• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Dring: 'Astro Bot's UK launch is solid. First week sales are 21% higher than the debut of Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart'

Pelao

I'll probably go back and get the platinum for Rescue Mission too. I really just want to play more Astro Bot.

ahtlas7

ymxqjjD.jpeg

🤨

Rockman33

Are there 21% more consoles in the UK since Ratchet and Clank’s 2021release? Or is this a good increase in the percentage of the Ps5 population buying it.
Probably more like a 300-400% considering in mid 2021 there was probably less than 15 mil consoles sold and we are at 60 million worldwide now.

IMO this seems weak. But what the hell do I know?!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Looks like my estimate earlier was right. So far 4M PS5s sold in UK LTD.

Going by my earlier post, by summer 2021, UK sales were probably not even 1M. So right now there should be about 4x (or more) UK PS5s than when R&C launched. So if Astro has only sold 21% more units in week one, that's terrible.

Then again, is R&C even a game that is reasonable to compare against? Just because it's a cartoony action game too so it's the best comparable?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
But what did Ratchet sell?
  • Ratchet had sold 2.7 million copies by February 2022.
  • Total revenue (as of then) was $145 million
  • Total costs (dev + marketing) was $81 million
  • Profit (as of Feb. 2022) was $64 million. Profitability = 79%.
P.S. Astrobot was made by a MUCH smaller team and in a smaller time period. It would require considerably less revenue to turn profits.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member

Going by my earlier post, by summer 2021, UK sales were probably not even 1M. So right now there should be about 4x (or more) UK PS5s than when R&C launched. So if Astro has only sold 21% more units in week one, that's terrible.

Then again, is R&C even a game that is reasonable to compare against? Just because it's a cartoony action game too so it's the best comparable?

Going to keep on repeating yourself until you get attention?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Going to keep on repeating yourself until you get attention?
Thanks for the attention.

But just confirming stats since people in this thread are guessing at UK numbers. And yes, selling only 21% more games when the UK base is quadruple what it was 3 years ago is terrible. Even if Astro sold at the same ratio, sales should 4x R&C.

GHG

Gold Member

But just confirming stats since people in this thread are guessing at UK numbers. And yes, selling only 21% more games when the UK base is quadruple what it was 3 years ago is terrible. Even if Astro sold at the same ratio, sales should 4x R&C.

Yes, if you want to use nonsensical logic that involves ignoring the fact that Ratchet and Clank was the 10th game in a franchise that dates back to 2002.

Why stop there? Let's start comparing it to the first week of sales for the latest Mario release. Absolutely awful, pull it from sale immediately.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Based on your logic, Ghost of Tsushima sold about 74k units compared to Astro Bot's 59k (estimated) and PS4 in 2020 had over 7M units sold in the UK.

Again, using install base is a terrible metric. There are multiplatform games that are successful with a much larger one that barely sells around 100k in the UK.

GHG

Gold Member
Spain:

Top 10 Sales Week 36: September 2-8, 2024​

1. Astro Bot for PS5
  2. Star Wars Outlaws for PS5
  3. NBA 2K25 for PS5
  4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for Switch
  5. Red Dead Redemption 2 for PS4
  6. Grand Theft Auto V for PS5
  7. Minecraft for Switch
  8. Grand Theft Auto V for PS4
  9. Nintendo Switch Sports for Switch
  10. Animal Crossing: New Horizons for Switch

France:

7lVqwdo.jpeg

Last edited:

SweetTooth

Gold Member
Spain:

Top 10 Sales Week 36: September 2-8, 2024​

1. Astro Bot for PS5
  2. Star Wars Outlaws for PS5
  3. NBA 2K25 for PS5
  4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for Switch
  5. Red Dead Redemption 2 for PS4
  6. Grand Theft Auto V for PS5
  7. Minecraft for Switch
  8. Grand Theft Auto V for PS4
  9. Nintendo Switch Sports for Switch
  10. Animal Crossing: New Horizons for Switch

France:

7lVqwdo.jpeg

Looks like Astro is doing fantastically well !

Woopah

It doesn't work like that.

Do you think Switch games released in 2024 should have 14x higher openings than Switch games released in 2017?
So wait a minute?

In his first article, did this retard jump fast to report incomplete data just to show Astro as bad performing?
He did his first tweet after GfK released their data, and then another tweet when the GSD report came out.

He reports on both trackers all the time, and would have shared Gfk data whether Astrobot was above or below Ratchet.

Edit: Just to give an example SweetTooth SweetTooth , here's Chris doing something similar with The Crew 2.

Last edited:

SweetTooth

Gold Member
It doesn't work like that.

Do you think Switch games released in 2024 should have 14x higher openings than Switch games released in 2017?

He did his first tweet after GfK released their data, and then another tweet when the GSD report came out.

He reports on both trackers all the time, and would have shared Gfk data whether Astrobot was above or below Ratchet.

Edit: Just to give an example SweetTooth SweetTooth , here's Chris doing something similar with The Crew 2.

Yup, thanks for the clarification. Still don't like his mug

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Do you think sales scale linearly with userbase?

This is one of the most unintelligible things I've ever seen someone said on this forum. And that's saying something.

Roufianos

For those of you trying to compare Astro sales to R&C vs the install base at the time, I found this article. It excludes 2024 UK PS5 sales, so you can an estimate that to the total.

UK PS5 sales

2020 Not stated (maybe 300k during the Xmas rush?)
2021 1.2M
2022 0.8M
2023 1.2M
2024 Not stated (maybe 500k so far and then Xmas rush?)

So estimated total..... 300k + 1.2M + 0.8M + 1.2M + 500k = 4M? Does that sound reasonable?

So when R&C launched on PS5 in summer 2021, maybe you had 1M UK systems tops??? Take 300k + a portion of 2021.

If Astro sold only 21% more than R&C and PS5 UK install base is 4x what it was when R&C launched in 2021, that's terrible sales.
R&C also had the benefit of being more of the first PS5 exclusives, serving as the poster boy for what the SSD could do, and also launched in one of the most barren years ever. Not saying Astro did amazing but that's worth factoring in.

In 2021 PS5 releases were also comfortably outselling PS4 versions. The early adopters represent a large amount of the buying intent for core games.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For all you defenders, when did I say it had to scale linearly? I said if the ratio was 1:1 it would be 4x.

But there is no defending sales only being 21% higher is rough.
Yes, if you want to use nonsensical logic that involves ignoring the fact that Ratchet and Clank was the 10th game in a franchise that dates back to 2002.

Why stop there? Let's start comparing it to the first week of sales for the latest Mario release. Absolutely awful, pull it from sale immediately.
Based on your logic, Ghost of Tsushima sold about 74k units compared to Astro Bot's 59k (estimated) and PS4 in 2020 had over 7M units sold in the UK.

Again, using install base is a terrible metric. There are multiplatform games that are successful with a much larger one that barely sells around 100k in the UK.
Dont blame me.

I'm not the guy on Twitter who started it off using R&C as the comparison. People in this thread right after the OP post were talking sales and what the UK user base is.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
For all you defenders, when did I say it had to scale linearly? I said if the ratio was 1:1 it would be 4x.

Dont blame me.

I'm not the guy on Twitter who started it off using R&C as the comparison. People in this thread right after the OP post were talking sales and what the UK user base is.

"There's no defending"

You're using a dumb attach rate metric that Xbox fanboys typically use on Twitter. Sales success has always been based on the development budget.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

"There's no defending"

You're using a dumb attach rate metric that Xbox fanboys typically use on Twitter. Sales success has always been based on the development budget.
So if that's the case, then Chris Dring comparing Astro and R&C sales, and anyone else in this thread interested in 2021 and 2024 UK console sales are dumb. Thanks.

nial

• Ratchet had sold 2.7 million copies by February 2022.
  • Total revenue (as of then) was $145 million
  • Total costs (dev + marketing) was $81 million
  • Profit (as of Feb. 2022) was $64 million. Profitability = 79%.
P.S. Astrobot was made by a MUCH smaller team and in a smaller time period. It would require considerably less revenue to turn profits.
Those were shipped units, actually. The game sold 3.9M units as of June 2023.
It had pretty good legs all around without any permanent price cut, especially considering that R&C 2016 got to >7M thanks to being a PlayStation Hits (at $20!) game a bit over 2 years later.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
So if that's the case, then Chris Dring comparing Astro and R&C sales, and anyone else in this thread interested in 2021 and 2024 UK console sales are dumb. Thanks.
That's because Chris Dring often compares sales to similar genres

Teken 8 to Street Fighter 6

Did he use the attach rate as a metric for success? No.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Astrobot was never going to do mario numbers. At least not yet. Sony used to know that games have to build an audience and not every game is going to be a massive 10 million success on the first try.

This is technically the first astrobot game on a non-VR system. It will have legs. This game has the potential to hit 3-5 million sales lifetime, but if they stick with the franchise, it could easily become 10-20 million in the next 5-10 years. Devs are clearly geniuses like those devs over at nintendo and they get what makes games fun, and once people find that joy they typically get from nintendo games, they will keep coming back.

Get a sequel out in the next 2-3 years and keep innovating. keep the price tag at $60 and allow the word of mouth to spread. I suspect this will be a big seller this holiday season.

Woopah

How much higher than Ratchet do you think it should have sold?

Top Bottom