• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V Brave New World |OT| More than Content Tourism

Seriously what the fuck. My connection dropped and got kicked to main menu with pop up message saying connection lost. Did not give me the chance to save. Lost alot of progress. If I knew about this shit beforehand I would have never purchased.

Could it be a Steam cloud issue?

Man really sucks when you hit industrial only to find there's no coal anywhere

at all

ever

I actually stopped playing with the real world map precisely because I'd always go and settle a city in the middle east, even if I were in the Americas or Australia or something, purely because I knew that, in 200 turns time, I'd have bucket loads of oil and no one else will. The predictability became a bit boring.

DEO3

Seriously what the fuck. My connection dropped and got kicked to main menu with pop up message saying connection lost. Did not give me the chance to save. Lost alot of progress. If I knew about this shit beforehand I would have never purchased.

Weird, I've never had an issue playing a steam game online or off. I've certainly never been kicked to the main menu.

Something I recommend everyone so though is to gointo option and set auto save to every turn. CIv V used to crash a lot for me and that simple option saved me a lot of stress.

Enco

This better be a fucking coincidence.

I didn't pay for always online garbage.

Maledict

A little update.

The other civs in this game were Japan, Dutch, Austria, Ethiopia and the Celts. Since everyone except the Dutch hated me, I decided that I was going to wipe them all out rather than go for a science victory as initially intended. Japan fell first because they started settling islands I wanted. Austria (the strongest civ at the time) became the testing ground for my new Ships of the Line and Privateers. They performed exceptionally well, every city was on the coast, I've never even had a single land unit enter combat. I've just obliterated the Celts, the Dutch are next now since they've stopped being my friend and refuse to trade luxuries reasonably.

Now that I have Ironclads and the Dutch are barely in the Rennaisance they should fall very quickly, thereafter it'll just be me and Hail Selassie.

I've got to tell you, It is incredibly easy to travel the world sacking capitals with a fleet like mine which has about 6-7 ranged ships and 6 melee ships like Privateers.

There isn't a civ in the game that can touch England at naval combat if they get to Ships of the Line. One of the flat out best units in the game combined with the best naval ability in the game = happy happy fun times.

It's a shame the AI is coded to play England so terribly - they are one of the top warmongers in the game, and should be a renaissance --> industrial war monster in the same way Greece, Attila and the Aztecs are in the early game. But for some reason Eizabeth just likes to expand slowly and get pissy with everyone because they touched a city state - think she has the highest AI score in the game for getting pissed if you touch another civ or city state.

Got a little bored of my Shoshone playthrough (it's too peaceful, and turns were taking unusually long), so I jumped over to a new one with Venice.

Started on a desert tile, in an area that's 1/3 ocean, 1/3 desert, and 1/3 plains. 3 Gold within 2 tiles, (and one that's 4 tiles away *grumbles*), 1 Gems. 2 Wheat, 2 Fish, 1 Horses. Got the Petra.

Yeah.

Maledict

Venice is coded to get the literal best starting position in the game on a coast. You a always actively put the spot the designers consider the best possible, so you should have tons of extra resources on top of your two luxuries.

If you manage to get Petra in that spot you outline that's going to be one utterly monstrous civ, especially if you get Desert Folklore as well.

Always online DRM = whatever Steam is doing, but I've played CIv during an Internet outage just fine in my region (NA).

I hear there is this "Petra" thing but in my games it always goes by turn 60-65. I enjoy the beautiful savagery of Deity but I do miss some of fun things other people get to play with (read: most ancient and classical wonders).

I did have a game recently where no one went tradition and I got Hanging Gardens at like turn 70. That was pretty neat.

Venice is coded to get the literal best starting position in the game on a coast. You a always actively put the spot the designers consider the best possible, so you should have tons of extra resources on top of your two luxuries.

If you manage to get Petra in that spot you outline that's going to be one utterly monstrous civ, especially if you get Desert Folklore as well.

I went with Religious Idols (+1 Faith, +1 Culture on Gold/Silver resources), which has been paying real nice early dividends. I guess desert folklore might prove more useful a little later on, but I wanted the early bonus on tiles I'd definitely be using.

Unfortunately, I'm sandwiched between Montezuma and Genghis Khan....

...and they both love me! Everything's coming up Milhouse.

roddur

Won my first BNW game with Portugal; Space victory. I love how I didn't have to fight anyone really but just maintain a nice standing army

ED2F2B418B3B56AE24F365357133F2E6B5206EC6

i'm surprised that your golden age counter is at 1295 at year 2031. how is it possible? mine goes to 1800 after like 4 golden ages.

