• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cincinnati braces for footage release in campus cop killing (Up: Murder charge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NimbusD

Ok so MSNBC cut it off before anything actually happened? That's what I'm getting from this thread.

If that's the case, they didn't even say anything about editing it, what shitty reporting.

Wondering if he'd be as balls deep on the hate train if it was Cincinnati PD is all. It's not just a private PD issue we face in this country but an overall issue with policing. Sorry, I'm getting tangential.
Usually campus cops at public universities are sworn officers like the city/county/state police. They're also usually considered state employees just like state police/troopers.

I'd think training and requirements are similar. But yeah could be some differences in union representation? I don't know. But they're certainly not private.

So looks like Officer Tensing was trying to get Dubose out of the car (told him to take off his seatbelt, looks like he tried the door handle), then quickly started trying to pull(?) Dubose out via the car window, Dubose resisted, and then the officer just drew his gun and shot Dubose in the head during the struggle.

Sound right?

So looks like the officer was trying to get him out of the car (told him to take off his seatbelt, looks like he tried the door handle), then quickly started trying to pull(?) him out, he resisted, and then the officer just drew his gun and shot him in the head during the struggle.

Sound right?

Yeah, it looked like the officer starting grabbing at him from the window, and after about 2 seconds of struggling he suddenly shoots him in the head for no reason. The driver then careers off to one side in an attempt to get away, but is obviously dying in those moments from the wound.

marrec

Banned
Usually campus cops at public universities are sworn officers like the city/county/state police. They're also usually considered state employees just like state police/troopers.

I'd think training and requirements are similar. But yeah could be some differences in union representation? I don't know. But they're certainly not private.

A lot of university cops are private not public I thought.

johnny956

You can hear it in the prosecutors voice "if we didn't have the video..." he knows there would be no indictment, and the police would get off scot free.

phaonaut

I looked away to do something, I heard the cop ask him to take his seatbelt then heard shots, what happened?

Struggle that lasted about 1 second (guessing, I think the driver was trying to put the car in drive), the officer came out with his gun and fired immediately, (I assume) drivers foot jammed against the gas pedal until he ran into a pole at the end of the street

I saw it unedited. It's hard to tell what even happened. One second they're talking to each other, then a shot, then first person "running cam." Hard to see what exactly happened.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I legitimately have no interest in watching the police snuff out another black life. This murder charge is a start. We still need to abolish the police.

jay

Wondering if he'd be as balls deep on the hate train if it was Cincinnati PD is all. It's not just a private PD issue we face in this country but an overall issue with policing. Sorry, I'm getting tangential.

I don't think you wonder. I think you know the answer.

Maddness

My audio feed died for a second or 2 and then came back and a reporter had just asked a question and he mentioned that he got tased and shot. What was that about?

Did the other cop tase him first from the other side of the car or something? That might explain why he even started driving off in the first place?

Either way, that shit was blatant as fuck and I hope they put this dude in the darkest hole they can find.

I saw it unedited. It's hard to tell what even happened. One second they're talking to each other, then a shot, then first person "running cam." Hard to see what exactly happened.

Given the brevity of the encounter, from conversation to gun shot, it is immediately clear the shooting was entirely unwarranted. There is absolutely no reason the officer had to fire the gun, it was murder.

saxman717

Banned
Disgusting.

Sort of glad that the video makes it hard to see the actual killing, because yes, this was straight up murder.

Major reform needed for police training and weapon handling / rules of engagement.

Given the brevity of the encounter, from conversation to gun shot, it is immediately clear the shooting was entirely unwarranted. There is absolutely no reason the officer had to fire the gun, it was murder.

I understand. I'm just saying if you only saw the "edited" version, and you're looking for the unedited version, you're not missing much. I don't know how they could even edit it. It hardly shows anything.

kswiston

Now we will get the "he was no saint" and "he should have obeyed the officer" articles and usual bullshit.

Probably, but at least the cop is getting a murder charge instead of internal investigation and administrative leave.

Body cams are leading to slow progress.

EDIT: Also, is it common for American universities to have their own police departments? My campus had like 3 security guards in a little house, armed with flashlights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom