• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child Of Eden |OT| of Amazing Visuals, Fantastic Music and Multi-Platform Bliss

goldenpp72

Neuromancer said:
Yep one of the best levels in the game but goddamn it's tough!

At first I was a bit disappointed with it, but it really is extra meat i didn't really notice, very cool music, insanely hard and very varied, brilliant level, one of my favs :)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Not sure if I can even get those gold stars, like ever... but I finished the main game. Really fantastic and memorable ending.

real nice bonus at the end of the game... I tried the final archive and liked the Rez-ness of it

And yeah, I'm firmly standing by my GOTY 2011 for this game, regardless of the holiday season... unless America gets a stealth localization of Xenoblade I find hard-pressed to think of anything that will even come close.

Untracked

H3rTz DoNuT said:
I just got my first gold star on hard, so far I menage to get it on Beauty and let me tell you it's not easy :)
Nice one!
I'm still struggling to get 100% Purified on Evolution (Normal). Do Support Items count for 100% Purification?

Well I just tried this on the Kinect, and my god. Beautiful looking game, awesome audio.. KNACKERING on the Kinect.

I will stick with the controller so I can chill out and play this.

Am I alone in this?

LiK

Dabookerman said:
Well I just tried this on the Kinect, and my god. Beautiful looking game, awesome audio.. KNACKERING on the Kinect.

Am I alone in this?
Im with you

goldenpp72

Untracked said:
Nice one!
I'm still struggling to get 100% Purified on Evolution (Normal). Do Support Items count for 100% Purification?

no thankfully, they have their own seperate achievements, purification only counts for enemies and sometimes, button things (like those doors on the first level). Purification also doesn't factor the little shootable targets that can't feasibly be destroyed but still give you points like the little fishes in level 2, but they help to get your multiplier back up and score some extra points.

Untracked

Ok thanks for the tips, I need 'em!
I just got 99% again on Evolution but the only part I didn't hit 100% purification on was the Phoenix part at the end. I didn't think there was anything that could be missed on that part, but maybe I was too slow.
I'll keep trying, so close!

Edit: Done it! :)

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
dogmanstaruk said:
Strange comments going on in the GB review page. It was awarded 3/5.

Several community agreeing with the review, and stating that it should be a downloadable game. Note - the people in question haven't played the game, so how exactly they come to that decision is beyond me.

As much as I like GB and the guys behind it, a fairly large proportion of their community seem to ride on their coat tails and are seem to be only able to mimic the GB staff's opinion and not form their own.

GB's community is on par with GameFAQs so I wouldn't lose any sleep over what they think.

Played through the first level of Rez on XBLA today. Will have to complete my play through. Should hold me over long enough for Child of Eden to price drop, or just have a good sale occur when I'll pick it up. Decided to go without Kinect for now.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Dabookerman said:

Am I alone in this?

Don't know. Depends on what "knackering" means :p

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
It amazed me how easy Rez was after playing through the 5 normal Child of Eden archives.

I decided to play Rez HD yesterday and blitzed through the game in one life and spent most of the last two or three areas in the strongest form (with 100% analyzation on all levels and over 95% shot down on all but Area 5. which I think was 91% shot down).

I was pretty shocked, especially since I remembered having a really difficult time with the last boss all those years ago.

My gosh Passion is awesome! Journey is pretty cool too even though I've died a few times on it and have yet to beat it.

I don't like Evolution very much. Too much going on in that level. And Beauty is a pain in the ass.

soultron

Banned
Got to Beauty in my first sitting. Pretty great so far. The purplazer is a really neat addition to Rez. I wish I had a better sound set up; since I'm limited to my monitor's crappy speakers, half of the experience is pretty much ruined.

Dreams-Visions said:
Guys, is anyone else randomly having a problem where the game says Kinect has a problem?
Try uninstalling the game from the HDD and run it off the disc instead, for some reason that seems to help.

goldenpp72

So I did the last semi challenging thing the game has to offer achievement wise today, all that's left is to get the garden items which means.. beat levels a few more times. I upped my review score to a 9 as if it would matter, based mostly on replaying the 'last' level more and appreciating the changes made to the bosses more, as well as the level hope which ended up being a lot more awesome than I thought. Getting all gold stars in both hard and normal was a huge pain, but I also love the touch of putting mini challenges in levels that unlock pictures, also tied to the achievement.

So, replay levels 11 times and i'll have 1000/1000 and put this game away for awhile, great game, only behind portal 2 imo since it's short as hell. I clocked in 20 hours getting it all done thereabouts :)

goldenpp72

Phonomezer said:
Are you guys getting the gold stars with Kinect or controller? Are you using the bomb thingy (I forget its name)?

