• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V Brave New World |OT| More than Content Tourism

Professor

Neo Member
I'm guessing that the free copy of Civ IV is only for people who bought it through steam, and since I got it off Amazon I'm shit out of luck?

Wait, this released four days ago? Weird, thought it came out at the end of the month. I guess it's just been sitting in my library.

If anyone reading this thread wants a free copy of Civ 4, PM me or respond by quoting this post. Obviously can't use ModBot for this.

stephen08

I tried to pre-buy through Steam and there was a problem with Paypal so I ended up going with GMG. Not bad because I got it for $26 but I think I would have rather had the Civ IV bonus as I haven't played it.

Anyway, BNW is great so far. I have completed 2 games to test out the new Victory conditions. I thought winning as Venice would be tricky but if you go with patronage and and keep as many city states as you can in your pocket you can basically control the World Congress up until it becomes the UN.

I want to start a game with an 'Only War' challenge, so the minute I meet other civs or city states I have to declare war on them and I can't accept peace treaties. Which civilization would you guys recommend for this massively hostile environment? Any victory condition is allowed (apart from diplomatic which is obviously impossible.)

stephen08

I want to start a game with an 'Only War' challenge, so the minute I meet other civs or city states I have to declare war on them and I can't accept peace treaties. Which civilization would you guys recommend for this massively hostile environment? Any victory condition is allowed (apart from diplomatic which is obviously impossible.)

Japan has a pretty nice bonus of fighting at full strength when wounded. Couple that with a wonder where your units fight better in friendly territory and you should be solid.

I was getting ready to do a cheating game of One-City-Challenge with Venice, when I realized OCC only affects human players. That sucks. I wish they could do it to AI Civs too. But I bet the AI can't compensate for not constantly eating up land.

This game is ruing my plans for my day off. Even when I take a break, I quickly get the urge to play again.

I'm starting to think enabling raging barbarians on Emperor was a bad idea. On an archipelago game as Indonesia barbs have become a real problem. And I just happened to start nowhere near any iron resources.

Bit new to Civ. Actually, I've never played(far as I know) any Civ titles in the past. It's a series I've always wanted to try, just to sate my curiosity. Would you all recommend starting with vanilla? Or perhaps the expansion before Brave New World?

I keep hearing that BNW solves many issues the vanilla Civ had, so should I even bother? Appreciate any advice.

Enco

Bit new to Civ. Actually, I've never played(far as I know) any Civ titles in the past. It's a series I've always wanted to try, just to sate my curiosity. Would you all recommend starting with vanilla? Or perhaps the expansion before Brave New World?

I keep hearing that BNW solves many issues the vanilla Civ had, so should I even bother? Appreciate any advice.
I got into the game recently and started with vanilla. Played 7 hours now and it was fun.

Going to move on to BNW though. Don't see any reason why you would play Vanilla instead.

Upgraded to Gold with the steam sale. So many expansions. Anything in particular worth playing?

I would recommend jumping straight into BNW or G&K, as they are straight up better games than vanilla.

The only reason to avoid going straight to BNW is if the new systems might make the game too complex for a first timer. But if you like the game you're going to want to upgrade anyway and It'd probably be best just to learn how to play with all the expansions.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I played vanilla first because it came with my ccopy of XCOM. I wanted to play it first before I upgraded to G&K so that I could compare the two. Keep in mind though, that a lot of the really egregious problems in vanilla were fixed by patches before G&K came out, but GK overall is a huge improvement over vanilla nonetheless.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You can achieve diplo victory even if you're at war with everyone if you have enough city state allies.

I don't think i've ever had a diplo win where more than one other civ voted for me anyway :p

So, stuck between Montezuma and Genghis Khan, and guess who decides to get gutsy and settle a city right next to Venice?

Freakin' Brazil.

They're half a world away, and they dropped a completely undefended city all of 5 tiles away from Venice and my massive defensive force. Unfortunately for Brasilia, it was also on that 4th Gold resource that I mentioned was just out of reach. Short story shorter: now I own that 4th Gold resource.

....and Sao Paulo, halfway across the map, which he offered up as some kind of penance.

Montezuma, Genghis, and I, still the best of friends. So weird.

Trigger

I'm loving the World Congress now that I'm in control of more delegates. I just wish sessions happened more frequently. I hate waiting 90 turns or so in the beginning just to see if proposals pass or not.

Also: I wish there were more fantasy mods available for Civ 5.

Myomoto

So, stuck between Montezuma and Genghis Khan, and guess who decides to get gutsy and settle a city right next to Venice?

Freakin' Brazil.

They're half a world away, and they dropped a completely undefended city all of 5 tiles away from Venice and my massive defensive force. Unfortunately for Brasilia, it was also on that 4th Gold resource that I mentioned was just out of reach. Short story shorter: now I own that 4th Gold resource.

