• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child Of Eden |OT| of Amazing Visuals, Fantastic Music and Multi-Platform Bliss

B-Dex

Well finally beat the 5th archive. Pretty great experience. Especially once you're in the groove with the Kinect controls.

Doodis

Untracked said:
Is there a soundtrack I can buy anywhere?
The first Genki Rockets album (which includes the Heavenly Star remix) is available for download on both Amazon and iTunes.

Neuromancer said:
So I just beat the game and unlocked some
Prologue level or something. Where do I find it
? thanks.
I've been wondering the same thing. It was
Prologue 3 or something, I think.
I don't see it anywhere. :/

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
As a huge Rez fan, I'm totally impressed with what they've done here: some nice wrinkles to the mechanics and using Level 5 of Rez as a jumping-off point of sorts.

Had a bunch of friends over for a 22nd birthday celebration and they tried out Child of Eden.
Convinced the most anti-Xbox and anti-Kinect (and someone who wouldn't be into Child of Eden anyway) to have a go and he really enjoyed it.
So, yay Child of Eden. Positive responses all round.

Been a hectic few days, so hope to spend a bit more time with it tomorrow.

BigNastyCurve said:
Pretty interesting game, but it's a pain standing the entire time with the Kinect.

Just came in to post this. I went and rented and yeah..it was pretty fun but totally prefer a controller. standing there flicking my wrist all around just wasn't fun.

The fucking music is glorious though.

Coldsnap

Where is everyones kinect located in regards to their tv? Mine is above my tv just an inch or so on a shelf. My TV sits sort of low, center is eye level when sitting on couch; because of this when I motion foward to let go of shows my camera moves a bit. Anyone know what Im talking about?

goldenpp72

So I now have 6 of the needed 10 gold stars.. beauty was a total nightmare, please someone tell me (honestly of course) if course 4 or 5 are any easier -_-

Beauty just required so much finess, but I did manage to rank number 2 in the world on the controller/hard leaderboard for it, lost by 10k :(

Coldsnap said:
Where is everyones kinect located in regards to their tv? Mine is above my tv just an inch or so on a shelf. My TV sits sort of low, center is eye level when sitting on couch; because of this when I motion foward to let go of shows my camera moves a bit. Anyone know what Im talking about?
Someone else mentioned that, I also have my Kinect located under my TV but I haven't noticed this issue. I also stand pretty far back which might help.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Coldsnap said:

Try making sure you are actually pushing forward. My girlfriend was playing and although I told her it was a forward push she kept thrusting her hand up and it was moving her camera. Once she adjusted and made a conscious decision to thrust straight she no longer had that problem.

You also don't need a really exaggerated movement to activate the shot, a small motion should do it.

Someone over at CAG says that Child of Eden is running for $40 at TRU this week. That true?

Best Buy is also offering a $25 gift card with a Kinect purchase this week....Rrrr. More tough decisions.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
ToyMachine228 said:
Someone over at CAG says that Child of Eden is running for $40 at TRU this week. That true?

Best Buy is also offering a $25 gift card with a Kinect purchase this week....Rrrr. More tough decisions.

Today may be the last day Child of Eden is $39.99. It's an unadvertised sale, weird enough. But it's $39.96 at Fry's too if you have that around

Wario64 said:
Today may be the last day Child of Eden is $39.99. It's an unadvertised sale, weird enough. But it's $39.96 at Fry's too if you have that around

God damn it, I didn't know that until just now. I don't have a Fry's around either. Don't see anything for the game in Best Buy, TRU or Target for this coming week.

C4Lukins

For those that have played a lot with the Kinect, what is your ideal distance from the device with Child of Eden? I have been having some trouble finding a sweet spot.

Also with the right hand lock on, are you open palming it then flicking your wrist to fire or lunging your arm forward to fire?

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
ToyMachine228 said:
God damn it, I didn't know that until just now. I don't have a Fry's around either. Don't see anything for the game in Best Buy, TRU or Target for this coming week.

Well, you can always order it off TRU's website. Still $40 with free shipping. Probably only a couple hours left.

Coldsnap

StudioTan said:
Try making sure you are actually pushing forward. My girlfriend was playing and although I told her it was a forward push she kept thrusting her hand up and it was moving her camera. Once she adjusted and made a conscious decision to thrust straight she no longer had that problem.

You also don't need a really exaggerated movement to activate the shot, a small motion should do it.

