• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Dring: Astro Bot's UK opening week sales are 1/3rd lower than Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart

Markio128

Gold Member
Tom Hardy Bait GIF

I remember people also thought Stellar Blade would be a massive hit because "fuck wokeness" and then the game only sold 1 million in 3 months.

Which is a success for a new studio making a game in a niche genre with all the media against it. I can't get this low-quality trolling, honestly.

Something similar applies to Astrobot, which is a niche genre for the PlayStation fanbase, unlike Mario in a Nintendo console.

Mownoc

Mod should change the entire title... it's not lower than expected, you are just adding that bullshit in. We have no idea of Sony's expectations for physical UK copies sold.
Yes I too like the part when Christopher Dring said sales were lower than expected and it wasn't just made up by the OP at all. The only correct thing in the title is "Christopher Dring" lmao.

Last edited:
I'm not seeing an issue here.

The physical sales are 1/3 lower than Ratchet and digital sales have kept growing since then.

It probably outsold Ratchet.

Also how many days of tracking are counted? It launched a few days ago.

Agreed if not out sold at least very close

Reactions: XXL

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I remember people also thought Stellar Blade would be a massive hit because "fuck wokeness" and then the game only sold 1 million in 3 months.
Exactly.

You can see it in this very thread. It's not enough to have 98% positive Astro Bot sentiment here. They must find the 2% detractors and remove them.

They seek a purity in the population, as if that's healthy.

We had like a thread a few weeks ago that critic scores dont boost game sales anymore. A platformer was never going to sell blockbusters amounts no matter what the old minority echochamber gaf members say. I certainly aint day one on it. Will get it on more than 30% sale at best. Sony changing their profile picture wont change their gaas focused strategy either.
That thread was nonsense metacritic score absolutely does boost sales.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
4 people in my gaming circle are all waiting for it to come down in price. I think there's a lot of people sitting on the sidelines waiting to jump in when it's no longer $80.
*edit* I'm in Canada.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
That thread was nonsense metacritic score absolutely does boost sales.

Nah, fact is, in most cases with popular names it has 0 impact such as FIFA or whatever. When it comes to indies, it may have an impact but not as much as ppl may think, there were cases here when they matter shit at all. Astro Bot is somewhere in the middle but it does have good marketing and we are lacking in great games so it has long legs until Sony's next release which is fuck knows.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
In FY2021, physical for sony was 140,117 million yen and digital was 542,484 million yen

In FY23, physical was 193,439 and digital 660, 932 million yen.

So in 2021, digital was about 20% and in 2022, digital accounted for 22%?

Are my numbers off or did digital actually grow since 2021...making the Astro Bot sales figures look worse?

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It's currently #4 on the PlayStation Store in the UK, behind only Warhammer, NBA 2K25, and Fortnite (which is free to play). It's consistently increased its position every day.

Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart had an almost year long promotion campaign for it, tied in large part to the PS5's ad campaign, while Astro Bot was announced just 4 months ago.

Sony should go back to announcing games at least a year in advance of the launch date. There's a lot less hype about their titles these days.

Zacfoldor

Honestly, this game will have great legs too.

Also, just like John Wick, this game will generate FOMO, so by the time the sequel comes out it will double in sales.

This game is so good it has created a franchise. That's what you short cheese people can't see yet with your confirmation bias and your jumping to conclusions.

You will see though. When part 2 comes or when you finally understand the legs this game will have.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Agreed if not out sold at least very close

If you order it on Amazon.co.uk right now, you won't get it until the 23rd...

It's out of stock at SimplyGames. Tesco stopped selling games a year ago because gamers were moving towards digital.

While OP is astroturfing and despite the exaggeration, the real issue remains Chris Dring who makes the most odd comparisons for no "apparent" reason. Who easily could have waited until digital sales were available before commenting and should have full knowledge that physical is in decline... and that Astro Bot has sold out at some retailers.

hinch7

Hopefully some good word of mouth gives it legs. If there's any franchise thats deserves success, its this game.

MagnesD3

Im not surprised, mainstream audiences dont give a crap about high quality 3d platformers. Even 3d mario games dont perform as well as they should. People have meh taste, wheres muh gun lol.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Sony should go back to announcing games at least a year in advance of the launch date. There's a lot less hype about their titles these days.

Sony has better metrics than us on this. I wouldn't come to this conclusion based on what Dring actually said or what the OP tried to mislead people into believing with this thread.

Sony probably realizes that they can save considerable budget by marketing less, meaning games don't need to sell as much to account for grandiose marketing budgets and that they can sell more organically, even if it comes at the cost of slower initial sales.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You made up figures and misquoted... like what are you doing man?
I genuinely read "1/3rd of" rather than "1/3rd less". If I believed that, then for the next couple of minutes of my thread creation..."Sales lower than expected" would have been more reasonable.

