• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child Of Eden |OT| of Amazing Visuals, Fantastic Music and Multi-Platform Bliss

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
venne said:
Sounds like an Eden based music visualizer, which would be awesome. That's pure speculation, though.
Yeah, there was that one mode in E4 though where you could play your own tracks... just sayin.

Garcia Hotspur

Neo Member
Not sure what would be consider a spoiler for this game so I blocked out a lot.

I have a question for anyone who has gotten 100% purification on
Evolution

I'm getting 100% on every area except the last in which I keep getting 99%. It's gotta be either the part with the
translucent whale thing
or
when it turns into the phoenix.
Anyway, my question is what % should I have before the
whale turns into the phoenix?

Thanks.

goldenpp72

Garcia Hotspur said:

Evolution

I'm getting 100% on every area except the last in which I keep getting 99%. It's gotta be either the part with the
translucent whale thing
or

Thanks.

Got it, read my post below if you still don't :)

Garcia Hotspur said:

Evolution

translucent whale thing
or

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure you're missing something on the whale part, cause you can't mess anything up on the phoenix part :)

ashbash159 said:
What's the thing you unlock in the extras--bottom row, middle?
It's a beat box mate, it allows you to change the sounds of the lock on and tracer, there are four different sounds available.

goldenpp72

Gold starred level 2 on normal, apparently the achievement is to gold star on both hard and normal so yeah that's insane.

For the guy who was having issues with the whale part, you need 50 percent upon defeating the whale. I just did a few runs to get my gold star and noticed that, that was actually an easy level to do it in.

DJ_Tet

Banned
My gf is kinda into older games and stuff, but she's never really picked up one of my new games.

Last night she not only picked up the reverse covered Child of Eden but she remarked at how nice of a cover it is and asked about the game. MS really should have made that the default cover.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Got this game today and if this is the future of gaming, SIGN ME UP.

This is absolutely phenomenal--anybody who bashes Kinect needs to play this game.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think I might have liked Journey a little better than the boss rush in REZ. Not really sure though, I've only played it once.

Well so now I've see all the levels. This is game is good. It's really really good, but I can't help but be a little disappointed with the first two levels. Compared to how dense and exciting some of the later parts are, those first two levels come off as barren and boring. I never felt that way in the first game, Area2 was my favorite. Just a nitpick.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm listening to 8-4play, Mielke said the delay is deliberate to encourage sweeping motions. Really makes me want to try it again with Kinect.

No money hat and 360 was lead SKU. Pretty interesting stuff.

TwiztidElf

Front runner for my 2011 goty also.
Fantastic game.

I prefer it on controller though. Tried it with Kinect, and wasn't feeling it. Just wasn't cutting it for me when under the pump switching between purple/blue and activating euphoria.

goldenpp72

Jtwo said:
I think I might have liked Journey a little better than the boss rush in REZ. Not really sure though, I've only played it once.

Well so now I've see all the levels. This is game is good. It's really really good, but I can't help but be a little disappointed with the first two levels. Compared to how dense and exciting some of the later parts are, those first two levels come off as barren and boring. I never felt that way in the first game, Area2 was my favorite. Just a nitpick.

Odd, after score attacking both level 1 and 2 I LOVE them, give them time and go for points :)

goldenpp72 said:
Odd, after score attacking both level 1 and 2 I LOVE them, give them time and go for points :)

I'm not the big fan of the first archive, I mean it's great but not as great as the rest of them. As for the second archive it's simply amazing, I love it a lot. It's my favorite level in the game.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
soultron said:
Motherfuckers, don't make me buy a Kinect for this.

Rez is my personal GOAT. Well, tied with Parappa. Still.

If Rez is your GOAT then you probably should by a Kinect for this.

goldenpp72

I loved rez but I think I would have some buyers remorse if the only game I wanted kinect for was this, it IS a great experience but, you should at least tack on stuff like kinect sports and dance central, as child of eden joins the rank as top 3 for kinect.

still, 200 for this game would be steep.

Plinko

goldenpp72 said:
I loved rez but I think I would have some buyers remorse if the only game I wanted kinect for was this, it IS a great experience but, you should at least tack on stuff like kinect sports and dance central, as child of eden joins the rank as top 3 for kinect.

still, 200 for this game would be steep.

True--Dance Central and Kinect Sports as well. They're all worth it.

goldenpp72

I think it's important to know why I say that as well, kinect play seems pretty.. impossible to get 100 percent gold stars with, anyone who is looking to juice this game for all it's worth will most likely spend much more time on a pad than on kinect. So while the kinect experience is kind of beautiful in its own way, it still is at its core a game that will require more reflex then I think most kinect users can muster.

