• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V Brave New World |OT| More than Content Tourism

I hate how Civ V doesn't work well with Alt-tabbing, No, I don't want to change my Windows color scheme.
That's weird. I usually(rarely) see the color scheme message when I'm low on system resources. Alt-tab is almost a necessity for me in the late game. Around turn 400 it turns into Next Turn, Alt-tab, read GAF/work on photoshop for a minute, Alt-tab, still Processing City-states, Alt-tab, lurk K-pop thread, Alt-tab, A Unit Needs Orders. Repeat.

What difficulty you playing on?
Spain, Continents, Small, Chieftain, Standard

I started going heavy on religion, but stopped when I wasn't sure what else to do after spreading the religion. I then moved to culture, but had to divert to some military as Germany continues to harass me. I negotiated peace and gave them a city to leave me alone but they continue to attack me after the 10 turns were up. I made friends with France's empire which is similar size to Germany's. Really struggling to survive at the moment.

I always play windowed (though full screen resolution) and it's an absolute champ. It means I can have (and use) Gaf on one screen whilst seeing the progress in the window on the other. I also have Breaking Bad on the other screen most of the time, too.

Myomoto

This is sort of a minor thing I guess, but am I the only one who'd like for the units in the game to be skinned for their appropriate ethnicity? This is already the case for cities + background music where there is 4 generic 'sets' (African/middle eastern, Asian, native American, and European). I just always hated stuff like Japan having medieval Europe styled knights running alongside their Samurai, etc.

Keep the units and tech trees the same, just make them look somewhat ethnically appropriate.

Won my first new Cultural Victory last night

Played as Brazil. Got Influential with Assyria in the 1700s, then nothing for ages. I went freedom, completed Chichen Itza, filled out Tradition and Aesthetics and just shat out great writers and musicians, then I'd buy great artists with the faith I was producing and initiate a 12 turn Carnival during which I'd be getting 700 culture a turn and 300+ tourism.

I pretty much achieved influential status with everyone else within 50 turns.

It helped that I'd somehow managed to befriend everyone in the game minus the Celts who I took a city from right at the start. The Celts spent the rest of the game trying to ban everyone's luxuries with only two delegates, meanwhile I sweet talked everyone into voting for Freedom as the world Ideology. Even though the others civs were constantly plotting against one another I never got denounced by any for making friendship pacts, and there was a point during the game where I had shared my intrigue with every civ about another civ's plotting.

This is sort of a minor thing I guess, but am I the only one who'd like for the units in the game to be skinned for their appropriate ethnicity? This is already the case for cities + background music where there is 4 generic 'sets' (African/middle eastern, Asian, native American, and European). I just always hated stuff like Japan having medieval Europe styled knights running alongside their Samurai, etc.

Keep the units and tech trees the same, just make them look somewhat ethnically appropriate.

Civ IV did this to an extent did they not?

I seem to remember archers looking different depending on our cultural group so asian archers were distinct from european archers.

Otherwise I'm not particularly bothered about whether or not Shaka's riflemen have black skin or not.

Hari Seldon

Does this expansion finally make multiplayer as smooth as it was in Civ IV? Without all of the disconnects and terrible lag and such?

Edit: I typically play with about 4 people + AI civs.

Trigger

Yeah, I believe there are mods for this kind of thing, but it's still an odd exclusion. Why are all my Shoshone knights white men? :p

SamVimes

In my current "multiplayer" (2 players including me and 4 AIs, 2 of which i killed completely and took a capital off another) game i have an overwhelming advantage in everything but City states influence. I know the other player has maxed patronage and has to go for a diplomatic victory.
How the hell do i stop him? I can't match him gold for gold in City states simply because he gets much more out of it than i do, i can't attack him because even though my army is much stronger now he has more advanced units and is so far away that i don't think 7 turns would be enough to put my army in a good position to fight and we're playing in archipelago too.

This is around turn 250 in a quick game, i'm thinking of killing off a couple of city states just so he has less free delegates and then i can try to launch a more serious attack.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Put all your spies in his city states with the lowest influence. Get the freedom tenet that doubles the rate of rigged elections. Take out some of the others.

Alternatively, ally the ones you can through a mix of gold gifts and spies, and then go to war to lock him out of them.

