• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Walken as Captain Hook looks amazing and terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyer

IIeVH1e.jpg

GcTWAg5.gif

Apparently something called Peter Pan LIVE! is on tonight.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014...playing-captain-hook-hes-pretty-much-like-me/

Christopher Walken on Playing Captain Hook: ‘He’s Pretty Much Like Me’

Those tuning into “Peter Pan Live!” on NBC this Thursday who are hoping for a classic take on Captain Hook may be in for a surprise. At least that’s what Christopher Walken says about bringing the famous pirate to life. “Hook is a wonderful part,” he told Speakeasy. “It’s a classic piece and my Hook is pretty much like me.”

Indeed, if you look at the teaser spots that NBC released, you can get a quick glimpse of Walken’s portrayal in all its deadpan glory. For many watchers who haven’t seen the famous Disney DIS +0.13% cartoon or a stage production of the classic, Walken has the opportunity to be the character’s introduction for a new generation. And that notion isn’t lost on him. “Any good theater, it doesn’t age,” he said.

Allison Williams, who plays the titular role of Peter, recently told the Journal that Walken is often improvising on set and has “no clue” what he’ll do during the broadcast. He sometimes walks the set alone, said producer Neil Meron, trying to inhabit his character. Unlike the rest of the cast, he also wore most of his costume during rehearsals. “It’s a lot to get used to: a hook, boots, hair,” Walken said. On a rehearsal break recently he was asked if he’d “found” Hook yet. “No,” he responded. “I’m hoping for a mitzvah.”

64Ie3SW.gif

What's up with Peter being played by a woman?

It's how he is always played on stage, part of the Pantomime tradition.

Theory is that children under 14 couldn't be on stage after 9 pm in England, and it just carried on. It continued with Mary Martin playing Peter in the 1954 Broadway version, which is the production usually used, including tonight.

TalonJH

I plan to be watching with popcorn in hand. At lest it looks better than last years, The Sound Of Music.

Is there a reason why they dropped the original mustache from the promos?

Fun fact:

is

daughter.
Wow

Yeah I understand Pan is often played by women in live shows, but it makes me feel really uncomfortable to be so aroused by Peter Pan.
No one thinks less of you.

didn't think panto was popular in the states

It isn't.

This is based off the 1955 Broadway musical, which has pantomime elements, like a woman playing the lead character, and audience participation to get Tinkerbell back to life, but other than that, it's just a musical aimed at kids.

TalonJH

No, but it's going to make watching this with my kids way more uncomfortable. ;)

Tell them to goto sleep, daddy's show is on.
Also if it's anything like last years The Sound of Music, there will be reruns.
If all else fails, spike their juice with NyQuil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom