• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Walken as Captain Hook looks amazing and terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overall I enjoyed the whole things.

Everything with Pan and Wendy was pure gold. Songs were great. Cannot get over how gorgeous Allison Williams is.

Everything with Walken was horrendous. He completely ruined this for me. As someone here mentioned earlier, every scene with him was like an SNL sketch where he didn't know his lines or what he was doing. Horrendous casting.

You guys may have enjoyed the laughs at him, but I didnt' want laughs, I wanted more of that feeling I got everytime Peter Pan sang.

Even though Tiger Lilly had dem thighs, her performance fell short also.

Overall I give the whole thing a 7/10. If Walken wasn't there, 8.5 or 9.

That Walken gif is literally the worst thing I've ever seen. Is that just a bad moment for him, or was he bored throughout?

Everything with Pan and Wendy was pure gold. Songs were great. Cannot get over how gorgeous Allison Williams is.

Everything with Walken was horrendous. He completely ruined this for me. As someone here mentioned earlier, every scene with him was like an SNL sketch where he didn't know his lines or what he was doing. Horrendous casting.

You guys may have enjoyed the laughs at him, but I didnt' want laughs, I wanted more of that feeling I got everytime Peter Pan sang.

I'm pretty sure Walken was cast for this exact reason. Sorry if you didn't want cynicism, but the show would have been dull as hell without Walken. Yeah, it's important to do a good job, but NBC wants ratings so that they can do this again in the future. Last year, everyone tried really really hard and did a great performance with "The Sound of Music" and the only thing people talked about was how bad of a job Carrie did, since the public would rather dwell on screw-ups than successes. NBC has to get ratings, and this was insanely popular last night because of how they portrayed it.

SofaKing

Hates all things good and decent in this world
wasn't amazing, but i enjoyed it for what it was... and now i have the biggest crush on Allison Williams.

Christopher Walken was hilarious. he obviously was just being himself, doing the Thriller walk all over the place, and a lot of his dancing parts being pulled from the Weapon of Choice video. also, they really could have turned his mic up or something in some of the songs, there were times you could barely him.

morecowbellpeterpan.gif

That's pretty bizarre. I mean, Sound of Music is maybe the most popular musical ever but I didn't think it made that big a difference.

It was always going to be down very significantly.

- SoM was the first live musical in 50 years
- SoM is probably the best known and most loved musical ever
- Carrie Underwood has a lot of fans, I can't imagine many people watched specifically to see Allison Williams.

5.9 is still a very good rating, probably more than three times what most NBC shows get, and it delivered that rating for the whole night, rather than the hour or half hour of most shows. It also delivered a lot of brand exposure for NBC.

I would expect they'll cast somebody for next years show that will bring in some eyeballs, and it's a better show too.

5.9 is still a very good rating, probably more than three times what most NBC shows get, and it delivered that rating for the whole night, rather than the hour or half hour of most shows. It also delivered a lot of brand exposure for NBC.

Yeah, but you also have to take into consideration that they were probably selling ad space based on SoM ratings (give or take a little). It didn't even come close to hitting a 10.9. Going to be a lot of makegoods going advertisers' ways. Between production costs, talent costs, and ad losses, I can't imagine NBC made much money on this.

Yeah, but you also have to take into consideration that they were probably selling ad space based on SoM ratings (give or take a little). It didn't even come close to hitting a 10.9. Going to be a lot of makegoods going advertisers' ways. Between production costs, talent costs, and ad losses, I can't imagine NBC made much money on this.

Do you really think the production costs were much higher than $10-12 million or so? 'Cause that's around what 3 hours of regular TV costs. And no way they promised SoM ratings to advertisers, they're stupid, but they're not that stupid.

Actually, I think Ivy posted about what sort of ratings SoM would need to do to break even in last years thread. I can't be bothered to search, but I don't think it was anywhere near a 5.9.

Revolver

I actually felt sorry for Allison Williams and Wendy. They seemed to be trying really hard and were committed to their roles. Walken was horribly miscast and just didn't seem to give a fuck. It was good for unintentional laughs but when everyone else was so invested and he was just there it was kind of depressing.

I work in national advertising for my local NBC affiliate, and most of the advertisers were giving it a 5.0 or 6.0. We might do a little bit of $0 underdelivery but nothing to write home about.

Not to mention this still won the night in the metered markets. I think that was the main goal - as long as they win Thursday Night, that's all NBC cares.

You also have to think about popularity:
-Carrie Underwood is a lot more popular than Christopher Walken (or anyone in the Peter Pan production) by a pretty large margin.
-Sound of Music as a musical is a lot more popular than Peter Pan as a musical.

I thought, all things considering, it did fairly well. A 5.9 on a Thursday night is not a bad rating. It's no Sunday Night Football, but it's still good on the hardest night of the week for NBC. That, and they got the deal to sell the DVD set for even more money.

Goldrush

I dunno.
For some reason, Hook being an aging, sarcastic, disinterested dandy kind of works.

That's somewhat close to my feeling as well. Technically, it's an awful performance, but he does come off as a grandpa Jack Sparrow. I did find him entertaining the whole way through unlike Carrie Underwood last year whenever she wasn't singing.

Okay, now I have to watch this thing. Wish I could have seen it live, but oh well.

My perspective on Walken's performance, based merely on this gif, is that his Hook is aware that he exists within a musical universe in which he must go through the motions but honestly would prefer he didn't have to.

Or perhaps Walken is just phoning it in.

HAHAHAHAHAHhaha yes YES

This is my new canon

I think Allison Williams is one of the most beautiful women on the planet and her Peter Pan get-up does nothing to convince me otherwise.

What is this thread about again?

J. Bravo

the rest of my family watched this tonight. given the pictures on the first page of peter pan. i should have watched. she's cute af.

GG-Duo

I'm a GIRLS fan, but Allison Williams was terrible in this. She was a very stiff Peter Pan.

And... Yeah Walken was even worse. Much worse. I turned my TV off after his first scene. It's like SNL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom