• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child Of Eden |OT| of Amazing Visuals, Fantastic Music and Multi-Platform Bliss

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I sort of want this... I'd love to play it with Kinect but I don't currently own or plan to own one at $150 bones. I'm a big fan of Rez, and played a shit ton of Rez HD so playing with the controller would be fine, but it's hard for me to pull the trigger for that experience at $60.

I feel like I'm a douche for not thinking all of Miz and Q's hard work isn't worth $60 either. :(

Phreaker

GuitarAtomik said:
If you have a Best Buy near you, just do the store pick up. I think other stores do that too. I bought mine a couple hours ago so I can pick it up after work today.

Ah, good idea, just did that. Thanks. Will pick it up on my way home.

Brettison said:
I sort of want this... I'd love to play it with Kinect but I don't currently own or plan to own one at $150 bones. I'm a big fan of Rez, and played a shit ton of Rez HD so playing with the controller would be fine, but it's hard for me to pull the trigger for that experience at $60.

I feel like I'm a douche for not thinking all of Miz and Q's hard work isn't worth $60 either. :(
It's $50 if that helps, less at Toys R Us.

xXJonoXx

Any info on the PS3 version having 3D support? I would buy this instantly if it had 3D support. It looks like the perfect game for 3D combined with the Move.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
This game. This fucking game.

If you're on the fence, BUY IT. It's everything I could have hoped for in a spiritual sequel to Rez.

Doodis

More high praise from Joystiq, and more fodder for the tears train here at GAF:

Not only does it represent the most complete realization of what the Kinect has to offer, it possesses the (perhaps childish) distinction of being, for lack of a better term, a "crying game." It will almost certainly conjure tears from its hardest players -- not because it is particularly sad or melancholic, but because it is stirring.

Vercimber

Just a junior member here, but as a longtime fan of Rez (owned it on DC JP, PS2, and now XBLA), Child of Eden really is a "Super Rez"--the game runs at a solid and beautiful 60fps, and, if you'll excuse the slightly abstract notion, for me the Kinect really creates a sense of transcendence that the controller doesn't. As others have said, the controller is certainly more precise and recreates the Rez experience completely, but the Kinect really shines here.

One of my favorite parts in Rez was the last bit in which the player slowly "assembled" the Dural-like representation of Eden, and vibrant nature scenes would appear on the screen to symbolize the player's success. That great feeling is duplicated in every level of this game.

Here's hoping Project Draco will give us both the Kinect and controller options.

Grabbed it and my pre-order bons - THE HAT. I'll post pics of THE HAT later.

My Gamestop only received five copies. I was also informed that Alice has sold more copies than DNF so far today.

Clunker

Neuromancer said:
It's $50 if that helps, less at Toys R Us.
Wait, is it $39.99 in store too? If so, and we can pair with TRU's current "buy 1 get 1 50 percent off," I'm totally going there. Was going to burn GameStop credit otherwise.

Edit: Wait, I am thinking of Target's B1G1 50% off sale. Never mind. :(

Magnus

Nabbed. Don't know why people didn't preorder this; this is the kind of game that ships in low quantities and preordering is painless.

Can't wait to go home and put kinect to good use. YES

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just ordered from Best Buy using my store credit leftover from Christmas.

GAF hype has once again pushed me into this.

kiryogi

Banned
Wario64 said:
Also, I totally just flipped the irreversible cover art. Awesome.

I did it as well. Lumi and Genki Rockets <3

And to those mentioning about playing while sitting. No idea, I was playing while standing honestly.

And re: the swipe motion. It actually says in the tutorial it's a quick flick, but i find myself having to wave back and forth instead of one motion. Maybe it's something that can be calibrated.

Gary Whitta said:
This came out TODAY? How did I not know this? To Gamestop I go!

Quick question, do you need to stand while playing with Kinect?
My understanding is that you can sit, but I haven't tried it myself.

eXistor

Dammit, I want this NOW, but I'm just not gonna buy Kinect for one game. Waiting for the PS3 version (I have Move) is also something I'd rather not do...

I think I'll just get the 360 version and play with the controller.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Neuromancer said:
That's unsettling

What's more unsettling is that Amazon's trade-in value for this game is currently $9.50.

Hmm, well, barring the flow of overly positive impressions I was going to pick this up. But my local Best Buy is out, Gamestop only has preorders left, and Target is OOS. I swear, I preorder so many games, but it seems that whenever a game comes out that I want but havent preordered, then THATS the game that my area has received like 3 copies of. Didnt know this was going to be a tough one of get ahold of.

Oh well, back log is embarrassing anyways.

eXistor said:
Dammit, I want this NOW, but I'm just not gonna buy Kinect for one game. Waiting for the PS3 version (I have Move) is also something I'd rather not do...

I think I'll just get the 360 version and play with the controller.

I'm sure there is nothing wrong with this.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Died on the final boss :/ Seems hard with Kinect to me, not because of the hardware but I dont know when to use each powerup. Switching to controller.

Also, make sure to go to options and switch to 5.1 sound. Argh, I've been playing in stereo this whole time!

Wario64 said:
Died on the final boss :/ Seems hard with Kinect to me, not because of the hardware but I dont know when to use each powerup. Switching to controller.

Also, make sure to go to options and switch to 5.1 sound. Argh, I've been playing in stereo this whole time!
Have you had to bleach your underwear yet?

jcutner

5832626127_3ac43d6210_b.jpg

Gary Whitta said:
This came out TODAY? How did I not know this? To Gamestop I go!

Quick question, do you need to stand while playing with Kinect?
I've tried sitting down and the cursor goes a bit flaky on you when you point around the lower half of the screen. I guess it's to do with the way Kinect expects the whole body in view or something.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Wario64 said:

Out of curiosity, how does switching to controller make you know "when" to use each power up?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
TTP said:
Out of curiosity, how does switching to controller make you know "when" to use each power up?

I guess I should clarify, and I guess it is actually a hardware issue now thinking about it. Pretty much your other arm has to be resting on your side fully or else the game is gonna go bonkers or you will use the wrong power up. So switching between each power is kinda difficult, and this game is pretty fast paced compared to Rez. At least on controller, it's a matter of pressing a different button.

It's easier to aim with the rapid fire powerup on Kinect though. I guess it's easier to "mash" with a controller too than using Kinect

derFeef

Wario64 said:
I guess I should clarify, and I guess it is actually a hardware issue now thinking about it. Pretty much your other arm has to be resting on your side fully or else the game is gonna go bonkers or you will use the wrong power up. So switching between each power is kinda difficult, and this game is pretty fast paced compared to Rez. At least on controller, it's a matter of pressing a different button.

It's easier to aim with the rapid fire powerup on Kinect though. I guess it's easier to "mash" with a controller too than using Kinect
Aren't there two control schemes? I remember clapping to switch to the other power so you can use both arms for one power and just clap when you want to use the other one.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Wario64 said:

Oh ok. That makes more sense :)

Two days left, I can't wait.

And I just noticed the price in Europe is significantly lower than standard prices for retail games at dayone (aside from special offers, of course).

I was thinking to buy it from the UK, but given the price difference is lower this time around, I'll just grab a copy at a local store, and play it right away.

derFeef said:
Aren't there two control schemes? I remember clapping to switch to the other power so you can use both arms for one power and just clap when you want to use the other one.

I remember hearing something about taking the clapping out. I hope they did.

Top Bottom