Myomoto

Put all your spies in his city states with the lowest influence. Get the freedom tenet that doubles the rate of rigged elections. Take out some of the others.

Alternatively, ally the ones you can through a mix of gold gifts and spies, and then go to war to lock him out of them.

Does the Freedom tenet affect chances of a successful coup?

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
In my current "multiplayer" (2 players including me and 4 AIs, 2 of which i killed completely and took a capital off another) game i have an overwhelming advantage in everything but City states influence. I know the other player has maxed patronage and has to go for a diplomatic victory.
How the hell do i stop him? I can't match him gold for gold in City states simply because he gets much more out of it than i do, i can't attack him because even though my army is much stronger now he has more advanced units and is so far away that i don't think 7 turns would be enough to put my army in a good position to fight and we're playing in archipelago too.

This is around turn 250 in a quick game, i'm thinking of killing off a couple of city states just so he has less free delegates and then i can try to launch a more serious attack.

Kill off as many city states as you can.
If he has globalization, declare war and try to get all AIs to declare war, so he won't get bonus delegates.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=91830423&searchtext=

It predates BnW, obviously, but this one's pretty nice.

ascii42

What was the original reason to not add clock (12/24) to Civ V?
DwCa5Xk.jpg

is part of Civilization gameplay.

Jintor

One little touch I appreciated was that if you play as the Mayans your calendar gets all screwy until you mouse over it. That's nice.

I hope the game triggers a world ending disaster in 2012

Haly

Whoever discovers every civ in the world first, provided they have researched Printing Press.

Zeroth

Is there any point in starting the World Congress besides being the first host? I thought you had a permanent bonus like +1 delegate, but turns out that's not the case.

InertiaXr

Is there any way to get puppetted cities as Venice to build wonders like East India Company? I bought a prime trading location CS and I really want it to have EIC in there because it has like 6+ trade routes out of there, but since it's considered a wonder I can't just outright buy it and puppetted cities never seem to build those.

Trigger

Is there any point in starting the World Congress besides being the first host? I thought you had a permanent bonus like +1 delegate, but turns out that's not the case.

It's good for business to have knowledge of who all the major players are, and I think there's a distinct advantage in having the most delegates from the get go. If you play your cards right you can maintain the host position and continue to rack up political power..

Haly

You get to control, more or less, the first resolution that gets passed. This can be a very big boon or very small one depending on your chosen victory path. If nothing else, you preempt someone else messing with your victory path by seizing the bonus delegates.

World Congress basically introduces a "clock" whereby you're forced to interact with other civs. Given that such a clock exists, it behooves you to dictate the terms on which you interact with the other civs of the world, rather than leaving it to the whims of the AI.

Also you can kind of see what AI is doing what by seeing which resolutions they are for/against. It's a minor point really, but shouldn't be overlooked.

Oh God, what the fuck? Why are mods so horribly implemented in this game?

Never had a problem with a Steam workshop mod that supported the current patchlevel. Just subscribe to the mod and enable it using the mods menu, start game.

They are goofed in multiplayer but that's not a priority for me.

SamVimes

Kill off as many city states as you can.
If he has globalization, declare war and try to get all AIs to declare war, so he won't get bonus delegates.

Thanks to both, probably gonna kill of as many city states as i can and just buy the other. Can't really convince the AIs to help me though, i was thinking of trying with Japan (he's near my opponent too) but Egypt hate my guts, most likely because after they waged war on me i took their capital and razed one of their cities.

Vespene

Yeah the multiplayer needs some work.

I would love to see a Civ game, that's not necessarily a numbered entry, which focuses exclusively on providing a multiplayer experience. And no, do not bring up Civ World.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yeah the multiplayer needs some work.

I would love to see a Civ game, that's not necessarily a numbered entry, which focuses exclusively on providing a multiplayer experience. And no, do not bring up Civ World.

I literally have next to no interest in playing Civ multiplayer. It's always been a single player engrossing yet relaxing experience for me.

If I did play it MP though I'd only really do a very long extended play by email game. Honestly I don't even know if Civ 5 supports PBEM, does it? I'd try that, it would take weeks to finish a game, lol.

Ferrio

Banned
So... has anyone organized a bigass CiV 5 gaf game? That sounds like it could be epic....

Would require the whole weekend atleast...

Top Bottom