• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child Of Eden |OT| of Amazing Visuals, Fantastic Music and Multi-Platform Bliss

Glix

Wario64 said:
OP says you can use controllers for vibration if you play it with Kinect. But can you even turn off the idle feature on the controllers? Wireless controller shut themselves off after 15-20 minutes of inactivity.

You are the controller.

Magnus

Wario64 said:
OP says you can use controllers for vibration if you play it with Kinect. But can you even turn off the idle feature on the controllers? Wireless controller shut themselves off after 15-20 minutes of inactivity.

This made a lot more sense with that small PS2-trance-vibrator peripheral that you could slide into a pocket or something. I'm not gonna be holding my controller while using Kinect though. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Wario64 said:
Maybe the game over rides it? Rez HD had the same feature and I don't remember the other controllers turning off, but maybe I didn't play long enough.

Wario64 said:
Neuromancer said:
Maybe the game over rides it? Rez HD had the same feature and I don't remember the other controllers turning off, but maybe I didn't play long enough.
Good question Wario, I think Neuro might be right, but I've asked Q_Ent on twitter to be sure.
I think the vibration setting is considered non-idle.
Either way, will update when I get a response.

I almost forgot this is so close, but I have it preordered, I can't wait.

Rez is one of my favourite game of all times; Mizuguchi's games always have something that instantly gets hold of me.

360 version because I can play it earlier and put Kinect to some use since it is gathering dust.

If ps3 version gets 3D support, I'll double-dip.

And the lack of pc version is indeed disturbing.

megalowho

It's too expensive, and would be perfect to have around as a downloadable title instead of on a disc.. but I have to buy this at launch. I love Rez and Miz's games too much not to. Excited!

So I've found one of my old my own body armor carriers and put into service as a Tetsuya Mizuguchi-style controller corset (although I prefer to call it a vest). Worked out pretty well since there's a pocket on the chest for a ceramic plate, that happened to be perfectly Xbox 360 controller sized:

wNUon.gif

I tested it out on Area 2 of Rez HD, along with two more controllers (one in each side pocket of a pair of cargo pants). It was really cool, the two on my legs were vibrating in sync with one other, and separate from the one on my chest and the one in my hands.

Now I just have to figure out what I'm going to do with the 4th controller (it'll be free since I'll be using Kinect, at least initially).

Grisby said:
It'd be cool but there hasn't been much exposure for the game has there?

Maybe if Best Buy or other stores demo it.

I was more or less talking about me and gamers in general. Haven't been too keen on Kinect since everything that has come out has looked stupid. Just got a big pay raise at work so I'll keep an eye out for positive Kinect news.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Neuromancer said:
So I've found one of my old my own body armor carriers and put into service as a Tetsuya Mizuguchi-style controller corset (although I prefer to call it a vest). Worked out pretty well since there's a pocket on the chest for a ceramic plate, that happened to be perfectly Xbox 360 controller sized:

wNUon.gif

I tested it out on Area 2 of Rez HD, along with two more controllers (one in each side pocket of a pair of cargo pants). It was really cool, the two on my legs were vibrating in sync with one other, and separate from the one on my chest and the one in my hands.

Now I just have to figure out what I'm going to do with the 4th controller (it'll be free since I'll be using Kinect, at least initially).

That's a nice setup. I'll probably go with 2 controllers in cargo pants as well. I want one controller on my chest and one on my back but I haven't figured out how to do it yet (without buying something nice like what you have)

big_z

Zeouterlimits said:
It really is. Wonder what Ubisoft expected when they signed it originally? Then realism hit and they moved marketing dollars elsewhere.

they're shipping limited quantities so im guessing they arent expecting much.

Magnus

a Master Ninja said:
This game is doomed to sell like shit, isn't it?
When the vast majority of consumers don't even know it exists, and so many of the fans like us weren't even initially aware it was out next week?

Yeah.

:(

Zeouterlimits said:
It really is. Wonder what Ubisoft expected when they signed it originally? Then realism hit and they moved marketing dollars elsewhere.

Yeah I can't believe they didn't even really give the game a presence at E3. Have Mizuguchi come over and talk about it during their conference and market it as the first big "must own" Kinect title. Or even that Microsoft didn't do that.

ToyMachine228 said:
Yeah I can't believe they didn't even really give the game a presence at E3. Have Mizuguchi come over and talk about it during their conference and market it as the first big "must own" Kinect title. Or even that Microsoft didn't do that.
to be clear, neither did Ubisoft

Alex Dee

Neo Member
Just preordered this bad boy, really can't wait to give this a whirl. Got it for £15 with a voucher, so hardly breaking the bank.

Jack Random said:
to be clear, neither did Ubisoft

Yeah that's what I was saying. And then I added Microsoft to the same boat at the end. Microsoft could have had it at their conference and marketed it as a "Must own" Kinect game. Ubisoft could have at least got some sunlight on it at their conference.

