• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Dring: Astro Bot's UK opening week sales are 1/3rd lower than Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart

And that data isn't counting the Warhammer's official release yet, just the 90-100$ early access edition đź‘€

Warhammer 40K Grab GIF by Xbox

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
And that data isn't counting the Warhammer's official release yet, just the 90-100$ early access edition đź‘€

Warhammer 40K Grab GIF by Xbox

Playing through the game now, it's pretty good even as someone with little to no WH lore knowledge.

They deserve it.

The one in the OP or the new one?
The week is the same basically, it's just that the OP's numbers only contain physical data, and now they have digital too. Probably Space Marines 2 early editions didn't even have physical copy or it wasn't in stores yet, anyways most sales would be from PC which is only digital so.

Woopah

Yup, i knew it. Guy is a fucking idiot. He compared Astro Bot’s 3-4 day sale vs Ratchet’s full week sale at first. How the truth finally comes out.
He compared 3 days of physical to 3 days of physical, when physical was the only data available.

Now that digital has been released, he's comparing 3 days of total sales to 3 days of total sales.

That doesn't make him an idiot.

Edit: Which part do you disagree with demigod demigod ?

Last edited:

Rockman33

Yes it's really good. The game was made by 60 people. Rachet was made by over 300 people. See the difference?
Don’t have to be a dick, I simply asked a question.

According to the insomniac leaks their dev team for ratchet games are far smaller than say Spiderman or Wolverine.

Also, I thought ratchet was considered a very mild success if that for their new one. Didn’t it sell between 2-3 mil lifetime.

Taycan77

Neophyte
Needs updating.

Ratchet & Clank sold some 4m copies.

I've little doubt Astro Bot will sell significantly more, maybe even double the amount.

Astro had few pre-orders due to lack of awareness outside the hardcore gamer community.

The hype cycle only kicked in a day before release when reviews dropped.

Physical sales where limited due to said lack of pre-orders and lack of retail outlets in the UK.

Gamers impatient for the title went digital, while physical sales have picked up significantly at online retailers.

We're going to see Astro sell more in it's second (full) week than the first week (handful of days).

It will go one to be a mainstay in the top 20 well into the Christmas cycle.

Once again I'm reminded how reactionary and piss poor most gamers and YouTuber's are when discussing real work market realities. See Astro Bot, DualSense Edge, PS Portal and, cough, PS5 Pro.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This is goty for me. I'm two galaxies in and if it manages to keep it up it could be a top 10 games of all time for me.

My only complaint is astro bots movement is a little weak compared to the likes of a mario but everything else matches and even exceeds the absolute top tier Mario levels.

No hyperbole. This game is incredible!

Zacfoldor

I read all the bullshit, ect, then I was setting around yesterday playing the actual game and it dawned on me.

This game will have legs like crazy. By the end of the gen it will be a greatest hits.

So just remember, shitting on its sales today will be probably be bumped in a few years as a bad take. Astro gone do good.

The game is the definition of evergreen and will never stop selling. It's too good not to. This is way better than the last R&C game, just saying. Shit is not in the ballpark. General high quality will lead astro to success, and Rachet is not the peer you think it is.

Last edited:

ToneyJ

Ratchet & Clank sold some 4m copies.

I've little doubt Astro Bot will sell significantly more, maybe even double the amount.

Astro had few pre-orders due to lack of awareness outside the hardcore gamer community.

The hype cycle only kicked in a day before release when reviews dropped.

Physical sales where limited due to said lack of pre-orders and lack of retail outlets in the UK.

Gamers impatient for the title went digital, while physical sales have picked up significantly at online retailers.

We're going to see Astro sell more in it's second (full) week than the first week (handful of days).

It will go one to be a mainstay in the top 20 well into the Christmas cycle.

Once again I'm reminded how reactionary and piss poor most gamers and YouTuber's are when discussing real work market realities. See Astro Bot, DualSense Edge, PS Portal and, cough, PS5 Pro.
Yup. Ratchet was marketed super hard too. Was one of the titles they used to hype up PS5's SSD tech.