Steam cards are in.

what are steam cards?

Man really sucks when you hit industrial only to find there's no coal anywhere

at all

ever

once i didn't have iron, coal, aluminum

once i didn't have iron, coal, aluminum

I can deal w/o Iron, not having Coal is a huge pain but bearable since those that do have coal have tons, but no aluminum is the damn worst. The only thing worse is no oil.

edit:

I keep reading about about AIs not being aggressive enough. I haven't found that to be the case. Anyone opening up - and sticking with - Honor is going to go bashing heads, and it will likely be your head unless you bait them to go beat on someone else.

There isn't a civ in the game that can touch England at naval combat if they get to Ships of the Line. One of the flat out best units in the game combined with the best naval ability in the game = happy happy fun times.

It's a shame the AI is coded to play England so terribly - they are one of the top warmongers in the game, and should be a renaissance --> industrial war monster in the same way Greece, Attila and the Aztecs are in the early game. But for some reason Eizabeth just likes to expand slowly and get pissy with everyone because they touched a city state - think she has the highest AI score in the game for getting pissed if you touch another civ or city state.
I think there was a game in which I managed to get Brandenburg Gate along with a bunch of training buildings and Heroic Epic on my capital. Every time I built a Ship of the Line out of the capital, I'd get enough exp for 2 bombardment or 2 targeting and 1 range. I'd basically have sea rocket arties rolling around with 7 movement. And I get to follow up with a bunch of Longbowmen for transitioned land sieges.

So glorious :O

IMO, naval warfare is more fun in Civ 5 than land warfare.

Oops, I destroyed the other 2 Civs on my continent way too quickly, now I'm lonely trying to build up my cities in preparation of either another civ sailing over here or my army going over there

I got lucky with finding weapon and tech in ruins really early on lol, Alexander and Genghis were no match for Shaka!

Oops, I destroyed the other 2 Civs on my continent way too quickly, now I'm lonely trying to build up my cities in preparation of either another civ sailing over here or my army going over there

I got lucky with finding weapon and tech in ruins really early on lol, Alexander and Genghis were no match for Shaka!

Shaka, when the walls fell

Really liking this so far. Won my first game; a cultural victory with Shoshone in 292 turns. I was mostly playing around with the new great works system and, later, archaeology, which is really what sped up my victory. I hadn't attacked anyone and only had to fend off Darius, plus, I was very lucky with coal and oil popping up in my territory once I got to the industrial era and because I got navigation early and was the first to research archaeology, after that it was just a matter of using archaeology to collect artefacts from other cultures to increase my cultural influence with them. I went from being influential with 1 other civ to having influence with all of them in about 20 turns. Shoshone's got some nice abilities that really help early on, as when founding cities the territory spreads out further towards luxury resources and, also, the pathfinder unit can select which bonus you get from exploring ruins, which was really useful early on in my game.

Trigger

What game speed do you guys normally use?
I'm on normal

I always play a large map on marathon with domination or diplomacy as the only victory conditions. I like the lower speed and slightly more aimless focus; though with the World Congress addition makes getting a diplo victory is way easier. My games end much sooner now.

I always play a large map on marathon with domination or diplomacy as the only victory conditions. I like the lower speed and slightly more aimless focus; though with the World Congress addition makes getting a diplo victory is way easier. My games end much sooner now.

My usual routine was to do Huge/Marathon, but due to my persistent inability to finish a game, I'm stepping it back to Huge/Epic.

I'm a chronic Civ V restarter. I like the exploration part so much that once it's done, I tend to just want to regen the world to start exploring a new one.

Trigger

Not quite. You can keep scouting the map or heck just keep them in your territory. They'll count towards your military strength rating which could in turn help ward off potential aggressors.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I just got Civ 5 Gold on the Steam sale. It includes Gods & Kings. Do I play vanilla Civ 5 or Gods & Kings?

Lame
My pathfinders are useless now

Gotta get them ancient ruin upgrades for 'em - turns pathfinders into freakin' composite bowmen o_O

Even without that, though, they're worth hanging onto for a little bit. With the defense/healing promotion (survivalism, IIRC) they're pretty strong defensive units. Couple that with the Shoshone bonus inside your territory and extra visibility, and they seem to make for great sentinel/guard units.