So while it's awesome to play through with kinect, you might only do it once or twice and then you have a big paper weight on your tv, but I totally love my kinect for this on top of a couple other out and upcoming stuff (like draco)

Just picked this up. I've only played the first two levels, but this game is already way more fun than Rez. Glad to see The Miz is still awesome.

I'm having problems with this game. I beat the first three stages, but the fourth - I just keep on getting my ass handed to me. I've been at it for an hour now. The game is ceasing to be fun!

I'm playing with a controller and I'm just not fast enough to knock away all the purple projectiles. Every single time. I was swearing at my TV. Rez wasn't this hard. What the hell.

This is a shame, too, because the fourth stage was really cool compared to the first three. More Rez-like in the music, which syncs up better with the action than the first three stages, which are a little too twinkly ambiance for me. I hope the fifth stage is awesome like Rez's.

What resolution is this game running at? It looks nice on my rommate's TV.

Majora said:
Great game but have to agree with Level 5 being a disappointment. Level 5 of Rez is amazing and unforgettable whereas Level 5 of Child of Eden is just a boss rush. I kept waiting for something amazing to kick in but it never happened; probably my least favourite level in the game.

Shit. Seriously, shit.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
If you listen to the 8-4 Play podcast, they reveal that the game was designed for controller in the beginning, Kinect was added later :)

soultron

Banned
Wario64 said:
If you listen to the 8-4 Play podcast, they reveal that the game was designed for controller in the beginning, Kinect was added later :)
Was going to get Child of Eden regardless, but I think I'll skip on Kinect (for now) just hearing that. Thanks!

Just played with a controller for the first time, after using Kinect for the last few days . Man it feels weird, and I did worse. I'm sure if I played more it'd probably be the other way around though.

goldenpp72

hardcastle_mccormick said:
I'm having problems with this game. I beat the first three stages, but the fourth - I just keep on getting my ass handed to me. I've been at it for an hour now. The game is ceasing to be fun!

I'm playing with a controller and I'm just not fast enough to knock away all the purple projectiles. Every single time. I was swearing at my TV. Rez wasn't this hard. What the hell.

This is a shame, too, because the fourth stage was really cool compared to the first three. More Rez-like in the music, which syncs up better with the action than the first three stages, which are a little too twinkly ambiance for me. I hope the fifth stage is awesome like Rez's.

What resolution is this game running at? It looks nice on my rommate's TV.

Shit. Seriously, shit.

The thing to understand with the bullet spam is that they are kind of meant to be dispatched in an exact pattern, and they usually flow right into the exact pattern they expect to be dispensed in, it's tricky but keep at it.

Alex Dee

Neo Member
Playing through this baby again with a controller this time. Amazingly different experience, but no less engrossing. Is it normal to be getting much worse scores with a real controller than I was with Kinect though? Seems like Kinect mode may have been easier or soemthing.

GOTY for me so far and first game to really make me grin since Mario Galaxy.

goldenpp72

Alex Dee said:
Playing through this baby again with a controller this time. Amazingly different experience, but no less engrossing. Is it normal to be getting much worse scores with a real controller than I was with Kinect though? Seems like Kinect mode may have been easier or soemthing.

GOTY for me so far and first game to really make me grin since Mario Galaxy.

I found I got better scores with kinect until I found out about the scoring system being connected to the music, i'd range a 300-400k score on kinect, but I can't get near 900k-1 million on a kinect.. maybe I suck with it.

I got 4 stars the first time I played level 1 with Kinect. Every time I've played it since with a controller I've got 2. I've never got over 2 stars on levels 1-3 with a controller either :(

I don't like the Kinect controls. It's just not for me.

I've beat level 3, gotta grind some to unlock level 4 because I'm terrible at the game even though I thought I was alright at Rez. It's really a drag having to unlock things like this. So far the game isn't really doing as much for me as Rez did, I'm hoping it's a case of the game improving as you understand it more.

I just finished the err "campaign" - so good. I think Evolution is my favourite archive and I had the most trouble with Beauty.

I've only just (lol) really discovered how the multipliers work and it can be a little difficult to manage under stress (I never bothered with the scoring in Rez HD) but I got over 500K on my first try of hard mode so I'm getting there!

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
I apparently really suck at the 4th level.
Yeah after two days of getting my ass kicked, I just beat that level today by the skin of my teeth.

There's a part where there are these square things on sticks you have to hit, I always get hit a lot in that area by the purple missiles. I don't even know where they're coming from.