Controller for me but many have done it with kinect going by the leaderboards, but being very good at rez I felt comfortable using the pad for hardcore play. As for using euphoria, i'd use it if i felt I could get away with it, you get 100k for finishing with 3 and 25k for 1, 50k for 2, it's nice to have a buffer to work with.

I'd have to say level 4 was the hardest for me, seriously, I beat it on hard after much agony and decided to do normal right after, beat it my first time gold star.. normal is so easy now lol.

goldenpp72 said:
Controller for me but many have done it with kinect going by the leaderboards, but being very good at rez I felt comfortable using the pad for hardcore play. As for using euphoria, i'd use it if i felt I could get away with it, you get 100k for finishing with 3 and 25k for 1, 50k for 2, it's nice to have a buffer to work with.

I'd have to say level 4 was the hardest for me, seriously, I beat it on hard after much agony and decided to do normal right after, beat it my first time gold star.. normal is so easy now lol.

HMMM

Practice makes perfect I guess, it's just that I keep hitting 99% and it's pissing me off.
I will have to go try some more, thanks!

I enjoyed the game a good bit, but it never really clicked for me like Rez did. I think I'm just not a huge fan of the aesthetic or a good chunk of the music. The Kinect controls are really responsive, and once I got into the groove of the game incredibly natural feeling.
Playing Rez now just feels clunky in comparison. I can definitely see the appeal but ultimately it's not really my cup of tea.

Also, it may just be me personally, but this game seems much harder than Rez to play when you're fucked up on the requisite drugs.

goldenpp72

I hit 99 percent so often, it's really infuriating.

Speaking of this game, does anyone think this would make a perfect vita launch game? The track pad on the back would make for an easy way to aim both the lock on and tracer, I think i'd double dip just to support such awesome controls :)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
lol, I still haven't gotten a gold star ranking yet. I haven't really tried hard enough, just did a couple runs on Matrix and I keep missing 1% somewhere -_-

At least I broke a million points

goldenpp72

Wario64 said:
lol, I still haven't gotten a gold star ranking yet. I haven't really tried hard enough, just did a couple runs on Matrix and I keep missing 1% somewhere -_-

At least I broke a million points

Do you have the hub on to tell you the percents per section? The most common percent to be missing on level 1 is the part where those blocks spawn and enemies come out, if you kill the blocks the enemies don't spawn and thus, no points for em :(

goldenpp72

I'm not sure if anyone would be interested but being I toiled through the game without much help (I got a bit) I could try to write out some common stuff to look for. From memory I recall.. (spoilers below if you care)

Level 1

If you don't kill the first enemies soon enough, they don't all spawn.

If you kill the blocks that spawn the little worm things, they won't spawn worm things and you lose em.

Level 2

very straightforward level, just make sure the whale never fires on you or else you lost a percentage, otherwise you should always know what you missed.

Level 3

There is only one spot that I think has missable enemies, in the first area there are I think 3 flowers that can spawn 8 enemies each, if you kill the flowers before they all spawn, you lose em.

Level 4

This one is a real bitch to do purification wise especially on hard. Your first real opportunity to miss something is when you fight the running men, if you don't kill them in time they run away losing percentage. Then you reach a room with satelites that constantly spawn, it's fairly simple but personally I missed one of them a LOT, I found as long as i never moved the view myself, I always got 100 percent. Lastly is the part before the boss, this is by far my hardest spot to 100 percent because whenever one of the tiles explodes into bullets, you're screwed. Try to have enough points so that you can just rapid fire on them, on hard you need to beat the part with 29 percent, on normal it's like 33 or something I think.

Level 5

Oddly it's pretty easy to do this level but there are a few tricks, I never noticed it until I kept losing, but on the first boss the goal is actually to light up all the rings, just you can win without doing so, not doing so means no purification points. The next part you can miss stuff is when you get to the section with the whale, but for some reason the 3 smaller whales seem impossible to not purify as long as you actually try to shoot them.

I don't think you can miss anything else in this level until the end part with the tree which annoyingly does count, I must have missed one little light in this spot like 3 times -_-

Level 6

Not purification related but I made this on another forum, so i'll paste it here (the above stuff i just made for gaf though)

Wave 1

You can't get hit here i'm pretty sure. I put my controller down and didn't take a single hit, lol.

