• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child Of Eden |OT| of Amazing Visuals, Fantastic Music and Multi-Platform Bliss

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Finally got to play the game today and I had a lot of fun. I will try to identify the beat patterns to see if the game makes more sense. ATM it's just random shooting from me. :D

Nert

This game provides a phenomenal audio-visual experience. Evolution, in particular, was mind blowing. I burned through almost all of the stages in one sitting tonight, but I couldn't quite finish off Journey. Not sure if I want to buy this game yet (currently renting it), given its brevity, but I'm really happy that I've spent time with it and nothing else released this year has pulled me in so quickly and forcefully.

Abooie

Banned
Mine was dispatched yesterday so I'm really hoping it comes today.

I'm getting this t-shirt as well as a preorder bonus:

15606214_500x500_2.jpg

Amir0x said:
i am probably the biggest Rez fan on Earth but i don't want to send the wrong message by putting money toward a Kinect product. Only when there are no other options for a game I want will I suffer it, like with Forza 4.

And you're starting to sound like Captain Ahab with Kinect your Moby Dick!

Teknoman

Nert said:
This game provides a phenomenal audio-visual experience. Evolution, in particular, was mind blowing. I burned through almost all of the stages in one sitting tonight, but I couldn't quite finish off Journey. Not sure if I want to buy this game yet (currently renting it), given its brevity, but I'm really happy that I've spent time with it and nothing else released this year has pulled me in so quickly and forcefully.

Wait till you play Passion. Damn.

Nemesis_

Love it so much, much better than Rez I reckon. Although it's much faster paced.

I would like to hear Heavenly Star at some point though I don't think I will? We will see. A nice remix is on the title screen.

Special J

Banned
Baller said:
Microsoft should have built that shit in, unbelievable. Off to GameStop I go.

inorder to do that you're basically putting a wide angle lens but the problem is it will distort the image objects further from the center become disproportional

Calibr1.gif

AwShucks

People in this thread threw me off with the difficulty mentions. I only ever died on the 3rd level, otherwise I felt it was pretty easy to at least beat the levels. Maybe not get super high scores, but yeah finishing them wasn't bad.

On that note I did beat it tonight. I think if the music was better it would be close to being better than Rez. But the music in Rez blows CoE out of the water IMO and it suffers from that. Gameplay and visuals are outstanding though, but for me 50% of the Rez (and inherently CoE) experience is the music.

Im really not liking this game.

The gameplay is just like Rez.

Seems boring and takes too long to get into...

Shall be returning this game tomorrow.

what the hell, i thought this was out in japan today and it is not. rage! OP lists a ? for the release date - anyone know any better? :/

Abooie

Banned
345triangle said:
what the hell, i thought this was out in japan today and it is not. rage! OP lists a ? for the release date - anyone know any better? :/

Play Asia have it in stock for Asia with no region protection.

US ed. has no region protection too.

Teknoman

TheVampire said:
Im really not liking this game.

The gameplay is just like Rez.

Seems boring and takes too long to get into...

Shall be returning this game tomorrow.

Well it is by the same people that made Rez so...

Jintor

I'm going to assume people have finished it now.

For me, the most mind-blowing moment was the last boss in Journey. When the bloody sphereboss with particles returns from the first archive, only now Lumi is trapped inside, the music is looping "let's get a-", and she's reaching out to you, it really turns what you've been doing the entire game - hands extended forwards, aiming, shooting - and makes that into something else: reaching for someone, reaching for human contact.

I mean I didn't tear up or anything but I got this shiver down the back of my spine that is just beautiful.

This game is great. A masterpiece.

RPS37

After changing the setting to surround, it still didn't seem like i could hear anything coming out of my back speakers.

Teknoman

panda21 said:
how does it play without kinect? is it better or worse? still worth getting?

Do you like rail shooters like Rez, Sin and Punishment, Panzer Dragoon, Star Fox, etc? Then get the game because it plays great with a controller. I think the normal difficulty is toned down in kinect mode. Really gets challenging at stage 3 and up or when trying to 100% all stages.

Jintor

Yes, but having both options is really desirable. Still, if you plan on getting a Kinect in the future, defs a good idea to pick up now and enjoy.

dejay

Banned
Ahh dammit - Playasia were stating region protection a day or so ago, now it's no region protection. I've already paid for a pre-order from the UK.

(fake edit) Actually the free shipping will mean I get it for only a couple of dollars more than the Asian version.

Anyway, looking forward to getting my copy hopefully next week.

banjoted

I'm doing something I haven't done for a long time for this game - booking the day off. A few hours at home on my own without the wife and kids is the only way I'll have the chance to combine the big TV, surround sound and Kinect without any disturbance.

Simply cannot wait. Roll on tomorrow.

