• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V Brave New World |OT| More than Content Tourism

Getting sucked in to this magnificent game. Everything about it is so grandiose and epic! An alternate history of the world unfolding right before my eyes...

What do you all think the next expansion will introduce?

Well it's been two years since the last one and traditionally, Civ games only get two expansions so I wouldn't count the days lol

Getting sucked in to this magnificent game. Everything about it is so grandiose and epic! An alternate history of the world unfolding right before my eyes...

I'm hoping for a total conversion like Civ IV: Colonization, but this time based on Alpha Centauri.

does anyone know if the GMG key works for the mac version?

I assume so since its just a steam key and the steam key is for both the mac/pc client

although the GMG key wont let me apply a coupon to it so I guess I could just buy it straight from steam...

Myomoto

I doubt we'll see another expansion. Maybe some more DLC?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
For those of you who like military strategies, when is the earliest you go on the offensive? If you explore some ruins and get an upgrade, do you just go straight for it (even just to kill the workers and settlers that another faction creates, choking them off early if not outright taking their city) or do you wait til you have a few siege units and do it "properly"? I never really go for all out military, though I typically concentrate on tech and then hope to over-tech people in war rather than use numbers (ie bombers vs archers).

It's a bit of a cop-out to say "It depends on the civ you're playing" but... it really kinda depends on the civ you're playing.

The good military civs pretty much all have reasonably early, powerful unique units. The Huns are a good example: the Battering Ram is vicious, and it's available as soon as you research Bronze working. If you're playing them you want to be picking fights in the ancient era, come hell or high water. Find cities that ain't yours then ram 'em and raze 'em (or puppet 'em if you don't care about your battle strategies having cutesy alliterative descriptions). Rome's at its strongest relative to other civs when its Ballistae and Legions are current, so the Classical era is when you should be aiming to start fighting, and so on.

Absent any special units or whatnot, I usually aim for three timing windows: Classical era as soon as I have Catapults and Composite Bowmen, Medieval era as soon as I've got Trebuchets and Crossbowmen, or the Industrial era as soon as I get Artillery and can outrange enemy cities. I usually avoid picking major fights during the Renaissance if possible, on account of that's where the military unit upgrade paths go bananas and I become fearful and uncertain on account of that. The Renaissance and I just don't get along very well in general.

That's the general idea I follow when aiming for an aggressive game. I usually vacillate between Emperor and Immortal difficulties, and I can vouch for their efficacy on those settings, but I usually avoid Deity and don't play multiplayer so lots of luck if you try to apply any of these ideas there.

Acorn

Do you need to be on the VPN when you buy the game expansion, when you log in or just when you go to download it?

Just to start the download, once it starts you can go back to your own IP.

I used spot flux, switched it off as soon as the download started so I would get a decent speed.

Edit- I had preordered last week, doesn't matter what ip you preorder under.

Well it's been two years since the last one and traditionally, Civ games only get two expansions so I wouldn't count the days lol

No rush for sure! Just gets me curious about what is planned for the next update. I'm definitely enjoying it at a slow and steady pace!

Just to start the download, once it starts you can go back to your own IP.

I used spot flux, switched it off as soon as the download started so I would get a decent speed.

Edit- I had preordered last week, doesn't matter what ip you preorder under.

Awesome, thanks man.

Didn't get to install it last night, due to wife yelling at me to go to bed.

I'm just going to try to live vicariously through those who can play while I'm at work.

It's a bit of a cop-out to say "It depends on the civ you're playing" but... it really kinda depends on the civ you're playing.

The good military civs pretty much all have reasonably early, powerful unique units. The Huns are a good example: the Battering Ram is vicious, and it's available as soon as you research Bronze working. If you're playing them you want to be picking fights in the ancient era, come hell or high water. Find cities that ain't yours then ram 'em and raze 'em (or puppet 'em if you don't care about your battle strategies having cutesy alliterative descriptions). Rome's at its strongest relative to other civs when its Ballistae and Legions are current, so the Classical era is when you should be aiming to start fighting, and so on.