Aruarian Reflection said:
That's a nice setup. I'll probably go with 2 controllers in cargo pants as well. I want one controller on my chest and one on my back but I haven't figured out how to do it yet (without buying something nice like what you have)
Thanks! Yeah that's exactly what I'm trying to figure out, too, how to secure one to my back. Hmm...

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Varshes said:
Something tells me it's probably for Duke Nukem Forever... ;)
It totally is. The clerk (who's also buying CoE) said I could stop by and pick it up, heh.

After the reviews, I wonder if anyone is going to show up for DNF.

Coin Return said:
It totally is. The clerk (who's also buying CoE) said I could stop by and pick it up, heh.

After the reviews, I wonder if anyone is going to show up for DNF.
Well I dont know about the market at large but I think the kind of people who are the most excited about Duke are the least likely be swayed by negative reviews.

eXistor

Looks great, I'm definitely waiting for the PS3 version. I have zero interest in Kinect, but this needs to be play with motion controls I think.

Phreaker

StuBurns said:
It should have been XBLA/PSN.

I am not sure which route would nab them more money.

Has anyone heard of a demo yet? Maybe that could garner some interest?

Also, for it to have been an XBLA title it would have to fit under the 2GB size. Seeing as there is FMV in the game I'm not sure that would be possible. Anyone have a guess as to the size of the game on disc?

FinKL

This game hyped me for Kinect and I want to support the developer and buy this game, but did I just read somewhere in this thread or review that there are like 5 levels at 25 minutes a piece?

What if I finish it in a couple sittings? :(

FinKL said:

It's similar to Rez. You'll be playing the levels over and over in the various modes. It's not the type of game you play through once or twice and then just call it done.

FinKL said:
This game hyped me for Kinect and I want to support the developer and buy this game, but did I just read somewhere in this thread or review that there are like 5 levels at 25 minutes a piece?

I finished REZ in 1 sitting and ended up putting around 15 hours into unlocking everything. I still go back to rez once in a while to enjoy it, im sure it will be the same with this game. Crank up the surround sound or use a nice pair of head phone and get the trance vibration going, its going to be a blast

StuBurns

Banned
Phreaker said:
I am not sure which root would nab them more money.

Has anyone heard of a demo yet? Maybe that could garner some interest?

Also, for it to have been an XBLA title it would have to fit under the 2GB size. Seeing as there is FMV in the game I'm not sure that would be possible. Anyone have a guess as to the size of the game on disc?
Maybe the size is the issue, but aside from that, you're right, there's a chance although it'd sell much better, it might not make as much, at least initially. However they don't have to take a risk with finding out how many copies to print, and they can keep it in the stores for years easily. It just seems more fitting to me. I really hope it does well though.

mattfabb

Banned
I cannot wait to play this game. I cannot even believe Mizuguchi really made a sequel to Rez. Its like Shenmue 3 and Panzer Dragoon together your first rave party on new year's eve 1999.

mattfabb said:
I cannot wait to play this game. I cannot even believe Mizuguchi really made a sequel to Rez. Its like Shenmue 3 and Panzer Dragoon together your first rave party on new year's eve 1999.

Well...Not really a sequel. More like a spiritual successor.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
It'd be nice if Gamestop was really doing a midnight sale for this game. We all know they're staying up at midnight for Duke Nukem Forever.

I kept thinking I need to stand when playing Kinect, but now that i think about it, I should actually be able to sit. Right?

Also does it need light to see or will the infra red camera be able to pick up what it needs?

Clunker

ToyMachine228 said:
It's similar to Rez. You'll be playing the levels over and over in the various modes. It's not the type of game you play through once or twice and then just call it done.
To expand on this: Rez is a masterpiece of electronica and gaming synergy. Playing through the entire game when you get good takes about an hour tops, but it's such a great merger of music and game that replaying it is like replaying your favorite album. $50 is steep for an album, yes, but as an unequalled blend of trance and vidja gamin', Rez was well worth the price back in the day, and I'm hoping Child of Eden will be as well.

Rez HD coming out at $10 (or was it $15/1200 Allards? I don't quite remember) was a steal, but it was building on the work from a full PS2/Dreamcast title. It's not fair to say that a sequel should necessarily also be a cheaper DD game by that port's virtue alone.

big_z

FinKL said:

a direct feed of two of the levels were on youtube, one which got taken down. i imagine they were full levels since they both ended with a boss and were under 10 minutes long.

unless levels are segmented and have sub bosses i dont know how that reviewer got 25 minutes per level.

Just made a run through in Rez HD. Man I'm rusty. In fact it was touch and go there for a while, I got knocked down to the zero form (or whatever the ball thing is) a couple times. But I made it, and now I'm ready.

I was playing with 3 extra wireless controllers acting as trance vibrators, and I am sorry to report they did in fact turn off after a period of time. =(

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Wario64 said:
It'd be nice if Gamestop was really doing a midnight sale for this game. We all know they're staying up at midnight for Duke Nukem Forever.

If Child of Eden is street dated for Tuesday, and I'm pretty sure it is, than you'll be able to pick it up during the Duke midnight launch.

Top Bottom