If anyone has any advice for that section I'd love to hear it.

goldenpp72

I figured i'd post a quick review here in case anyone cares, i don't do it often but I did enjoy it enough to do so, hopefully that's not frowned upon here.

Anyways, my opinion of kinect usage in this game changed a bit, but not for the bad so much, I'll explain later. This review is based primarily using a controller to play however.

The first thing to understand about this game, it's short. Real short, a person could easily run through this game in an hour if they were talented, this is where the point comes where you have to assess if the games values can suit you still. COE is not a game about beating it once and then putting it away forever. Doing so means you'll get one great experience that ends too soon. The longevity aspect is about meticulously mastering each level until you get gold star ranks, beating the game on hard mode, collecting all the collectables, unlockables, etc. In this case, anyone who likes COE a lot will continue to return over and over in order to beat their last score, up their percentages, and finally hit that gold star before putting a close on that chapter and heading to the next. If you have friends or competition, the scoring system would make for a great leaderboard attack as well. With that all out of the way, I'll go into the details.

First off, child of eden is a sequel to rez, anyone who has played rez will be somewhat comfortable here, but that comfort can convert to pain depending on your skill level pretty fast. Where as rez was a very relaxing, trippy game with amusing gameplay, child of eden deepens the gameplay significantly by upping the ante severely. Simply surviving the levels is challenging sometimes, this is done because unlike rez which only used a lock on laser, COE adds a secondary mode of fire in the form of a rapid fire laser. This laser comes into play on many levels, but only in that anything purple must be destroyed using it. This can be enemies, all bullets, or gates, etc. Learning to juggle and understand the patterns is a big part of getting through a level.

The gameplay is a lot better basically, it's more frantic, deep and engaging than rez and much more in line with a normal rail shooter, so if you felt rez was a bit too simple or slow, understand that is something COE does not suffer from. Aside from the gameplay being a lot tighter and fun, the game centers on absolutely stunningly beautiful levels, very surreal with tons of variety, great music, and is overall incredibly immersive. The beauty of it is that the more skilled you get, the better it flows, the more immersive it becomes. My only disappointment in this game vs rez is that the final level was much more underwhelming than what is found in rez, everything else is as good or superior.

With the basic gameplay out of the way, the scoring system is where the game really shines above other games (especially rez). Scoring isn't just done by how well you chain lock ons or enemies killed, but in fact how on rhythm you are with the music when you release the shots. It sounds confusing at first, but once you get it, it clicks so well and creates an even more engrossing experience, that often leads to frustration when you miss the score or percentage by a tad, but still. The combination of excellent mechanics, beautiful scenery, and incredibly addictive scoring system make for one of the best rail shooters out there, and one of the more challenging ones to boot.

The kinect experience is different, it's a comparable control mechanic to the control pad in that it's very accurate and responsive, it also makes the reticule a lot bigger so it has some advantages, anyone who is playing the game to simply win, will probably be on par with kinect as they are on a controller, on top of that, the kinect experience DOES feel more immersive if all you're doing is trying to experience the game, being near your tv and moving along with the game really is something to behold, unfortunately, once you get done with that and decide to score attack for high scores, at least for me, is when the kinect function becomes more or less useless. Maybe someone with better coordination could do it and time will determine that as the leaderboards are separate for both, but having to time the release of shots to the music for high scores didn't work anywhere near as well for me simply because a button press is faster than a movement forward with your hand.

Basically, kinect is really a great perk to have for this game, but unless you plan on running through it once and quitting forever, you'll spend the vast majority of your time using the controller.

Overall, this game is amazing, beautiful and addictive, very challenging but fairly so, and one of the most unique experiences this generation, but despite how much I will enjoy this package, it has to be said that even though you can score attack, play on hard, unlock stuff, etc, the core game is short and should be approached with that understanding. The only quality thing I can really detract this game for is that the videos are low quality, which isn't a fault of the dvd format because the entire game only uses 2 gigs of space, kind of silly to do that for a disc release.

8.5: If it were longer i'd say it could reach status of one of the best games this gen, but as it is, it's just one of the most unique experiences you could have with the 360 (or soon ps3) and is entirely worth a purchase if you either want to dust off your kinect or just go crazy from the start with a pad, as long as you're up for a fun, if short rail shooter with awesome visuals. This game should not be missed if you desire to experience something that might not ever happen again. Keep in mind that in my mind, even if this is among the better experiences this gen, i don't think it should get a free pass being so short, it's just that damn good.