Lame
My pathfinders are useless now

Depending on the type of map you're on, scouts can be useful for putting on those tiny one hex islands that sit just outside of you're territory so another civ can't drop a city near you, placing them on archaeological sites you can't get to right away, or even just outside a hostile civ's territory to monitor troop movement. Even obsolete, they can still be useful.

Wiz

Like others, I bought this on Steam sale. First Civ game (in a long time)...

What did I just get myself into? :p

Depending on the type of map you're on, scouts can be useful for putting on those tiny one hex islands that sit just outside of you're territory so another civ can't drop a city near you, placing them on archaeological sites you can't get to right away, or even just outside a hostile civ's territory to monitor troop movement. Even obsolete, they can still be useful.

It's useful...but not for much. Allowing them to graduate to archaeology or something at modern era wouldn't be a horrible idea - drops their military use but they would get annihilated by any standard unit of that era anyway...

Sandfox

I just upgrade to Gold yesterday but I'm probably going to wait before going after this expansion. How are you guys liking it so far?

ShaneB

Like others, I bought this on Steam sale. First Civ game (in a long time)...

What did I just get myself into? :p

You bought yourself a time machine, but as mentioned before, it only travels forward in time. Hit 'Play', and suddenly it's 6 hours later.

Maledict

I'm not sure why there aren't modern era scout units. You can get a lot of mileage out of a unit with high visibility and movement.

A state of pure bliss ~

Civ 4 had modern scouting units (Explorers) and apparently the stats showed they were completely and utterly useless to the vast majority of players, so they didn't put a more modern equivalent into civ 5.

BTW on the pathfinders - the fact they upgrade to composite bowmen, not normal archers, means that the weapon upgrade option is actually really really powerful for them. You can do some very, very effective and nasty early warfare with a few of them running around, and once upgraded to composite bows they can then be upgrade as normal to crossbows etc.

Once the ruins start petering out I always try to get composite bow upgrades for my pathfinders. Honestly, it might be one of the best upgrades you can choose from, outside of :

population growth after hitting size 3 or more
culture ruin for the first ruin (automatic choice for me)

I find that the free techs aren't that big of a deal early on. You are gated by worker turns and city size, not tech speed.

Do people prefer guides in video or screenshot+text form? I'm working on a Liberty opener strategy and a 2/3 city Tradition into National College plan and wanted to kick some of this stuff out there as formal content.

Played as Morroco and done pretty well. Got a shitload of money from trade and have good relations with nearly all other Civs (12 of them), never went to war, usually helped when asked.
Buying City-state alliances has given me a load of votes in the UN so a diplomacy win is on the cards. Already got my religion as the world religion and probably try to make my Ideology (Freedom) the world Ideology (at least 7 other Civs already follow Freedom). Really enjoying it but I think I'll start a game and aim for a military win. What's the best Civ for that?

Trigger

Played as Morroco and done pretty well. Got a shitload of money from trade and have good relations with nearly all other Civs (12 of them), never went to war, usually helped when asked.
Buying City-state alliances has given me a load of votes in the UN so a diplomacy win is on the cards. Already got my religion as the world religion and probably try to make my Ideology (Freedom) the world Ideology (at least 7 other Civs already follow Freedom). Really enjoying it but I think I'll start a game and aim for a military win. What's the best Civ for that?

I like Oda and Japan's UA for conquest playthroughs.

KingK

Could someone explain how the Ideology approval stuff works? The game does a piss poor job of explaining this.

Right now I just adopted Freedom (going diplomatic Morocco), but my people are already discontent (giving me -23 fucking happiness) and want to switch to Order (the only other ideology at this point) just 2 turns after I adopted Freedom.

From what I can gather, it relates to tourism? I've been sort of ignoring tourism most of the game since I'm not going cultural. If a civ with another ideology has more tourism than you, do your people get discontent or something? That would seem pretty unbalanced and make ideologies fucking useless for anyone but cultural civs, so I'm guessing there's more to it than that. I really don't want to switch my ideology but -23 happiness is fucking killing me. I'm doing everything I can to remain at 1 net happiness right now.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
The much famed 4-city opener is dead, you need a DoF to trade up 240g <-> lux.

I'm still on my quest to win on Deity with Peaceful Wide, it seems impossible : (
I've done it with OCC science, 4-city science, and Wide conquest, but starting with Liberty really seems to slack up.
Anyway: Anyone has some practice with modding? i could use a hand, simply trying to swap the Roman Ballista for the civ IV Forum, and i'm failing hard-time at it.
Can i simply do a overwrite of the \gameplay .XMLs, or i do have to use the SDK?

Top Bottom