• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child Of Eden |OT| of Amazing Visuals, Fantastic Music and Multi-Platform Bliss

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Great game. I think I like Rez better though. Well, I already knew I was gonna like Rez better before playing, I knew this game wouldn't be better than that masterpiece.

DoctorWho said:
I remember hearing something about taking the clapping out. I hope they did.
clapping is gone. but i agree with the above in that its a little hard to switch between hands to use the different shot types. for some reason i want to stand with the same side foot outward as whatever hand i'm using and you must keep your non-use hand at your side or the kinect gets confused. i feel like i'm making it harder than it should be by doing this but standing fully-faced to the kinect and raising and lowering each arm just feels awkward.

i know using a controller will yield better results, but i want to play the game in its entirety with kinect before i do that.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
derFeef said:
Aren't there two control schemes? I remember clapping to switch to the other power so you can use both arms for one power and just clap when you want to use the other one.

I didn't dig into the options to find out. Not sure if clapping would make it better anyway.

I'll need to replay the game again with controller. Not sure which one I'd prefer, targeting with Kinect is fun and easier to do, but then controller has buttons...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Just checked the manual and it says there's a gesture type B to make weapon switching on clap. So I guess it is there....

Gotta say though, my right arm is pretty tired out.

JKTrix

Just got home with mine, no kinect. May get one in the future just for this.

I prefer the eco-case that this game is using. There are no holes in it, but the plastic is obviously much thinner.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Wario64 said:
Just checked the manual and it says there's a gesture type B to make weapon switching on clap. So I guess it is there....

and
rly?how?

Wario64 said:
I didn't dig into the options to find out. Not sure if clapping would make it better anyway.

I'll need to replay the game again with controller. Not sure which one I'd prefer, targeting with Kinect is fun and easier to do, but then controller has buttons...

Good to hear that Kinect targeting works well, even better than a controller (quite surprising, isn't it?).

Take that haters! xD

Has anyone tried to see if hybrid controls are possible?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Beer Monkey said:
Just ordered from toysrus.com. At least it's in stock, and $39.99 with no shipping is decent.

WHAT?

*Cancels Best Buy store pickup, orders at Toysrus.com*

jcutner said:
5832626127_3ac43d6210_b.jpg
HGGGGGGGNH

do want

Liberty4all

Banned
I'm so on the fence. I loved Rez and I have Kinect ... but 59.99 (Canadian) is alot. I may break down though, do a couple trade ins and grab it anyways

Bamelin said:
I'm so on the fence. I loved Rez and I have Kinect ... but 59.99 (Canadian) is alot. I may break down though, do a couple trade ins and grab it anyways

Picked it up for $49.99 at EB. Haven't seen it for $59.99 anywhere.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
FuzzyNorman said:
Wario, are you already done with the game? How far are you?
I finished my first playthrough in 1 sitting (standing? hah). I had to replay a couple levels to progress though, so it took about 2 hours. That's one of my complaints, the game almost forces you to replay a level or three to progress, kinda slowed things down. And it's based on your ranking. You have to earn a number of stars to move forward but fortunately the accumulate on each level playthrough, so you can't get stuck forever.

Only had time to play the first archive with controller and this is so just like Rez it's actually kind of weird. Great stuff, so far. Looking forward to Kinecting it up later.

S1kkZ

Wario64 said:
I finished my first playthrough in 1 sitting (standing? hah). I had to replay a couple levels to progress though, so it took about 2 hours. That's one of my complaints, the game almost forces you to replay a level or three to progress, kinda slowed things down. And it's based on your ranking. You have to earn a number of stars to move forward but fortunately the accumulate on each level playthrough, so you can't get stuck forever.
any unlockables, replay value?

derFeef

Wario64 said:

Hehe, thats why I will use the mode where you can switch arms on the fly and change mode when clapping. So, you like it?

