• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child Of Eden |OT| of Amazing Visuals, Fantastic Music and Multi-Platform Bliss

Hey what's the deal with (what I think is) the end of level 5?

Past all the bosses you're done before, the part where there's a picture of the girl in the middle. Basically it's like the whole screen goes pink and I died without even knowing what hit me! What am I supposed to be doing?

Neuromancer said:
Hey what's the deal with (what I think is) the end of level 5?

Past all the bosses you're done before, the part where there's a picture of the girl in the middle. Basically it's like the whole screen goes pink and I died without even knowing what hit me! What am I supposed to be doing?

Is that where those big, worm-things made of cubes are moving around it? There are two things - you will see a circle of thin purple lines (|||||||||) closing in on the sphere as you are shooting them - aim for their tails. If you do not defeat them before the circle encloses the sphere will shoot out a load of gold stars that you must destroy with the rapid fire

Phonomezer said:
Is that where those big, worm-things made of cubes are moving around it? There are two things - you will see a circle of thin purple lines (|||||||||) closing in on the sphere as you are shooting them - aim for their tails. If you do not defeat them before the circle encloses the sphere will shoot out a load of gold stars that you must destroy with the rapid fire
Ah thanks!

Now I have to do the whole level over, not sure I have the heart tonight.

saunderez

Neuromancer said:
Ah thanks!

Now I have to do the whole level over, not sure I have the heart tonight.
Here's what worked for me.

When the creatures surround Lumi take out your rapid fire laser and fire into the middle until they change colours. They will go purple and then blue I think. When they are blue they leave the surface and you can use the lock on laser to target the small yellow targets around Lumi. They will then turn purple and you will need to use the rapid fire laser to stop any purple debris from hitting you (it approaches from the right). Rinse/repeat until it's all over. Would be so much easier to explain this if the game wasn't just a heap of abstract creatures and colours lol.

kyo27

seady said:
This game worth more than those Call of Duty games. Those boring annualize Call of Duty and Madden should have been the ones going for $15 as they are basically the same game every year. It's not like they need to put any work to make in them anyway. Copy and paste and call it a day.

You might have a case with Madden, but to say Call of Duty is the same every year is just ignorant. The fact is the multiplayer really gives those types of games tremendous replay value which justifies its cost. Single player only games don't have nearly the replay value no matter how good it may be. It seems like this forum likes to hate on anything mainstream just to be hip.

Call of Eden would be cool, it would be set in WWII after the British government administered LSD to some troops and they have to shoot "the colours" in sync with the music :p

mattfabb

Banned
kyo27 said:
You might have a case with Madden, but to say Call of Duty is the same every year is just ignorant. The fact is the multiplayer really gives those types of games tremendous replay value which justifies its cost. Single player only games don't have nearly the replay value no matter how good it may be. It seems like this forum likes to hate on anything mainstream just to be hip.

TBF, if you have money to squander on yearly iteractions of 'shoot the nazi', you probably should not be speaking about 'value'. its a subjective issue, I personally rather spend 10 hours on CoE than 300 on COD.

NeXuSDK

This game right here finally shows the real potential of Kinect. It's amazing. The best game I've tried in a long time.

Shaneus

mattfabb said:
TBF, if you have money to squander on yearly iteractions of 'shoot the nazi', you probably should not be speaking about 'value'. its a subjective issue, I personally rather spend 10 hours on CoE than 300 on COD.
10 hours on CoE and 290 telling everyone how awesome it is! If that's long enough, that is...

NeXuSDK said:
This game right here finally shows the real potential of Kinect. It's amazing. The best game I've tried in a long time.
If they can get this sort of responsiveness before the Kinect has been updated/patched (or whatever) to improve bandwidth, imagine what games down the track like Project Draco will be like. The bar has been set, IMO.

Shaneus said:
If they can get this sort of responsiveness before the Kinect has been updated/patched (or whatever) to improve bandwidth, imagine what games down the track like Project Draco will be like. The bar has been set, IMO.

Replaying through Child of Eden just makes me think of how awesome a Panzer Dragoon would look on current hardware, and how it would feel using Kinect.

I really hope they knock it out of the park with Project Draco.

Nemesis_

It's good to see that Kinect is capable of being much more responsive. Look at how responsive the cursor is on the title screen compared to the dashboard alone. Great stuff.

I thought the delay was a hardware thing, I want patches for everything else so it's this snappy, there's almost zero delay here!!

so many people bag kinect but the hardware itself is great, just needs more/better games to support it

Reading through this thread it's so great to see how many people have fallen in love with this game and have it as their current GOTY. Even if it falls down peoples lists as we enter Q4, given what games have already come out this year, it's something of an achievement :)

NeXuSDK

Nemesis556 said:
It's good to see that Kinect is capable of being much more responsive. Look at how responsive the cursor is on the title screen compared to the dashboard alone. Great stuff.

So true. While I've been longing for more Dance Central-esque menues since I tried that menu, Child of Eden proves that the "hover to select" paradigm works extremely well when it's just been programmed the right way.

I hope the new Xbox interface acts similarly.

golem

Phonomezer said:
Replaying through Child of Eden just makes me think of how awesome a Panzer Dragoon would look on current hardware, and how it would feel using Kinect.

They better have something new to show at TGS!

Shaneus

Phonomezer said:

Left hand = dragon steering. Right hand = shooting. BAM.

Shaneus said:
Left hand = dragon steering. Right hand = shooting. BAM.
Open hand = paint lock-on, foward motion/close hand switch = fire off volley. Closed hand = rapid fire/pistol. With a method to change viewing quadrants, like shoulder tracking or gestures, it could be done well, IMO. Kinect is the my preferred way to play CoE as I just score higher with it though not as consistently as controller.

