'd rather have it "jump" all over the screen so I can make fast movements and quick adjustments).

This game is glorious, Kinect or not, it's a must have.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I made it to what I think was the "final boss" of the game last nite... chapter 5 in this game is a bit disappointing compared to Rez. I love the game but as an experience, I think it falls a bit short of Rez... music isn't as memorable and the final area was pretty bland compared to the rest of the game. Don't get me wrong, the game is still fantastic (I love the rhythm-based multiplier and the laser for shooting down purple bullets)... easily my 2011 GOTY.

djtiesto said:
I made it to what I think was the "final boss" of the game last nite... chapter 5 in this game is a bit disappointing compared to Rez. I love the game but as an experience, I think it falls a bit short of Rez... music isn't as memorable and the final area was pretty bland compared to the rest of the game. Don't get me wrong, the game is still fantastic (I love the rhythm-based multiplier and the laser for shooting down purple bullets)... easily my 2011 GOTY.

Nice to see someone else with this as their GOTY :)

About what you said about the music not being as memorable as Rez - were you a Genki Rockets fan before Child of Eden? I was and definitely think it helped me appreciate the music a bit more, even if Rez's Techno is what I would call my preference in the genre.

Top Bottom