• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V Brave New World |OT| More than Content Tourism

Myomoto

Could someone explain how the Ideology approval stuff works? The game does a piss poor job of explaining this.

Right now I just adopted Freedom (going diplomatic Morocco), but my people are already discontent (giving me -23 fucking happiness) and want to switch to Order (the only other ideology at this point) just 2 turns after I adopted Freedom.

From what I can gather, it relates to tourism? I've been sort of ignoring tourism most of the game since I'm not going cultural. If a civ with another ideology has more tourism than you, do your people get discontent or something? That would seem pretty unbalanced and make ideologies fucking useless for anyone but cultural civs, so I'm guessing there's more to it than that. I really don't want to switch my ideology but -23 happiness is fucking killing me. I'm doing everything I can to remain at 1 net happiness right now.

Yeah, I'd like some clarification on this as well. I just ended up murdering the civ that was making my people discontent. That seemed to solve it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The much famed 4-city opener is dead, you need a DoF to trade up 240g <-> lux.

Well it's not totally dead, since tradition + 4 cities is still very strong, even if they're coming at a slower rate than they use dto.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Well it's not totally dead, since tradition + 4 cities is still very strong, even if they're coming at a slower rate than they use dto.

Well, not dead, but the linked guide kind of is: it straight-up requires fast-sales and sometimes loaning.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Well, not dead, but the linked guide kind of is: it straight-up requires fast-sales and sometimes loaning.

Oh yeah, the particular kind described in civfanatics is deaf dead.

Jintor

I don't really get the best way to utilise religion. Seems like I'm spending more time spreading it than actually getting any use out of it.

Vespene

So I'm almost done with my Venice playthrough.

I haven't fought a single war still. My army consists of 4 land units and 3 naval vessels. I am the richest empire in the world with about 10,000 gold sitting in my coffers. I've purchased every structure and unit for most of the game, while using my hammers just to for Wonders. Every time an empire starts insulting mine (a sign that they are scheming an invasion), I use my considerable wealth to bribe other empires into war with them while I never declare war. By the time they're done fighting, their war machine is too weak for to threaten me.

I've also realized empires don't eternally hate you like they did before BNW. Some civs actually turn friendly a hundred years or so after an all out war, through trade and diplomacy (aka bribes).

All in all, I love being rich. I feel like the illuminati, pulling the strings of world politics while my city thrives in eternal peace in my remote peninsula.

Trigger

I was trying to be the founder of the World Congress this play through, but in literally the same turn that I discover the last two civs I was missing, England creates the Congress.

motherfucker

samn

Could someone explain how the Ideology approval stuff works? The game does a piss poor job of explaining this.

Right now I just adopted Freedom (going diplomatic Morocco), but my people are already discontent (giving me -23 fucking happiness) and want to switch to Order (the only other ideology at this point) just 2 turns after I adopted Freedom.

From what I can gather, it relates to tourism? I've been sort of ignoring tourism most of the game since I'm not going cultural. If a civ with another ideology has more tourism than you, do your people get discontent or something? That would seem pretty unbalanced and make ideologies fucking useless for anyone but cultural civs, so I'm guessing there's more to it than that. I really don't want to switch my ideology but -23 happiness is fucking killing me. I'm doing everything I can to remain at 1 net happiness right now.

You need to focus on culture as a defensive measure against their tourism, pick an ideology that doesn't oppose the big touristy civs, or wipe out the big touristy civs with your military might.

satori

I haven't fought a single war still. My army consists of 4 land units and 3 naval vessels. I am the richest empire in the world with about 10,000 gold sitting in my coffers. I've purchased every structure and unit for most of the game, while using my hammers just to for Wonders. Every time an empire starts insulting mine (a sign that they are scheming an invasion), I use my considerable wealth to bribe other empires into war with them while I never declare war. By the time they're done fighting, their war machine is too weak for to threaten me.

I've also realized empires don't eternally hate you like they did before BNW. Some civs actually turn friendly a hundred years or so after an all out war, through trade and diplomacy (aka bribes).

All in all, I love being rich. I feel like the illuminati, pulling the strings of world politics while my city thrives in eternal peace in my remote peninsula.

This sounds absolutely amazing....cant wait to get home. Damn you Civ my weekend is yours and yours alone!!!!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
This is turning out kinda of nice actually. I had to mass produce military units because, well, fucking barbarians everywhere. Advisor confirmed to not look at game state, because they want me to build settlers and workers when I am literally surrounded by barbs. Anyway, Theodora was getting ahead but me clearing all these bards has allied me with every city state. Yes.

Zeroth

Okay, now I have to try Venice. Any social policy recpmmendations?

Sibylus

Banned
Through sheer triumph of will, I've begun to discipline my Civ binges... oops, 10 and a half hours gone. Goddammit Sid.

Oh well, at least I'm now in #1 score position, with the largest empire and running away with Science. Could also try for a Diplomatic or Culture victory, not sure what I want yet. I stopped buying city states, instead I'm just doing insanely profitable (4k+ gold in an instant) Merchant trade missions, and then pouring that money into things like buildings for all my puppets.

England is gone, I devastated Ethiopia after he got lippy with me and threw our game-long romance into the trash (I mercifully left him a dinky, worthless non-capital on the coast), I knocked Portugal down to size, and in between all these wars I'm a pretty nice person who creates giant defensive-pact blocs that tend to achieve peace in entire hemispheres of the world.

I'm a fierce, mercurial cunt.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
9273948868_3a911365fb_o.png

Just got mine

Sibylus

Banned
005ff20e199cf32aec5c98552650c8ee96fa2d6b.jpg
The Great Betrayal
  • As Venice, capture the Holy City of the religion that the city of Venice follows.

Best cheeve. BEST CHEEVE.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Is it really necessary for every world leader to give their thoughts after you've made a proposal? Shit may as well be pop-up ads.

CoLaN

Ok, this is my first Civilization. I won the vanilla game from the steam thread giveaway, and bought the gold upgrade and Brave new world.

Just one question: should i read up on some forums/sites to get an idea of the game mechanics, or going in the tutorial/game will be fine to learn as I play?

Jintor

Ok, this is my first Civilization. I won the vanilla game from the steam thread giveaway, and bought the gold upgrade and Brave new world.

Just one question: should i read up on some forums/sites to get an idea of the game mechanics, or going in the tutorial/game will be fine to learn as I go?

Either is fine - in-game civopedia is pretty extensive if you can figure out how to navigate the sucker - but be prepared to spend a lot of time. And I fucking mean a loooooooooooot of time.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Just one question: should i read up on some forums/sites to get an idea of the game mechanics, or going in the tutorial/game will be fine to learn as I go?

Watch a lets play video

I love the new culture victory. In Vanilla and G&K I would turtle with 1-4 cities. Here I was buying votes for key World Congress enactments, struggling to trade for the right great works for theme bonuses, and I still ended up having to launch a surprise strike on Ramesses's capital to cripple his culture. I'm still at a loss as to how to manage the new opening (where no one wants to buy anything from me), but I hope to try another game or two this weekend.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
9273948868_3a911365fb_o.png

Just got mine

Wow, so the 33% sale price was a mistake? I bought BNW at the $20 price of 33% off yesterday, so that was an error? Well, I'm glad I pulled the trigger while I did then...

Babalu.

noooooo

does that mean it wont go on sale again? I missed it yesterday and have been waiting!!

i've been on camping for the past week and just got back..

Top Bottom