Absent any special units or whatnot, I usually aim for three timing windows: Classical era as soon as I have Catapults and Composite Bowmen, Medieval era as soon as I've got Trebuchets and Crossbowmen, or the Industrial era as soon as I get Artillery and can outrange enemy cities. I usually avoid picking major fights during the Renaissance if possible, on account of that's where the military unit upgrade paths go bananas and I become fearful and uncertain on account of that. The Renaissance and I just don't get along very well in general.

That's the general idea I follow when aiming for an aggressive game. I usually vacillate between Emperor and Immortal difficulties, and I can vouch for their efficacy on those settings, but I usually avoid Deity and don't play multiplayer so lots of luck if you try to apply any of these ideas there.

That's a good idea. I fucked it on my playthrough with Rome, I didn't even use either of the special units as I was turtling away. Actually, I lie - I used one legion to build some roads, that's it.

My next game will be a BNW one - I might go back to my good ol' England for my first go. I feel at home there.

Acorn

That's a good idea. I fucked it on my playthrough with Rome, I didn't even use either of the special units as I was turtling away. Actually, I lie - I used one legion to build some roads, that's it.

My next game will be a BNW one - I might go back to my good ol' England for my first go. I feel at home there.

I feel like England is underpowered in this. If you get a continent or pangea map your uu and ua pretty much mean nothing.

Ofcourse if its a map with a decent amount of ocean you absolutely dominate.

No rush for sure! Just gets me curious about what is planned for the next update. I'm definitely enjoying it at a slow and steady pace!

It's a great game for sure. Civilization is one of those few games that's nigh on infinitely replayable, even more so now that Gods and Kings gave you so much flexibility with religion and Brave New World gives you ideologies, all of which you can tinker with to suit the hand you've been dealt.

I feel like England is underpowered in this. If you get a continent or pangea map your uu and ua pretty much mean nothing.

Can't underestimate the power of the longbow my friend. With that range, it's like holding off a midget trying to punch you while you kick him in the balls.

This has always been one of my biggest critiques of Civ V - that a large number of the Civs are largely dependent on terrain. And when you don't get that terrain it's kind of a downer and probably enough excuse to start over.

I've always wished that policies and techs allowed you to better adapt to terrain - especially harsh terrain like desert and tundra - so you can adapt your Civ around the world you're given. Petra next to desert city is great, and almost OP, but it's a Wonder, so it's sometimes tough to get, plus it only works for one city.

Another solution to this would be to strengthen the starting bias. If I'm Montezuma, I want more jungles and lakes around me. Pachuti, give me hills and mountains. Isabella, put a natural wonder near my borders. Etc. Sometimes it's fun to choose the map based on your Civ, like small islands and Kamehameha, but that almost seems like cheating.

Maledict

The only map where England is disadvantaged is Pangea - there's certainly enough naval action on a continents map to abuse their UA as well as the ship of the line.

You have to remember, English Longbows are probably one of the three best UUs in the game, along with Cho-Ko-Nus and Keshik's. They are effectively artillery two eras early and in the hands of a player are absurdly powerful - plus their promotion means you get2 range Gatling guns, machine guns and bazook's which are also ridiculous.

The Ship of the Line is the best unique naval unit in the game, hands down - again, on any map other than Pangea hitting SotL should mean the death of every empire on a coast.

My main frustration with England is the AI is coded to play them in a very odd and perplexing manor. They are one of the top war civilisations in the game bar none, with two of then best units in the game and an ability that guarantees they win any naval combat, and yet the AI tends not to expand and waste its time throwing temper tantrums.

England's extra spy is also underrated-the earlier you get a spy, the more likely you'll get a chance to get it promoted. England is all-around good in Civ 5.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
On the subject of terrain dependency, at this early juncture one of my favorite new things about Brave New World is that Iron is now revealed as soon as you research Bronze Working, so you've actually got the opportunity to plan ahead. No more grabbing Iron Working only to find out that you ain't got none of the stuff to work.

That'd been bugging me ever since the game's original release.

Esch

Banned
can i not change Trade Routes?

hugemistake.gif

Jintor

Do I need to reinstall Civ V before I can install expansions? It's been so long since I've installed an expansion I don't remember anymore.

DEO3

When I preordered BioShock back in March I got a $30 credit for any digital 2K Games game from Amazon, which I specifically planned on using for Brave New World. Now the time has come and the credit isn't applying, and support wans't able to help me, so they've forwarded my issue to the promotions and marketing department and said it might take a couple of days for them to get back to me.