Alrighty will try that out Zappa

Another thing is using Euphoria power-up when i throw both hands in the air the screen jerks up. I guess this is the outcome of having your one controll also controlling the camera

Cheska

Jeez, Passion is no joke. I've died four times already, and still haven't beaten it. So far it's my least favorite level though as far as visuals go.

Cheska said:
Jeez, Passion is no joke. I've died four times already, and still haven't beaten it. So far it's my least favorite level though as far as visuals go.
Yeah I had a hard time with that one too. I've only beaten it once, I've been hesitant to go back.

Anony

anyone know if there's some punishment for holding the RT (spamming the purple laser) and spamming the regular laser?

LiK

Neuromancer said:
Yeah I had a hard time with that one too. I've only beaten it once, I've been hesitant to go back.

i like it now. not a fan of Beauty tho. really hard to get perfects there cuz it travels faster than the other stages, imo.

saunderez

Coldsnap said:
There needs to be some tips on high scoring because I'm not that great.
You just need to have full lock ons and shoot on the down beat of the music to build up a multiplier. You'll see Good or Perfect if you are on time, you won't see anything at all if you're not.

Doodis

C4Lukins said:
For those that have played a lot with the Kinect, what is your ideal distance from the device with Child of Eden? I have been having some trouble finding a sweet spot.

Also with the right hand lock on, are you open palming it then flicking your wrist to fire or lunging your arm forward to fire?
I actually bring my wrist back and then fling it forward, like I'm flicking something off my hand.

Anony

what's the max stars you can get on a stage?
i keep getting 2, first level 3

also, is there a way to increase the analog sensitivity

Anony said:
what's the max stars you can get on a stage?
i keep getting 2, first level 3

also, is there a way to increase the analog sensitivity

Five gold stars is the max amount of stars you can get, which require 100% Purification and score above 800K. Five silver stars require score above 800K but I'm not sure about purification rate. I really don't know the exact amount of points needed for the rest, sorry mate.

As for the second question, no you can't increase analog sensitivity as of now, which would make things a lot easier :)

So, I beat the game today and played around with some of the extra stuff so I finally feel qualified to render my opinion. I'm actually a bit conflicted on the game. Well not the gameplay, that's amazing and an evolution from Rez, but more of the aesthetics. I'm just not real crazy about the Genki Rockets music or the live action girl that pops up all the time. I knew it was going to be more lighthearted than Rez. I just didn't think it would get so cheesy. Graphically some of the worlds are very pretty, especially the 'underwater' one, but the style that Rez had was so much cooler.

All in all I like the game but it's not going to replace Rez for me any time soon. Fortunately I can play both and have the best of both worlds.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I've actually been playing a bit of Rez after a session of Child of Eden. I like Rez's world/music better too, both soundtracks are pretty different though and I just happen to enjoy electronic more than pop-ish music. But in the end, I'm still playing both games, even though I've played the fuck out of Rez for a decade

Alx

Dabanton said:
Picked this up earlier,just about to install it and then i shall begin.

Going to try it using my Kinect first. :D

Maybe you should try without installing it first, there are suspicions that it could cause errors during gameplay.
Anyway I just bought it myself. I'm not sure I'll have time to play it much (especially since I still have many good games in my backlog), but since the game seems to be in short supply, I didn't want to regret missing the opportunity.

LiK

Wario64 said:
I've actually been playing a bit of Rez after a session of Child of Eden. I like Rez's world/music better too, both soundtracks are pretty different though and I just happen to enjoy electronic more than pop-ish music. But in the end, I'm still playing both games, even though I've played the fuck out of Rez for a decade

same here. Rez is probably one of the most replayable games evar made. plus we dont have silly machine gun fire for enemy bullets. lock-ons all the way!

Untracked

Coldsnap said:
Are you suppose to sacrifice locking onto all targets to staying on the beat? Like killing 1-2 enemies to stay on the beat.
No, select as many enemies as possible then wait for another beat.

You don't have to kill enemies on every beat.
Unless I'm doing it wrong...

I can barely remember a song in Eden. Rez destroys it in that regard. But the way the gameplay takes the beat of the music in to account in Eden is nice. Just gotta get the hang of it.

goldenpp72

I finally beat hope, what an insane rush to finally clear that level, it was one of the few times in life I felt a game actually legitimately hated me, but it's nice to not see it lit up on my screen anymore.

Eat shit Q?

yggdrasil

goldenpp72 said:
I finally beat hope, what an insane rush to finally clear that level, it was one of the few times in life I felt a game actually legitimately hated me, but it's nice to not see it lit up on my screen anymore.

Eat shit Q?

How many levels? 10?

Top Bottom