• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V Brave New World |OT| More than Content Tourism

mishakoz

Is there literally any reason to never take 'tithe' if you're founding a religion? It's still seems completely broken, perhaps a little less so now that everyone can make mad bucks with trade routes.

I always select it too, that can mean big bucks if you follow through and convert some empires. With the Byzantines, I selected the two money giving options and my religion poured in more than 300 GPT early in the game too.

Some thoughts on Venice. Playing through now, doing pretty well with the highest score (yay?) and influential on one civ, gaining though. Going for that cultural victory.

1) Commerce is a useless branch for Venice IMO. All my trade routes are sea based, so exploration works better. Golden Ages dont do much, increases maybe about 100 gold (have 774 right now from 13 trade routes) so the happiness bump isnt that helpful. dont have many roads or railroads, and dont really need the discount on the buying since most of my cities come with most of the buildings. Definitely specific to Venice, but i wouldnt recommend commerce.

2) I feel bad just being able to buy off city states one turn before the congress convenes. Its too easy when you have this much money. I think thats the most broken thing, if you are loaded you can do almost anything. Not even going for the diplomatic victory, but i could easily get it.

3) Freedom ideaology doesnt help much with cultural growth, and all the second tenets have to do with waring, thats annoying.

Playing on Emporer, Epic length.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
1) Commerce is a useless branch for Venice IMO. All my trade routes are sea based, so exploration works better. Golden Ages dont do much, increases maybe about 100 gold (have 774 right now from 13 trade routes) so the happiness bump isnt that helpful. dont have many roads or railroads, and dont really need the discount on the buying since most of my cities come with most of the buildings. Definitely specific to Venice, but i wouldnt recommend commerce.

Oh? I took it, built Big Ben, took Autocracy, and went on a shopping spree. Not enough happiness? Bought a zoo, walls, castle, and all those other happiness buildings in all my puppets no sweat.

The extra happiness from luxuries made my global conquest all that much faster, too. (Immortal).

Would civs go angry at you if you Puppet-ize their city state allies?

Everyone goes ballistic if you capture city-states in any fashion. You know that weird chain denounce you sometimes see on turn 40/50? That's because one civ ate a CS and they all went nuclear hating him for it.

xenist

Everyone goes ballistic if you capture city-states in any fashion. You know that weird chain denounce you sometimes see on turn 40/50? That's because one civ ate a CS and they all went nuclear hating him for it.

You won't have problems if you can sneak it early on. During my last Assyrian game I pumped out some siege towers and gobbled up two city states very early. They were actually my empire's second and fourth cities. No one seemed to notice.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Yikes, so Venice is gonna be angry with everyone with its Great Merchant spam.

Skyzard

Banned
BTW, if you guys haven't been playing domination games with airports at the endgame, check it out. They are wonderful for moving units to other continents.

I had not...I take that it's part of BNW? I was wondering about that at the late stage of my game but thought it would be too difficult to deal with unit drops...but building to building sounds awesome.

Thanks for answering so many questions as well Fragamemnon, reading a lot in these threads.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Airlift ability granted by airport is awesome - let's you move units with ease.

With that said, Morocco's "Here's Looking At You, Kid" is pretty hard to do.

Sibylus

Banned
I can't remember if Airport-to-Airport troop deployments were in Civ IV, but they were a lategame staple for me in Civ III.

jph139

Gah - waist-deep into a game as Washington, doing very well, but the damn thing keeps crashing at Turn 202. Three, four times now - crashes whenever I end my turn. So frustrating.

Skyzard

Banned
The game is currently the second highest played game affer Dota 2

189,842 411,035 Dota 2
57,578 70,091 Sid Meier's Civilization V
49,860 65,415 Team Fortress 2
29,792 40,473 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
26,925 31,898 Borderlands 2
25,590 30,066 Garry's Mod
18,248 33,001 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
17,118 39,033 Football Manager 2013
14,378 31,124 Counter-Strike
13,736 18,217 Shadowrun Returns

Was it always like that? Or has the sale been super popular?

Bregor

The game is currently the second highest played game affer Dota 2

Was it always like that? Or has the sale been super popular?

Civ 5 has consistently been in the top 10 played games on Steam ever since it's original release ... think about that for a moment.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
BAxHLVv.jpg

I tried out the Siam Wat + Jesuit Education trick.

Crazy science hahaha.

It's been a long time since I played Alexander, remembering why I liked him. So easy to snowball if you really try hard early on with barb camp clears for city states.

So do you guys use random personalities? I almost never see anyone use it, yet it seems like it would increase the freshness of each game.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Looking back at the Siam game, I probably should have done a 3 city game instead.

I went Tradition and did the Legalism trick where you use it to get 4 free Wats. Waiting on the fourth city delayed me too long, and having to go through the Peity tree fast enough to get Jesuit Education made it so that finishing up Tradition took a really long time. I ended up buying the aqueducts instead of using the Tradition finisher since that would have taken way too long.

I ended up founding 5 cities, too, just so I could have a city that has more than one jungle tile on it, so that I could get a screenshot like the one you see there.