Glad I decided not to take today of work as I often do for highly anticipated releases, but still.. sad face.

llamarawk

Just purchased and downloading from steam now. What's a good starter civ for trying out tourism and other systems? I'm hearing Brazil?

ShaneB

Do I need to reinstall Civ V before I can install expansions? It's been so long since I've installed an expansion I don't remember anymore.

Civ V has always just been one entry on Steam, install Civ, you install everything you own :)

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Got a key, now trying to vpn for those damn three days.. damn.

samn

I live in the UK, and I was able to activate the game by using Spotflux as a proxy to login to Steam. When it started downloading I disabled Spotflux. Afterwards I had to download the /expansion2/ folder DLL. Now the game plays fine even if I don't use a proxy to login to Steam each time I play.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I know I will play the shit out of this like I always do with Civ games, but since the steam summer sale is so close I'm actually going to be strong and wait a bit. Hopefully BNW goes on sale and I can snag it cheaper, if the sale runs it's course and it never goes on sale then I'll just buy it outright.

Sometimes a little patience can go a long way....

Soler

Banned
I know I will play the shit out of this like I always do with Civ games, but since the steam summer sale is so close I'm actually going to be strong and wait a bit. Hopefully BNW goes on sale and I can snag it cheaper, if the sale runs it's course and it never goes on sale then I'll just buy it outright.

A gaf user was selling them for 12 dollars

Aureon

A fellow GAFfer is selling keys for 12$ a pop, i don't think even steam can outdo him.

SpotFlux doesn't work here, i got a VPN up in the US, but it started downloading, got at 25.4mb and is not progressing at all :(

Soler

Banned
12 dollars? How, this just came out??? Are they legit keys? If I could buy BNW for $12 I'd do so immediately, LOL!
Yea, there was a mix up on brazil steam pricing, they were selling for 1.50 so I guess people bought them in bulk
I haven't gotten mine to work but its prob cause I'm on Mac

samn

SpotFlux doesn't work here, i got a VPN up in the US, but it started downloading, got at 25.4mb and is not progressing at all :(

If it started downloading then that's good news. Turn off SpotFlux and it should proceed to download on your regular connection.

samn

Soler, what do you see when you start the game? Do you see the regular Gods & Kings menu? When you go into the DLC menu, is BNW listed (but unticked)? If so then you may be missing a DLL file.

Soler

Banned
Soler, what do you see when you start the game? Do you see the regular Gods & Kings menu? When you go into the DLC menu, is BNW listed (but unticked)? If so then you may be missing a DLL file.
I see gods and kings
No Bnw
I don't even have it under my dlc

Mrbob

When I preordered BioShock back in March I got a $30 credit for any digital 2K Games game from Amazon, which I specifically planned on using for Brave New World. Now the time has come and the credit isn't applying, and support wans't able to help me, so they've forwarded my issue to the promotions and marketing department and said it might take a couple of days for them to get back to me.

Glad I decided not to take today of work as I often do for highly anticipated releases, but still.. sad face.

I planned on using my 30 dollar credit today on this. Amazon only said the credit wasn't valid for pre orders.

slabrock

Banned

Same, I sent them an email hoping to get this figured out.

Aureon

Got it working with online vpn'd, but not offline \ not vpn.
What are the DLLs i need to delete? There seem to be no .dll in \assets\dlc\expansion2 >.<
Nevermind, working! See me in 24 hours.

quill is an amazing guy but deity or bust for any civ LPs I watch.

Early impressions of the Shoshone :

Either a liberty or tradition start is fine with these guys, but I kind of like Liberty if you can swing it since you have so many tiles that are going to need improvement. Pyramids seems easy to get and is worthwhile even on higher difficulties if you are going to have room for 6+ cities. You really want to use the last couple of ruins available for your pathfinders to get their composite bow upgrades. You also should be on the lookout for conquest going out of the early game since you get such a strong start.

Barbs seem more aggressive now and that new hand axe unit is hugely annoying.

and let's all rejoice that coastal starts no longer suck. They are actually pretty awesome, you want some coastal cities and you want to specialize them for $$$$, and your inland river cities for science or military production.

Top Bottom