• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child Of Eden |OT| of Amazing Visuals, Fantastic Music and Multi-Platform Bliss

Shaneus said:
Hey, anyone know about not installing the game to the 360 HDD? I've read a few reports here and there and want to know what the optimum playing conditions are before I get right into it.
I've heard this too. It doesn't make any sense to me but I guess it's possible.

I've had occasional errors pop up during game play when it loses me, and pauses, but I haven't tried deleting my install yet.

Majora

This game is much easier with Kinect, I instantly five starred the first two levels when I switched to Kinect, where previously I only managed 4 and 3 stars respectively. Combination of faster cursor, slightly bigger cursor and being easier to 'feel the rhythm' than holding a controller I think.

Great game but have to agree with Level 5 being a disappointment. Level 5 of Rez is amazing and unforgettable whereas Level 5 of Child of Eden is just a boss rush. I kept waiting for something amazing to kick in but it never happened; probably my least favourite level in the game.

Shaneus

Neuromancer said:
I've heard this too. It doesn't make any sense to me but I guess it's possible.

I've had occasional errors pop up during game play when it loses me, and pauses, but I haven't tried deleting my install yet.
Someone posted it on the last (100p/p) page. I uninstalled as I was wearing some over-ear headphones (Turtle Beach X41s) and the loading times are barely noticeable. I didn't notice any difference installed or otherwise, it might depend on how much room you have. I have a bit.

BTW If any of you all have wireless headphones, I highly recommend using them. Those + lights out = amazing.

near

Gold Member
I bought the game today and wow it's amazing. I haven't spent too long playing it but I can already tell it's going to be somewhat a challenge getting through all the archives. Based on the few minutes I spent playing the first archive in which I died 3 times -before switching it off due to commitments- it's somewhat hard and it doesn't help that once you die you have to start playing the archive from the very beginning again. The idea isn't too bad considering there are only 5 archives but I already feel cheated as if it's some sort of substitute for replay value and longevity. But neither of those two points really take a stab at the value of the game and the rather good impression it has left on me. I haven't played Rez before so I'm not entirely familiar with the mechanics of the game, so that may be the reason why I pretty much suck at it at the moment, but I still can't wait to get back to playing it this evening. :p

Clunker

I also thought the final level wasn't nearly as good as Area 5 of Rez, but I'm also of the opinion that few things in the history of mankind are as transcendent and euphoric as Area 5, so it might be an unfair comparison.

Passion is my favorite archive so far. Love that tempo, the running men, the whole satellite boss, the gear-and-tech environments ... Just everything. <3

LiK said:
Unlocked after beating the game.
I love Hope. Such a Rez like level to me in look and music.
That sounds really promising. While I'm enjoying the game, to me, it's missing that special something that Rez had.

yggdrasil

ashbash159 said:
What's the thing you unlock in the extras--bottom row, middle?

The manual suggests that it's an alteration of the drum sound that plays when you press A, but it's not clear how to unlock it. Has anyone beaten the game on hard yet?

Also, the manual suggests that once you unlock all the creatures in Lumi's garden, they will affect music played from the hard drive. Can anyone confirm this?

Finally, does anyone have any suggestions for beating the Passion boss with the controller? I literally cannot move fast enough to clean up all the purple bullets it launches at me. I absolutely prefer the controller's precision, but the reticle moves so slowly that it's difficult to play perfectly. I regret that Child of Eden has a lot of Kinect control options but lacks the controller and camera options Rez had in Beyond mode.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, just finished the third level. This game is hard. It's always so crazy playing these for the first time when you have no idea of the pattern/strategy.

Beautiful game though.

LiK

Jtwo said:
Damn, just finished the third level. This game is hard. It's always so crazy playing these for the first time when you have no idea of the pattern/strategy.

Beautiful game though.
Prepare for world 4...muhahahaa

Jtwo said:

Beautiful game though.