Shaneus

^^ Even better!

I just like the fact that such an awesome game is the first to really reduce the lag down to a barely noticeable margin. Makes me more confident with the possibilities and potential of the device more than just Wii knockoff games.

Untracked

I bought Kinect just for this game and so far (just cleared Matrix) it's worth ever penny. Had some Kinect hiccups at first and was about to give up and use a pad, but after recalibrating it's all working fine.
I've got my vibrating pad in my hoodie and I'm loving it.
On to Stage 2.

Jintor

I was watching GAME show off a demo on the show floor (Supernova Sydney) and a) it was preview code, so not as accurate as retail code, b) the booth was poorly placed, because it had to draw in crowds, but it kept picking up back people instead of the person standing directly in front of the thing, and c) nobody actually explained how to play it with the Kinect to people playing. So you get just people flailing around in front of the thing, with no understanding of what they were doing...

Terrible conditions for an incredible game, but I appreciate that it's difficult to show off a Kinect game, really - so much potential for mishaps.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Wario64 said:
If you listen to the 8-4 Play podcast, they reveal that the game was designed for controller in the beginning, Kinect was added later :)

It's hard to design for technology that doesn't exist. Then the Kinect was introduced to them and they realized how compatible it is with their vision.

My biggest takeaway from the podcast is that they were able to achieve near one to one accuracy with Kinect. The delay, as slight as it is, was deliberately programmed to encourage the players to play with smooth sweeping motions. That bodes well for the future of Kinect

STG

what exactly do I need to do to unlock all the garden stuff, just played one stage in hard mode and it had 'new' version of one of the garden items, but only one

how do I get the other ones? :I

STG said:
what exactly do I need to do to unlock all the garden stuff, just played one stage in hard mode and it had 'new' version of one of the garden items, but only one

how do I get the other ones? :I

You can replay each archives as many times as you want, even on normal to collect all the items. They basically are awarded just for beating the archive. Once you picked one it will never show up in the rewards window again at the end of the stage, so every time you beat the archive you get something new :)

Got to experience COE last night, it was also the first time I tried kinect. Saying I was blown away is an understatement. Reminded me of the first time I played samba de amgo in the arcade. I love it when a game feels more than a game.
I don't think my arm has ever been this sore...more than worth it.

Nemesis556 said:
Part of it is you don't have to hover your hand over the option you want for nearly as long, also the menus are much more streamlined.

So, the reviews and impressions for this game have been excellent. The problem? I don't own a Kinect or Child of Eden. I am thinking about picking them up but I am looking for the best deals. Best Buy is selling a Kinect for $150 but you then get a $25 gift card and Toys R Us is selling Child of Eden for $40. Does anyone know of any other better deals?

Quicksilver4648 said:
So, the reviews and impressions for this game have been excellent. The problem? I don't own a Kinect or Child of Eden. I am thinking about picking them up but I am looking for the best deals. Best Buy is selling a Kinect for $150 but you then get a $25 gift card and Toys R Us is selling Child of Eden for $40. Does anyone know of any other better deals?
Toys R Us is definitely the best deal for CoE that I'm aware of. That Best Buy deal sounds very good too.

Untracked

I'm really struggling towards the end of Archive 5. Not exactly sure what I'm supposed to be doing. The Boss health bar isn't going down, I must be missing something...

STG

enough for now, my thumb is hurting from all that press, hold, release action

it is REZ all over again, I love this pain :>

Doodis

Untracked said:
I'm really struggling towards the end of Archive 5. Not exactly sure what I'm supposed to be doing. The Boss health bar isn't going down, I must be missing something...
Check out saunderez's post earlier up with the spoilers blocked out. Explains what you have to do.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Getting very familiar with the game now. It is such a worthy successor in every way. Fucking amazing game. I'm legitimately surprised how good it is.

LiK said:
Got 5 stars and over 800k in Matrix. Part of the club with Wario now. ^^

Fuck, I keep getting 99%... I have no idea what I keep missing, I have a feeling it's one of those annoying little octopus things :mad:

Only 600K too, any tips for scoring?

Ok so I'm #2 on the overall leaderboards in Matrix Normal (Controller).
I have 1,119,800 pts and 5 stars. How much points do you have to get for a freaking gold star?!

bubnbob

Banned
7echnicolor said:
Ok so I'm #2 on the overall leaderboards in Matrix Normal (Controller).
I have 1,119,800 pts and 5 stars. How much points do you have to get for a freaking gold star?!

You need 100% Purify and 800k+ for Gold

Well I figured out what I have to do to get 800K/1mil+ on Matrix, I was using the rapid fire rather than the lock on for the boss, herp.

goldenpp72

kiryogi said:
Curious. Does the 800k apply to controller or is it also kinect?

What do you mean, can it be done on either? the requirements are the same for both.

I just gold starred level 1 on hard, this game is insanely frustrating when you constantly miss 1 percent.. I haven't even begun levels 3/4/5 on normal for score, lol.

Untracked

I'm so impressed with Kinect on this game. After watching Microsoft's E3 Conference I was sure I'd never buy one, all the games they showed put me off (specifically the Star Wars lunge towards enemy stuff). I said things like "it's for casuals" or "it's taken the skill out of gaming".
I actually find Child of Eden easier to control and more responsive using Kinect than with a pad.
I'm amazed!
Also, Heavenly Star (Glorious remix?) could quite possibly be the most infectious tune I've ever heard. I cannot get it out of my head. Is there a soundtrack I can buy anywhere?

I was able to use it sitting down, but I hade to put a CD rack behind my tv and put the kinect on top so it was tilting downwards at me.

Feels pretty strange doing it sitting down, it's a lot more natural playing this game standing.

Top Bottom