• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Dring: Astro Bot's UK opening week sales are 1/3rd lower than Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart

Taycan77

Neophyte
It's currently #4 on the PlayStation Store in the UK, behind only Warhammer, NBA 2K25, and Fortnite (which is free to play). It's consistently increased its position every day.

Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart had an almost year long promotion campaign for it, tied in large part to the PS5's ad campaign, while Astro Bot was announced just 4 months ago.

Once again, Chris Dring is making some peculiar comparisons that are entirely out of pocket.
Next week Dring will be reporting how Astro Bot's second week sales matched, or even exceeded, the first week.

He's farming engagement with partial data in the full knowledge sales will not be front loaded due to the late review embargo. Early sales will heavily lean digital as there are very few brick & mortar outlets to pick up physical. In the coming weeks the online retailers will play a bigger factor.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Next week Dring will be reporting how Astro Bot's second week sales matched, or even exceeded, the first week.

He's farming engagement with partial data in the full knowledge sales will not be front loaded due to the late review embargo. Early sales will heavily lean digital as there are very few brick & mortar outlets to pick up physical. In the coming weeks the online retailers will play a bigger factor.

This what I mean about media narratives. Short term yeah, you get views and clicks, but long term you're doing real damage to the industry.

Apparently you can't call out the media though.

Woopah

He's providing some additional information about it's performance, rather than just saying it charted at number 1 with no further details.

R&C sold more in its 2nd week than it's 1st, so it's possible that Astrobot does so too.

Calverz

Genuinely surprised if this doesn’t sell a lot more for Xmas period. Lots of parents waiting on discount to buy it for Xmas.

yurinka

As of now, in that top grossing (including F2P) PSN games ranking Astro Bot in the main PS countries is:
  • USA: Top 3
  • UK: Top 3
  • Japan: Top 5
  • Germany: Top 4
  • France: Top 6
  • Spain: Top 5
  • Italy: Top 2
  • Canada: Top 3
  • Brazil: Top 3
  • Saudi Arabia: Top 3
  • Australia: Top 4
  • China: (still not approved there)
As a reference, 80% of the game sales in PS last quarter were digital. I don't have Rift Apart numbers, but I'd bet that no other Ratchet ever has been that high in any PS sales ranking considering they only sold a few million copies each.

Last edited:

Taycan77

Neophyte
It’s going to be like FF7R all over again… Some people are just going to ignore the signs until is confirmed.
The signs are Astro Bot has been gaining momentum since reviews dropped and with good word of mouth.

Context is important.

A significant portion of physical sales in the UK are from online retailers and pre-orders, the days of supermarkets stocking titles are long gone.

It's the complete opposite of FF7R which had huge pre-release hype and pre-orders which satiated demand.

Woopah

So its OK to compare 4 days sales to 7 days sales cause it’s technically the First Week Tracking Period for both?
You compare the sales from the first week that the game is being tracked.

In this case both Rift Apart and Astrobot launched on a Friday, so both have 3 days of sales in their first week.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Isn’t physical nearly non-existent in the US/EU/UK?

AFAIK it’s probably only Asia that keeps physical alive.

tanners

Neo Member
As of now, in that top grossing (including F2P) PSN games ranking Astro Bot in the main PS countries is:
  • USA: Top 3
  • UK: Top 3
  • Japan: Top 5
  • Germany: Top 4
  • France: Top 6
  • Spain: Top 5
  • Italy: Top 2
  • Canada: Top 3
  • Brazil: Top 3
  • Saudi Arabia: Top 3
  • Australia: Top 4
  • China: (still not approved there)
As a reference, 80% of the game sales in PS last quarter were digital. I don't have Rift Apart numbers, but I'd bet that no other Ratchet ever has been that high in any PS sales ranking considering they only sold a few million copies each.
Hong Kong: top 3, most Chinese ps5 users just buy game in PS HK store, black Myth is also not approved in PS CN store

ToadMan

disappointed-disappointed-fan.gif

As if I'm not a single piece of sand on an anti GAAS beach here.

I fail to see what difference that makes. There's no crusade to fight that you need an army for.

Play whatever you want. But making these kinds of threads is just warring the same as anything else.

It was never going to do Mario numbers (or even close), but the wailing and gnashing of teeth over UK physical sales always amuses me. Possibly the least important metric you can find. Little surprised it's been outsold by Space Marine though, with all the frothing we've seen about it being the 'best game ever TM'.

They still have another sale coming - I'll buy it when it's on its first big sale. I think it's overpriced and would have done much better at $40.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
This is why so many of us said not to taking Dring's commentary seriously.

First he used data knowing that it was not likely to apply to the whole story and now he is say, oh it's solid, when it's nearly as much of a leap has he was describing it as down before...

Not to mention that again, this game is going to have legs if it wins GOTY.

It looks like Jason Schreiers "Is this the model going forward?" tweet sounds pretty darn stupid right now. Always thought the parade everyone was trying to give Astrobot before sales numbers was a really bad look.

Can you list any examples of a games physical sales and digital sales doing wildly differently? I feel like it's pretty safe to say we can use physical sales as a kind of borometer for overall sales.

It is a bad look because the conversation was about strategy/investment, not quality. People desperately wanted their 94 metascore darling to be a commercial hit. So much so that people were estimating projections of 10+ million copies sold.

If you want to obsess over GAAS failure, fine, but you should also understand the shortcomings of the other models as well. People must go back to rational thought and logic, and away from payment model fantaticism zombies.

So in 2021, digital was about 20% and in 2022, digital accounted for 22%?

Are my numbers off or did digital actually grow since 2021...making the Astro Bot sales figures look worse?

How on earth is an Astro Bot sales thread a troll post?

Like, what are we doing man?

I genuinely read "1/3rd of" rather than "1/3rd less". If I believed that, then for the next couple of minutes of my thread creation..."Sales lower than expected" would have been more reasonable.

That being said, I still think it was somewhat reasonable considering how far out of hand Astro Bots perceived commercial success was here. Some of ya'll were saying some pretty ludicrous things.

There you have it. :)

The game sold a lot less physically and then when all added, the game ended up selling 21% more than Ratchet. And i'd bet it will have much more stability than Ratchet.

JaksGhost

It was never going to do Mario numbers (or even close), but the wailing and gnashing of teeth over UK physical sales always amuses me. Possibly the least important metric you can find. Little surprised it's been outsold by Space Marine though, with all the frothing we've seen about it being the 'best game ever TM'.

They still have another sale coming - I'll buy it when it's on its first big sale. I think it's overpriced and would have done much better at $40.
This is a game available only on one console against a multi-platform game available on Series consoles, PS5, and PC. It did amazing damn.

Top Bottom