Last edited:

MSduderino

Neo Member
Astro did feel undermarketed considering the hype in hardcore circles. I expected to see ads on buses and stuff, but I guess I shouldn't have since it's relatively new IP. I was definitely more excited than the general public. I also heard from a Gen Z gamer friend "I don't like platformers" (maybe a more popular sentiment nowadays).

So this number is misleading and doesn't tell us anything really about sales. When do we expect to get numbers that actually hold significance? Next week?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Don’t have to be a dick, I simply asked a question.

According to the insomniac leaks their dev team for ratchet games are far smaller than say Spiderman or Wolverine.

Also, I thought ratchet was considered a very mild success if that for their new one. Didn’t it sell between 2-3 mil lifetime.

I wasn't trying to be a dick. And yes, it was a success. They've said it has sold 4 million units as of June 2023.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Guys, do we have another one of those 'legendary' threads that backfire, starting one way and ending up completely differently?

Kinda GIF

This is a game available only on one console against a multi-platform game available on Series consoles, PS5, and PC. It did amazing damn.
Yeah true, it definitely would have sold more if they brought it to more platforms - good point, hopefully Sony is realizing that!

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
omg, sounds like it flopped hard, I mean it didn't sell better then another game, made by another team, thats in a different genre.

WOW

Looks like they might close that team down for sure /s

I kid, but some of you might want to keep that same energy, a lot here clearly see this as a wild spin to try to force something negative about this game, yet some of you are in the Star Wars Outlaws thread literally doing the same thing trying to find some way of making it ranked number 1, as some wildly negative thing with any dumb spin.

Last edited:

demigod

He compared 3 days of physical to 3 days of physical, when physical was the only data available.

Now that digital has been released, he's comparing 3 days of total sales to 3 days of total sales.

That doesn't make him an idiot.

Edit: Which part do you disagree with demigod demigod ?
Go check his tweets out and do the math, the numbers do not add up for Ratchet to be 1/3 higher in physical.

Last edited:

Woopah

Go check his tweets out and do the math, the numbers do not add up for Ratchet to be 1/3 higher in physical.
There's two different trackers.

GfK has Astrobot selling 33% fewer physical units than Ratchet.

GSD has Astrobot being 21% higher than Ratchet in total units, with a 10% pt higher digital ratio.

So yes, the numbers don't add up. Meaning GSD has fairly different physical sales for Ratchet and/or Astrobot compared to GfK.

Rockman33

I still don't get where people get these numbers. It was very slightly below 4M.
I guess I didn’t put a question mark, so my fault. I was asking a question.

4m doesn’t seem very high for a PS 1st party game though. Not terrible or anything.

nial

I guess I didn’t put a question mark, so my fault. I was asking a question.
To be quite fair with you, 2.7M shipped units were indeed reported in one of those leaks. The final numbers were 3.9M *sold* as of June 2023.
4m doesn’t seem very high for a PS 1st party game though. Not terrible or anything.
It's GOOD, though. People shouldn't expect +10M sellers all the time, especially since the best-selling Ratchet & Clank (2016), game peaked at >7M units.

Last edited:

ToadMan

This is goty for me. I'm two galaxies in and if it manages to keep it up it could be a top 10 games of all time for me.

My only complaint is astro bots movement is a little weak compared to the likes of a mario but everything else matches and even exceeds the absolute top tier Mario levels.

No hyperbole. This game is incredible!

In my opinion not only does Astro "keep it up" but actually gets better the further in you get.

They really did a great job and finding ways to keep throwing new experiences at the player, and letting them be there for just the right amount of time to keep it fun.

Woopah

Sharing limited data to generate engagement just to share the full picture within 24H.

You're right it ain't cancer, it's death itself.
Its completely fine as long as you make it clear what information you're sharing.

Chris has been sharing both GfK data and GSD data for years. There's no need for him to stop doing that.

For example, if you look at old Japan sales threads on Neogaf you'll see that both Media Create and Famitsu data was shared. Which is also completely fine.

Basically I'd rather get more data than less data.

Last edited:
Top Bottom