OP updated with more reviews and jcutner's picture of the reversible art.
Really looking forward to Friday, Child of Eden shall be a big part of my 22nd birthday celebrations :-D.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I haven't looked on anything beyond my first playthrough, pretty sure there's a bunch of unlockables though!

Btw:

879 people ranked on leaderboards on Child of Eden normal diff, Kinect, 1st level.

549 people ranked on leaderboards on Child of Eden normal diff, controller, 1st level.

JKTrix

metareferential said:
Has anyone tried to see if hybrid controls are possible?
Can't say 100% (no Kinect here), but I don't think you can choose to aim with your hands and shoot with the buttons. According to the manual you can switch between them during gameplay by pressing the Back button.

One thing I do know is that you can use 4 controllers to have the vibration, Rez HD style. Pretty sure that'll work even if you're using the Kinect.

aechris

This game is AMAZING. "Spiritual successor" to Rez nothing - this game is Rez 2 that I control with my hands. If you are on the fence, go buy it right now. It really is fantastic.

bryehn

dark10x said:
Did the game ship in one of those dirt cheap recyclable 360 cases?

Mine did (Canada) :/

The menu is surprisingly ugly, lol at the green screen-looking FMV an the Kinect tutorial kinda sucked. How do I stay centered, is it my body or hands?

Other than those trivial gripes it was pretty sweet, way more active than I thought. Gonna try B controls before the controller. Definitely getting a 4 controller rumble going too later ;)

Oppo

Is there any news about a PS3 version?

Will buy for 360 if not, I don't really mind (no Kinect) but I do sort of hold out faint hope for a Move version. Frankly trying the Kinect one at PAX sold me on the idea of Move CoE. (that sounds trollish; I apologise for any perceived slight...)

PortTwo said:

Will buy for 360 if not, I don't really mind (no Kinect) but I do sort of hold out faint hope for a Move version. Frankly trying the Kinect one at PAX sold me on the idea of Move CoE. (that sounds trollish; I apologise for any perceived slight...)
Any news? Well it's coming out in September if that's what you mean.

*grumbles about reading OP * :p

LaneDS

PortTwo said:

Supposedly PS3 one hits in September with Move support, but they've been pretty light on details about it to play up the 360 version with Kinect support instead.

Wario, how long did your playthrough take?

parasight

Really excited to try this out. I think it's a bit much for $49.99 given the shortness of the game (or so I hear), so I'll probably rent it later this week. Good to hear the Kinect support is nice.

Oppo

Zeouterlimits said:
Any news? Well it's coming out in September if that's what you mean.

*grumbles about reading OP * :p
Ah shit, my bad, I usually am better about that. Thanks.

LaneDS said:
Supposedly PS3 one hits in September with Move support, but they've been pretty light on details about it to play up the 360 version with Kinect support instead

Really?? *looks at boxart* omigod. Had no idea!

September. That's gonna be a tough wait.

JKTrix

kiryogi said:
It's Star Line actually :eek:

And I also got a proper case. Woo USA.
Heavenly Star is the 'Press Start' screen, and there's a 'preview' of the Heavenly Star video in the extras. I'm familiar with Star Line, but Heavenly Star has been around for ages now.

Still like it though.

pixelpushr

Neo Member
Beer Monkey said:
Just ordered from toysrus.com. At least it's in stock, and $39.99 with no shipping is decent.
Just picked up an ad at Toys R Us so I could price match at Best Buy but the price in the ad is wrong. It said $39.99 on the shelf but the ad says it's $49.99.

Might just see if they'll call TRU an check the price.

Magnus

Alright, as someone who just plain wasn't that impressed with Rez, Eden is such a wonderful experience. I mean, wow. Kinect feels awesome with this.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm glad this game is only like 2.4 GB in install size btw, it's now permanently going to reside in my 4GB partition on my X360-S 4GB model

Some of the videos look like they could have been higher res though, which I guess is why the install size is small.

Top Bottom