• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child Of Eden |OT| of Amazing Visuals, Fantastic Music and Multi-Platform Bliss

ZealousD said:
If Child of Eden is street dated for Tuesday, and I'm pretty sure it is, than you'll be able to pick it up during the Duke midnight launch.

It is. My Gamestop confirmed they had it in the back last week.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
ZealousD said:
If Child of Eden is street dated for Tuesday, and I'm pretty sure it is, than you'll be able to pick it up during the Duke midnight launch.

Yes, but if it wasn't for Duke Nukem Forever, you wouldn't be able to purchase this game at midnight

Neuromancer said:
Just made a run through in Rez HD. Man I'm rusty. In fact it was touch and go there for a while, I got knocked down to the zero form (or whatever the ball thing is) a couple times. But I made it, and now I'm ready.

I was playing with 3 extra wireless controllers acting as trance vibrators, and I am sorry to report they did in fact turn off after a period of time. =(

Can't believe no one said anything about this ever since the XBLA release. Proof that no one really used this feature?

Sounds like you'll either need a wired controller or you'll need to press a button every 15 minutes on each controller (lol)

Wario64 said:
Can't believe no one said anything about this ever since the XBLA release. Proof that no one really used this feature?

Sounds like you'll either need a wired controller or you'll need to press a button every 15 minutes on each controller (lol)
Yeah I never really used it before last night, not for any length of time. Oh well.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
cjelly said:
Elastic bands on the analogue sticks might work.

I think the sticks have to be moved still. Not gonna lie, I used rubber band tricks to get an achievement in Superman Returns and farming weapons in EDF. I think controller still auto-off'd.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Wario64 said:
I think the sticks have to be moved still. Not gonna lie, I used rubber band tricks to get an achievement in Superman Returns and farming weapons in EDF. I think controller still auto-off'd.

No, I definitely used rubber bands when I was doing the trick for the Borderlands DLC collectibles. My system was on for hours at a time.

Wario64 said:
Yes, but if it wasn't for Duke Nukem Forever, you wouldn't be able to purchase this game at midnight

Well yeah, but if they did a midnight for Child of Eden when no other game came out, you might have one person show up at each store.

If that.

yggdrasil

Called my Gamestop; they said no one in the DC area was doing a midnight launch because preorder volume (for DNF) was so small. I can only imagine how many orders of magnitude smaller the CoE volume was.

Just saw the launch trailer over at IGN. Isn't much of a trailer but this isn't really the type of game a trailer can do justice.

Seriously considering buying a Kinect and Child of Eden to try to cheer myself up from the Heat's loss...

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Just got home and installed my copy, it's 2.4GB if anyone was curious.

Shit's about to get real. After I eat my crunch wrap supremes.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Guardian UK's gushing review:

no matter how colossal the TV or how expensive the surround-sound setup, it doesn't feel sufficient to do this extraordinary game justice. Tetsuya Mizuguchi has crafted a spiritual successor to Dreamcast favourite Rez that provides such a spectacular audiovisual experience that standing before it in jeans and a T-shirt makes you feel rather unworthy.

Mesmerising with a control pad, it becomes something truly astounding with Kinect, the responsive motion controls bringing you closer to this ethereal cavalcade of imagery.

As you surf through Earth's collated memories, including images contributed to Mizuguchi by fans, there's a sense of poignancy that much of our communication these days is virtual, the yearning for that physical connection oddly exemplified by the Kinect controls. It's a rare game that can make you think quite so deeply about the human condition and it speaks volumes for how affecting this genuinely transcendental game can be if you surrender to its otherworldly brilliance.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/jun/14/child-of-eden-game-review

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I have no idea what to do about which version of this to get. Would be a lot easier to choose if I thought I was getting a Kinect any time soon.

Jintor

Does it have 'hope and happiness to all' and the end of the manual?

Those are the crucial elements

I think that review is a little too gushing but it's true that I felt a really intense experience while playing this game for review, especially in the last boss-rush battle stage

MetatronM said:
I have no idea what to do about which version of this to get. Would be a lot easier to choose if I thought I was getting a Kinect any time soon.
Do you want the game now? There's only one choice.

MetatronM said:

I'm waiting on the PS3 version for the sole reason of not buying into this MS exclusive timed shit. I can wait. Hell it might even be cheaper then.

Jintor

FuzzyNorman said:
So after you complete all 5 or so main levels, what is there to do after? Are there bonus stages or challenges?

Do it again on hard mode, change the visual/audio styles, use a controller this time, use multiple controllers this time, try and complete the Hope archive (series of levels, doesn't seem to end, no health pickups)

It's pretty content-light unfortunately, since it's really all about the experience

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Neuromancer said:
Do you want the game now? There's only one choice.