Maybe it's my Rez experience or the fact I was so lost in the music and game, but I didn't have much trouble with the game. I never died while playing through on normal and the lowest health I went down to was about 2 sections remaining.

I'm expecting hard to be more challenging though.

LaneDS

Up to Passion, which is the first level that is giving me some problems, but I appreciate that it's harder than Rez but also offers that "Feel Eden" mode for when you want a friend to try it without ending up frustrated.

After playing it with a controller, I can totally see how it would be really cool with a Kinect. Going to keep my eyes open for a cheap one at this point.

Favorite level thus far is the second one, Evolution.

I was surprised to hear that you can get 5 stars. I thought it only went up to 3 stars. When I first played the levels I normally get 3 stars and some 2 stars, thinking when I got 3 stars I was doing good.

I don't think I have much trouble playing this game with a controller, but hearing about the fact you can get up to 5 stars makes me wonder how I could do any better. With Kinect it seems you'll be able to move the reticle as fast as your hands can move. I wish there was an option for sensitivity for the controller (I haven't looked so I don't even know if there is the option.)

LiK

ashbash159 said:
I was surprised to hear that you can get 5 stars. I thought it only went up to 3 stars. When I first played the levels I normally get 3 stars and some 2 stars, thinking when I got 3 stars I was doing good.

I don't think I have much trouble playing this game with a controller, but hearing about the fact you can get up to 5 stars makes me wonder how I could do any better. With Kinect it seems you'll be able to move the reticle as fast as your hands can move. I wish there was an option for sensitivity for the controller (I haven't looked so I don't even know if there is the option.)
Wario was the first one here to get 5 stars and he prefers scoring with controller. If anyone can get 5 stars with Kinect, let us know.

ToyBroker said:
Without playing ANY of the big holiday games? KKz.

Gameplay wise, I'm sure there will be better games to come in the remaining 6 months of the year. Hell, there have already been some games this year that are better in terms of gameplay.
But as an experience, it's going to be very hard to top this, for me anyway.

LiK said:
Wario was the first one here to get 5 stars and he prefers scoring with controller. If anyone can get 5 stars with Kinect, let us know.

I got 4 stars on my first go in the first archive, I got hit once and missed a few enemies so it's possible.

Missed it if it was mentioned already but the Podcast featuring the creator, Mizuguichi and his fellow Q Entertainment Employee James Mielke of EGM fame are on the newest 8-4 Podcast. Thread here.

NinjaBoiX

I'll be getting the PlayStation 3 version. Presumably better audio, and I have two Move wands but don't have Kinect (first game that makes me wish I did. The grab and splay mechanic sounds great.). Anyone know how, and how well it plays with Move? And also, why the delay?

goldenpp72

-NinjaBoiX- said:
I'll be getting the PlayStation 3 version. Presumably better audio, and I have two Move wands but don't have Kinect (first game that makes me wish I did. The grab and splay mechanic sounds great.). Anyone know how, and how well it plays with Move? And also, why the delay?

Considering the game only takes up 2 gigs of the disc, don't count on it.

-NinjaBoiX- said:
Anyone know how, and how well it plays with Move? And also, why the delay?
No previews of Move version yet.
Delayed either due to timed exclusive or they hadn't move functionality ready as they said they were still working on it on Twitter iirc.

alphaNoid

Banned
How many of you are playing with Kinect? I'm still on the fence but would probably only want to experience this with Kinect. Impressions there?

Pete Rock

After completing the third archive, my only criticism so far would be that the Heavenly Star video unlock is only a preview.

Even as a diehard Rez fan I continuously find the cumulative experience of Child of Eden so entirely refreshing, I just can't get enough.

LiK

Pete Rock said:
After completing the third archive, my only criticism so far would be that the Heavenly Star video unlock is only a preview.