That being said, I still think it was somewhat reasonable considering how far out of hand Astro Bots perceived commercial success was here. Some of ya'll were saying some pretty ludicrous things.

Last edited:

Hustler

Physical vs digital have skewed dramatically since the start of this generation, is anyone surprised? What a misleading statement.

Ristifer

I mean, throw out as many numbers as possible. Astro Bot's not going to be folded into nothingness with Sony issuing out refunds. That would only happen with uninspired, tone deaf GaaS trash.

Markio128

Gold Member
I genuinely read "1/3rd of" rather than "1/3rd less". If I believed that, then for the next couple of minutes of my thread creation..."Sales lower than expected" would have been more reasonable.

That being said, I still think it was somewhat reasonable considering how far out of hand Astro Bots perceived commercial success was here. Some of ya'll were saying some pretty ludicrous things.
The game came out 3 days ago and we have no idea how it performed worldwide, and in digital format. It’s a bit early for ‘I told you so’.

willothedog

Suprising considering it was cheap in the UK from a couple of retailers for physical. £50 from Argos and £47 from gamecollection.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's currently #4 on the PlayStation Store in the UK, behind only Warhammer, NBA 2K25, and Fortnite (which is free to play). It's consistently increased its position every day.

Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart had an almost year long promotion campaign for it, tied in large part to the PS5's ad campaign, while Astro Bot was announced just 4 months ago.

Once again, Chris Dring is making some peculiar comparisons that are entirely out of pocket.

Perfectly said!

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
They shouldn't have launch it so close to the biggest PS5 AAA hit of the year Concord

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Can you list any examples of a games physical sales and digital sales doing wildly differently? I feel like it's pretty safe to say we can use physical sales as a kind of borometer for overall sales.

Black Myth: Wukong

The physical sales where around the same as Concords give or take a percentage of overall sales. But the digital sold like hotcakes.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The game came out 3 days ago and we have no idea how it performed worldwide, and in digital format. It’s a bit early for ‘I told you so’.
That's reasonable.

But where were you two days ago when people were implying Astro Bot was a huge commercial success and the way forward for PlayStation to grow?

Zacfoldor

I mean, to be fair Astro is probably going to win goty and the sales of the most recent goty winners has been solid.

The only thing in competition at the moment is Rebirth and without spoilers, there is one region later on that takes it out of the competition.

Perhaps Nintendo can pull off a minor miracle with its Links Awakening remake asset flip(and they very well could) but I'm not seeing a lot of goty competition for astro later in the year, so I think it will win.

Elden Ring can't win because it's dlc. Nintendo could win, but Astrobot probably will.

Has there ever been a goty winner with bad sales, since goty became Geoff?

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™

That being said, I still think it was somewhat reasonable considering how far out of hand Astro Bots perceived commercial success was imagines here. Some of ya'll were saying some pretty ludicrous things.

I have tempered expectations on its short to mid term sales potential, but what you're doing is entirely out of pocket.

I think this game will sell between 5-7 million units, unless it hits some level of the zeitgeist that compels people who normally wouldn't buy platformers to buy this OR it compels parents to buy for their kids in numbers that are not normal.

5-7 million would be an absolute success.

10 million sounds pretty far-fetched given the current make up of the PlayStation userbase. It'll definitely have long legs though, especially if it wins GOTY and drops in price to say 40 USD. This is likely to be a game people buy for years. And when it has eventually dropped to say 20 USD, it very well may have hit those far-fetched numbers.

For Astro Bot to have REAL crazy levels of success, the PS5 has to come down drastically in price AND it would need some transmedia push where Astro Bot reaches Minions level popularity. I'd be stunned if there are no talks at PlayStation Productions and Sony Pictures Animation about a movie.

clarky

Gold Member

Once again, Chris Dring is making some peculiar comparisons that are entirely out of pocket.
I'm getting its second only behind Space Marine on Amazon UK. Seems to be doing pretty good.

5M1d89c.png

Last edited:

XXL

Exactly.

You can see it in this very thread. It's not enough to have 98% positive Astro Bot sentiment here. They must find the 2% detractors and remove them.

They seek a purity in the population, as if that's healthy.
This is ridiculous. No one is seeking purity.

You editorialized a tweet, gave incorrect information, took information from said tweet and extrapolated that the game is a failure with a minimal amount of data.

You know what's unhealthy? Not admitting you made a mistake, blaming others instead and then proceeding to play the victim.
Stop It Roe V Wade GIF by GIPHY News

Top Bottom