Wave 2

Very easy, just kill the spinny guys quick as I assume they shoot you (I never let them do it if they can)

Wave 3

I don't remember much of this wave.

Wave 4

Same as above.

Wave 5

One of the harder waves, when you see the little black worm things come out with the laser gates, pay no mind to the worms and just focus on doing 360 motions to knock out the laser gates, there are some other parts that are tricky but they are obvious in how to win.

Wave 6

This is just an onslaught of those annoying walls that get taken out by destroying the lights, just kill the lights asap, I found using the tracer on the ones with only one light worked well for me.

Wave 7

Kind of a break wave I felt, not sure what to say about it, I think this is the first wave you have to deal with the expanding walls if i'm not mistaken, if so, just keep using the tracer to expand the walls in directions until it gets big enough to explode.

Wave 8

Kill everything as fast as possible so they don't shoot you, lol.

Wave 9

This wave starts off a lot more intimidating than it ends, basically to start, try to kill the little blackish cube things but focus mostly on the laser fences in the middle, then go back to clean up the bullets if they managed to release them, throughout the rest of the wave it's not too bad, just kill stuff before they shoot ya and when you get inside the thing, it's really easy.

Wave 10

This one throws just about everything at you, my main advice is to kill those black cubes asap, especially right before you enter the finalish area, if you kill them fast enough they don't fire, and they are the biggest issue for the first parts, once you get inside the disco looking area it's actually really easy until you get to this part with rotating lasers, the best way to survive this part is to run your tracer right in the middle left to right (or vice versa) as it continually wipes out the actual threatening lasers (it's trying to intimidate you basically).

If you manage to pass the laser part, you're pretty much home free, some enemies come up but i'm not even sure if you can die there, if you do, you should feel ashamed as they are relatively harmless.

Hope this can help anyone going for gold :)

aDDiKt24

Banned
Well today I decided (As I am hyped for my Child of Eden to arrive) that I would finally sit down and finish Rez HD (XBLA). I never really understood what was so great about it. I just thought it was a stylish on rails shooter for people that like that kind of thing. I was proven wrong. Once I got to stage 4 I was hooked. The music (which I originally thought was average) got a whole lot better as you venture further into the game.

Well, after putting in about 1.5 hours and finishing it. Im in love! What a game. Builds my anticipation more for COE to arrive.

soultron

Banned
aDDiKt24 said:
Well today I decided (As I am hyped for my Child of Eden to arrive) that I would finally sit down and finish Rez HD (XBLA). I never really understood what was so great about it. I just thought it was a stylish on rails shooter for people that like that kind of thing. I was proven wrong. Once I got to stage 4 I was hooked. The music (which I originally thought was average) got a whole lot better as you venture further into the game.

Well, after putting in about 1.5 hours and finishing it. Im in love! What a game. Builds my anticipation more for COE to arrive.
Now get high and play it again. New Game+++ whaddup.

dock

Despite being a fan of Rez, this never came on my radar once.

Hearing positive response, however, has definitely made me curious. I'll consider picking it up on PS3 later in the year.

soultron

Banned
dock said:
Despite being a fan of Rez, this never came on my radar once.

Hearing positive response, however, has definitely made me curious. I'll consider picking it up on PS3 later in the year.
Rez is one of my favourite games of all time. This game wasn't on my radar because I dismissed it as being a Kinect-focused title. It plays really well without any motion gaming stuff though.

The game mechanics themselves are more polished than Rez. The only thing that might not be as good as Rez is the music selection. That's the game in a nutshell. The step forward in mechanics is undeniable, but the step back in terms of soundtrack quality is completely subjective.

Played the first 2 levels and... am disappoint :\

Regarding my experience, kinect plays like shit but most importantly music.
Probably too much voice, It feels like gameplay and music is disconnected; Rez succeded a lot better in this, probably to the different kind of music.

Later I'll try with gamepad, hope it improves the experience.

But for now, not cool Mizuguchi, not cool.

PSGames

Is there a clear cut technique to releasing shots? I'm using the 'press forward' motion but it doesn't seem to always register. I've only played once so perhaps I need to get used to it.

JaggedSac

Went to Best Buy yesterday to pick it up on my way home from work and they were out of stock. They had the plastic divider with Child of Eden on it, but they must have only gotten like 1 or 2 copies in. Guess I'll have to hit up Gamestop.

Coldsnap

Q entertainment should really throw up a blog post on tips to 100% levels and all that crap. 8-4 had some interesting Eden faqs; one was that they played with the advanced control scheme for about 95% of the game so I'm wondering if this is the way to play.

Top Bottom