Even as a diehard Rez fan I continuously find the cumulative experience of Child of Eden so entirely refreshing, I just can't get enough.

yea, you also unlock Breeze preview only as well (not sure what the last video is). i dunno why they don't release the full videos as unlockables. they're not exactly new. i was kinda disappointed with that.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Pete Rock said:

Not only that, but the videos are basically Youtube quality. Ew.

alphaNoid said:
How many of you are playing with Kinect? I'm still on the fence but would probably only want to experience this with Kinect. Impressions there?
Amazing, works great and a lot of fun. Would recommend to anyone. I haven't even bothered trying with a controller yet.

That said on a few instances the Kinect did 'lose me' and paused the game, not sure why that happened.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
People say to uninstall the game from the HDD if you get those Kinect error messages on screen. Personally I havent had any errors pop up yet, but then again I have the game installed on the 4GB internal memory on a Xbox 360-S model.

Wario64 said:
People say to uninstall the game from the HDD if you get those Kinect error messages on screen. Personally I havent had any errors pop up yet, but then again I have the game installed on the 4GB internal memory on a Xbox 360-S model.
Yeah I may try that tonight, it happens often enough to be a little annoying.

NinjaBoiX

Zeouterlimits said:
No previews of Move version yet.
Delayed either due to timed exclusive or they hadn't move functionality ready as they said they were still working on it on Twitter iirc.
Cool. You'd think it would work in a similar manner, just a wand in each hand, and the trigger acting as the "grab and splay" input. It won't quite have the cool tactile effect as Kinect (I assume, never tried it, but it does seem like the way he wants it to be played) but should still be really cool. Plus, apart from Archery on SC, I can barely justify my second wand!

alphaNoid

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Amazing, works great and a lot of fun. Would recommend to anyone. I haven't even bothered trying with a controller yet.

That said on a few instances the Kinect did 'lose me' and paused the game, not sure why that happened.
Hmmmmm.. good news, thanks.

-NinjaBoiX- said:
Cool. You'd think it would work in a similar manner, just a wand in each hand, and the trigger acting as the "grab and splay" input. It won't quite have the cool tactile effect as Kinect (I assume, never tried it, but it does seem like the way he wants it to be played) but should still be really cool. Plus, apart from Archery on SC, I can barely justify my second wand!

I'd imagine it would be a little easier with Move seen as all you would have to do is point and press a button. They will probably tweak the difficulty accordingly.

bedlamite

alphaNoid said:
-No lag
-Fun as shit
-Prepare for Wii elbow

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
JustAnotherOtaku said:
Maybe it's my Rez experience or the fact I was so lost in the music and game, but I didn't have much trouble with the game. I never died while playing through on normal and the lowest health I went down to was about 2 sections remaining.

I'm expecting hard to be more challenging though.
I'm very experienced with REZ too, I found that game hard for years.

Anyway, I've failed level 4 about 5 times.. but holy shit it is fuuuucking awesome. It's amazing.

So, in the instruction manual it says "unlock all rewards in garden and see what happens when you play music for your xbox harddrive."

What happens?

Jtwo said:
I'm very experienced with REZ too, I found that game hard for years.

Anyway, I've failed level 4 about 5 times.. but holy shit it is fuuuucking awesome. It's amazing.

Heh, amazing is definitely the word for this game :)

Just played a bit using the first unlocked graphics filter. Looks really nice but the enemy projectiles seem to be a bit harder to spot as everything is a different colour.

On Rez, yeah I found it pretty hard when I first played it on PS2. When I bought the HD version on XBLA though, I was able to get through it without much trouble. Weird.

LiK

Rez is super easy to me. Relaxing game and getting the true ending is a nonissue. I'm really surprised you guys found it hard.

venne

Jtwo said:
So, in the instruction manual it says "unlock all rewards in garden and see what happens when you play music for your xbox harddrive."

What happens?

Sounds like an Eden based music visualizer, which would be awesome. That's pure speculation, though.

STG

LiK said:
Rez is super easy to me. Relaxing game and getting the true ending is a nonissue. I'm really surprised you guys found it hard.
yeah same here, REZ is really an easy one

Top Bottom