Clunker

Is there a Direct Assault analog in Child of Eden, where you can go through the whole game in one swoop without being dumped back to the menu? This was the way I rolled with Rez: Direct Assault, no HUD, just me and the music.

I think I'll dick around with the scoreboards a little bit, but ultimately this is not the kind of game I want to stress myself out over by focusing on squeezing the highest score multipliers out of it.

Clunker said:
Is there a Direct Assault analog in Child of Eden, where you can go through the whole game in one swoop without being dumped back to the menu? This was the way I rolled with Rez: Direct Assault, no HUD, just me and the music.

I think I'll dick around with the scoreboards a little bit, but ultimately this is not the kind of game I want to stress myself out over by focusing on squeezing the highest score multipliers out of it.
From what I hear, no. =(

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
It's cool, over the years I've come to accept that nothing will ever top hud-free, first-person, Punk visuals Direct Assault on Rez.

Coldsnap

I believe every hardcore gamer should hold this game dear to their hearts. After playing the first level I was taken over with a feeling of appreciation that this game exists.

Coldsnap said:
I believe every hardcore gamer should hold this game dear to their hearts. After playing the first level I was taken over with a feeling of appreciation that this game exists.

Mate, those are awesome words, I quoted them a few times today already, next step is using them as a sig :)

Teknoman

Neuromancer said:
Yeah after two days of getting my ass kicked, I just beat that level today by the skin of my teeth.

There's a part where there are these square things on sticks you have to hit, I always get hit a lot in that area by the purple missiles. I don't even know where they're coming from.

If anyone has any advice for that section I'd love to hear it.

Try to move your point of view, since sometimes the satellites are being built outside the screen.

Cheska

I feel like I'm doing something wrong in Beauty.
the flower at the end keeps kicking my ass. Seriously, I can't get all the bullets in time :(

Cheska said:
I feel like I'm doing something wrong in Beauty.
the flower at the end keeps kicking my ass. Seriously, I can't get all the bullets in time :(

Yeah, I had trouble with this, keep the reticule near the centre - you can catch bullets as they are being released and forming rather than running around after them spreading out and heading your way.

I kept my fingers on both buttons and alternated accordingly.

Nekobo

Beat the game with a controller. Finale felt a bit...anti-climatic. Guess I was expecting something more (especially considering how challenging stage 4 is compared to the others), like one of the posters mentioned earlier.

Still, a very worthwhile experience. Makes me wish I had a Kinect so I can experience it motion control style, too.

Doodis

Made it through on normal with Kinect tonight. What a great experience. I know there's lots of replay value, but I wish the game had five more levels. Really cool artwork all along the way. I didn't cry. But it was still awesome.

I had the most trouble with the third level. I think I died four times on that one, once on the fourth, and three or so on the last.

Someone said it earlier, but it's a bummer they only unlock a portion of the Genki Rockets videos. I feel like I earned the right to watch the whole thing! Hope they release another album soon. It would be smart to do so while the game's hot. I know they've got new songs since the last release.

Nert

After playing through all of this game's levels, I'm convinced that it's by far the best looking game that I've ever played. Evolution and Passion, in particular, are stunning. I'm actually finding myself replaying through all of the levels just to see how things look with different visual filters. I'm not quite hooked into chasing high scores yet (like I have been before with games like Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2 and Pac-Man CE DX), but I'm still developing an addiction.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
lol, I think I might be back on the Kinect bandwagon. I tried Kinect again, I think for the first time since knowing the scoring system, I was able to get 791k points on the first level on normal. Ranked #6 now on Kinect leaderboards. Once you know how to get the swipe motion down accurately 100% of the time, you can do the perfect octa-locks consistently just like the controller. And it FEELS good too when you can do it consistently. Feels more satisfying than controller. Also using a controller in pocket for vibrate to help myself sync in beat. This game REALLY needs a trance vibrator :( It needs it way more than Rez

I'm only able to play with Kinect in short bursts though unless I want a sore arm for the day. I need to recalibrate my Kinect too I think, it's not picking up my left hand for some reason.

This game is too good

seady

FootNinja said:
I get that. Thing is, I can pay 50 dollars for a game with a ton more content and then have replay value on top of that. I am not trying to bad mouth this game in any way, but I cant rationalize 50 dollars for something that (based on what I am hearing) has content comparable to some 15 dollar xbla games. At this point I am adding nothing to the thread though, enjoy this bad ass game, people.

This game worth more than those Call of Duty games. Those boring annualize Call of Duty and Madden should have been the ones going for $15 as they are basically the same game every year. It's not like they need to put any work to make in them anyway. Copy and paste and call it a day.

Top Bottom