....and Sao Paulo, halfway across the map, which he offered up as some kind of penance.

Montezuma, Genghis, and I, still the best of friends. So weird.

Don't trust Montezuma, that asshole always turns on you in the end. Ghengis is usually a real bro.

Totakeke

Theming bonuses, how do I exactly get the details? Someone said it's in the tooltips, but where?! How to know if some buildings have theming bonuses and others don't? Playing as France is frustrating :(

megalowho

Played as Brazil until late last night, had to finish off the Netherlands after they started creeping in on my manifest destiny. Now it's time for endless Carnival. Looking forward to digging deeper into the tourism and trade route system, I like what I've dabbled with so far and I'm already a big fan of how they redid the social policies.

I'm among those initially disappointed with the limitations of Civ V (despite 100+ hours played) but it's grown into a sprawling, complex and elegant game that's quite worthy of the series lineage after two proper expansions. Can easily see myself putting in another 100+ from here - all I need now is a Baba Yetu mod for the title screen.

Maledict

Theming bonuses, how do I exactly get the details? Someone said it's in the tooltips, but where?! How to know if some buildings have theming bonuses and others don't? Playing as France is frustrating :(

Mouse over the empty slot on a building or the +0 on a building.

Theming bonuses only occur on buildings with multiple slots, and each varies depending upon the building. For example the Louvre requires 2 works of art and 2 artefacts, each from a different civ and different era to get its bonus. The Sydney Opera House requires three pieces of music from the same era to activate its bonuses.

Didly

Banned
Let's talk early game for a second.

I have a couple questions because I've been playing with my buds a lot recently and, in my off time, have been working on my early game strategy.

First, just how important is it to pick the perfect city settling location in the beginning? And how many turns is too many to have no of founded a city?

For instance, is it worth it to wait up to 5 turns to find the perfect spot to settle?

Ogimachi

I pre-ordered BNW and have no (extra) CivIV copy so far. That's a poor apology, btw, every civ fan already has IV. Give us mods in MP and all is forgiven, if you ask me.

Ogimachi

I have a couple questions because I've been playing with my buds a lot recently and, in my off time, have been working on my early game strategy.

First, just how important is it to pick the perfect city settling location in the beginning? And how many turns is too many to have no of founded a city?

For instance, is it worth it to wait up to 5 turns to find the perfect spot to settle?
5 turns before your first city? No way, even 1 missed turn might cost you.
Delay it only when you don't have 2 luxury resources in tiles you could work on or if you're playing as Venice.
Man mid game is dragging
It's basically an arms race with France and my empire is unhappy
How do combat this?
It depends on what kind of empire you're building. One advice I can give - and there are many experienced players who disagree - is never to annex or make puppets. Raze the city, and if it was a good location, buy a settler and build your own there.
Also, don't pick Piety or Patronage, except when you're playing as a civ absolutely focused on that.

Don't trust Montezuma, that asshole always turns on you in the end. Ghengis is usually a real bro.

Yep. Agreed. If Montezuma trusts you then he's clearly leeching off of your trust and economy whilst he arms up and prepares to betray you the moment he has a strong force of fighters ready.

Honestly, I wouldn't delay it more then 1 or 2 turns. The amount of time to explore a potentially better location will just set you so far behind resource wise you might as well have just plunked your 2nd city on the better location. Although it is well worth moving your settler 1 or 2 hexes potentially if you find a good spot, things to look out for are making sure your city is parked on top of a luxury resource so you can work it super early, next to a river or mountain for unique buildings and next to the coast for ship building potential. If you are a war nation and surrounded by forests it might also be worth settling your capital on a hill if possible for the line of sight advantage and higher defense, although that will slightly damage your production.

f0rk

I'm playing as Venice and Rome is pretty much dominating the continent (killed France, crippled Spain) but I pretty much left him to it until he started on me. I defended him off easily first time, then he came back pretty much straight away and he's asked for peace but I'm like nah son you've started something here so now I'm going to take Rome from him (it's really close). How pissed will he be after I take it and make peace? Do I get the extra congress seat as it is in Rome?

InertiaXr

Is there any way to get this under $30, maybe closer to $20 or even lower? I already have civ5 base game and Gods and Kings, and didn't know enough about this expansion to preorder it off GMG for whatever they had it before release. :/

Trigger

I'm playing as Venice and Rome is pretty much dominating the continent (killed France, crippled Spain) but I pretty much left him to it until he started on me. I defended him off easily first time, then he came back pretty much straight away and he's asked for peace but I'm like nah son you've started something here so now I'm going to take Rome from him (it's really close). How pissed will he be after I take it and make peace? Do I get the extra congress seat as it is in Rome?

He's going to be fairly pissed to see you take his capital, and it will not gain you extra votes in the Congress.

Top Bottom