Clunker

Finished the game last night, and while the whole thing is amazing and the last two levels in particular shine, I still felt a little disappointed in that the endgame didn't come close to topping Area 5 of Rez. That is an immensely tall order, though. Overall Child of Eden is brilliant; I won't ever say people need a Kinect to play it, as I tried a few levels with the controller and it still rocks, but you absolutely should try it at least once with Kinect.

Oddly enough, my scores are way better with the Kinect than with the controller, even though I felt like I was more accurate with the latter.

Jintor said:
That's Beauty, right? The giant flower? Which stage of the boss battle?

I definitely pass the first stage. I think I'm stuck on the second. When you're trying to shoot the shit off the petals.

I picked this game up yesterday and it is so good. I have only played it with Kinect so far, but it is so good that I doubt I will play it with a controller. I really hope we get a bunch of Kinect Shmups now. I would think a game where you aim with your right hand, and move your ship with your left hand would work great.

Temujin

[Nintex] said:
I'm wondering does the PAL version have a reversible cover too?

Mine did, bought it in Media Markt.

The game's pretty high on amazon.co.uk's bestsellers list, so I guess it's not selling that bad. 3rd best selling full-price game on Xbox360 right now.

LiK

DoctorWho said:
I definitely pass the first stage. I think I'm stuck on the second. When you're trying to shoot the shit off the petals.
Sounds like the 3rd stage...petals?

ultron87

Played the first two stages on Kinect yesterday. I love this game.

By the time I was done my right arm hurt a lot from doing the "fling" motion though.

Is anyone having any luck with sitting while playing this game? I know I probably sound like some lazy slob, but sometimes it'd be nice to be able to relax and still play. The times I have tried, Kinect never really recognizes my hands when they cross my chest and it goes all wonky. Might try putting it below my TV to see if that helps at all.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Wish it was in my budget to keep this from gamefly at the moment, but I'm already way over for the month.

4-star'd all the stages (controller) on normal

Any game where I'm in the top 100 on the leaderboards is a game more people need to be playing

RPGamer92

Banned
Why oh why are did they not release the PS3 version day and date with the 360 version? I will buy a move the day this comes out for PS3.

LiK

PSFan said:
Why oh why are did they not release the PS3 version day and date with the 360 version? I will buy a move the day this comes out for PS3.
I think Move was the reason it was delayed.

Nemesis_

DAT PHOENIX.

Fuck, seriously, this game is so amazing once you get the hang of it. You really feel like you're conducting this amazing visual masterpiece.

The Phoenix moment was probably one of the most amazing and beautiful moments I've ever seen in a game. I can understand why some more emotional people would feel like crying, though I didn't. =P

But yeah, that was kind of hyperbolic.

Fuck me. So good. How many archives are there? =( I don't want this to end!

[Nintex]

metareferential said:
Yes it does, I've just got my copy.

And I've seen copies from different countries (Italy, Switzerland), all of which had it.
Cool, thanks guys now only my Xbox account needs fixing and I'm ready to go.

Fuck you gear birds and purple gates.

Kinect players: What are your settings on the reticule? I found that speeding it up is nice, but takes some getting used to. I haven't really messed with smoothing yet, though.

LiK

Nemesis556 said:
DAT PHOENIX.

Fuck, seriously, this game is so amazing once you get the hang of it. You really feel like you're conducting this amazing visual masterpiece.

The Phoenix moment was probably one of the most amazing and beautiful moments I've ever seen in a game. I can understand why some more emotional people would feel like crying, though I didn't. =P

But yeah, that was kind of hyperbolic.

Fuck me. So good. How many archives are there? =( I don't want this to end!
Now now, I don't wanna spoil it for ya :)

ConfusingJazz said:
Fuck you gear birds and purple gates.

Kinect players: What are your settings on the reticule? I found that speeding it up is nice, but takes some getting used to. I haven't really messed with smoothing yet, though.

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to speed it up. Smooth definitely made a difference for the better.

Nemesis_

LiK said:
Now now, I don't wanna spoil it for ya :)

Could you give me some hints for how to get better scores, at least? >_>

I love the game but I am finding it hard to get anything above four stars =(

Beauty has so far been the most disappointing, too slow for my liking.

Scoring from the way I understand it is simply every shot is 100 points. Whether its an octo shot or not or even on beat its still 100 points. However, if you release the octoshot on beat you get a multiplyer all the way up to x8.

The best way to always be on beat, in my opinion, is to tap your foot or bob your head to the beat. You can't release on the offbeat only the downbeat.

Being a huge fan of shumps, rez, rail shooters, and having played the drums for years this game is a godsend.

Also, while I love the game.. passion is out of this world and makes me want a new panzer dragoon so bad.

The only complaint I have with it is the real life chick, I dont know why but it would be cool if it was just a girls outline like in rez.

The challenge mode however reminds me a lot more of rez's backgrounds and music.

Top Bottom