They should have found a way to make Ashurbanipal have a popped collar and a cheap beer in hand. If they can't add Brosef Stalin he's the next best "bro" kind of leader in the game.

DoktorZaius

Neo Member
Does not settling your first city right away put you at a huge disadvantage? I've always wondered that. I end up just settling where I start.
I found where I start most of the time, but if I think moving 1 space and then founding the same turn will yield a better city, I'm totally willing to do that. I always move my warrior first, and try to sit him on a hill that will give me enough vision to allow me to make an informed decision on where my city should be placed.

Sometimes I'll move on to a hill and then found on turn 2 if I think that position will be significantly better than the starting position. Founding on a hill nets you 2 hammers instead of 1 for your city's tile yield, so it can make up for that lost turn over time. The only downside to founding on a hill, as far as I know, is that you can't build a Windmill there much later in the game. But thousands of years of production and defensive bonus by founding on the hill usually makes it worth it regardless.

I really screwed things up with Brazil, but instead of just restarting the game I decided to give the middle finger to Suleiman and his shenanigans and build up the last line of Brazil's defense.

1024x576.resizedimage

Good luck sacking this, Ottoman scum.

Can somebody please help me, I bought both expansions last night but when I launch the game it only has Gods and Kings, and only says Gods and Kings in the DLC list in-game. Steam says I own both and that the content will be installed automatically but it's clearly not installed. I can't find a way to just manually download it. On Mac if that matters.

Sibylus

Banned
Can somebody please help me, I bought both expansions last night but when I launch the game it only has Gods and Kings, and only says Gods and Kings in the DLC list in-game. Steam says I own both and that the content will be installed automatically but it's clearly not installed. I can't find a way to just manually download it. On Mac if that matters.
What were the exact transactions?

Also, right-click->Properties, verify the integrity of your game cache. Toggle Brave New World on in the DLC list once it shows up (assuming it doesn't activate automatically).

Maledict

So do you guys use random personalities? I almost never see anyone use it, yet it seems like it would increase the freshness of each game.

Never use it. The majority of AIs are coded to match their unique units and abilities and to take advantage of them. Randomising personalities means you might end up with peaceful, tree hugging Huns and insanely warlike trading nations. It has the potential to weaken the AI without ny real benefits.

Plus each AI is slightly randomised anyways - they get + or - 2 for each score randomly at the start of the game, so you can easily end up with religious mad Russians, wonder crazed Chinese etc but remaining within their overall normal personality & victory goal settings.

Giard

I just realized that the game is a lot smoother when I run it in DX9. However, the Steam Overlay doesn't work when I play this way. It does work when playing DX11.

Anybody have a solution for this? Tried googling it, to no avail.

Is there a way to use the official DLC map scripts in the "Singleplayer" mode? For instance, I'd like to play the Large Islands map script, but since I'm shallow I don't want to play it in the mods section because I won't get achievements.

KePoW

Banned
Is there a way to use the official DLC map scripts in the "Singleplayer" mode? For instance, I'd like to play the Large Islands map script, but since I'm shallow I don't want to play it in the mods section because I won't get achievements.

Yes, you can choose Large Islands map type in Singleplayer with achievemets.

Heh, went on an early conquest spree with the Mongols on a pangea map...........got my ass handed to me as every civ declared war on me :(

Go into advanced set up for your game - you'll have the full list of maps available. For some reason the normal options only allows you to use the very basic maps from vanilla.

You need to click Advanced Setup in Singleplayer.

Ah, thanks. And for the record, Assyria is awesommmmmmmmmme. I'm completely dominating in both domination and science. It's a snowball of death, and my economy and happiness aren't awful. I think I may have found my favorite warmonger.

Dysun

Anybody know a cheaper way to pick up Gods and Kings instead of for $30 through Steam?

Missed the sale and feel bad paying 22 dollars more at this point, I saw some sales on ebay or those other CD key sites but I don't know which ones are reputable

Dumb Dido, declares war on me and only manages to take out 3-4 units before retreating and not talking peace until I easily take Rio which she had captured from Brazil

Esch

Banned
Nothing worse than a civ you've DoFed conquering cities closer and closer to you, all of your relationship indicates green.... Isabella is trying to sneak up on me, little does she know im about to upgrade riflemen and gatling guns in one fell swoop. And I will denounce and strike first for sure...

Esch

Banned
Assyria is really powerful. Imagine if it had been included in GnK, would have been completely ridiculous. Early warfare isnt quite as viable as used to be imo....

How's Arabia in gods and kings and brave new world? They seem pretty strong in bnw

Also what settings do you guys recommend if u were to play this at a LAN with 5-8 ppl

Assyria is really powerful. Imagine if it had been included in GnK, would have been completely ridiculous. Early warfare isnt quite as viable as used to be imo....

Tradition early warfare is hard to pull off (the old school style 4 city into composite bow rush) , Liberty early warfare is awesome. I've been cappin' AI capitals before Education (t100-120) all weekend on Deity.

Late game warfare can be a nightmare vs. certain AIs. Shaka pushed one million on the solider count by the end of my last game, but I had nukes and 20 techs on him so it's not like he could do anything.

Top Bottom