Seriously, if you are a real Mizuguchi/Rez fan, you'll buy the X360 version right now. Why the hell deprive yourself of Child of Eden for a couple more months? You know you're gonna buy it anyway.

Wario64 said:
Seriously, if you are a real Mizuguchi/Rez fan, you'll buy the X360 version right now. Why the hell deprive yourself of Child of Eden for a couple more months? You know you're gonna buy it anyway.
Exactly.

Join us! Join us!

bender

What time is it?
Wario64 said:
Guess how long Rez was?

:)

Rez is one of my favorite games ever. I'm just trying to decide if I should get a Kinect for Child of Eden. Decisions, decisions.

goldenpp72

I know it was short, I did beat the ever living shit out of it on ps2 and xbla, I guess i'm worried if this isn't as good it won't be worth the dough. I do have a kinect though..

big_z

Jintor said:
Do it again on hard mode, change the visual/audio styles, use a controller this time, use multiple controllers this time, try and complete the Hope archive (series of levels, doesn't seem to end, no health pickups)

It's pretty content-light unfortunately, since it's really all about the experience

theres score attack mode right?

how difficult is it to get 100% ratings on the levels? i found rez to be alright in this respect, not hard but difficult enough that you need play the levels a handful of times to do well.

goldenpp72 said:
The game is an hour long?

I dunno.. I loved rez.

shorter than REZ if the playthrough videos that have popped up are any indication.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
I've only watched the intro and watched a few extras, and I'm loving the atmosphere/ambient music already. Now to actually play!

bender

What time is it?
Neuromancer said:
You guys need to man up! Games like these don't come along very often.

Don't lump me in. I've had this pre-ordered forever. Kinect is my only conundrum.

Lunchbox

Banned
gamefly shipped !!! yeesssss. i shipped back infamous2 on thursday and thought it wasnt gonna get there on time, but it seems like everyone had duke nukem on their list this week so i got child of eden easily. will buy later if its good, dont have money right now sadly.

but thanks to duke nukem i get to play !

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

bender

What time is it?
Neuromancer said:
Ah well I can't help you there. This is the game I got a Kinect for, but it is a lot of money.

Yeah. Then again I spent a bunch to import Rez with a Trance Vibrator.

Jintor

goldenpp72 said:
The game is an hour long?

I dunno.. I loved rez.

I guess it's an hour long if you played every archive in sequence completing them in an optimal manner, but that seems near-impossible to my mind

big_z said:
theres score attack mode right?

how difficult is it to get 100% ratings on the levels? i found rez to be alright in this respect, not hard but difficult enough that you need play the levels a handful of times to do well.

I didn't personally achieve it because I had to move on, but you could probably do it with a bit of work. It's easier with the controller I think to concentrate on score, so that will influence it a bit - I played a lot with the Kinect because... well, I think it's more fun (or absorbing) that way.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Wario64 said:
You guys should keep your eyes on Amazon Warehouse if you want a cheap Kinect. A couple days ago, they had a like new Kinect for $84.

Edit: Actually they have a good and acceptable Kinect right now. I'm pretty sure you can return them if the condition isn't up to your standards. It's a camera accessory though, how bad could it be?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002BSA298/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&qid=1307734553&sr=1-10&condition=used
dayum...I definitely should keep my eyes on CAG threads more often :sadface

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Jonsoncao said:
dayum...I definitely should keep my eyes on CAG threads more often :sadface

Yup, I got my Kinect from gohastings.com...used for $62 shipped. No way was I gonna pass that up. Luckily it came in good condition too.

clav

Wario64 said:
You guys should keep your eyes on Amazon Warehouse if you want a cheap Kinect. A couple days ago, they had a like new Kinect for $84.

Edit: Actually they have a good and acceptable Kinect right now. I'm pretty sure you can return them if the condition isn't up to your standards. It's a camera accessory though, how bad could it be?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002BSA298/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&qid=1307734553&sr=1-10&condition=used
I saw that thread on SlickDeals.

They had a stock of "like new" Kinects for $83.99.

I missed out on it.

I'm not going to take my chances on "good" and especially "acceptable."

bender

What time is it?
Do we know if you need to be standing for Kinect? I'd assume yes. Also, does the room need to be well lit?

Jonsoncao

Banned
bender said:
Thank you Wario! I'm not sure I'd want to play with the lights on.
I thought Kinect works perfectly in the dark, theoretically the depth sensor uses infrared projection which does not need any external visible light sources

Top Bottom